• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Black Eagles House Leader

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Bitter?? The majority of us were happy TH got a stage and cameo as well as an Edelgard alt, the only frustration was that avatar characters get priority considering both Fates and TH had multiple important main characters.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Yeah really who the hell was bitter besides those hated the idea of an 8th FE rep? Edie fans like myself love the Edie color alt. I'm using that one the most with the Dimitri alt.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Maybe it's rude, but it's also realistic. I stated the same very thing before Byleth's reveal, and I asked what the reception to Byleth would be if they got in, and not Edelgard. The answers where mostly positive, but all I read here is negativity. To me, that really doesn't make sense. It's like Corrin and Azura all over. Can't believe a fanbase of the very same game is bitter over the confirmation of it's main protagonist.

N Air probably is meme tier yes. Probably still a lot more useful than Down B however. Can't tell much about D Smash, it also looks slow. D Air probably is good on shield and reads though. Looks like Byleth will mainly use the Sword of the Creator and Areadbhar as their main weapons in competitive play. However, I doubt Byleth will be competitively viable.
Dude, go back to when the news hit, which is page 39. Most people here are pretty happy with the endresult. Not to mention you're also ignoring the fact the Edelgard thread would have prefered Edelgard regardless of how happy we are with Byleth. Where's all the negativity on this thread you claim to see with zero positivity?

D

Deleted member

We are Edelstans, why would we hate Byleth when we find them just as hot as Edelgard does?

ZelDan

Smash Master
Also I'm pretty sure many Edlegard fans (and Dimitri and Claude fans for that matter) always recognized the definite possibility of Byleth getting in. That didn't stop us from wanting Edelgard though.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
There isn't bitterness, we all were aware that byleth was an option, and is not a bad or terrible character (looking staringly at corrin) is just that ... All of the 3 lords are better character and more popular case In point, choose your leyend.

That being said, the only outrageous thing is that my boy linhardt is at 18th place...

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So a Youtuber I watch named Professor Thorgi just put out his list of the Best Video Game Characters of 2019, and he put Edelgard on there... kinda.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's nice to see the Edelgard!Byleth is the most popular color, from the looks of it. :p

zumaddy

Smash Ace
CYL results got leaked on the website and
Edelgard and Lysithea held onto #1 and #2! Woohoo!

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
https://www.reddit.com/r/FireEmblem...yl4_winners_have_leaked_from_website_js_code/
Oh my gosh, lol. The vote count for Edelgard. We should show that to Sakurai.

Also, side note -- I don't think folks saying Edelgard can't be an echo of Byleth are thinking accurately about what echoes are. She can use bows, lances and swords in the game, so it's not like if they replaced them with regular versions of those weapons it wouldn't work. Maybe Sword of the Creator is a little weird.. but it's a non-canon crossover game so she could use them anyway. Dark Samus doesn't use missiles in the Metroid Prime games.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Quick question. Is there a specific time they usually announce the results? Just to make it official.

Also,
what do you guys think Brave Edelgard will be based on?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Maybe she'll have her alternate NG+ hairstyle? Ooooooh, or her original hair color.

Banking on her getting a tome to reference her hidden talent.

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
why did they not put Hubert on the black eagles part of the stage I want MY REFUND SAKURAI

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
why did they not put Hubert on the black eagles part of the stage I want MY REFUND SAKURAI
He was...busy, that day.
Totally not out assassinating his dad.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Seriously. I married him in one of my playthroughs and he gets nothing.

"It's Dimitri, and his right hand man, strong but kindhearted Dedue! Then we have Claude, and his funloving but lazy pal Hilda! And then we Edelgard and two girls because Hubert is too damn ugly BYE"

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I have mixed reactions towards Hubert. at first i though i wouldn't like much the character he was gonna be a lame shadowy buttler sterotype, (which he totally is, mind you) but between they doing the stereotype right and adding his logical insights, he became a good counter figure to Edelgard.

But he honestly sometimes creeped me a little, specially with his tendency at whitholding information to Edel and ignoring some of her orders :S

Then, again, i really apreciate that the character is complex enough to give me mixed feelings, rather than another butler cartoon.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Seriously. I married him in one of my playthroughs and he gets nothing.

"It's Dimitri, and his right hand man, strong but kindhearted Dedue! Then we have Claude, and his funloving but lazy pal Hilda! And then we Edelgard and two girls because Hubert is too damn ugly BYE"
Probably has to do with the fact that Petra and Dorothea are some of the most popular characters in the game. Online ranking seems to suggest such at least. Pretty easy to see why as well. Personally, I'd pick Felix over Ingrid for the Blue Lions, but who am I?

Hubert grown on me as well as I played Crimson Flower. At first, I sort of thought of him as 100% evil, but he does have a heart. He's still a major creep, and his supports with Byleth especially show his darker side, but he's a fun character. Also good on the battlefield.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
But he honestly sometimes creeped me a little, specially with his tendency at whitholding information to Edel and ignoring some of her orders :S
That was actually one of my favorite characteristics of Hubert, which also sets him apart from Dedue (who, while I like, has some pretty concerning traits)
Other than perhaps withholding his plan to use crest stones at Tailtean from Dimitri, Dedue has pretty much fully resigned himself and his morals to every whim of Dimitri’s will.
Conversely, while Hubert is fully devoted to Edelgard and her cause, he is able to act independently when he believes Edelgard is making a mistake or is unwilling to do what is necessary for her to achieve her goals.
Even in defeat, Dedue is stuck fully on fulfilling Dimitri’s unhinged objectives after the prince’s death, while Hubert is able to make preparations for Fódlan’s future with his letter to the VW/SS army.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Taking a hiatus from FEH after that god-awful announcement regarding their new subscription pass. I'll probably come back for the Brave Heroes but until then... ugh. It sucks that Edelgard and Lysithea got announced as winners alongside this mistake.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Taking a hiatus from FEH after that god-awful announcement regarding their new subscription pass. I'll probably come back for the Brave Heroes but until then... ugh. It sucks that Edelgard and Lysithea got announced as winners alongside this mistake.
I mean... at least Fehnix was kinda cool. Too bad he's gonna take the brunt for what Feh did since she fled the country in advance.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Just finished Crimson Flower, and not long ago finished the church route as well. Which leaves just Golden Deer left to do.
I'm still not convinced Edelgards war was justified. A lot of people in the kingdom already have dislike for Crests, even Seteth expresses that he'd rather judge a person on their own values rather than a crest. Even with Rhea being deranged and a bit murder happy, she was planning on passing on her title to Byleth soon anyway. Those who slither in Dark seem way worse than both Rhea and Edelgard combined. Also I had to finish Crimson Flower twice, it was way shorter than I expected, I didn't finish my bonds in time, thankfully I was able to spare a save the save spot and go back to the beginning of the month to get it all done.

Curious how Golden Deer will play out. Claude and the alliance has so far been pretty inconsequential. It'll be interesting how they give then a spotlight.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That was actually one of my favorite characteristics of Hubert, which also sets him apart from Dedue (who, while I like, has some pretty concerning traits)
Other than perhaps withholding his plan to use crest stones at Tailtean from Dimitri, Dedue has pretty much fully resigned himself and his morals to every whim of Dimitri’s will.
Conversely, while Hubert is fully devoted to Edelgard and her cause, he is able to act independently when he believes Edelgard is making a mistake or is unwilling to do what is necessary for her to achieve her goals.
Even in defeat, Dedue is stuck fully on fulfilling Dimitri’s unhinged objectives after the prince’s death, while Hubert is able to make preparations for Fódlan’s future with his letter to the VW/SS army.
Well, about Dedue;

He does question some of Dimitri's rashness, and he does so quite early on. He often talks to Byleth to speak some sense into Dimitri. And Dedue also wasn't surprised at all when Dimitri became all dark and heartless. He knew that that was his true side all along, but rather chose to show his better side. Dedue has faith in Dimitri because of his overall good nature and because he saved his life when nobody from the Kingdom would even show people from Duscur humanity. They are very close as well, to the point where Dimitri wishes Dedue didn't treat him so formal. Edelgard in comparison takes Hubert a lot more for granted. They have a more twisted relationship, to the point where Edelgard even acts cold towards the romantic feelings of Hubert for her. I bet it wouldn't be a warm marriage...

Last edited:

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Well, about Dedue;

He does question some of Dimitri's rashness, and he does so quite early on. He often talks to Byleth to speak some sense into Dimitri. And Dedue also wasn't surprised at all when Dimitri became all dark and heartless. He knew that that was his true side all along, but rather chose to show his better side. Dedue has faith in Dimitri because of his overall good nature and because he saved his life when nobody from the Kingdom would even show people from Duscur humanity. They are very close as well, to the point where Dimitri wishes Dedue didn't treat him so formal. Edelgard in comparison takes Hubert a lot more for granted. They have a more twisted relationship, to the point where Edelgard even acts cold towards the romantic feelings of Hubert for her. I bet it wouldn't be a warm marriage...
Yeah, but from memory the only times I really remember Dedue questioning Dimitri involve him muttering "Your Highness..." in surprise and then doing nothing in response, or when he unsuccessfully tries to convince Dimitri to rest in Chapter 11 when Dimitri is starting to unravel. So I agree Dedue does give his opinion at times, but he doesn't really show the initiative that Hubert does.
But I agree with everything about Dedue's reasoning for following Dimitri! Like I said, I do like Dedue, and he's probably a purer soul than Hubert. I would rather have Dedue as a friend. I just wanted to highlight some interesting characteristics of Hubert, and contrasting him with Dedue as a retainer emphasizes them.
I'm not sure if I'd say El takes Hubert "for granted", but their relationship does seem a bit more one-sided on a personal level. That's probably just because Dimitri has a warmer, more unassuming disposition than El, while Dedue isn't one to keep secrets like Hubert, but you may have a point.
The game seems to recognize this, as the Edelgard/Hubert paired ending isn't particularly romantic. Edelgard is trying to take down those walls between them in their A Support, but I guess they don't make much more progress post-game. Or she just flat out has no romantic interest in him, which is perfectly fine.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just finished Crimson Flower, and not long ago finished the church route as well. Which leaves just Golden Deer left to do.
I'm still not convinced Edelgards war was justified. A lot of people in the kingdom already have dislike for Crests, even Seteth expresses that he'd rather judge a person on their own values rather than a crest. Even with Rhea being deranged and a bit murder happy, she was planning on passing on her title to Byleth soon anyway. Those who slither in Dark seem way worse than both Rhea and Edelgard combined. Also I had to finish Crimson Flower twice, it was way shorter than I expected, I didn't finish my bonds in time, thankfully I was able to spare a save the save spot and go back to the beginning of the month to get it all done.

Curious how Golden Deer will play out. Claude and the alliance has so far been pretty inconsequential. It'll be interesting how they give then a spotlight.
I mean personally I'd say there's a major difference between
Rhea planning on having Byleth as her successor and what she actually did, which was groom them for a position they never asked for under the assumption that Sothis would be reborn. Note the use of the word "vessel." She wasn't planning on Byleth taking over, but Sothis, her mother, taking over.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
I mean personally I'd say there's a major difference between
Rhea planning on having Byleth as her successor and what she actually did, which was groom them for a position they never asked for under the assumption that Sothis would be reborn. Note the use of the word "vessel." She wasn't planning on Byleth taking over, but Sothis, her mother, taking over.
That depends on which route you play and how far into that route you are. Like almost anything in Three Houses. And while it is true that she saw your birth as an convinient body for the godess, without her magic byleth would not have survived his birth.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That depends on which route you play and how far into that route you are. Like almost anything in Three Houses. And while it is true that she saw your birth as an convinient body for the godess, without her magic byleth would not have survived his birth.
Byleth never asked to be born. Babies that are born with life-threatening complications in real life aren't expected to owe the doctor a life debt.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Byleth never asked to be born. Babies that are born with life-threatening complications in real life aren't expected to owe the doctor a life debt.
This sounds so ****ing edgy out of context it's ****ing hilarious.

Anyway the only acceptable romance for Hubert is Ferdinand as we have the goodest himbo and the edgy goth who never got out of his Linkin' Park phase and that's just a wonderful dynamic imo
At the same time
Being born for a specific purpose and your life not mattering outside of it isn't exactly a sign of care from Rhea, she sees Byleth solely as a tool in that regard

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Anyway the only acceptable romance for Hubert is Ferdinand as we have the goodest himbo and the edgy goth who never got out of his Linkin' Park phase and that's just a wonderful dynamic imo

At the same time
Being born for a specific purpose and your life not mattering outside of it isn't exactly a sign of care from Rhea, she sees Byleth solely as a tool in that regard
Hubert's Bernadetta and Shamir endings are also pretty great, imo. But yeah, Ferdinand's definitely the one with the best chemistry.

D

Deleted member

At the same time
Gwen stop calling anything you see a himbo, Ferdinand is smart and thoughtful, he has toonmuch brains to be a himbo

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Gwen stop calling anything you see a himbo, Ferdinand is smart and thoughtful, he has toonmuch brains to be a himbo
"Is Ferdinand a Himbo?"
"No Gwen, Ferdinand is not a Himbo."
*raises hand*
"Gatekeeper is not a Himbo either."
*lowers hand*

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I have no problems with an avatar in the next FE mainline game.

But putting an avatar in an Echoes style remake would be... urgh. I can just imagine the salt and anger if they remade FE4 and you're Sigurd's extra special BFF who gets given Seliph to babysit after 'the incident'.

Top Bottom