• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgeguarding with Peach

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Hey all- any tips for edgeguarding with Peach? I am still trying to get down general edgeguarding techniques for Ultimate.

Does she have any grounded moves that are useful for 2-frame edgeguards?

DrROBschiz

Smash Apprentice
Not really and using Toad counters on hitbox recoveries still works but is more risky than before.

Turnips work ok but you may be noticing that most players are recovering deep under center stag since many recoveries basically slide diagonally towards to the ledge which makes them safe.

One thing I have discovered is that Peach Bomber is pretty effective in the air and can be used offstage while not dropping you too deep for recovery. It really seems like the time before you can act after a whiffed airborne peach bomber was reduced significantly making it a great aerial option.

EDIT: Found something new! Check out how Slayerz uses Dair at the ledge for pressure! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuPwwEsvEEo

Last edited:

claystate

Smash Rookie
i believe i've seen dtilt work for the 2frame, though it doesn't feel like it lingers long enough to cover a wide timing window ;;
you'd have to snipe the snap timing with it

i wonder if turnip zdrop can work to cover low snap recoveries. like a turnaround groundfloat zdrop or something LOL

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Not really and using Toad counters on hitbox recoveries still works but is more risky than before.

Turnips work ok but you may be noticing that most players are recovering deep under center stag since many recoveries basically slide diagonally towards to the ledge which makes them safe.

One thing I have discovered is that Peach Bomber is pretty effective in the air and can be used offstage while not dropping you too deep for recovery. It really seems like the time before you can act after a whiffed airborne peach bomber was reduced significantly making it a great aerial option.

EDIT: Found something new! Check out how Slayerz uses Dair at the ledge for pressure! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuPwwEsvEEo
Interesting, any tips on the mechanical method to which Slayerz does his float > fastball so quick?

Is it just hold down > X to float > release X and and tap down again or something faster?

DrROBschiz

Smash Apprentice
Interesting, any tips on the mechanical method to which Slayerz does his float > fastball so quick?

Is it just hold down > X to float > release X and and tap down again or something faster?
No im still learning this myself and have yet to do it in practice (though to be fair I havent been practicing much)

Its clearly essential to doing many of her advanced techs for her entire kit including those combos you see posted online.

But as far as using Dair to Edgeguard he isnt even doing anything crazy. Just positioning and hitting Down + Jump and timing the attacks to cover ledge options.

Im not sure how many characters this will work on given that her priority on Dair isnt the strongest but he seems to find the right height and spacing to for get options to Whiff allowing the multihit Dair to punish

washyrose670

Smash Apprentice

Peach players usually refer to that tech as JCFF. (Jump Cancel Fast Fall)
Basically, you are cancelling both your jump and float. But you are, at the same time, cancelling your jump using your float.

From EOE:
“This can be performed by pressing and holding down the jump button, then holding down on the control stick and instantly releasing the jump button when you want to fast fall.”
Here’s a link for this exact topic:

You’ll notice it’s Smash WiiU but the same method applies to Ultimate.
The timing takes some getting use to but once you get it down it’ll become a very natural way of moving the character around. This tech specifically is what makes Peach so fun for me to play. It probably goes without saying but Loud Yellow Peach with Brown Hair can do it too.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Peach players usually refer to that tech as JCFF. (Jump Cancel Fast Fall)
Basically, you are cancelling both your jump and float. But you are, at the same time, cancelling your jump using your float.

From EOE:
“This can be performed by pressing and holding down the jump button, then holding down on the control stick and instantly releasing the jump button when you want to fast fall.”
Here’s a link for this exact topic:

You’ll notice it’s Smash WiiU but the same method applies to Ultimate.
The timing takes some getting use to but once you get it down it’ll become a very natural way of moving the character around. This tech specifically is what makes Peach so fun for me to play. It probably goes without saying but Loud Yellow Peach with Brown Hair can do it too.
Thanks for this! I'll try it out. So you have to press down and release jump basically simultaneously?

I'm Brawl what I loved about Peach was glide tossing...I can totally see how this would make her more fun. (Didn't stick with Smash 4 long.)

washyrose670

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for this! I'll try it out. So you have to press down and release jump basically simultaneously?
Basically, yes. Technically you’re pressing down before letting go of jump. If you time it right then you cancel float and jump and go straight into fast fall. Don’t be discouraged if you don’t get it down right away but it’s not an unfriendly tech. It’s fairly easy and once you get it down it becomes second nature and you can’t move Peach/Daisy around without it. Have fun! :-)

washyrose670

Smash Apprentice
I'm Brawl what I loved about Peach was glide tossing...I can totally see how this would make her more fun. (Didn't stick with Smash 4 long.)
Forgot to mention: iirc, Peach in Brawl can do this too but I believe the timing is rather unforgiving. Anyway, it’s not as useful in Brawl as it is Smash WiiU or Ultimate so it isn’t as necessary. Feel free to try it out if you want. Maybe you’ll help refresh my memory and I won’t be so wrong in the future. :D

Top Bottom