• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Eevee - How the Evolution Pokemon could work for Smash!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Screenshot 2018-06-24 02.20.43.jpg
Screenshot 2018-06-24 02.21.30.jpg

Eevee (and all its eeveelutions) for Smash

This can be (but doesn't have to be) both a support thread for Eevee for Smash Brothers as well as (especially) theory crafting for how the character and its evolutions could be included. It can be or inspire a model. It may be farfetched for Ultimate at this time, but still has potential in general, or for a next game, or how about just playing with the ideas for fun even.
Though with the new pokemon game coming (Pokemon Let's go Eevee), eevee has more reason than ever to be in smash as playable.

How can the evolution pokemon be in smash with all its forms? Easy, by making its evolutions into transformations (like clone characters with slight differences for their specialized stats). Its development time would be sped up by making good use of what's programmed into the initial unevolved form and then just adding a % difference for attributes (dmg, speed, etc) on evolutions.
An idea for how eevee can evolve could be to choose an evolution stone (or triggers) at some point, either before battle, when the battle starts, or during battle. During battle could include a Trainer on the field, either as an event, or in the background like Pokemon Trainer. (Eevee trainer in this case). Another idea for 'during battle' is that it could take a little bit of battling before the stone takes effect (either in general or by actually fighting, etc). Then the pokemon it turns into would remain on the field as the evolved form.

Pokemon-Sun-and-Moon-Eeveelution-1024x518.jpg

Each evolution could play like eevee yet have a uniform bigger model (they could all have the same hitboxes, while eevee would have smaller ones), and there's the opportunity to make them as unique as time allows, and ideally they have their specialized stats (for speed, atk, etc), and Eevee could have something too, maybe in his b-attacks, to compensate for having less. The B-Specials could have any number of them unique to each evolution, depending on design time possible. It could be as simple as adding 1 to 5 unique attacks, and the rest can be the same as eevee. It could also be re-using some of the elemental attacks from other characters. In example, Flareon could have a more toned down version of flare blitz and Flame thrower. (And those are moves you could see on it, including flame thrower since it has decent special attack) But in general there's potential for more unique moves too.

To explain more how their stats (inspired by the stats they have in pokemon games) could easily be implemented in smash brothers, it's possible to have 3 stats that are some % higher, associated with their strengths. In example, Vaporeon isn't fast, it's bulky and specially strong, so it could be slower than the evolutions that have more speed, but take less damage and knockback because its defenses are good. The change in their stats in smash doesn't have to be by a big margin, depending on however much is deemed a good amount to be viable as well as balanced, but I think it's safe to chance a decent % in order to have variety between them.

If it takes this route and each stat is related to one in smash, Higher Attack could mean higher Damage of attacks, while higher Special Attack could be knockback. This would make it interesting(!) and easily determined across the board, A-attacks could most likely be considered physical attacks by pokemon standards, which is why I'm suggesting to change knockback for the special side of stats. Defense and Special Defense could be for how much it resists damage and knockback.
So, in example, Vaporeon would deal lower damage (than the physical attackers), but have higher knockback and be strong (defensive) against damage as well as knockback (maybe we can call that knockback defense rather than 'special'--just to be clearer for smash) , Flareon would have high damage and knockback but not be fast like the speedy evolutions, and would take less knock back but take more damage (because its Defense isn't good like its Special Defense). HP could matter for both def and Kockback defense (K-Def) {maybe weight, which is kinda related to defense against knockback}.

Here's a list for which stats are higher for each eeveelution, inspired by their actual stats in pokemon. [For simplicity I'm only putting their strengths, in order of their strongest to lowest (in case that would matter)]
Stats in this model:
'Speed' is movement speed (don't know if attack speed should be changed), Attack increases damage given, Defense decreases damage taken, 'Sp.Atk' means Kockback on attacks increase, 'Sp.Def' is Knockback taken decreases, & 'HP' is Defense+Knockback-Def {or/& weight}

Vaporeon - HP, Sp.Atk, Def
Jolteon - Speed, Sp.Atk, Sp.Def
Flareon - Atk, Sp.Def, Sp.Atk
Espeon - Sp.Atk, Speed, Sp.Def
Umbreon - Sp.Def, Def, HP
Leafeon - Def, Atk, Speed
Glaceon - Sp.Atk, Def, Sp.Def
Sylveon - Sp.Def, Sp.Atk, HP

Each eeveelution would be unique in how they feel thanks to a % amount of stat-change for each strength they'd have, and still be similar enough in other regards, such as hitboxes and moveset(with possibility to add as many uniqe emoves as time permits) to make them easy to implement.

That's the end of the model, at least the start of one. There's lots left to think about, plenty of space to imagine how it could play and what moves it could have. There's other models possible too.
I hope that this at the very least inpsires imagination as to making this character a possibility, both for people to wonder about, as well as potentially influence game developpers--who knows anything is possible.

Thanks for dropping by, and feel free to share your ideas for any of this, or beyond.
Let's go eevee, in smash!

all_eeveelutions_by_rntwqvd-d5z6y3x.jpg

Additions:

1- More on evolving in battle: There could be a special move for eevee that's similar to Shulk's monado, but once you select one, it takes a little time or battling for the evolution to happen, and when it does it has a little field around, to allow the transformation. Another alternative could be to press certain buttons during taunts, to allow eevee to have all its b-moves. Or both ( like Espeon, Umbreon, and Sylveon could have the special ways to come about). You could change your mind about the evolution and change, but the timer to evolve or whatever would restart if you do.
2- Eevee, unevolved, could be somewhat balanced as a character, even if a little weaker than its evolutions, making it viable to use it by itself. It's an option anyway. In terms of story, we could say that its 'Adaptability' (an ability it has in games) makes it somewhat strong, Eviolite (an item in games) makes it somewhat tough, and then it has speed investment to make it all around balanced.
3- Each evolution could have an element to their attacks, like squirtle and pikachu, which would look cool and could justify a better hitbox zone.

Attachments

Last edited:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Eevee wont happen he's appear in a poke ball I think its a good right making Eevee as a fighter will be difficult.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was kind of hoping for a rival trainer with Eevee, something (IDK, Kadabra? I didn't really think much into it), and Blastoise

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't think it's too hard to remove 1 pokemon from the pokeballs in order to make a character. But if you mean the likelihood of eevee already being in the game, then you're right, it's not that likely. It could still be done, but that'd be with spare resources & ingenuity. (or just passion)

I still think it's fun to support the idea, it's one of my favorite pokemon and a lot of other people like it too, and in the worst case, it can be for a future smash game, or even another game. Of course though, I'd like it for Ultimate :D

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Probably a good note. If they have to be merged, then so be it.
Should've thought of that before, but I didn't think t it mattered too much since I'm also trying to focus on the ideas I brought up. If it does, then we can join them or whatever works.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Sure. If it's determined that this thread is too similar than the other one, we can deal with it however's good.
(I think it's unique enough to have its own place, but maybe not in newcomer speculation, dunno, depends how you want to look at it)

Last edited:
Top Bottom