• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Editorial: Let’s Talk About Nightmare

editorial-lets-talk-about-nightmare.png

Editorial Disclaimer: The views, opinions, positions or strategies expressed by the authors and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not necessarily reflect those of Smashboards. Smashboards makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, correctness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions or delays in this information or any losses, injuries or damages arising from its display or use.

“So what happened, he ****ed a 15-year-old, they had consensual sex, yes, that’s what happened,” William “Trulliam” Truong stated, rather matter-of-factly on his stream. “Okay, that’s the story. Is it not good? It is against the law, yes, and that’s what sexual interference was.”

On September 24th, Trulliam ranted on his Twitch stream about charges that Vikram “Nightmare” Bassi, a fellow Canadian and Super Smash Bros. Melee player, had been convicted of. Nightmare’s proclivity for minors was something of an open secret amongst Canadian smashers. It was talked about, joked about and defended by friends of the player. To make matters worse, when the rest of the community started to catch wind of this, we still let it pass and fester for months before any bans were put into place.

So how did we get here? How did we, as a community, let this happen?

On July 12th, 2018, JoshRoboticphish Kassel, a member of the Harassment Task Force, made a public post about potential legal threats to their mission. These threats came from a player who was accused of having a sexual relationship with a minor. At the time of posting, there were some rumblings that this may be referring to the Canadian Marth player Nightmare, but there wasn’t much evidence to support the claims. This changed drastically on July 16th, when Nightmare posted a “legal document” on his Twitter. This document identified Nightmare as the accused party and attempted to dismiss the charges, but it did so in an oddly specific manner that led many to question both its validity and the underlying message.

Between July 16th and September 24th, when Trulliam let it slip on stream that the allegations were true, Nightmare continued to compete at local tournaments in Ontario. He was even allowed to play at Dreamhack Montreal, under the condition that none of his games would be played on stream. Organizations like Even Matchup Gaming and Player5, Nightmare’s current sponsor, continued to support Nightmare while knowing full well that these allegations were out there.

This should have all been over on July 16th. This should have been the end of the discussion, and a ban should have been handed out, but it wasn’t. This is largely because of people like Trulliam. Trulliam knew the truth; he knew that Nightmare was convicted of sexual interference. (Sexual interference is a legal term exclusive to Canada that describes a person who, for a sexual purpose, touches, directly or indirectly, with a part of the body or with an object, any part of the body of a person under the age of 16 years.) But rather than admit the truth, he actively enabled and supported a convicted pedophile.

It goes beyond just Trulliam and other Ontario players like Ryan Ford though. Even Matchup Gaming finally released a statement indefinitely banning Nightmare from future events, but where were they through July and August? Are we really supposed to applaud an action that came two months late, an action that only came because it was going to hurt business if they didn’t do something? Even Alex Jebailey’s agreement for Dreamhack Montreal was a half-assed effort to find a middle ground that, frankly, doesn’t exist in this type of situation. This issue is bigger than just organizations and a few twisted players though. Are we, as a community, really so concerned with our grassroots origins and our ability to be “non-esports” that we’re willing to let literal pedophiles off the hook?

There’s no room for growth as a community if we continue to place the interests of people like Trulliam, Ryan Ford and Nightmare over the safety of all of our players. This community wants to talk about how we can make it friendlier to women, how we can attract new players from all over the globe and of all ages, but we can’t even come together and agree that being a convicted pedophile is a bannable offense. We shouldn’t be happy that Nightmare was banned. We should be disappointed in ourselves, and the community at large, for letting this go on for so long.

But hey, don’t let me get you down, go ahead and pat yourself on the back for retweeting that anti-pedophilia tweet your favorite top player posted two days after Trulliam slipped up. With the way the Melee community has shown itself to operate, I’m sure we’ll never find ourselves in a similar situation in the future. Just remember that while you and I may have the privilege of looking at this situation through screens from miles away, there are very real victims that will feel the lasting impact of Nightmare’s actions for the rest of their lives. Emilyemilywaves Sun was kind enough to share a portion of the victim’s impact statement from Nightmare’s case on Twitter, and I think it’s worth reading, if only to serve as a reminder that this isn’t just about the competitive nature of a kid’s party game—it’s about real people and their effect on others around them.

We can learn and grow from this situation. We can be so much better than this. I know we can, because we have to be.

Michael "SuperCres" Ashby

Comments

Live and learn from your mistakes its all I can say on such a subject.
That's a hell of a lot harder for the victim than for him. If there's even a marginal chance of this incident being repeated, no one owes it to him to enable that. He's losing a particular avenue of access to a hobby, other people have lost and stand to lose much more.

That's a hell of a lot harder for the victim than for him. If there's even a marginal chance of this incident being repeated, no one owes it to him to enable that. He's losing a particular avenue of access to a hobby, other people have lost and stand to lose much more.
I am not talking about the victim, but Nightmare.

If we go down that road, then we will end up putting the blame on 10yo and younger for "saying yes" too, and things will get really nasty. A 15yo has more maturity than a 10yo, but 15 is still not age of consent, for a good damn reason. Just, no, let's not put ourselves down that road.
I mean, to be fair, I kind of get his point, but I still wouldn't blame the 15 year old. I've read of stories and of personal experience online of people who have seen young girls (fill in your age of consent for country or region here, since it varies. For me it's 18) crush hard on teachers, coaches, family friends, etc., and act really friendly towards them, if you feel me. Still, a responsible adult has a moral obligation to shut that down and not play into their fantasies if they're bold enough to approach the adult. take it from a guy who when I was a freshman lusted after a science teacher I had (not that I was ever dumb enough to attempt to go further than that.). If we know that teenage boys can get hormonal and eccentric towards adults they find attractive, to treat women and girls equally is to acknowledge that they too can do the same. Still, it's not their fault if a scummy adult entertains their crushes. As I said, I believe the onus is definitely on adults in those scenarios to say no and not pursue things any further, remove themselves from any even remotely potentially compromising situations if they have to.

I am not talking about the victim, but Nightmare.
I understood and my response was that it's an absurd tact to take with a crime as damaging as this. If he cut someone's legs off, would you say "live and learn"? Because we have prosthesis for that, there is much less that can be done for the way that he actually crippled someone.

I understood and my response was that it's an absurd tact to take with a crime as damaging as this. If he cut someone's legs off, would you say "live and learn"? Because we have prosthesis for that, there is much less that can be done for the way that he actually crippled someone.
I get that and I wouldnt say it in for that circumstance. I honestly am just as horrified something like this even happened..

You should really redact all parts of the "pedo" comments, as it has no grounds in this discussion. You're putting yourself and the website in the way of a defamation suit. Calling a relationship with a 15 yr old "pedophilia" is a misrepresentation.

You aren't the courts which handled the case, so why are you trying to be the court of opinion on everything about the matter? Its grossly unprofessional and highly hypocritical.

You don't have to like him or what he did; but drumming up a mob is disgusting.

D
I wanted yo avoid commenting on this due to the subject matter, but after reading the comments, I felt it was necessary to point something out:

http://i.imgur.com/te3FQnP.png

Those of you insisting that punishments should stem beyond that of the legal system due to your own personal moral values, take a moment to consider the age of consent across various parts of the world. What is considered a minor, and what is not is something that is hotly debated, and has been for many years (and it's very hard to debate as well, as people just love to throw ad-homimems when this topic comes up), and is something that can vary a lot depending on cultures, and how quickly those cultures consider people reach maturity. Anyway, not to make the topic any more messy than it already is, point being that this is something that is infringing on Canadian law, and thus should be handled as such. There are a variety of nuances here that are intimate matter between the person accused, and the individual he was in a relationship with, that we don't have any right to be probing into, or making judgments about. Especially since we're an international community, and not one that's strictly Canadian. This is what the legal system, and judges are for. Lynch mobbing someone to satisfy your own personal sense of social justice accomplishes nothing, and only makes the situation more complicated. Doubly, labeling someone as a pedophile for dating someone who was 1 year under the Canadian age of consent, and would be considered legal in many other parts of the world is stupid at best, incidious slander at worst. I'm sure the individual in question knew very well that what he was doing was illegal, and as such has reaped the consequences of his actions though. Was what he did morally wrong? Subjectively speaking I would personally say yes, but from a more objective POV I could argue otherwise. There's simply too many intimate details we'd need in order to reach a better conclusion, and it's honestly none of our business. Punishment under the legal system has been carried out, and the matter has been settled legally, leave it alone and move on. Anything more than that is excessive action from individuals trying to enforce their own moral values as absolute, and that's wrong.

Top Bottom