• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Black Eagles House Leader

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Keep in mind too, she descended a bit before striking based on the framing of the cutscene. So she made that almost comically massive vertical leap while presumably armored (albeit without her shield) and while wielding Aymr, a massive battle axe.

Doing that would take an absolutely massive amount of lower body strength, which is very important for an axe fighter since it affects your swing. And the best part is that she seemingly did this while exhausted, as this is after the climactic battle and she's literally out of breath at the start of the cutscene.
You know what's funny? Claude also does something similar in these giant leaps of faith with an iron broadsword in the Citizens of the East clip. This clip also shows one of the only two characters with confirmed arrow-timing reactions, that being Claude himself and Nemesis, which is why I start the clip there.

All of the main Lords, Byleth included, have their fair share of amazing feats either through in-game lore or cutscenes.

For Strength? Dimitri (excluding the Sword of the Creator)
For Durability? Rhea
For reaction Speed? Claude
For Hax and OP abilities? Edelgard.

We don't really have any idea what their power levels are since yoi can't compare gameplay and story 1:1 and physical strength isn't the only thing that matters.
Thats why any VS Debate uses Standard Battle Assumptions, SBAs, whatever you wanna call 'em. Basically we're just assuming we're in a field where no one has an advantage, both are bloodlusted, and they're within 10 meters of each other. From that alone on a 1v1, we can pretty much tell who will win.

We're not trying to assume who wins canonically, we're assuming who wins based on what the authors give us and that alone. Plot can give anyone a chance. Hell, plot manipulation is an actual ability for some of these characters, like the dude with All Fiction in Medaka Box.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Okay guys we need to talk about a very pressing matter.

...If Edelgard gets in, what size are they going to use for Aymr? Because my god they're never consistent with it lmao.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't know, maybe the size of Falchion?
That's about the size of it in her official art, but elsewhere (in game, in cutscenes, and in her figma) the head and handle are far larger.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That's about the size of it in her official art, but elsewhere (in game, in cutscenes, and in her figma) the head and handle are far larger.
It's either gonna be a Ragnell or a Falchion, you only got two options man. I don't make the rules.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's either gonna be a Ragnell or a Falchion, you only got two options man. I don't make the rules.
Oh I'm definitely expecting closer to Ragnell for length. I was mainly talking about the axehead itself.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Oh I'm definitely expecting closer to Ragnell for length. I was mainly talking about the axehead itself.
Oh, the axehead?

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

one edelgard head vertically, two edelgard heads horizontally

That's the best unit of measuremnt I can think of.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh, the axehead?

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

one edelgard head vertically, two edelgard heads horizontally

That's the best unit of measuremnt I can think of.
There's only one person I know who would use Edelgard's head as a unit of measurement.

I'm onto you, Dimitri. :V

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There's only one person I know who would use Edelgard's head as a unit of measurement.

I'm onto you, Dimitri. :V
Putting heads on pikes kind of makes Dimitri the Fire Emblem Dracula.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Putting heads on pikes kind of makes Dimitri the Fire Emblem Dracula.
He isn't even that mad at Edelgard. He's just mad at her by proxy because Hubert stole his vampire aesthetic.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
He isn't even that mad at Edelgard. He's just mad at her by proxy because Hubert stole his vampire aesthetic.
Hubert is the king of getting destroyed and going "ah **** well i'll just retreat" after being fatally stabbed in the chest for the third time.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Okay guys we need to talk about a very pressing matter.

...If Edelgard gets in, what size are they going to use for Aymr? Because my god they're never consistent with it lmao.
Easy. They'll make her a King Dedede echo with the crouch and everything. :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hubert is the king of getting destroyed and going "ah **** well i'll just retreat" after being fatally stabbed in the chest for the third time.
Hubert is the kid on the playground who insists you didn't tag him when you totally did.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hubert is the kid on the playground who insists you didn't tag him when you totally did.
Hubert is the kid that curses you with black magic for tagging him you mean.

He killed trained soldiers in his youth.

He doesn't **** around.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hubert is the kid that curses you with black magic for tagging him you mean.

He killed trained soldiers in his youth.

He doesn't **** around.
Honestly Hubert's great. I'm just happy that if Edelgard ends up getting in, Hubert is virtually guaranteed to show up somewhere. Probably in her Final Smash via a Gambit Boost, plus maybe a spirit battle.

Troykv

Smash Master
Honestly Hubert's great. I'm just happy that if Edelgard ends up getting in, Hubert is virtually guaranteed to show up somewhere. Probably in her Final Smash via a Gambit Boost, plus maybe a spirit battle.
What do you think it would be Hubert's battle? :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What do you think it would be Hubert's battle? :p
- Blue Male Robin on the (presumed) Garreg Mach stage, prefers special moves.
- The floor is on fire. ("We shall burn together!")
- Is eventually joined by an ally Edelgard, whereupon Hubert/Robin's magic damage output increaes.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
So I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but am I allowed to throw my support in if I think
we need better villain representation in Smash?
Because if so, I'm in.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but am I allowed to throw my support in if I think
we need better villain representation in Smash?
Because if so, I'm in.
Edelgard being an antagonist is pretty much publicly known by the thread at this point, no shame in hiding it.

Blue Male Robin
You mean Ashe? :secretkpop:

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The Edelgard for Smash Twitter page just posted a possible Spirit Board for her inclusion. Thoughts?

It's so close to being perfect. All it needs, of course, is Ferdinand von Aegir, Legitimate Son of Duke Aegir and Future Prime Minister of the Adrestian Empire.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
It's so close to being perfect. All it needs, of course, is Ferdinand von Aegir, Legitimate Son of Duke Aegir and Future Prime Minister of the Adrestian Empire.
His Spirit battle would need have him taunt a lot. Though who'd best represent him?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
His Spirit battle would need have him taunt a lot. Though who'd best represent him?
I'd say either red Marth to reference his post-timeskip outfit or golden/orange Marth to match his hair color. Taunts a lot. Over time, he gradually gets stronger since he's always trying to better himself, or he can randomly gain super armor to reference his armor proficiency.

I figure Marth would work well as a base since he's among the more classically noble male characters on the roster, and his tipper mechanic matches a lance decently well.

D

Deleted member

Ferdinand von Aegir's spirit battle should be, and it pains me so much to say this, Daisy

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The Edelgard for Smash Twitter page just posted a possible Spirit Board for her inclusion. Thoughts?

Death Knight feels like a Legendary Spirit

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Been a while since I stopped by here but I got to wonder: How has the Edelgard love/hate train going? Still seems like Dimitri is everybody's favorite, if polls are of any concern but I wonder elsewhere.

For that matter: What are Edelgard's chances as off late? I still think Byleth's the biggest roadblock considering they're the avatar character, hence my wish is that both of them get added ala Robin and Lucina. Though having two original FE characters still feels like a pipe dream for me lol.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still hugely prefer Dimitri over Edelgard, and I can see why the Fire Emblem fanbase would think the same.

Because Blue Lions / Azure Moon is how most regular Fire Emblem games go, or at least take the same general direction towards. Kingdom gets overrun by Empire / drastical stronger nation, heir to the kingdom takes charge and control in the name of justice and vengeance. It's similar to Marth's story, but Azure Moon got a twist, that's Dimitri's mental health bordering on insanity and bloodlust. However he's also highly idealistic, just and good natured like most previous Fire Emblem Lords. He combines characteristics that have always been popular in Fire Emblem main characters, but with a darker twist. It's easy to see why Intelligent Systems gave this route the most attention as well.

Doesn't mean that Edelgard and Claude aren't good written characters, they are. It's what makes Three Houses so amazing. It's just that Dimitri falls better in line of what Fire Emblem was before Three Houses, and gray morality.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I still hugely prefer Dimitri over Edelgard, and I can see why the Fire Emblem fanbase would think the same.

Because Blue Lions / Azure Moon is how most regular Fire Emblem games go, or at least take the same general direction towards. Kingdom gets overrun by Empire / drastical stronger nation, heir to the kingdom takes charge and control in the name of justice and vengeance. It's similar to Marth's story, but Azure Moon got a twist, that's Dimitri's mental health bordering on insanity and bloodlust. However he's also highly idealistic, just and good natured like most previous Fire Emblem Lords. He combines characteristics that have always been popular in Fire Emblem main characters, but with a darker twist. It's easy to see why Intelligent Systems gave this route the most attention as well.

Doesn't mean that Edelgard and Claude aren't good written characters, they are. It's what makes Three Houses so amazing. It's just that Dimitri falls better in line of what Fire Emblem was before Three Houses, and gray morality.
If we're talking gray morality, Edelgard is the undisputed queen of that area. As you say, Dmitri is basically a normal FE lord with mental problems, which I wouldn't consider gray morality, just that the poor guy needs help.

Dmitri's fine, and I certainly wouldn't complain if he got in, but Edelgard not at all being the stereotypical Fire Emblem Lord is what made me like her so much.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I mean mainly in regards to the fandom. Is the Edelgard hate still as bad as it was during early release? Or are people still kissing Dimitri's ass to the point of drowning out any legitimate criticism/unpopular opinions about him (looking at you FE subreddit...).

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I mean mainly in regards to the fandom. Is the Edelgard hate still as bad as it was during early release? Or are people still kissing Dimitri's ass to the point of drowning out any legitimate criticism/unpopular opinions about him (looking at you FE subreddit...).
Dunno, I think this is all overblown in general. Each Lord has their fans and their detractors. Edelgard's are just more exaggerated because she directly serves as a villain on all the other routes.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
sleep: wanting dimitri because he's a "generic lord" what the **** does that even mean

woke: wanting edelgard because axe + antagonist

ascended: wanting claude because wyvern archer

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
sleep: wanting dimitri because he's a "generic lord" what the **** does that even mean

woke: wanting edelgard because axe + antagonist

ascended: wanting claude because wyvern archer
Godtier: wanting Bernadetta because cinnamon roll.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If we're talking gray morality, Edelgard is the undisputed queen of that area. As you say, Dmitri is basically a normal FE lord with mental problems, which I wouldn't consider gray morality, just that the poor guy needs help.

Dmitri's fine, and I certainly wouldn't complain if he got in, but Edelgard not at all being the stereotypical Fire Emblem Lord is what made me like her so much.
Yeah I get it, Edelgard is something entirely different, for a main character that is. She's actually quite a bit similar to previous villain characters in the franchise, as Arvis, Walhart, and even a bit of Ashnard (but less insane). However, Edelgard has somewhat more of a reason, despite her approach being anything but... diplomatic.

All things taken in account, I still regard Edelgard as the main villain of the game. You even fight her in her own path after all. If we wanna talk a character that's mostly "morally grey" , I think Rhea comes closest.

Dimitri has many characteristics of fan favourite Lords as Ephraim, Chrom, Ike and Marth, but with some serious issues. It makes his character somewhat more realistic, and I see why Dimitri is becoming the fan favourite. And I guess a lot has to do with the fan base, and it liking what it likes. Can't do much about it honestly. I think it's a healthier preference than conserning about "waifus" all the time, which was mostly how the 3DS Fire Emblem days where before Echoes came.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Yeah I get it, Edelgard is something entirely different, for a main character that is. She's actually quite a bit similar to previous villain characters in the franchise, as Arvis, Walhart, and even a bit of Ashnard (but less insane). However, Edelgard has somewhat more of a reason, despite her approach being anything but... diplomatic.

All things taken in account, I still regard Edelgard as the main villain of the game. You even fight her in her own path after all. If we wanna talk a character that's mostly "morally grey" , I think Rhea comes closest.

Dimitri has many characteristics of fan favourite Lords as Ephraim, Chrom, Ike and Marth, but with some serious issues. It makes his character somewhat more realistic, and I see why Dimitri is becoming the fan favourite. And I guess a lot has to do with the fan base, and it liking what it likes. Can't do much about it honestly. I think it's a healthier preference than conserning about "waifus" all the time, which was mostly how the 3DS Fire Emblem days where before Echoes came.
Nah, Edelgard's absolutely morally gray. Her goal of progressing from a feudalistic society to a more egalitarian modern one, a la the French Revolution, is indisputably a noble one - I don't think any of us would want to live under a feudalistic system! She's also not wrong that the Church is in the grip of an immortal lizard person arguably more interested in her personal projects than the welfare of humanity. It's simply Edelgard's means which are potentially problematic. Couple that with the intense personal trauma driving her and I'd call that a textbook case of gray morality.

I'd still be extremely skeptical of calling any FE3H lord, including Edelgard, a "fan favorite". They all seem very well liked, and discussions in highly enfranchised communities like this, Reddit, or Serenes Forest in no way represent the entire playerbase.

Last edited:
Top Bottom