• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge Pill - Dr. Mario Metagame Strategy

dididan2000

Smash Rookie
So, a few days ago, I switched my Melee main from Fox to Dr. Mario. I'll keep Fox as an alternate, but Dr. Mario is my main now. I am trying to learn his meta, and as I was, I came across a thing that should be shown to you. If this is already invented, then... whatever, but if it is not, this is a strategy that should be added to his metagame. This could definitely rack up damage easily to your opponent. I recommend learning this strategy. Hopefully this will add a nice strategy to his metgame and encourage people to use Dr. Mario more. I have never seen anyone talk about this, so I will assume I created it ;). I call it the Edge Pill; the art of Edge Pilling! Lol! :p

HOW TO PERFORM:
*PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!*
*IF NON/SOME OF THE STEPS BELOW DO NOT MAKE SENSE TO YOU, TRY LOOKING AT THE GIF ABOVE FOR HELP.*
1. Get on either edge of a stage.
2. Push your control stick left or right depending on what edge of the stage you are on (If you are on the right edge, push it to the right. If you are on the left edge, push it to the left - Push it away from the edge).
3. As soon as you push your control stick, almost immediately jump up. This is important, because if you jump too late you may time the pill throw late and you also drift backwards, which you do not want to do. You want to go straight up and close to the edge like in the GIF to you ensure you do not miss the edge-grab in Step 5. You don't have to worry about jumping exactly straight up, because your opponent may get you if you are close to the stage in mid-air. I guess just drift back a little bit to increase your safety from your opponent.
4. As soon as you jump, push the control stick in the opposite direction, so you are actually facing the stage.
5. Throw the pill - simple... (Do not throw it too late though, because you might miss the stage/the desired spot you want to throw the pill at.)
*Do Step 2-5 in a really fast, swift motion. Literally do Control Stick one way>Jump>Control Stick the opposite way>Neutral-B*
6. Once you throw the pill, Up-B for your edge-grab, so you could repeat the Edge Pill process. Do not Up-B too late or else you might fall to your death and miss the edge-grab completely.

*It is literally a some-what trickery button combo due to the speed you have to do it at, but once you master it you are good to go. It's a literally a really fast button combo of Control Stick one way>Jump>Control Stick the opposite way>Neutral-B>Up-B. If you don't get it the first time, keep practicing. You will master it eventually. Even I'm still working on perfecting it! :)*

Last edited:

JipC

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the i-frames from the ledge would cover that fully
Furthermore this isnt much of a technique and you can grab the edge without even needing to upB if you have good timing. Also cant they just ledgehog you? It's not like the pill is such a huge threat they cant avoid it and grab the ledge while you're occupied with doing this

JipC

Smash Journeyman
So how do you do it without it?
Be fast
Really all there is to it, its just like you're "method" except really fast. If you cant get it goto training mode and see for yourself at the slowest speed

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Definitely already invented. SmashMac has a video on this from forever ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp_qhEx3zKE#t=5m27s

In that particular gif shown, Doc is fastfalling the pill, so he is dropping below the ledge before the pill animation is over, to where you'd have to Up-B to regrab ledge. It's a good mix up from other edgepills and other alternative ledge options. But you'd still be vulnerable once you are below the ledge and you would risk being hit out of your Up-B recovery.

But this does give me an idea. It'd be a great mix up from the ledge games I've been working on.

Last edited:

dididan2000

Smash Rookie
Definitely already invented. SmashMac has a video on this from forever ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp_qhEx3zKE#t=5m27s

In that particular gif shown, Doc is fastfalling the pill, so he is dropping below the ledge before the pill animation is over, to where you'd have to Up-B to regrab ledge. It's a good mix up from other edgepills and other alternative ledge options. But you'd still be vulnerable once you are below the ledge and you would risk being hit out of your Up-B recovery.

But this does give me an idea. It'd be a great mix up from the ledge games I've been working on.
How does he even do that?

SmashMac

Smash Lord
How does he even do that?
While DJing from the edge, I've found that as long as you are more than halfway done with the pill throw animation by the time you reach the highest point of the DJ, you will be able to reset into neutral aerial position to grab the edge again. I have actually never timed this exactly with frame-data, but that is generally my visual queue for that and once you get used to it with muscle memory it will become second nature.

Top Bottom