• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgeguarding with Mewtwo

WoW Tarv

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 3431 0382 0347
Hey

I’ve recently picked up Mewtwo as a main. He’s a ton of fun to play and I was wondering if anyone had tips for edgeguarding with him, or just edgeguarding tips in general.

Thanks!

PeterTheRock

Smash Rookie
Personally, falling Nair is my favorite option against a good portion of the cast (excluding characters like Snake, K-Rool, Bayo). Back air is also a great option due to its range. The best option ive seen is rising Fair (high damage + knockback) but its slightly harder to pull off compared to the other 2 options.

Last edited:

WoW Tarv

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 3431 0382 0347
I love rising fair so much. I’ve not used Nair very much yet so I’m gonna start implementing it.

Thank you!

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
How are you guys actually practicing edgeguarding?

I know we can always just hop on Quickplay and try to cheese out some cheap KOs, but what about specifically trying to practice chasing down a Chrom offstage? You go into training, raise the CPU % to 100%, knock him off and try to gimp the CPU? Doesn't seem to work meta-wise. CPUs don't mix up their recoveries to adapt.

Whenever I play friends they just wanna fight, not grind out some edguarding tech.

WoW Tarv

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 3431 0382 0347
Unfortunately you’ve already mentioned the best way to practice edgeguarding; with a friend in training mode. Put them at mid to high percent and smash them off the stage. Keep them from recovery. As a bonus they get to practice recovery mix ups. You want to practice things deliberately. So ideally you and your training partner would practice edgeguarding and only that over and over again.

With the CPU you kind of want to theorize what that character’s options are and position yourself accordingly. What do you do if they’re above the stage with a jump? At stage level with no jump? What options does that character have in different situations? What options do you have when dealing with them? In short, how do you checkmate your opponent?

These are just a summary of things I’ve heard top players say in one capacity or another.

Last edited:

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
This is one reason I was really disappointed that Stage Building isn't back. I used to just create a stage called "King of the Hill", that consisted of just one tiny platform in the middle with two grab-able edges; only big enough for a roll-getup move. There was no neutral; someone was constantly off stage either being edgeguarded or ledgetrapped at all times.

My techniques for Sm4sh don't really apply to Ultimate with the new knockback and movement mechanics though.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Bair is the safest and most reliable offstage edgeguard, with a massive, lingering, disjointed hitbox. (It is basically a sword, as far as the game is concerned.)
Shadow ball can work a bit, but is more situational.

Bair your way to Elite Smash!

Whitephoenixace

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7304-2300-4542
Hey guys, how do you edgeguard Link?
From what i know link up b doesnt have a hitbox on the top of his head so u can try for a spike then. Either that or maybe fall off and try to throw a shadow ball

Lanny

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, how do you edgeguard Link?
His horizontal range on the up-b is limited, if you get within bair range before his up-b will get him to the stage there's not much he can do. bair out prioritizes all of link's aerials so he can either up-b defensively and die, take the hit and die, or try to fastfall. Most of the time I've seen links try to fastfall they just end up not making it back, but I imagine you could chase with a dair or nair if they can

Arcane_

Smash Cadet
Back air mainly, down air if you're confidant you can get the spike, nair can throw people off, or drop down and up air

Top Bottom