• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edward Falcon/Power Stone Support Thread

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium

Who is Edward Falcon?/What is Power Stone? (Updated July 2020)
Power Stone is a fighting game series by Capcom and Edward Falcon is the most recognizable fighter from the roster similar to cases like Ryu & Street Fighter. The series consisted of 2 games on the Dreamcast that were released in 1999 & 2000. Both games were also combined for a PSP re-release in 2006. Since then nothing new has released although a similar game titled Lastfight came out in 2016 by an indie studio and was ported to the Switch in 2020 (and who knows maybe there are other similar games I am unaware of).

Why should this be in Smash?
The series (at least among the people I have talked to irl that know of it) is sometimes roughly compared to Smash but in 3D. There is no competitive side as crazy items and transforming stages are always on but Smash can get like that & still be a blast to a lot of people especially when playing with friends. That in a 3D world is what makes this series very memorial for some people and led to its cult following. It is an obscure series that would need to be re-visited and brought to a Nintendo platform to even have a shot plus there are a lot of other more qualified Capcom reps to pick from but this would still be a cool nod & addition for Smash.

Moveset by Speed Weed Speed Weed (Updated June 2020)

Alright, since I still can't figure out how to upload images, please refer to this video for reference and for better visualizing his moves.
First of all, a crash course: Who is Edward Falcon?
Edward Falcon is the protagonist of Power Stone, a 3D arena fighter released by Capcom for the arcades and the Dreamcast, and its sequel. An aviator/boxer in the anime, Edward hails from the totally-not-a-certain-real-world-location land of Londo, and his main goal is to find the legendary Power Stones. Since his appearance in his own (dead) series, he's shown up here and there, namely as a small cameo in Capcom VS SNK 2, a card in Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3's Heroes and Heralds mode, and, most surprisingly of them all, a DLC costume in Dead Rising 3 of all things (Not even I was aware of this last one before researching all his cameos!)

OK. Now we cover the basics, or rather, the overall theming of his moveset. So, Edward himself is just punchy-kicky man, admittedly. BUT, there's two things in particular that make him EXPLODE in moveset potential: his super form and items. The super form we'll get to later, but items are, well, items in his original game. When added to his moveset, they basically make him an arsenal of cartoony weapons. And trust me, i had to leave out a TON in this moveset. For reference, Power Stone 2 had OVER 100 ITEMS. Yeah, this moveset doesn't cover all of his potential, but tbf it'd be impossible to stuff all that in one moveset, so i just went with the ones i felt flew better in the context of Smash.

Now before we get to the main event, I'd like to mention his smash attacks, as they also use items. Of course, stuff like his jab combo, tilts and grabs would all just be run-of-the-mill brawling.
Forward Smash: Edward swings a pipe forward.
Up Smash: Edward pulls out a sword (oh boy) and slashes upwards.
Down Smash: Edward pulls out a giant hammer and SLAMS it on the ground.

Alright, it's Special time:
Neutral Special: Machine Gun: Yes, a literal mother****ing machine gun. Starting off on the right foot, ain't we? Well, it's a big cartoony machine gun, to be more specific. When using it, Edward stays in place, and you can let it last for as long as you want by simply holding the B button.
Side Special: Crate Kick: Edward kicks one of a selection of stage objects from the first game forward. So not just crates: barrels, chairs, tables, vases, benches, trash cans...Great for ruining attempts at recovery.
Up Special: I honestly don't know what to name this one: Edward does a simple jump. It's got decent height. HOWEVER, if Edward makes contact with an opponent during it, he will grab them midair and slam them down. It's like a non-tether, shorter-ranged version of Byleth's up-B. This is an actual move of his from the first game, and i wanted to incorporate it into his moveset in some way.
Down Special: Item Shop: Now here's where things get interesting. So, a new feature in Power Stone 2 was the item shop. It brought a whole load of new items with it, as I mentioned before. So, with this, instead of going for just one, I decided to have a 4-in-1 and give Edward a not-as-nearly-as-gimmicky version of Command Select. So, when using it, a menu gets pulled up, and from it you can choose to use one of 4 weapons:
Soccer Ball: This was Edward's special unique item of sorts in the game. He kicks a soccer ball, and it works more or less like the Soccer Ball item we already have, minus the flames.
Bazooka: Edward shoots a few shots, does decent damage, not much else to be said here other than it's a goddamn bazooka.
Flame Rod (i think that's what it was called): Edward pulls out said rod and shoots 3 fire orbs at the opponent.
Fire Bottle: Edward throws the bottle at the opponent, engulfing them in flames. There we have it boys, our first Smash fighter to wield an actual molotov.

Now, we got a real shake-up coming: his Power Stone meter. It consists of three little Power Stone icons, and when Edward does a certain amount of damage, one of the icons fills up and so on until he becomes his super form. This pretty much gives him a whole second moveset. Keep in mind that I'm not naming most of the specials this time cause as of this writing I don't remember the names.
Neutral Special (Super Form): Edward shoots a single missile.
Side Special (Super Form): Edward dashes knee-first into the opponent. I'm taking away the original ability to perform this move multiple times at once as to not run the risk of having another Bayo on our hands.
Up Special (Super Form): Power Hurricane: Edward performs a flaming uppercut.
Down Special (Super Form): Edward fires 5 small homing missiles at the opponent. Not a lot of knockback.
And now, the big one:
Final Smash for both forms: Red Whirlwind (named after his canon moniker ala Red Baron): Edward turns into his super form (or stays in it, it depends), kicks the opponent into the air and fires an absolute BARRAGE of missiles. It's like Snake's Final Smash on steroids.

Stage/Music Ideas
Once again among people irl who I have talked to about Power Stone, Blue Sky Area seems to be the most memorable stage. It would be tough to capture everything the original has but would be amazing to see pulled off.

Spirit Ideas

Ryoma: Primary, Sword Attack Up

Rouge: Primary, Fire/Explosion Resist Up

Galuda: Support, Fist Attack Up

Ayame: Support, Thrown Items Up

Accel: Support, Ray Gun Equipped

Pete: Primary, No Effect

Julia: Support, Floaty Jumps

Pride Falcon: Primary, Rocket Belt Equipped

Mel: Support, Item Auto Grab

Supporters
nirvanafan nirvanafan
H Herocin
toonito toonito
Speed Weed Speed Weed
Pizza Robo Pizza Robo
ninjahmos ninjahmos
C chocolatejr9
GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741
ClaudeandCamilla ClaudeandCamilla
CroonerMike CroonerMike

UPDATE (August 2019)
This article came was released. Really cool to see some discussion of a future for Power Stone (and even potentially on Switch) especially from someone who worked on the series. I still do not have high hopes for a Power Stone Revival soon let alone a Smash inclusion but this is at least a step in right direction.

UPDATE (July 2020)
PapaGenos released a video discussing a July 2020 Direct "leak". As many including myself expected it turned out to be fake but something noteworthy from it is that it did mention Power Stone 3 (4:58). Regardless of the outcome it is still nice to see a future for the franchise being brought up again.

UPDATE (November 2020)
Please see this post from little later in the thread. Thanks again to Speed Weed Speed Weed .

Thanks for checking out this thread!

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Pretty cool thread. I’ll support. Power Stone really does need some more love. It was nice hearing the creator saying he’d like to make a remaster one day and it was a very fun and innovative game for its time. Original post could use some spry icing up a bit like a moveset. Could have a gimmick that involves collecting power stones and then transforming into their power change form. Edward is obviously the no brainer pick being the closest thing the game has to a mascot and all

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Pretty cool thread. I’ll support. Power Stone really does need some more love. It was nice hearing the creator saying he’d like to make a remaster one day and it was a very fun and innovative game for its time. Original post could use some spry icing up a bit like a moveset. Could have a gimmick that involves collecting power stones and then transforming into their power change form. Edward is obviously the no brainer pick being the closest thing the game has to a mascot and all
supports edward for smash :)
Thanks for supporting added you both to the list.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
hey uh
this thread is very old at this point, but i just wanna say i absolutely support edward falcon too
power stone is mad fun, i love his design and imo he'd fit right at home in smash

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Count me in! I think we could use another Capcom character for Smash! We need Edward Falcon to have his own stage with music from Power Stone 1 and Power Stone 2! Both originals and new remixes. They should get Tetsuya Shibata to do a Smash remix.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Count me in! I think we could use another Capcom character for Smash! We need Edward Falcon to have his own stage with music from Power Stone 1 and Power Stone 2! Both originals and new remixes. They should get Tetsuya Shibata to do a Smash remix.
actually tetsuya shibata has already done remixes for smash

also

i did an edward falcon moveset and posted it on the newcomer thread a while back
if this could be added to the op, i'd very much appreciate it
Alright, since I still can't figure out how to upload images, please refer to this video for reference and for better visualizing his moves.
First of all, a crash course: Who is Edward Falcon?
Edward Falcon is the protagonist of Power Stone, a 3D arena fighter released by Capcom for the arcades and the Dreamcast, and its sequel. An aviator/boxer in the anime, Edward hails from the totally-not-a-certain-real-world-location land of Londo, and his main goal is to find the legendary Power Stones. Since his appearance in his own (dead) series, he's shown up here and there, namely as a small cameo in Capcom VS SNK 2, a card in Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3's Heroes and Heralds mode, and, most surprisingly of them all, a DLC costume in Dead Rising 3 of all things (Not even I was aware of this last one before researching all his cameos!)

OK. Now we cover the basics, or rather, the overall theming of his moveset. So, Edward himself is just punchy-kicky man, admittedly. BUT, there's two things in particular that make him EXPLODE in moveset potential: his super form and items. The super form we'll get to later, but items are, well, items in his original game. When added to his moveset, they basically make him an arsenal of cartoony weapons. And trust me, i had to leave out a TON in this moveset. For reference, Power Stone 2 had OVER 100 ITEMS. Yeah, this moveset doesn't cover all of his potential, but tbf it'd be impossible to stuff all that in one moveset, so i just went with the ones i felt flew better in the context of Smash.

Now before we get to the main event, I'd like to mention his smash attacks, as they also use items. Of course, stuff like his jab combo, tilts and grabs would all just be run-of-the-mill brawling.
Forward Smash: Edward swings a pipe forward.
Up Smash: Edward pulls out a sword (oh boy) and slashes upwards.
Down Smash: Edward pulls out a giant hammer and SLAMS it on the ground.

Alright, it's Special time:
Neutral Special: Machine Gun: Yes, a literal mother****ing machine gun. Starting off on the right foot, ain't we? Well, it's a big cartoony machine gun, to be more specific. When using it, Edward stays in place, and you can let it last for as long as you want by simply holding the B button.
Side Special: Crate Kick: Edward kicks one of a selection of stage objects from the first game forward. So not just crates: barrels, chairs, tables, vases, benches, trash cans...Great for ruining attempts at recovery.
Up Special: I honestly don't know what to name this one: Edward does a simple jump. It's got decent height. HOWEVER, if Edward makes contact with an opponent during it, he will grab them midair and slam them down. It's like a non-tether, shorter-ranged version of Byleth's up-B. This is an actual move of his from the first game, and i wanted to incorporate it into his moveset in some way.
Down Special: Item Shop: Now here's where things get interesting. So, a new feature in Power Stone 2 was the item shop. It brought a whole load of new items with it, as I mentioned before. So, with this, instead of going for just one, I decided to have a 4-in-1 and give Edward a not-as-nearly-as-gimmicky version of Command Select. So, when using it, a menu gets pulled up, and from it you can choose to use one of 4 weapons:
Soccer Ball: This was Edward's special unique item of sorts in the game. He kicks a soccer ball, and it works more or less like the Soccer Ball item we already have, minus the flames.
Bazooka: Edward shoots a few shots, does decent damage, not much else to be said here other than it's a goddamn bazooka.
Flame Rod (i think that's what it was called): Edward pulls out said rod and shoots 3 fire orbs at the opponent.
Fire Bottle: Edward throws the bottle at the opponent, engulfing them in flames. There we have it boys, our first Smash fighter to wield an actual molotov.

Now, we got a real shake-up coming: his Power Stone meter. It consists of three little Power Stone icons, and when Edward does a certain amount of damage, one of the icons fills up and so on until he becomes his super form. This pretty much gives him a whole second moveset. Keep in mind that I'm not naming most of the specials this time cause as of this writing I don't remember the names.
Neutral Special (Super Form): Edward shoots a single missile.
Side Special (Super Form): Edward dashes knee-first into the opponent. I'm taking away the original ability to perform this move multiple times at once as to not run the risk of having another Bayo on our hands.
Up Special (Super Form): Power Hurricane: Edward performs a flaming uppercut.
Down Special (Super Form): Edward fires 5 small homing missiles at the opponent. Not a lot of knockback.
And now, the big one:
Final Smash for both forms: Red Whirlwind (named after his canon moniker ala Red Baron): Edward turns into his super form (or stays in it, it depends), kicks the opponent into the air and fires an absolute BARRAGE of missiles. It's like Snake's Final Smash on steroids.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I've never played Power Stone, but I have been curious about it. Problem is, I have no way to play it. However, I've always wondered if there was a reason why Capcom dropped it as hard as they did, since it seemed to have a lot of potential.

Oh well. They could always add a Power Stone character to Street Fighter.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
GUESS WHO'S BACK

BACK AGAIN
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Thanks for sharing, have not really been following the Capcom leak so I probably would have missed this otherwise.

This is pretty exciting information, lines up perfectly with the series 25th Anniversary too. A bit of wait but still appreciative that this is even a consideration,

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Hey!

Now that summer is here and my job is off for the summer, I've had some more free time. Was looking into this thread as i've crack out my old Dreamcast to play Power stone 1 + 2 again. Seeing as there is a potential for a new Power Stone in the future (Leaked maybe?) I though about how it could be possible that Falcon could become a playable character.

Smash never has to end on a HUGE note as we've seen in the past, however I so think the chances of Falcon are slim. Anyway, I was trying to come up with a cool moveset idea when I kept running into the idea of Falcon Transforming...however we already have a few "Meter" characters. For example, Joker with Arsène. Sephiroth has the comeback mechanic with the "winged form". As for Kazuya, its too early to tell, but I assuming The Devil Kazuya is just apart of the moveset.

So, I like to be different...In Power Stone 2, you spend more time in your Transformation form even when doing bigger attacks. What if instead of starting as Falcon you start as his Power Change form? The more Specials you use his Meter drops. While this can seem like a disadvantage throughout a match, you ultimately could recharge back your meter and return to Power Change Mode again.

I am not the most creative with movesets so I only focused on the specials lol.

Specials:
Neutral Special: Power Missile- Shoots on or more missiles
Up Special: Power Hurricane- Spinning uppercut on fire (This was in Power stone 1) Unfortunately another beloved fighter uses this move too Cough Ken Cough
Side Specials: Power Rocket- This move Falcon charges into the opponent, Can be angled so he can go upward too.
Down Special: Counter- Ok I know, its a cheap out to use a Counter but I'd say he can counter by Grabbing the person and throwing them on their back.

When Falcon powers down his specials are

Neutral Special: Bazooka missile
Up Special: Normal Upper cut
Side Special: Simple Charge run
Down Special: Weaker Counter

Speed Weed Speed Weed personally, I loved your move-set and I think it's 100% more creative/better than mine. I just wanted to give a quick shot at something. Also definitely used some of your ideas for credits to you as well :)

Anyway, I made a quick mock up of a spirit-board for fun, if using my idea for Falcon already being in Power Change Mode, I made all the spirits in Power Change mode: Spirit Board

Last edited:
Top Bottom