• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge Canceled Down-B

REInstalleD

Smash Rookie
I was practicing some tech tonight and accidentally edge canceled down-b. I don't know how I did it and after spending forever trying to replicate it without success, I've finally given up. Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention to specifics like whether I was holding a particular direction or which way I was facing. All I know is that I was coming from below the stage and landed half on stage with the momentum from my double jump into down-b (I think this was on the left side of Dreamland, although that's likely irrelevant).

Maybe this is a well-known thing that I'm completely unaware of, but I've never done it or seen it done before. It did happen in a video (time stamp included) Chaos_Blasta posted recently, although in this case it appears to be a product of Bowser getting pushed by Ganondorf's shield.

Anyway, if anyone knows anything or has success replicating it, please let me know. If it exists I think it could see actual implementation in Bowser's gameplay, although at this point I'd just like to know for my own sanity--to know I wasn't just seeing things. Thanks!

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
You can recreate it very easily in training mode if you place ROB's gyro near the ledge and you Down B-- the trades that happen there always end up cancelling your Down B.

I believe it happens because of the PM glitch that pushes the attacker back if they hit something, which in the video was a shield. Perhaps it happened in Dreamland because the wind was blowing towards the ledge?

I'm not sure if you could use it consistently in actual matches, but it's very cool when it does happen atleast

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
You can recreate it very easily in training mode if you place ROB's gyro near the ledge and you Down B-- the trades that happen there always end up cancelling your Down B.

I believe it happens because of the PM glitch that pushes the attacker back if they hit something, which in the video was a shield. Perhaps it happened in Dreamland because the wind was blowing towards the ledge?

I'm not sure if you could use it consistently in actual matches, but it's very cool when it does happen atleast

This is a bug/glitch and happens without hitting stuff with down b also.
Actually it happens without using down b also.
I wish i could do this on command as this would be an awesome and unique tech for bowser and may actually help his recovery (hint hint)

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Edge cancelling Down B would probably help covering all the times I try to BB to the ledge but hit the stage instead lmao

REInstalleD

Smash Rookie
Perhaps it happened in Dreamland because the wind was blowing towards the ledge?
Thanks Chaos, I bet you're right, it must have been the wind on Dreamland. Looks like it only happens when bowser is pushed toward the ledge as you said. Disappointing it can't be done on command, but at least I'll be ready to react properly when it does happen.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Chaos, I bet you're right, it must have been the wind on Dreamland. Looks like it only happens when bowser is pushed toward the ledge as you said. Disappointing it can't be done on command, but at least I'll be ready to react properly when it does happen.
This can be done on all stages, can some one tag narpas sword so he can explain this bug/Glitch/phenomenon.

REInstalleD

Smash Rookie
This is a bug/glitch and happens without hitting stuff with down b also.
Actually it happens without using down b also.
What is the "it" in "it happens without using down b"? Aren't we talking about edge canceling down-b?

If it is a glitch it must be a super specific one because I tried pretty hard to replicate it without hitting anything and came up empty handed (except for the sweaty controller, that is).

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
What is the "it" in "it happens without using down b"? Aren't we talking about edge canceling down-b?

If it is a glitch it must be a super specific one because I tried pretty hard to replicate it without hitting anything and came up empty handed (except for the sweaty controller, that is).
We are refering to when bowser grabs the ledge for 1 frame and drops off the ledge instantly due to momentum?
If so, yes you dont have to use down b to activate this "glitch"

REInstalleD

Smash Rookie
Ohhh, I see. Yeah, I know about that glitch; it can be pretty annoying at times. What Chaos and I are referring to is different. The down-b animation is canceled without ever grabbing the ledge, just like you can ledge cancel normal aerials with every character. So Bowser does a down-b halfway on stage and is pushed off by a shield or an object (or apparently by wind even though he's a fatty) and ends in an aerial state he can act out of immediately. You can see an example of it in the video I linked to in my first post.

Last edited:

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Ohhh, I see. Yeah, I know about that glitch; it can be pretty annoying at times. What Chaos and I are referring to is different. The down-b animation is canceled without ever grabbing the ledge, just like you can ledge cancel normal aerials with every character. So Bowser does a down-b halfway on stage and is pushed off by a shield or an object (or apparently by wind even though he's a fatty) and ends in an aerial state he can act out of immediately. You can see an example of it in the video I linked to in my first post.
OH shoot i just posted something about this, i did this by accident but it was on a platform and i DID NOT hit anyone. So i think This is worth a night of experimenting.

Top Bottom