• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Effective combos against heavy characters.

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
Due to :4falcon:'s weight dependent D-throw, I struggle a lot playing :4falcon: against a lot of the heavy characters; more specifically the super heavyweights like :4bowser::4dedede::4ganondorf::4dk: and :4charizard: for the simple fact that they are able to freely airdodge or jump away from all of my aerials after a D-throw. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I try and read the airdodge and follow it up with an aerial or another grab but all of these characters love to just jump out of the way because they don't face the risk of being combo'd after a D-throw. I even tried a reverse aerial rush (quick turn around B-air) after a D-throw and apparently, that isn't quick enough because my opponent can just DI away from me and jump in one direction to avoid the attack.

Also, getting the knee kill confirm is almost non-existent in these matchups because the end lag after a D-throw on them gives them enough time to jump away. Does anyone have any tips when it comes to these heavy characters? Also, any good combos that actually work on them?

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
fthrow into dash attack then a uair-nair 50/50 works at around 20-30%, later on you can do the usual dthrow to uair or double uair, which works like cake on the guys. Fthrow into nair also works, if they airdodge it you can punish them. At 45-55, you can do a fthrow into SH uair, not sure if this leads into much but its still a good combo. You can also do a FH Uair out of fthrow at the same percent for some pretty mean combos.

Last edited:

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
fthrow into dash attack then a uair-nair 50/50 works at around 20-30%, later on you can do the usual dthrow to uair or double uair, which works like cake on the guys. Fthrow into nair also works, if they airdodge it you can punish them. At 45-55, you can do a fthrow into SH uair, not sure if this leads into much but its still a good combo. You can also do a FH Uair out of fthrow at the same percent for some pretty mean combos.
Thanks bro! I'll look into these combos.

Safelg123

Smash Cadet
yea you can ff upairs on heavy's shield and it's a pain for them becasue they don't have any good options after it since its a good mixup tool and a spacing tool aswell

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
yea you can ff upairs on heavy's shield and it's a pain for them becasue they don't have any good options after it since its a good mixup tool and a spacing tool aswell
Thanks guys! This has actually helped a lot! I'm getting better results using these strategies.

Top Bottom