• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgeguarding with Pikachu

busken

Smash Ace
Due to the fact that Pikachu's great weakness lies in his lack of kill confirms successfully gimping the opponent is mandatory in high level Pikachu Play. With that being said, a thread dedicated to edge guarding techniques, tricks, and tips is of much importance. Please post any tips, techs, tricks, videos, etc concerning edge guarding. Any advice or follow-ups getting the opponent out of neutral is helpful as well.

busken

Smash Ace
Moves that hit characters on the ledge
Thunder Jolt
down tilt
f-tilt angled down; sharp spacing
Thunder
down smash
Most of the combo videos contain u-tilt juggles, punishing jump/air dodge via thunder and tech chases.
Quick Attack Ledge Cancel Kill Setups: Combo Videos:
https://vine.co/v/eB9FbBbWMid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVDHpKJSrxI
https://vine.co/v/O05pP5hZn3u https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxWKPGfhjF4
https://vine.co/v/Ot3YMZqhpie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak-DNwHASqQ
https://vine.co/v/OtvpOTxMBKW https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XrJSHX4tLY
https://vine.co/v/Ojq3vAxibQP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJfk1cP-CbQ
https://vine.co/v/OpEB1a76iTK

Back air is probably Pikachu's Best edge guarding tool. The long duration of the hitbox, semi-spiking properites, and multiple hits help interrupt many recoveries. Here is it in action: https://vine.co/u/1128061844280786944
http://gfycat.com/SecondaryLinedGroundhog

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
B-reversing your Thunder is never a bad idea to edge-guard a recovering opponent.
Yeah can you drop off-ledge B-reverse thunder? I think this is so important because competent players tend to tech since drop off thunder launches them to the bottom of the stage.

DeathlyFerret

Smash Apprentice
Yeah can you drop off-ledge B-reverse thunder? I think this is so important because competent players tend to tech since drop off thunder launches them to the bottom of the stage.
You can, but I don't recommend it, as it could lead to a potential SD if you accidentally fast-fall while initiating the down B. Jumping above the ledge is also safer and easier to recover from if you miss the B-reverse.
What you came up with, though(launching to the bottom of the stage), is still a great idea.

derrykrombo

Smash Cadet
NNID
d_wreck88
maybe im just a scrub, but is the person in those gifs jumping then using thunder? everytime i use thunder off stage i just pray pika doesnt float away from the bolt and i usually wind up sding because im too far to qa back to the ledge. someone please explain what im doing wrong

ExZero

Smash Rookie
maybe im just a scrub, but is the person in those gifs jumping then using thunder? everytime i use thunder off stage i just pray pika doesnt float away from the bolt and i usually wind up sding because im too far to qa back to the ledge. someone please explain what im doing wrong
I believe they jump. I always used to SD as well until I started jumping and instantly using Thunder. Quick Attack can get you back from fairly deep and Thunder gives you that additional boost in height when it hits you. At least, that's how I do it.

DeathlyFerret

Smash Apprentice
He/She is using quick attack cancels to approach quickly and then jumping and using Thunder. If you don't know how to quick attack cancel, check this out. And yes, it's super important to jump before using Thunder offstage. It gives you an extra second or two to position yourself for the Thunder. If you don't jump you might fall to your death. Don't do that to yourself, man.

Last edited:

Soul.

FAir looks like a good edgeguarding tool; not sure if people have been using it more lately. I'm guessing it's the fact that it doesn't KO until high percents?

Thor

Smash Champion
I think fsmash can hit people on the ledge, but you have to space it. I can't test this for a little while [some stuff going on tomorrow] but I think I can probably test it some time this weekend.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
I think fsmash can hit people on the ledge, but you have to space it. I can't test this for a little while [some stuff going on tomorrow] but I think I can probably test it some time this weekend.
I've tested this, you have to hit with the bottom of the ball, but it does hit below the ledge.

busken

Smash Ace
I've tested this, you have to hit with the bottom of the ball, but it does hit below the ledge.
No, this doesn't work on all characters such as ganondorf, greninja, diddy kong, and palutena just to name a few. Also, it only does 12% and your spacing has to be really tight. Thunder does more damage, more knockback, and doesn't require sharp spacing making it more optimal.

FAir looks like a good edgeguarding tool; not sure if people have been using it more lately. I'm guessing it's the fact that it doesn't KO until high percents?
What makes F-air look good at edge guarding? It has low knockback, bad range, and it's multi-hit properties gives more time for the opponent to DI. Nothing really good about F-air in the edge guarding department imo.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
No, this doesn't work on all characters such as ganondorf, greninja, diddy kong, and palutena just to name a few. Also, it only does 12% and your spacing has to be really tight. Thunder does more damage, more knockback, and doesn't require sharp spacing making it more optimal.

What makes F-air look good at edge guarding? It has low knockback, bad range, and it's multi-hit properties gives more time for the opponent to DI. Nothing really good about F-air in the edge guarding department imo.
I've combo'd people into the blastzone with fair before.

That said, one of the hits (4th?) semi-spikes, killing people like doc and mac, and putting everyone else in a hard to react to disadvantaged situation. Pretty useful to get down.

Soul.

Why are you asking me something that I was wondering about lol. I wasn't aware FAir was bad.

busken

Smash Ace
I've combo'd people into the blastzone with fair before.

That said, one of the hits (4th?) semi-spikes, killing people like doc and mac, and putting everyone else in a hard to react to disadvantaged situation. Pretty useful to get down.
If you've combo'd people into the blast zone with f-air before you have amazing timing, but their DI is also pretty bad. Also, it terms of semi-spikes back air completely outclasses it.

Why are you asking me something that I was wondering about lol. I wasn't aware FAir was bad.
Oh sorry, I should pay more attention next time.

Pretty much Pikachu's edge guarding game seems to revolve around manipulating your momentum with special moves, Quick Ledge Cancel, and back air.

O Hobbit

Smash Cadet
You can do a fast fall fair in order to drag people down. This works really well agains peach players. They try to sweet spot the ledge, which makes them recover low. If you fast fall fair them and drag them down, you got the stock.

busken

Smash Ace
Understanding Thunder and all the ways it can be used is very important. It seems when the thundercloud spikes them down to Pikachu the direction they're launched depends on the angle of the spike. If you spike them right from the middle of the thundercloud into pikachu they will go to the right. If you spike them slightly left of the thundercloud spike hitbox they will be sent to your left side of Pikachu's body sending them to the left. Slightly right, they will also be sent to the right. This positioning is really important because if you are the right side of the stage and they are sent to the opposite side of the blast zone that would be a bummer, and they probably won't die. Also, manipulating your momentum is really important. It seems the right side of the thunderbolt launches them to the right, and left side launches them to the left. So if you are the right side of the stage you want to position and manipulate your thunderbolt to hit them at the left side so it can stage spike, and vice-versa. The stage spike is usually more rewarding then the thunderbolt hitting them because the actual bolt only does 8% and doesn't have the bad knock back. If you don't go for the stage spike you'll get people living at +120%. Like in this video at 5:06 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw1elkJwtDo
Even if they tech the stage, if you are on-stage you can usually just spam thunder jolt since they probably already lost their jump. This is want you want watch from the beginning of the video to 0:10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVDHpKJSrxI

Last edited:

LightswornKing

Smash Rookie
FAir isn't that bad edge guarding wise tbh. Against characters like falcon ad link this is very usfull since its hard to hit link or falcon with BAir out of there up and if you try using BAir before they start it you could possibly die.

Also what about NAir? If timed right it can beat out some moves and has high knockback to get them way off the stage. And droping down and thundering isn't that bad of an idea either, such a long hitbox and if done a bit sparingly you can catch your opponent off guard and spike them.

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
People say that Pikachu is very good at edge guarding and I believe that but the positioning is so difficult compared to other characters. Even other good edge guarders like pit, meta knight, jigglypuff, etc. Mastering edge guarding is required in mastering pikachu. I feel like with his tools if the opponent is off-stage you should always be able to take the stock.

Last edited:

Legato

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LLegato
I wouldn't undersell the fair spike. I have taken many stocks with it off of Cpt. Falcon by conditioning them with bair. If they recover low, bair works great, if they decide to double jump above you after being conditioned with gimped bairs, then you have the perfect position for a fair stage spike.

It is severely conditional, but a good mix-up tool. Overall I do agree that bair, nair, QAC, and thunders are the best options in general.

Oddly enough t-jolt works on some stages and characters. I have gimped an Ike by approaching with t-jolt to stall his recovery enough for a bair. T-jolt also works if you were too slow to reach the ledge and want a frame trap. Not ideal though since you should have been quicker then! Good work busken.

Last edited:

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
People say that Pikachu is very good at edge guarding and I believe that but the positioning is so difficult compared to other characters. Even other good edge guarders like pit, meta knight, jigglypuff, etc. Mastering edge guarding is required in mastering pikachu. I feel like with his tools if the opponent is off-stage you should always be able to take the stock.
Pikachu's edgeguarding is a bit overrated. In some situations, someone like DK is much better at edgeguarding than Pikachu. It's just so much easier with him, because you just have to jump out there and throw out that giant hitbox that bair has and it will kill too. Catching people in Pikachu's fair/bair spikes doesn't even guarantee kills if they have good recoveries.

busken

Smash Ace
Pikachu's edgeguarding is a bit overrated. In some situations, someone like DK is much better at edgeguarding than Pikachu. It's just so much easier with him, because you just have to jump out there and throw out that giant hitbox that bair has and it will kill too. Catching people in Pikachu's fair/bair spikes doesn't even guarantee kills if they have good recoveries.
Yeah and the positional play is so hard. Do you think with good reads Pikachu can always get the stock on his opponent? He does have the options but I feel like edge guarding and getting the stock off is really hard. The thing is pikachu needs god like edge guarding because killing in neutral is a task in of itself.

Legato

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LLegato
Depends on the character, I feel this would not be the case on Villager, Sheik, or Pikachu himself. Definitely for diddy, lil mac, and pretty much everyone else besides the aforementioned.

MVboy39

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MVboy39
3DS FC
4940-5715-0569
Every one of Pikachu's aerials is useful for edgeguarding. Forwards and Backwards last longer than airdodges. Forwards has decent horizontal knockback, and backwards is great for either dragging opponents down or dragging opponents to a stage spike. Neutral comes out very quickly, and though its knockback isn't amazing, it should more than enough when right next to the KO zone. Up is good for comboing or dragging the opponent away from the ledge. As for Down, though most people complain about the landing lag, it has a hitbox, and landing with it certainly can catch an opponent off-guard.

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
What was that thunder?
Yeah, this one looks weird! It looks like Pikachu hits Bayo with a wall-jump Thunder2 (the bolt), which moves past Pikachu as he drifts to the right, but then Pika drifts back into the bolt and triggers the Thunder3 burst, as evidenced by the little flip he does. Whut!

I'd love to be able to do this on purpose--using an active Thunder bolt to link into the burst.

Last edited:
Top Bottom