• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Eight Directional Whipping

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
So in Super Castlevania IV, the game that Smash Simon is most based off of, Simon is able to whip in eight different directions from the air. I don't think this was featured in the trailer, but it would be extremely character appropriate for Simon to be able to aim his whip for aerials in those directions, essentially giving you nine aerials counting neutral air.

Given that they even adapted the goofy limp whip flopping around you could do in that game, I don't think it's that far fetched that he could break aerial conventions and have those eight directions as that would be his best adaptation.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Fair, bair and uair have been seen as those specific swings... I think down air is a drop kick though (and neutral air is a quick rotating of the whip)

I think that ive seen a diagonal angled Fair though...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I noticed that none of the pictures or videos of Richter have 8 directional whipping.

I wonder if that's a difference between the characters since Richter can't do that

JadeRock 5599

Smash Cadet
I think I seen something at like a 45 degree. It definitely wasn't straight up or forward. This sounds kinda op as how would you dodge him in the air besides the laggy directional airdodge?

JadeRock 5599

Smash Cadet
If he can go 8 directions it sounds op and would be hard to dodge. His edgegaurd with these could be insane.

Edit: Sorry it lagged and first post didn't appear at first.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I noticed that none of the pictures or videos of Richter have 8 directional whipping.

I wonder if that's a difference between the characters since Richter can't do that
Ah, good point! Maybe that's the difference between Simon and Richter. Simon has the eight directional whip from Super Castlevania IV. Richter doesn't have it because it wasn't in Rondo of Blood.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
The tether was VERY interesting because it was off of a bair. Useful because it means he doesn't need to turn around to zair! But maybe annoying depending on how it works.
wait so if he can grab ledge with an actual aerial attack that means his tether also gets a significant hit box to counteract edge guarding. that could really help his recovery.

JadeRock 5599

Smash Cadet
wait so if he can grab ledge with an actual aerial attack that means his tether also gets a significant hit box to counteract edge guarding. that could really help his recovery.
Does it have a hitbox while it tethers though? I know like Link could zair to attack but the tether didn't have a hitbox if I recall correctly.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
Ah, good point! Maybe that's the difference between Simon and Richter. Simon has the eight directional whip from Super Castlevania IV. Richter doesn't have it because it wasn't in Rondo of Blood.
Richter has it. Check his character showcase vid.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
They don't have 8 way whipping. They can tilt their side aerial attacks slightly, like Corrin's fsmash.

Though Link can tilt his side-b up to 45° so who knows. But I never saw an upward whip anything less than straight up.

The "limp whip" appeared in Melee.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace

I'm sure Richter can do it too, we just haven't seen it yet

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You can't whip straight down in the air because that's a dive kick.

Last edited:

Psychoace

Smash Champion
They don't have 8 way whipping. They can tilt their side aerial attacks slightly, like Corrin's fsmash.

Though Link can tilt his side-b up to 45° so who knows. But I never saw an upward whip anything less than straight up.

The "limp whip" appeared in Melee.
The point is is that its the first time you can tilt an aerial. Youve been able to angle smash attacks since melee.

Top Bottom