• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Black Eagles House Leader

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Wii Fit Trainer is not an avatar character.
Then Byleth is also none. Unless you define all protagonists as avatars. But then one can argue that the trainer is the protagonist of Wii Fit....

Nevertheless I personally only think of avatars when they are really customizable.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Ive been saving dimitri's route for when i buy teh expansion, and maybe i will go with maddening- (Edlegard was my first blind playthrough on normal and claude was my hard playtrough were i recruited everyone and got all supports)

Speaking of expansions ... geee, i can see the new house being very popular considering is almost tailor made for the FE fanbase.

I mean, the perfect Gaylord, Powerful Husbando, Coolest Waifu and a cute degenerate.

I think i already love them.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Ive been saving dimitri's route for when i buy teh expansion, and maybe i will go with maddening- (Edlegard was my first blind playthrough on normal and claude was my hard playtrough were i recruited everyone and got all supports)

Speaking of expansions ... geee, i can see the new house being very popular considering is almost tailor made for the FE fanbase.

I mean, the perfect Gaylord, Powerful Husbando, Coolest Waifu and a cute degenerate.

I think i already love them.
Considering the amount of fanart I've seen (including a reference to The Emperor's New Groove that I can't unsee), you're not the only one.

Troykv

Smash Master
Thanks for the responses. Going by these, I'll go with Dimitri next. My main concern is that he reminds me a lot of Sasuke from Naruto (stoic, broody, goes insane after a time-skip, obsessed with revenge even if it's misplaced), and I HATED Sasuke in Naruto. (I found him impossible to relate to, never understood why he was so popular, and found it annoying that he got most of the focus, even more than the main character that the series is named after) Hopefully that won't be the case once I play through his route, and hopefully I find him easier to like than Sasuke.
I think this will depends of how you feel about his arc when it's finished.

Good luck.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I'm wondering how feasible is to pull an adelgard echo from byleth?

So far Dimitri and edelgard seems like it wouldn't be that bad, but claude would be very hard. the only problem is how many changes i can do before turning it into a semiclone?

Still, so far I think that Up B is teh more problematic part of Byleth moveset. which is likely what would need to change.

This is my proposal of an Edelgard echo with only 3.5 changes

1-Roy's Up B with Amyr. if i'm alowed to make further changes and considering she doesn't have roys air movility. Either add super armor to teh move, or the posibility to act after executing it and calling it raging storm.
2- Side B change Spear for Amyr (less range) Super armor or big shield damage to compensate.
3- Ike's Uair. with Amyr.
0.5. shorter stature, meaning less reach.

Visual change: replace teh other relics with more regular weapons.

Having Edelgard firing Bows would be weird as hell, but at least is better than using sword of teh creator to recover :s

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm wondering how feasible is to pull an adelgard echo from byleth?

So far Dimitri and edelgard seems like it wouldn't be that bad, but claude would be very hard. the only problem is how many changes i can do before turning it into a semiclone?

Still, so far I think that Up B is teh more problematic part of Byleth moveset. which is likely what would need to change.

This is my proposal of an Edelgard echo with only 3.5 changes

1-Roy's Up B with Amyr. if i'm alowed to make further changes and considering she doesn't have roys air movility. Either add super armor to teh move, or the posibility to act after executing it and calling it raging storm.
2- Side B change Spear for Amyr (less range) Super armor or big shield damage to compensate.
3- Ike's Uair. with Amyr.
0.5. shorter stature, meaning less reach.

Visual change: replace teh other relics with more regular weapons.

Having Edelgard firing Bows would be weird as hell, but at least is better than using sword of teh creator to recover :s
I really don't think she'd work as an echo considering only three of Byleth's attacks use Aymr.

Bee Card

Smash Ace
I don't especially wanted a new FE rep but I still can't get over the fact that Edelgard isn't the FE rep... :confused:
I mean ok Byleth can use all the weapons but that's the only argument for her/him. All others arguments are on the side of Edelgard...

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't especially wanted a new FE rep but I still can't get over the fact that Edelgard isn't the FE rep... :confused:
I mean ok Byleth can use all the weapons but that's the only argument for her/him. All others arguments are on the side of Edelgard...
On the bright side, Edelgard herself probably would've wanted Byleth, so that's one way to look at it. :p

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's the only argument that mattered in the end. At the end of the day Smash is about punching people in the face, not debating the merits and faults of meritocracy vs. aristocracy, and there's no better person at face-punching in Fodlan than Byleth. Also, the whole not showing bias to one route thing.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I really don't think she'd work as an echo considering only three of Byleth's attacks use Aymr.
I was trying to focus more on what Edel can't use (looks weird using) rather of what she uses.
Edelgar appears even on cutscenes with swords, just .. Not the sword of teh creator, and lances are'n as weird. Bows are weird, but not imposible (farming supports anyone DX?)

Still obviously is a reach, but i feel that with enough changes both dimitri and edelgard could come to a compromise (also they are indeed Byleth students after all) but Claude would be a lot harder. Up air, Up Smash, Up B, down tilt and rapid jab IMO are the attacks that would need to go to somewhat work.
i wonder how would the smash comunity would react if they do the 3 lords as semiclones? :4pacman:

On the bright side, Edelgard herself probably would've wanted Byleth, so that's one way to look at it. :p
Most Edeleth fan art I've seen since has been like this so can confirm
View attachment 258842
Even in death ToT

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Then Byleth is also none. Unless you define all protagonists as avatars. But then one can argue that the trainer is the protagonist of Wii Fit....

Nevertheless I personally only think of avatars when they are really customizable.
How do you get that logic? An avatar character is a stand-in for the player. Villager, Pokemon Trainer, Robin, Corrin, Byleth, and arguably Inkling and Link are avatar characters. Common features of avatar characters (though they won't all have all these traits) are being renamable, customizable, and silent aside from potential dialogue options. Wii Fit Trainer is not an avatar just because you can pick a gender in Smash, they're not player stand-ins in the game they come from.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's very easy to accept dude; Byleth is the main character of Three Houses. That means he always was the obvious choice, for very obvious reasons.

Also, Areadbhar uses the most attacks after the Sword of the Creator, so the easiest character to make a semi clone out of Byleth would be Dimitri.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's very easy to accept dude; Byleth is the main character of Three Houses. That means he always was the obvious choice, for very obvious reasons.

Also, Areadbhar uses the most attacks after the Sword of the Creator, so the easiest character to make a semi clone out of Byleth would be Dimitri.
I mean, Areadbhar is used in a whopping...four attacks. That's only one more than Aymr and two more than Failnaught. It's not easy to make ANY of them semi-clones.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I mean, Areadbhar is used in a whopping...four attacks. That's only one more than Aymr and two more than Failnaught. It's not easy to make ANY of them semi-clones.
Doesn't aerial Side B count? Well, it's about as many attacks as the Sword of the Creator has. It's not easy to make a semi clone out of those attacks no, but a distinct play style is already there. I think it's genius honestly. You could throw in some generic Marth-based sword attacks in the move sets and you'd basically have Dimitri and Edelgard already in. Dimitri might borrow a little from Corrin, Edelgard a little from Ike.

If there's gonna be a revamp next Smash, am kind of expecting Byleth's move set to be thorn in pieces and give what's due to each House Leader.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Doesn't aerial Side B count? Well, it's about as many attacks as the Sword of the Creator has. It's not easy to make a semi clone out of those attacks no, but a distinct play style is already there. I think it's genius honestly. You could throw in some generic Marth-based sword attacks in the move sets and you'd basically have Dimitri and Edelgard already in. Dimitri might borrow a little from Corrin, Edelgard a little from Ike.

If there's gonna be a revamp next Smash, am kind of expecting Byleth's move set to be thorn in pieces and give what's due to each House Leader.
Two aerials + fsmash + side special = 4 moves for lance.

Jab + tilts + usmash + uair + up special = 7 moves for sword, not counting final smash.

Three characters from a Fire Emblem game again... yeah, that'll go over well. Haters are beyond caring about actual movesets at this point.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Two aerials + fsmash + side special = 4 moves for lance.

Jab + tilts + usmash + uair + up special = 7 moves for sword, not counting final smash.

Three characters from a Fire Emblem game again... yeah, that'll go over well. Haters are beyond caring about actual movesets at this point.
For the lord the grabs with swords and most of teh tilts are ok, what we need is ways to change sword of teh creator. All of teh lords can be promoted to unique sword clases (lord) so them using normal swords is not super weeird. Also change the weapons from relics to more normal weapons (outside of each lord relic)

it would be nice if we could reuse stctics and animation from other attacks as bases, still obviously we are just talking about a "what if" thats not gonna happen (even if they are put together from other moves and come withouth stage and music, i fear for Sakurai's life if they add even one extra FE character thats is not an easy echo... hechk, even maybe an easy echo too)

For Dimitri, bot up air and upsmash could be taken from the belmonts and for edelgard from Ike. down tilt could come from marth, IMO the biggest offender is UP B Up B could be where you consider special features of the character and based on other up B, you design an uique move (Roy's Up B for edelgard when you can act after it "raging Storm") for example.

give Dimitri a variation of Down B where he uses the lance and trades super armor for range and edelgard a variation of side b where she uses teh axe and trades range for super armor or shield damage and they can still retain a good chunck of their personalities.

That gives us rapid jab and final smash, as for final smash, just a gambit that is common for all the lords would work.

D

Deleted member

Technically, any FE3H character can be a Byleth Echo due to the fact they can all, in theory, use the Relics.
yes i know none of them can use the creator sword at full power shut up im gonna mod edelgard over byleth

Troykv

Smash Master
Technically, any FE3H character can be a Byleth Echo due to the fact they can all, in theory, use the Relics.
yes i know none of them can use the creator sword at full power shut up im gonna mod edelgard over byleth
Edelgard only needs to get the Crest Stone and put it in the thing... somehow.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Or maybe we can have
Nemesis
be a Byleth echo since they would be able to use SOTC at full power. :p

zumaddy

Smash Ace
When Edelgard!Byleth joins the battle, Alfonzo is in charge of the Black Eagles House. Alfonzo: "Leave it to me!"

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
When Edelgard!Byleth joins the battle, Alfonzo is in charge of the Black Eagles House. Alfonzo: "Leave it to me!"
This actually brings up a potentially fun discussion. Which Smash characters do you think would hypothetically join the Black Eagles?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So what's the consensus on which version of Edelgard to vote for in CYL4? I'm leaning towards voting for the academy phase.

D

Deleted member

So what's the consensus on which version of Edelgard to vote for in CYL4? I'm leaning towards voting for the academy phase.
Votes are being tallied together so it doesn't really matter

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I'd recommend voting for timeskip Edelgard as she is not in the game yet (however she'd likely be armored so take that as you will)

I'm pretty sure she's a lock for one of the two slots, I'm predicting FByleth, Lysithea, Hilda or Bernie taking the other.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That didn't get Chrom in before Robin.
By that time, we only had Marth and Ike in Brawl. And Sakurai explicitly said that no matter how they tried , a moveset for Chrom would always result in a character that's basically in between Marth and Ike. Sort of like he is now. Robin is also as much as a main character in Fire Emblem Awakening.

It's simply not the same situation as Byleth is in, not by a longshot. Byleth also represents the OTHER potential main characters of his game in his moveset. They easily could've opted for "Enlightened One Byleth", using only the Sword of the Creator, brawling gauntlets, a few kicks here and there, and magic. But they didn't.

I'll say it again here because people don't wanna hear it it seems; BYLETH IS THE OBVIOUS CHOICE FOR A THREE HOUSES SMASH FIGHTER AND IF YOU EVER THOUGHT ANYTHING ELSE YOU'VE JUST BEEN FOOLING YOURSELF.

Even die hard Edelgard fans should be satisfied with how Byleth turned out. Sure Aymr is probably the worst of the 3 Relics (outside of D Air maybe, I doubt the other moves will be usable) but it's still represented.

I get tired of this Byleth bashing.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
By that time, we only had Marth and Ike in Brawl. And Sakurai explicitly said that no matter how they tried , a moveset for Chrom would always result in a character that's basically in between Marth and Ike. Sort of like he is now. Robin is also as much as a main character in Fire Emblem Awakening.

It's simply not the same situation as Byleth is in, not by a longshot. Byleth also represents the OTHER potential main characters of his game in his moveset. They easily could've opted for "Enlightened One Byleth", using only the Sword of the Creator, brawling gauntlets, a few kicks here and there, and magic. But they didn't.

I'll say it again here because people don't wanna hear it it seems; BYLETH IS THE OBVIOUS CHOICE FOR A THREE HOUSES SMASH FIGHTER AND IF YOU EVER THOUGHT ANYTHING ELSE YOU'VE JUST BEEN FOOLING YOURSELF.

Even die hard Edelgard fans should be satisfied with how Byleth turned out. Sure Aymr is probably the worst of the 3 Relics (outside of D Air maybe, I doubt the other moves will be usable) but it's still represented.

I get tired of this Byleth bashing.
Parallel wasn't bashing Byleth though?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Is Robin not also a main character in Awakening? The only real assumption here is that they'd go for the main swordsman lord.
Robin is indeed a main character but so is Chrom. Back in Smash 4, nobody saw Robin coming and expected Chrom and while people like pointing at Sakurai's statement of Robin being more unique, the fact he still considered Chrom and had to compare Robin to Chrom kind of proves Sakurai planned Chrom over Robin at first

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This is an Edelgard support thread, just in case you couldn't tell. You're being incredibly rude.

Failnaught is used in all of two moves and neutral air looks absolutely terrible, lol. Down Special is obviously for meme kills and whatnot, but down smash and down air (for its shield eating qualities) are absolutely better than neutral air.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
All my seven votes are going to Edie for CYL. I'm actually expecting Dimitri, Claude, Edelgard and Bernadetta/Lysithea to be the winners.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Add me to the support list. I’d love more FE characters more than Rillaboom or Toxtricity, and this definitely seems like one of the only other Three Houses characters who I would enjoy making it in.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I hope Fire Emblem gets its own fighting game so the Empress can shine brighter like she deserves.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This is an Edelgard support thread, just in case you couldn't tell. You're being incredibly rude.
Maybe it's rude, but it's also realistic. I stated the same very thing before Byleth's reveal, and I asked what the reception to Byleth would be if they got in, and not Edelgard. The answers where mostly positive, but all I read here is negativity. To me, that really doesn't make sense. It's like Corrin and Azura all over. Can't believe a fanbase of the very same game is bitter over the confirmation of it's main protagonist.

Failnaught is used in all of two moves and neutral air looks absolutely terrible, lol. Down Special is obviously for meme kills and whatnot, but down smash and down air (for its shield eating qualities) are absolutely better than neutral air.
N Air probably is meme tier yes. Probably still a lot more useful than Down B however. Can't tell much about D Smash, it also looks slow. D Air probably is good on shield and reads though. Looks like Byleth will mainly use the Sword of the Creator and Areadbhar as their main weapons in competitive play. However, I doubt Byleth will be competitively viable.

Top Bottom