• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Black Eagles House Leader

Troykv

Smash Master
I have no problems with an avatar in the next FE mainline game.

But putting an avatar in an Echoes style remake would be... urgh. I can just imagine the salt and anger if they remade FE4 and you're Sigurd's extra special BFF who gets given Seliph to babysit after 'the incident'.
The only game where they would put a Avatar without breaking too much the canon is in Blazing Blade xD

Icelerate

Smash Apprentice
I have no problems with an avatar in the next FE mainline game.

But putting an avatar in an Echoes style remake would be... urgh. I can just imagine the salt and anger if they remade FE4 and you're Sigurd's extra special BFF who gets given Seliph to babysit after 'the incident'.
So make Oiffey the avatar?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So any bets on whether or not Edelgard stayed in the top eight for A Hero Rises 2? :p

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Thought you guys might be interested to know that a 'golden route' has been deconfimed by the TH devs https://nintendoeverything.com/fire...hadows-length-tea-time-with-rhea-coming-more/

I'm glad. I feel like a golden route would definitely come at the expense of Rhea and Edelgard's characters.
A little disappointed, but not surprised. They probably thought they couldn't get away with it a second time given Fates's reception. Though given this whole game does the "your choice determines the story" thing right, I do think they could've made it work if they tried.

Honestly, I'm more surprised that you're now able to have Teatime with Rhea. I know there was data in the game to suggest it, but they seemed to make it clear she's... above you? I don't know if I'm wording that right...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, now that I've beaten the Cindered Shadows side story, I have to get this off my chest...

The Umbral Beast can go die in a fire. The stupid "healing phantoms" gimmick was hard enough to keep up with. But then he starts TELEPORTING my units!?! And then he starts interrupting their attacks!?!?! I get they wanted this to be harder, but they didn't have to take all those Dark Souls memes so literally!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You know, after reading through all the Cindered Shadows stuff, I gotta say...I really wish Edelgard got a support with Hapi. Like, I understand why she didn't. Each lord got one more, and Edelgard already had Constance (which she absolutely needed to, considering House Nuevelle's standing in the Empire...or rather lack thereof). But man...an Edelgard/Hapi conversation would've been so great.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
You know, after reading through all the Cindered Shadows stuff, I gotta say...I really wish Edelgard got a support with Hapi. Like, I understand why she didn't. Each lord got one more, and Edelgard already had Constance (which she absolutely needed to, considering House Nuevelle's standing in the Empire...or rather lack thereof). But man...an Edelgard/Hapi conversation would've been so great.
What's weird is that Hapi, the one who hates the church with the fiery passion of a thousand suns, has a support conversation with Dimitri, the only House Leader who DOESN'T call the church out on its many, MANY flaws.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What's weird is that Hapi, the one who hates the church with the fiery passion of a thousand suns, has a support conversation with Dimitri, the only House Leader who DOESN'T call the church out on its many, MANY flaws.
In fairness, given what their support DOES cover, I'd say their dynamic makes sense.

Troykv

Smash Master
They really need to give each lord support with one of the non-Yuri characters.

Thought, it's quite an interesting contrast how Constance and Balthus supports are pretty much Empire and Alliance centric respectively (Mercedes is a quite special case here).

In the other hand, Hapi has supports with Dimitri (the obligatory Lord support), Ashe (one of the members of the Kingdom that has reasons to go against the church), and Linhardt (the most True Neutral character in the game).

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I just got to the last chapter of blue lions and I have one question.

Why in the **** do people think Edelgard is so bad? Like actually? She was reasonable and sympathetic in the other routes so I just assumed she went off the deep end in blue lions. But no, she's still 100% sympathetic! The transformation does not change that. Like literally what the ****? People call her a psychopath and a heinous villain. What gives?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Why in the **** do people think Edelgard is so bad? Like actually? She was reasonable and sympathetic in the other routes so I just assumed she went off the deep end in blue lions. But no, she's still 100% sympathetic! The transformation does not change that. Like literally what the ****? People call her a psychopath and a heinous villain. What gives?
She made Dimitri unhappy, the biggest sin of all, after all, the crest system benefits Dimitri and she had the gal to make Dimitri less cool in the future, as long as Dimitri is happy, all is right with the world! He can do no wrong!

Troykv

Smash Master

Well...

I guess this people is very obsessed with the idea of finding scapegoats for Dimitri's suffering, despite that don't making sense, his suffering was pretty much only because of the Agarthans, and you don't need to be a genius to know that.

Also probably people can dislike how Edelgard rejects being humillated (after all, she knows she can't ask for pity, she would prefer death over being actively a hypocrite)... so she prefers to die and let Dimitri being the Hero of his Delusions

And people take her pretty unoffensive attack as an offensive against Dimitri.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Well...

I guess this people is very obsessed with the idea of finding scapegoats for Dimitri's suffering, despite that don't making sense, his suffering was pretty much only because of the Agarthans, and you don't need to be a genius to know that.

Also probably people can dislike how Edelgard rejects being humillated (after all, she knows she can't ask for pity, she would prefer death over being actively a hypocrite)... so she prefers to die and let Dimitri being the Hero of his Delusions

That's ****ing stupid. She doesn't count as a villain by any sense of the word. People call her a psychopath and claim she's too evil for smash. I'm guessing the only people who hate Edelgard are people who played blue lions first and became way too attached to Dimitri.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
That's ****ing stupid. She doesn't count as a villain by any sense of the word. People call her a psychopath and claim she's too evil for smash. I'm guessing the only people who hate Edelgard are people who played blue lions first and became way too attached to Dimitri.
Regrettably, there are some of us who are also guilty of it. For example, I played Crimson Flower first, and I would gladly support Edelgard in her quest. As a result, however, my impression of Dimitri is a bit... less pleasent. Granted, that's the whole point (neither of them are perfect), but conflict among fans is inevitable.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Edelgard, Dimitri, and Rhea are not completely evil or 100% irredeemably bad characters, nor are any of them completely innocent characters. All 3 are heavily flawed and screwed in the head due to past tragedies.

I dunno, this seems pretty obvious to me?

Also I beat Cindered Shadows on hard mode. It had its iffiness in gameplay or story but overall I enjoyed it. I actually found the final boss of it to be easy (and I did play hard mode). I will say that throughout playing it that I swear I got RNG screwed more than usual when it comes to low enemy crit %'s triggering. Definitely made things more frustrating lol.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Just a reminder that the current Voting Gauntlet, the one for a new free unit and has Edelgard participating, is going on right now in FEH. If you want a free Edel, now's your chance to vote. Though keep in mind, she has some stiff competition.

Icelerate

Smash Apprentice
Well...

How is he delusional at the end of Blue Lions? No where does the narrative imply he's delusional at the end of the game and makes a great king.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Also, Edelgard and Dimitri's Bound Hero Battle starts today in Heroes, so if anyone wants a copy of either of those two (or Claude) there's a banner out now.

Got another merge for her today, so that was good.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Does anybody here know anything about that Three Houses Drama CD that came out recently in Japan? I've been curious if it affected anything of significance to the game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Does anybody here know anything about that Three Houses Drama CD that came out recently in Japan? I've been curious if it affected anything of significance to the game.
From what I read, it was mostly slice-of-life styled story about the House Leaders working to help Byleth find their keys.

The most interesting worldbuilding implication is the fact that canning food is a thing in Fódlan, which is incredibly modern by all means. It wasn't until 1810 that food started being stored in tin cans. So that's... inconsequential but still neat.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
From what I read, it was mostly slice-of-life styled story about the House Leaders working to help Byleth find their keys.

The most interesting worldbuilding implication is the fact that canning food is a thing in Fódlan, which is incredibly modern by all means. It wasn't until 1810 that food started being stored in tin cans. So that's... inconsequential but still neat.
Rhea when ruling Fodlan: "Here's preserved tin food to make it last longer"

Also Rhea: "Telescopes frighten me"

D

Deleted member

Rhea when ruling Fodlan: "Here's preserved tin food to make it last longer"

Also Rhea: "Telescopes frighten me"
Rhea: "Printing presses are useless because the commonfold don't know how to read and are the work of witches"
Guy who's about to make her invent execution by hanging: "You have literal witches working for you"
Rhea:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So an article of Nintendo Dream magazine had an interview about Three Houses, and it reveals some interesting details, like what the first route written was.

https://serenesforest.net/2020/03/2...erview-reveals-first-route-claudes-real-name/
Between these, and Heroes revealing a few things (like Ferdinand's dad's name being Ludwig), it's kind of interesting how many things have been revealed now that the game is seemingly done.

Well, assuming those DLC dummy slots are just dummy slots.

Edelgard von Hresvelg

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, Edel's birthday is coming up in a couple days!

I've been playing a lot of Byleth in Smash (or rather 'Edeleth') and while they are fun, I still wish it had been Edelgard somehow. She probably doesn't have much of a chance to join Smash now, especially since Byleth stole her Amyr, but who knows......miracles have happened before. Chrom is in after initially getting denied. Banjo & Kazooie are finally here even after Microsoft bought Rare. Maybe it could still happen.

If she did join Smash, I envision her as a sort of semi-clone of Byleth, in the sense that they share some moves. Kinda like what Isabelle is to Villager or something. Of course, she would have two alts--one for pre-time skip wielding a killer axe, and one for post-time skip wielding Amyr. The killer axe might have to be sized up slightly to better match the proportions of Amyr. She has different idle stances depending on which alt is is, but is only holding the axe by default.
Neutral Special - Fire/Bolganone
Showcasing Edelgard's aptitude for magic, she fires a medium range projectile that flies straight ahead. Like Byleth's Failnaught, if you hold the button longer she begins casting Bolganone instead, which explodes a medium distance in front of her. Alternatively, the second spell could be Luna or Hades.
Side Special - Lightning Axe
The animation of this move is similar to Byleth's Areadbhar, or one of the axe crit animations in TH. She holds her axe with both hands and rushes forward, cutting upwards with an electric effect and high priority. In some ways it's pretty similar to Dark Pit's Electroshock Arm.
Up Special - Helm Splitter
While this move takes its name from a combat art, the animation is actually like one of the axe crit animations in TH, where the user jumps and then spins before slamming down with the axe. In that sense, it is very similar to Chrom's Soaring Slash, and Edelgard has super armor at the beginning of the move.
Down Special - Armored Strike
Edelgard normally can't learn this combat art, but who cares. She pulls out a large shield and makes a heavy overhead swing with the axe. In essence it functions like Byleth's Amyr special, granting her super armor before bringing the axe down.
Final Smash - Raging Storm
Considering how legendary this move is, it kind of has to be her final smash. However, an alternate idea is a gambit attack, where armored knights trample your enemy. Hubert might show up too, shouting "Marvel at our strategy!" or something.

One of her victory animations HAS to be her spinning her axe while saying "Now you know your limits!" The rest of her standard attacks utilize her axe in various ways. Of course her down smash and down aerial are the same as Byleth's. Also, when playing on the Garreg Mach stage, Edelgard is obviously absent from the background (and replaced by Hubert).

In summary, Edelgard would be the only primary axe user in Smash and functions as a punishing character who can take some hits with her super armor moves. She is one of the slower Fire Emblem characters, but fortunately has a projectile to balance out her moveset. As arguably the most central character in Three Houses (which is currently the best selling FE game I believe) who is very popular and who can represent both a protagonist and antagonist in the series, she has what it takes to remove all obstacles and soar away into Smash.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hey guys, Edel's birthday is coming up in a couple days!

I've been playing a lot of Byleth in Smash (or rather 'Edeleth') and while they are fun, I still wish it had been Edelgard somehow. She probably doesn't have much of a chance to join Smash now, especially since Byleth stole her Amyr, but who knows......miracles have happened before. Chrom is in after initially getting denied. Banjo & Kazooie are finally here even after Microsoft bought Rare. Maybe it could still happen.

If she did join Smash, I envision her as a sort of semi-clone of Byleth, in the sense that they share some moves. Kinda like what Isabelle is to Villager or something. Of course, she would have two alts--one for pre-time skip wielding a killer axe, and one for post-time skip wielding Amyr. The killer axe might have to be sized up slightly to better match the proportions of Amyr. She has different idle stances depending on which alt is is, but is only holding the axe by default.
Neutral Special - Fire/Bolganone
Showcasing Edelgard's aptitude for magic, she fires a medium range projectile that flies straight ahead. Like Byleth's Failnaught, if you hold the button longer she begins casting Bolganone instead, which explodes a medium distance in front of her. Alternatively, the second spell could be Luna or Hades.
Side Special - Lightning Axe
The animation of this move is similar to Byleth's Areadbhar, or one of the axe crit animations in TH. She holds her axe with both hands and rushes forward, cutting upwards with an electric effect and high priority. In some ways it's pretty similar to Dark Pit's Electroshock Arm.
Up Special - Helm Splitter
While this move takes its name from a combat art, the animation is actually like one of the axe crit animations in TH, where the user jumps and then spins before slamming down with the axe. In that sense, it is very similar to Chrom's Soaring Slash, and Edelgard has super armor at the beginning of the move.
Down Special - Armored Strike
Edelgard normally can't learn this combat art, but who cares. She pulls out a large shield and makes a heavy overhead swing with the axe. In essence it functions like Byleth's Amyr special, granting her super armor before bringing the axe down.
Final Smash - Raging Storm
Considering how legendary this move is, it kind of has to be her final smash. However, an alternate idea is a gambit attack, where armored knights trample your enemy. Hubert might show up too, shouting "Marvel at our strategy!" or something.

One of her victory animations HAS to be her spinning her axe while saying "Now you know your limits!" The rest of her standard attacks utilize her axe in various ways. Of course her down smash and down aerial are the same as Byleth's. Also, when playing on the Garreg Mach stage, Edelgard is obviously absent from the background (and replaced by Hubert).

In summary, Edelgard would be the only primary axe user in Smash and functions as a punishing character who can take some hits with her super armor moves. She is one of the slower Fire Emblem characters, but fortunately has a projectile to balance out her moveset. As arguably the most central character in Three Houses (which is currently the best selling FE game I believe) who is very popular and who can represent both a protagonist and antagonist in the series, she has what it takes to remove all obstacles and soar away into Smash.
I didn't even realize her birthday was on the same day as the ARMS presentation. Clearly Edelgard is our ARMS rep. :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Anywho, in addition to all the other things going on today, like Min Min getting into Smash and Crash 4 getting its first trailer, it's also Edelgard's birthday.

Edelgard's my third favorite Fire Emblem character over all, after Chrom and Merric, so she means quite a bit to me. It's a shame she didn't make the cut for the Smash roster, but you can't win 'em all.

So happy birthday, Edelgard, one of the three fictional characters whose birthday I actually committed to memory with Chrom and Mewtwo. :p

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Now that Min Min's trashed the "Spirits deconfirm" rule, part of me kind off wants Edelgard to get the Chrom treatment especially when it seems she's actually more popular than I thought. I don't give a damn if she'll be another FE character, I just want this, a guy can dream can he? XD

Edelgard von Hresvelg

Smash Rookie
Now that Min Min's trashed the "Spirits deconfirm" rule, part of me kind off wants Edelgard to get the Chrom treatment especially when it seems she's actually more popular than I thought. I don't give a damn if she'll be another FE character, I just want this, a guy can dream can he? XD
I will always want Edelgard in Smash. I also kinda hope Lyn gets a chance too.

I don't even care if characters are clones or echoes. FE characters actually kinda work really well as echoes anyway.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I will always want Edelgard in Smash. I also kinda hope Lyn gets a chance too.

I don't even care if characters are clones or echoes. FE characters actually kinda work really well as echoes anyway.
Funny enough with the movset someone described above, Edelgard could be a Byleth echo. Just replace the SotC/Areadbhar/Failnaught with more Aymr (or a generic sword seeing as Edie is proficient in then), magic, etc. Plus a different Final Smash.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Funny enough with the movset someone described above, Edelgard could be a Byleth echo. Just replace the SotC/Areadbhar/Failnaught with more Aymr (or a generic sword seeing as Edie is proficient in then), magic, etc. Plus a different Final Smash.
If you have to replace all but three attacks, she doesn't work as an echo fighter.

Edelgard von Hresvelg

Smash Rookie
My vision of Edelgard could almost be an amalgam of several characters: Byleth's Amyr moves and Areadbhar animation, Chrom's Soaring Slash, Hero's Frizz (replacing Failnaught), and maybe some of Ike's standard attack animations.

Edelgard von Hresvelg

Smash Rookie
By the way, I was looking at these poll results just now that Source Gaming did. This poll was conducted in March, AFTER Byleth was released.

Edelgard still came in with 27 votes at 126th place.
Dimitri received 7 votes at 275th place.
Claude received 3 votes at 438th place.

The only other Fire Emblem character above Edelgard is Lyn with 37 votes at 94th place. After Edelgard in popularity is Anna with 10 votes at 220nd place. Edelgard is still very popular even after Byleth, and clearly way more popular than the other TH lords. As a FE fan I would love for Lyn, Edelgard and Anna to make it into Smash one day. They all seem deserving.

Top Bottom