• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Black Eagles House Leader

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Anywho, seeing as nobody posted the new pic from Twitter celebrating the New Year, I figured I'd do it.

Look at these dorks in their fancy overcoats.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Edelgard's cloak a reference to her dad?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
[checks a page previous]

Ah. Oh dear. I'll just...be over here...appreciating every route and lord as a flawed and complex representation of the choices we make and how they can shape the history of the world...

Real talk, they're all interesting characters and they all have major flaws and there's really zero need to have any kind of infighting between the lords and routes. Yes, even the church. Let us do what these kids couldn't and get along...

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Anywho, seeing as nobody posted the new pic from Twitter celebrating the New Year, I figured I'd do it.

Look at these dorks in their fancy overcoats.
Thought this was a spirit event announcement at first and almost got freaked out

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh, also, I figured I'd post the slightly updated version of my Edelgard moveset here, too.

Edelgard uses her signature axe, Aymr, in Smash Bros. She's the shortest of the current Fire Emblem cast, but not by a large margin. She's not very quick, about on par with Mii Swordfighter, while also being decently heavy due to her axe.

To offset these characteristics, her playstyle revolves around taking full control of and limiting the opponent's movement options, allowing her to more easily get a few solid hits in. In Fire Emblem Three Houses, one major new feature is the Battalion and Gambit system, which works off of the user's Charm stat and Authority level. By selecting a Gambit, a battalion of soldiers joins a unit for a group attack, and these can have various effects.

One common theme is limiting the target's options. Opponents can't counter attack, Gambits often leave Beast units dazed and unable to strike, and when used on normal enemies, they often prevent them from moving at all.

Edelgard's best combat ranks in Three Houses are Axes and Authority, which would make up her moveset here. This also showcases her personality, as someone who always has a plan and leaves nothing to chance. By eliminating the opponent's escape options, she forces them to face her head on, where she can then deliver a decisive blow.

Jab - A two-hit combo attack, wherein Edelgard hits the opponent in a chopping motion with her axe, alternating which side she swings from.

Dash Attack - While running, Edelgard swings her axe upward from the ground in an arching sweep.

Forward Tilt - A two-strike attack, similar to Meta Knight and Piranha Plant. On the first hit, Edelgard sweeps her axe from the side, and the second hit has her continuing the motion as she swings it downward from overhead.

Up Tilt - Edelgard swings her axe from the ground to above her head in an almost golf club-like motion.

Down Tilt - While crouching, Edelgard kicks outward while holding her axe close by.

Neutral Air - Edelgard swings Aymr in a complete circle around her body. If this move is held, she keeps performing this move and each subsequent swing gets a lightning effect with high hitstun.

Up Air - Edelgard performs a motion similar to Ike's old up air, but with a fire effect imbuing the axe.

Forward Air - Edelgard slams Aymr downward in front of her, and if the foe makes contact with the spiked end, they get, well, spiked.

Back Air - Edelgard swings Aymr behind her. If an opponent is hit, a small explosion-like fire effect activates and launches them backwards.

Down Air - Edelgard slams Aymr downward, falling downward with it. If she hits an opponent in the air with it, they both plummet straight down and, upon hitting the ground, the foe takes very high damage. The move has a lightning effect to reference the Lightning Axe art.

Forward Smash - Taken from her own Smash combat art, Edelgard leaps forward and smashes Aymr into the ground in front of her.

Up Smash - Edelgard thrusts Aymr skyward as a giant projection of the Crest of Flames envelops it, the sigil doing rapid multi-hit damage before exploding.

Down Smash - Edelgard ducks down and spins Aymr along the ground in a circle as one fluid motion. Shortly afterwards, the circled area around her bursts into flames for an additional attack.

Pummel - Edelgard grabs the foe and bashes them with Aymr.

Forward Throw - Based on the Smite maneuver, Edelgard launches the foe forward with high knockback by swinging her axe at them. This is a powerful kill throw.

Back Throw - Edelgard throws the opponent, slamming them into the ground behind her.

Up Throw - Edelgard uses one hand to launch the foe skyward.

Down Throw - Edelgard throws the foe into the ground beneath her.

Neutral Special - Raging Storm - Edelgard readies her stance as Aymr takes on a red glow and the Crest of Seiros appears above her. Upon releasing the button, she swings the axe with full force. If an opponent is hit by this move, they won't take much damage, but will fall into a crumple state in a small explosion. Edelgard can then follow up with a strong Smash Attack, or regain space by leaving the foe there.

Side Special - Hand Axe - A simple projectile and one of Edelgard's faster attacks. Edelgard takes a small throwing axe and tosses it. It will then spin through the air as it flies, before hitting the ground and disappearing. If foes are hit with the blade, they will take much more damage than if hit with the handle. The blade will also do significant shield damage. While the move is fast, it cannot be spammed easily, as only one Hand Axe can be on the screen at a time per Edelgard.

Up Special - Flickering Flower - Edelgard takes from one of her Critical Hit animations and leaps upward with Aymr held high, and then crashes downward at a diagonal. If the crash is completed, the area of impact will be scorched with flames for a few moments. The move has a rising hitbox with Aymr's head, but it can be cancelled before reaching the full height. This, however, loses the hitbox. This attack acts as a mix between Cross Chop and Super Dedede Jump.

Down Special - Fusillade - Edelgard makes an exaggerated wave of her hand and yells "Now!" From the fourth wall, a volley of arrows from an unseen imperial battalion rains down in a column shaped area in front of her, covering the same amount of height as Palutena's up smash. This attack can be used for edge-guarding purposes, as airborne opponent's will be slightly pushed downward for each arrow that hits them. However, if Edelgard is in the air when she uses this move, only one arrow will be launched, reducing the move's effectiveness. This move also has a small cooldown after it's used, so use it wisely.

Final Smash - Raging Flames - Edelgard whacks a nearby foe with Aymr, triggering a cutscene as "Gambit Boost" flashes onto the screen. A cart full of explosives is wheeled toward the knocked down foe. Edelgard is joined by Byleth and Hubert. Edelgard gives the command as Hubert fires a Miasma toward the cart, the latter laughing all the while. The cart explodes on contact with the target as the cutscene ends and the foe is sent flying.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh, also, I figured I'd post the slightly updated version of my Edelgard moveset here, too.

Anywho, because it's topical, I figured I'd show off my Edelgard moveset again, since I did tweak it a bit.
Two dimensions converged here directly on Opossum's possible choice of wording.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Two dimensions converged here directly on Opossum's possible choice of wording.
Shut up I accidentally copypasted the opening of the original post when I was grabbing the moveset. >:^(

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Edelgard won the Voting Gauntlet against Dimitri in FEH, this should prove once and for all that she isn't at all an hated character by most of the player base.

FTXSR

Smash Rookie
I just finished the game. unfortunately I f'd up and took Rhea's route and went against Edelgard thinking she'd some how come back,
but f yeah, I'd love seeing her in smash. I'd rather her over Byleth.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Edelgard won the Voting Gauntlet against Dimitri in FEH, this should prove once and for all that she isn't at all an hated character by most of the player base.
Isn't VG chance-based? At least from what I have heard (doesn't play mobile gacha-like games).

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Isn't VG chance-based? At least from what I have heard (doesn't play mobile gacha-like games).
Not entirely. The way VG works is that each player choses a character and by battling they gain points for said character. The "chance" aspect comes into play because when a character is losing hard (so there is a very big gap in points) the players of said character get a special point multiplier in order to have the chance to reach the other character.

As someone who played a lot of FEH in these days, Edelgard was the one who had the vantage for most of the time, so Dimitri was the one who had the special multiplier available the most. That means that they had a really close number of players.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Not entirely. The way VG works is that each player choses a character and by battling they gain points for said character. The "chance" aspect comes into play because when a character is losing hard (so there is a very big gap in points) the players of said character get a special point multiplier in order to have the chance to reach the other character.

As someone who played a lot of FEH in these days, Edelgard was the one who had the vantage for most of the time, so Dimitri was the one who had the special multiplier available the most. That means that they had a really close number of players.
Is that basically like the ARMS Party Crashes?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Is that basically like the ARMS Party Crashes?
I haven't played Party Crashes in ARMS so I'm not entirely sure, but it could be. At the very least it proves they had a similar amount of players, rather than one overwhelming the other.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I haven't played Party Crashes in ARMS so I'm not entirely sure, but it could be. At the very least it proves they had a similar amount of players, rather than one overwhelming the other.
In any given lobby during the event, if one featured character earned a lot more points from being used and especially from winning games, the other would receive a larger point multiplier.

The last series of crashes was a tournament-style with Min-Min eventually coming out on top.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
In any given lobby during the event, if one featured character earned a lot more points from being used and especially from winning games, the other would receive a larger point multiplier.

The last series of crashes was a tournament-style with Min-Min eventually coming out on top.
Ah I see, thanks for the explanation.
Bit of an off topic but I really should go back and play more ARMS.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ah I see, thanks for the explanation.
Bit of an off topic but I really should go back and play more ARMS.
Well, let me know if there's still a healthy playerbase online. It didn't light the world on fire but it's hard to ask more from a debut, especially in the face of stiff competition.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ah neat, we hit 1,500 posts. :p

Here's hoping she gets in.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I LOOK TO YOU

LIKE A RED ROSE

SEEKING SMASH DLC

NO MATTER WHEN EDELGARD GETS ADDED TO SMASH ULTIMATE

I LONG TO STAY

WHERE DLC DWELLS

TO GUARD AGAINST THE FANS

WHO’LL PROBABLY BE SALTYYYY

EDELGARD FOR SMASH.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
On that note, I fleshed out my idea for Edelgard's Classic Mode route.

Edelgard Route: Reach for My Hand

Battle 1:
Fighters: Edelgard with Ally Ganondorf and Pit vs Team Simon
Song: Fódlan Winds
Stage: Omega Gaur Plain, Night

Basis: Based on the Prologue Battle against Kostas and his bandits. Simon stands in for the latter two, while Ganondorf and Pit represent Dimitri and Claude, respectively.

Battle 2:
Fighters: Edelgard and Ally Marth vs Ganondorf and Pit
Song: Blue Skies and a Battle
Stage: Garreg Mach Monastery

Basis: Battle of the Eagle and Lion. This is a free for all, but Ganondorf or Pit will get a power boost if they KO one another. Be careful. Marth represents Male Byleth. As a side note, Marth makes no vocalizations.

Battle 3:
Fighters: Edelgard and Ally Lucina vs Sheik and Robin.
Song: Shambhala (Area 17 Redux)
Stage: Reset Bomb Forest

Basis: Represents the fight against Kronya and Solon (Sheik and Robin, respectively). Lucina is Female Byleth and is also muted.

Battle 4:
Fighters: Edelgard and Ally Marth vs Pit, Charizard, and Female Villager (Pink Hair)
Song: God-Shattering Star
Stage: Delfino Plaza

Basis: This represents the battle against Claude at Derdriu. Pit is Claude, Charizard is his wyvern, Villager is Hilda (and prefers Timber). Mute Marth is Male Byleth.

Battle 5:
Fighters: Edelgard and Ally Lucina vs Ganondorf and Giant Little Mac
Song: Indomitable Will
Stage: Omega Distant Planet (Rain)

Basis: Based on the fight against Dimitri at Tailtean Plains. Dimitri is represented by Ganondorf while Giant Little Mac represents Dedue. A muted Ally Lucina is Female Byleth.

Battle 6:
Fighters: Edelgard and Ally Marth vs Palutena (after Palutena gets KO'd, she's replaced by a Giant Ridley)
Song: Apex of the World
Stage: Temple

Basis: Based on the final chapter of Crimson Flower, the battle against Rhea. Palutena is the stand in for Rhea, and when defeated, a Giant Ridley appears, representing the Immaculate One. Marth is muted and is also Male Byleth.

Bonus Stage lmao

Battle 7:
Fighters: Edelgard and Lucina vs Master Hand and Crazy Hand
Song: Edge of Dawn (Seasons of Warfare)
Stage: Final Destination

Basis: Byleth reached for Edelgard's hand and helped her achieve her dream. Now the Hands reach back.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I want any of the TH lords in, so long as we get a TH stage, music and spirits. I'll be gutted if the game doesn't appear in Smash Ultimate at all :(
Byleth is a bit lower on my list than Edelgard, Dimitri or Claude but I wouldn't mind them.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh hey, Edelgard made it to the Voting Gauntlet finals. Here's hoping she can beat Veronica!

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Oh hey, Edelgard made it to the Voting Gauntlet finals. Here's hoping she can beat Veronica!
*sweats in Team Veronica* I need those bonus points, man. And I do like Veronica.

Anyways I'm not sure what happens in Heroes would have a ton of sway on a FE Smash DLC pick. Otherwise we'd be getting Reinhardt who becomes more hated than Bayonetta and Meta Knight combined

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
*sweats in Team Veronica* I need those bonus points, man. And I do like Veronica.

Anyways I'm not sure what happens in Heroes would have a ton of sway on a FE Smash DLC pick. Otherwise we'd be getting Reinhardt who becomes more hated than Bayonetta and Meta Knight combined
Oh it definitely wouldn't have Smash sway, lol. The lack of a Reinhardt spirit confirmed that to me. :p I just figured I'd mention it here since I'd guess most folks here like Edelgard.

D

Deleted member

Really hoping that I get Fire Emblem Three Houses on the second day of Christmas for Spain when I wake up.

Seems kinda unlikely, but one can still hope.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

While I don't think it would influence a lot, Nintendo does consider Heroes as a big game, to the point of including it in their "Games of the Decade" picture over Fates, Echoes and even 3H.

While the VG doesn't really mean much I think they would look at the imminent Choose Your Legend poll to see who are the most popular characters.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
While I don't think it would influence a lot, Nintendo does consider Heroes as a big game, to the point of including it in their "Games of the Decade" picture over Fates, Echoes and even 3H.

While the VG doesn't really mean much I think they would look at the imminent Choose Your Legend poll to see who are the most popular characters.
Say, when exactly IS CYL? Is it held in January or February? This will be my first one, so I want to prepare. Although I feel I should mention we haven't even had our third "Brave Redux", or whatever they'll call it yet. So much for Lif and Awakening Anna...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Say, when exactly IS CYL? Is it held in January or February? This will be my first one, so I want to prepare. Although I feel I should mention we haven't even had our third "Brave Redux", or whatever they'll call it yet. So much for Lif and Awakening Anna...
Generally it's held in January.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I'd be extremely surprised if Edelgard didn't win this year's CYL alongside Dimitri and Claude. I feel 2nd place is likely Marianne or Bernie.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'd be extremely surprised if Edelgard didn't win this year's CYL alongside Dimitri and Claude. I feel 2nd place is likely Marianne or Bernie.
As long as we don't end up in another "alts but not the original" situation. We have enough of those as is.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Speaking of Choose Your Legends, do you think they'll put pre- and post-timeskip designs separately? On one hand they combined most characters from the Archanea and Tellius games despite the passage of time (especially pretty notable with Tellius with characters like Sothe), but on the other hand certain characters that had more drastic changes, like Hardin, weren't combined.

Personally I'd bank on them being combined but I wanted other people's perspectives. And if they aren't combined...are you voting for pre- or post-timeskip Edelgard? :p

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Speaking of Choose Your Legends, do you think they'll put pre- and post-timeskip designs separately? On one hand they combined most characters from the Archanea and Tellius games despite the passage of time (especially pretty notable with Tellius with characters like Sothe), but on the other hand certain characters that had more drastic changes, like Hardin, weren't combined.

Personally I'd bank on them being combined but I wanted other people's perspectives. And if they aren't combined...are you voting for pre- or post-timeskip Edelgard? :p
I guess it really depends. You wouldn't happen to have a list of characters that weren't combined, would you? I know Eliwood wasn't (he was split between Binding Blade and Blazing Blade), but I feel like if I had a list, it would help me determine exactly WHY those characters weren't merged. As for Edelgard, I'll probably vote for both. It depends on how many votes I have to spare (I'm giving Frost from New Mystery of the Emblem my "pity vote" because he was the least-voted character last year).

D

Deleted member

Did any characters that appear in both parts of FE4 not get merged?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Did any characters that appear in both parts of FE4 not get merged?
From what I can tell, Finn, Oifey, and Shannan all got merged.

Assuming the list I found is accurate, the characters who didn't get merged were:

Hardin (Coyote and Dark Emperor listed separately)
Camus (Camus, Zeke, and Sirius all listed separately)
Tiki (Adult Tiki listed separately)
Briggid (Eyvel counted separately)
Marcus (Blazing Blade counted separately)
Eliwood (Blazing Blade counted separately)
Bartre (Blazing Blade counted separately)
Karel (Blazing Blade counted separately)
Guinevere (Blazing Blade counted separately)
Zephiel (Blazing Blade counted separately)
Merlinus (Blazing Blade counted separately)
Owain (Odin counted separately)
Inigo (Laslow counted separately)
Severa (Selena counted separately)
Anna (All versions counted separately)

So basically it seems like the separated ones have different names (Camus, Briggid, Owain, Inigo, Severa), or are straight up different people (Anna).

The remaining leftovers are Hardin (who's a radically different character depending on if you're talking about pre- or post-possession), Tiki (who's 2000 years older and finally an adult), or the Elibe crew (20 years changes a lot).

The thing that makes it weird is that the gap between Genealogy generations is about the same length of time as the gap between Blazing Blade and Binding Blade, so in theory folks like Finn and Oifey SHOULD be separate.

The main difference however seems to be when there's a radical difference across two DIFFERENT games. So because Three Houses is just one game, it likely won't get its vote split for pre- and post-timeskip.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Assuming the list I found is accurate, the characters who didn't get merged were:

So basically it seems like the separated ones have different names (Camus, Briggid, Owain, Inigo, Severa), or are straight up different people (Anna).

The remaining leftovers are Hardin (who's a radically different character depending on if you're talking about pre- or post-possession), Tiki (who's 2000 years older and finally an adult), or the Elibe crew (20 years changes a lot).

The thing that makes it weird is that the gap between Genealogy generations is about the same length of time as the gap between Blazing Blade and Binding Blade, so in theory folks like Finn and Oifey SHOULD be separate.

The main difference however seems to be when there's a radical difference across two DIFFERENT games. So because Three Houses is just one game, it likely won't get its vote split for pre- and post-timeskip.
Nice job with the research. A little dissapointing I won't be able to vote for both pre- and post-timeskip Bernadetta, but hey, it expands my options a bit. Still, we might want to wait until CYL4 actually begins, just so we know for certain.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Oh man, I'm totally predicting a female character who overall got 2nd place in votes losing out on CYL due to both their versions getting votes. Like Marth in the second CYL.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master

Three Houses it's pretty much the same case as Finn, in fact, it's even less radical xD

Top Bottom