• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge Cancel Teleport Stuff.

DARKcpu0

Smash Apprentice
Figured I'd slap this here. Will be edited once I get a better recording setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDX5w7nQKlM

Covers alot that you probably, and most likely, will not be able to hear very well, even at maximum volume.

Blame Darko. He didn't bump up that volume.

Enjoy TM30.
-Model-Zero

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J6wm1AHNq8
Small techskill vid showing some pretty barebones stuff. Basic setups and some applications. Threw it together last night. Expect footage to be reused.

Expect tournament footage soon.

Last edited:

Darkoness21

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0576-4758-7122
Well you were sounding fine on my end when it was streamed LOL!

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
I thought the sound was fine, the mewtwo tech beautiful. I remember thinking when post-tele hover was removed that edge cancel teleport would be the future. Looks like the future has arrived.

After a little time in the lab practicing your technique, allow me to extend my respect to you model-Zero because it's not easy and you were making it look so.
I want to hear your opinion on some of the finer details I encountered.

1. Doing the 'ECT' diagonally from above or below the platform is tough. You need to be within a BF platform's edges and pretty high above. Is there more than 8 directions for M2's tele? Can you go between horizontal and diagonal-down for a longer, shallower tele?

2. Most of my success came from dashing off the platform and doing tele straight back through the platform to the opposite edge, which is indeed magical on Smashville's platform, but not really doable on BF plats. When done fast enough (topN can't pass below the platform for the debuggers out there) M2 autocancels the landing so you're still quite safe if you land short of the edge.
This is also great off the edge of any flat stage bc of the autocancel. You can exit teleport into turn around fsmash or any special or tilt or grab etc...
Is there a difference in timing for edge cancel and autocancel? I would assume EC has no lag and you're immediately airborne. AC is 4 frames normal landing lag?

3. It seems like the double tele is the prettiest and scariest tech you were doing. ECT > ACT (autocanceled tele)> grab/attack. Or ECT > ECT > hover aerial and beyond.
The double tele is tricky though and works best in specific paths on each stage. Would it be worth it to detail some of them?

You were getting a nice one from center BF > ECT outside edge of side platform > ACT center BF. Do you just immediately do the 2nd tele at the proper angle to get the autocancel? I keep getting the landing lag for teleporting too steep.

I also like what you did with ACT to top platform > ECT outside platform edge. But what are the options from that edge besides ACT to center stage again? Aerial or hover aerial.

4. What exactly are all the different ways to setup the proper distance/angle for the ECT? Looks like you're mainly jumping to that sweet spot above and away diagonally. Do you use a single jump or double for precision positioning? How viable is the hover > ECT and where is it strongest?

Other Notes:
You can edge cancel turnaround with good timing for a quick fair under the platform.

Turning off tap jump helps me not waste my second jump while teleporting, so if I miss the edge I can still attack. Practicing clean UpBs helps too.

There is a landing sound whenever you properly autocancel or edge cancel. The sound won't trigger if you land too early in teleport. Turn off music to hear it easily, it becomes very satisfying pretty quick to hear that sound.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
There are 352 possible angles for teleport, same as any other directional input in Smash.

Mostly useful for ledge play imo. I use it sometimes to get to the ledge quickly while still having all options available. It has some applications elsewhere but it's niche, more of a situational awareness thing that branches out from similar situations as TeleAC platform movement.

Is there a tl;dr segment of the video I can point people to if they ask? 43 minutes is rather long.

Last edited:

DARKcpu0

Smash Apprentice
I thought the sound was fine, the mewtwo tech beautiful. I remember thinking when post-tele hover was removed that edge cancel teleport would be the future. Looks like the future has arrived.

After a little time in the lab practicing your technique, allow me to extend my respect to you model-Zero because it's not easy and you were making it look so.
I want to hear your opinion on some of the finer details I encountered.

1. Doing the 'ECT' diagonally from above or below the platform is tough. You need to be within a BF platform's edges and pretty high above. Is there more than 8 directions for M2's tele? Can you go between horizontal and diagonal-down for a longer, shallower tele?

2. Most of my success came from dashing off the platform and doing tele straight back through the platform to the opposite edge, which is indeed magical on Smashville's platform, but not really doable on BF plats. When done fast enough (topN can't pass below the platform for the debuggers out there) M2 autocancels the landing so you're still quite safe if you land short of the edge.
This is also great off the edge of any flat stage bc of the autocancel. You can exit teleport into turn around fsmash or any special or tilt or grab etc...
Is there a difference in timing for edge cancel and autocancel? I would assume EC has no lag and you're immediately airborne. AC is 4 frames normal landing lag?

3. It seems like the double tele is the prettiest and scariest tech you were doing. ECT > ACT (autocanceled tele)> grab/attack. Or ECT > ECT > hover aerial and beyond.
The double tele is tricky though and works best in specific paths on each stage. Would it be worth it to detail some of them?

You were getting a nice one from center BF > ECT outside edge of side platform > ACT center BF. Do you just immediately do the 2nd tele at the proper angle to get the autocancel? I keep getting the landing lag for teleporting too steep.

I also like what you did with ACT to top platform > ECT outside platform edge. But what are the options from that edge besides ACT to center stage again? Aerial or hover aerial.

4. What exactly are all the different ways to setup the proper distance/angle for the ECT? Looks like you're mainly jumping to that sweet spot above and away diagonally. Do you use a single jump or double for precision positioning? How viable is the hover > ECT and where is it strongest?

Other Notes:
You can edge cancel turnaround with good timing for a quick fair under the platform.

Turning off tap jump helps me not waste my second jump while teleporting, so if I miss the edge I can still attack. Practicing clean UpBs helps too.

There is a landing sound whenever you properly autocancel or edge cancel. The sound won't trigger if you land too early in teleport. Turn off music to hear it easily, it becomes very satisfying pretty quick to hear that sound.
Yeah diagonal EC Teles are hard haha. Angles are rough but you get full angles. Not just 8. Alot of little things you can do with the slightest change. EC has 1 frame of lag at most, due to the one frame being on the platform, AC has 5 I believe.

I actually did go on about EC Tele turnaround, and one thing I didn't get to touch on much due to the netplay lag was EC Tele ShadowBall B-Reverse Charge Cancel which gives Mewtwo that clean Yoshi/Peach-esque platform movement and more.

I covered the most notable options I had discovered at the time, but that being said, Anything that can be done airborne can be done out of EC teleport, right down to an airdodge which means EC Tele wavelands which I also talked about. The less lag and those options make it alittle better than AC imo. I kind of just, know the set ups. I don't always do the same angles so I space myself with either sh or full hop, sometimes double jump to cover angles to make it easier. Hover is viable, but not as much unless you're setting up horizontal EC Teles mostly due to the amount of time it takes to properly do so with hover rather than the momentum from jump or double jump, but that being said Hover is just as viable. Pretty much preferance there. Worth noting that on other stages horizontal EC Teles require the very slight movement upwards from DJ to do Horizontal EC Teles with ease. It's not worth it on BF though unless you're just going to fullhop for it and do some sort of extended tech chase or edge guard. I don't turn off tap jump out of habit. I've gotten fast enough to not lose the attack for the most part.

Options from Middle top to edge of platform opens a horizontal(ish) EC Tele to the other side of the platform which opens up cross ups and grab set ups, and another teleport to the ledge of the stage which opens the same options plus edge guard openings.

I think that alone explains some of the uses for double tele, but double tele is ****ing incredible for ledge-edge play in relation to grab set ups, combo extention, and my god.

The way you can control space when the opponent is recovering. My god. Basically, you woop to the ledge via EC Tele and waveland back (not so far back you lose EC Teles), they recover high, you woop over to the left side of the edge of the platform from ledge, woop again, and open up edgeguards once more, or if they start to move to ledge after recovering high when you're at the left side of the platform, woop back to ledge, turnaround, and grab for a stock.

In theory that is. All of this is still theory crafting and whatnot.

DARKcpu0

Smash Apprentice
Is there a tl;dr segment of the video I can point people to if they ask? 43 minutes is rather long.
Not quite, but I am going to be redoing the tutorial eventually since I not only have more to add, but I can cut the time down to probably 30 while having smaller summaries of each section towards the end of. Expect it within a week or so.

Top Bottom