• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Black Eagles House Leader

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah, that's my biggest problem with Dimitri and why I can't really like him or his route: he tries too much to see everything as good or bad, to the point of completely skip over the shady things of the Church, which even Claude doesn't fully trust, and in the end makes him not resolve the biggest issue of Fodlan.
I also hated that I would have loved to see something that breaked this atrocius ideology completely, like having Duscur ally with the Empire: would he have gone and slayed every last one of them after all he said to Dedue?
Meanwhile I just see Dimitri going "EDELGARD IS MAKING PEOPLE SUFFER THE CHURCH AND CREST SYSTEM NEVER MADE ANYONE FEEL BAD!" While Sylvain, Ashe, Ingrid, Mercedes and more just stand there like "Are we jokes to you?" Quite ironic that Blue Lions has the most people screwed over by the whole ordeal

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Robespierre is a great comparison for Edelgard, to the point that historians are also divided about his action as either a tyrant or a loyal defender of freedom.

TBH the only ones who could go as far as call Edelgard a fascist are those who don't know what a fascist is and only associate that word with bad people.

Especially considering what Dimitri's uncle did to Duscur after the Tragedy....man I really hated that the game barely speaks about that, because yikes.
You spend most of the game in an organization whose head considers that course of action perfectly reasonable to any slight. Not much of a wonder it gets glossed over or not seriously condemned in any way. Of all the three powers, Faerghus is the one the church has most tightly wrapped around their finger, with or without their knowledge.

I feel Dimitri as a whole is written far too black and white for this game from what I've seen. Especially as Sylvain and Ashe suffer in Part 1 because of the church yet the church good Edelgard trampling the weak blablabla
Outside of Crimson Flower, no one has enough evidence to truly suspect the church of being malicious, only well-meaning but flawed at worst. Without that, why wouldn't you default to helping your childhood friend? Even Sylvain is still pretty torn up about it if you recruit him on that route despite his misgivings with crests.

Yeah, that's my biggest problem with Dimitri and why I can't really like him or his route: he tries too much to see everything as good or bad, to the point of completely skip over the shady things of the Church, which even Claude doesn't fully trust, and in the end makes him not resolve the biggest issue of Fodlan.
I also hated that I would have loved to see something that breaked this atrocius ideology completely, like having Duscur ally with the Empire: would he have gone and slayed every last one of them after all he said to Dedue?
You must have really identified with Felix. But really, Crimson Flower is all the shattering of that ideology the game needs, and Felix going full hog against it turns out surprisingly not good for him. The routes have to be subjectively bad or morally wrong to the beholder, not objectively.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
You spend most of the game in an organization whose head considers that course of action perfectly reasonable to any slight. Not much of a wonder it gets glossed over or not seriously condemned in any way. Of all the three powers, Faerghus is the one the church has most tightly wrapped around their finger, with or without their knowledge.

Outside of Crimson Flower, no one has enough evidence to truly suspect the church of being malicious, only well-meaning but flawed at worst. Without that, why wouldn't you default to helping your childhood friend? Even Sylvain is still pretty torn up about it if you recruit him on that route despite his misgivings with crests.

You must have really identified with Felix. But really, Crimson Flower is all the shattering of that ideology the game needs, and Felix going full hog against it turns out surprisingly not good for him. The routes have to be subjectively bad or morally wrong to the beholder, not objectively.
But my problem is that Dimitri believes that what Faerghus did to Duscur was wrong, and that's why he cares so much for that country and Dedue. But they talk about this just a couple of times, while they keep bringing up Tragedy of Duscur as just the death of the King/ Ingrid's boyfriend, which really rubbed me the wrong way.
As much as the church has its grip over Fargheus, Dimitri and Dedue's friends should have aknowledged that more, a LOT more.

Claude is suspicius before the time skip, but it's only after that that he finds the evidence of what Rhea is really up to, and comes to the conclusion that she has to be removed from her position in order to better up Fodland, just like Edelgard (albeit Claude doesn't necessarely want to destroy the whole Church or kill Rhea).

I still think that making that ideology of "there are only bad people amd good people, no in betweens or good people forced to do bad things" should have been challenged more in AM, and in fact that might be the reason why so manu BL fanboys don't wantbto play CF because they don't want to be "the bad guy", when TH makes a wonderful job at presenting each faction in a grey light, except during AM.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
But my problem is that Dimitri believes that what Faerghus did to Duscur was wrong, and that's why he cares so much for that country and Dedue. But they talk about this just a couple of times, while they keep bringing up Tragedy of Duscur as just the death of the King/ Ingrid's boyfriend, which really rubbed me the wrong way.
As much as the church has its grip over Fargheus, Dimitri and Dedue's friends should have aknowledged that more, a LOT more.

Claude is suspicius before the time skip, but it's only after that that he finds the evidence of what Rhea is really up to, and comes to the conclusion that she has to be removed from her position in order to better up Fodland, just like Edelgard (albeit Claude doesn't necessarely want to destroy the whole Church or kill Rhea).

I still think that making that ideology of "there are only bad people amd good people, no in betweens or good people forced to do bad things" should have been challenged more in AM, and in fact that might be the reason why so manu BL fanboys don't wantbto play CF because they don't want to be "the bad guy", when TH makes a wonderful job at presenting each faction in a grey light, except during AM.
Is Dimitri mad about the morality about what happened to Duscur, or just that Faerghus blamed the wrong people?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So do you think Edelgard would have an alt with
brown hair?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Is Dimitri mad about the morality about what happened to Duscur, or just that Faerghus blamed the wrong people?
What? I've never said anything about Dimitri being wrong, and just because they "blamed the wrong people" makes everything even worse. We don't even hear about the punishment that the Fargheus' generals/ whoever gave the order deserved for what they have done, while in CF they make clear that all the nobles who did wrong were at the very least arrested if not executed. It's just left there, as it was no big deal.

I just said that I wanted to see more about that aspect in the game, since it would have been a good source of conflict for Dimitri and add something more to the route with the least amount of story by itself.

If people can complain about the lack of content in CF (which I also agree) then I should be able to say what I would have liked to see added to AM, since it isn't perfect as nothing can be.

brown hair?
I hope so, especially since that isn't much of a spoiler unless they talk about why that change happened...
And even that is something that is revealed relatively soon in BE.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
brown hair?
I don't see why not. Anyone who hasn't played the game/her route will just assume that
it's simply the usual alt color changes, after all. Zelda has like 5 different possible hair colors.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I don't know if this amounts to much, but I found this on Twitter:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Glad Edelgard won. Chrom really drew the short straw going up against Lyn in round one, oof. And at least Marth lost to Edelgard, someone else I really like. Meanwhile poor Celica...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Poor Robin lost to a feral hog.

But it's really cool to see Edelgard come out on top, even if the poll doesn't mean too much in the grand scheme of things.

Troykv

Smash Master
Poor Robin lost to a feral hog.

But it's really cool to see Edelgard come out on top, even if the poll doesn't mean too much in the grand scheme of things.
Are you omegaxis? (?)

I wonder when this poll happened.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
One thing I just find really funny is that if Edelgard got in, she'd technically be the first fighter to debut in a mobile game since her Heroes banner came out before Three Houses did.

Icelerate

Smash Apprentice

Who chose the tourney entrants in the first place? Would have liked to see Micaiah on the poll.

Troykv

Smash Master
I find kind of funny that I discovered there was a long discussion in TVTropes about how to use certain Trope with Edelgard without being too biased (for either side); I'm not even sure if the results are the optimal, but hey, I guess they tried.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I find kind of funny that I discovered there was a long discussion in TVTropes about how to use certain Trope with Edelgard without being too biased (for either side); I'm not even sure if the results are the optimal, but hey, I guess they tried.
It could be worse; there was a time in which trying to criticize anything about the leads in Build Fighters Try got edited out (long story, don't ask).

In any case, I find it nice how the article itself doesn't hesitate to point out how morally grey it all is compared to prior games.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Anyone have any ideas for her classic mode's theme?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
How about…Crimson-Clad Iron Fist

Stage 1: :ultkingdedede:on :castlesiege: (Gourmet Race (Brawl))
Stage 2: :ultganondorf:on Gerudo Valley (Death Mountain)
Stage 3: :ultbowserjr::ultlarry::ultroy2::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig:on Great Cave Offensive Ω (Airship Theme (Brawl))
Stage 4: :ultswordfighter: x20 (Officer’s Academy Uniforms) on :ps2: (Tempest of Seasons)
Bonus Stage: Race to the Finish
Stage 5:
:ultkrool: on :pirateship: (Gangplank Galleon (Brawl))
Stage 6: :ultbowser::ultpalutena: on Great Plateau Tower Ω (Indomitable Will)
Boss: Rathalos w/:ultmarth: (Apex of the World)

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
How about…Crimson-Clad Iron Fist

Stage 1: :ultkingdedede:on :castlesiege: (Gourmet Race (Brawl))
Stage 2: :ultganondorf:on Gerudo Valley (Death Mountain)
Stage 3: :ultbowserjr::ultlarry::ultroy2::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig:on Great Cave Offensive Ω (Airship Theme (Brawl))
Stage 4: :ultswordfighter: x5 (Officer’s Academy Uniforms) on :ps2: (Tempest of Seasons)
Bonus Stage: Race to the Finish
Stage 5:
:ultkrool: on :pirateship: (Gangplank Galleon (Brawl))
Stage 6: :ultbowser: on Great Plateau Tower Ω (Indomitable Will)
Boss: Ganon (Apex of the World)
Pretty solid. Only thing Id change is Ganon to Rathalos for the boss fight

D

Deleted member

Have fight 6 be against Bowser and Palutena and the final fight against Rathalos.
Edelgard also gets a CPU helper in the form of Marth for her boss.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So here's something I wanted to ask. Fire Emblem Heroes always has a "Choose Your Legends" event at the start of the year, and I think it's safe to assume that next year's will have Three Houses characters as part of it.

First, I want to ask how much they'll go into it. Do you think they'll include as many characters as they can get away with, or will they only use playable/story-relevant characters? Secondly, I was wondering how they would handle the timeskip designs. 2019's CYL merged all the characters into singular versions, but it made a few exceptions. Namely, if the character underwent a new alias (Owain/Odin), had a long amount of time pass (Tiki), developed a shift in personality (Hardin) or is an entirely different character altogether (Anna). Now, I'm pretty sure these rules only apply to different games, but at least two of those of those rules would apply to most, if not all of the students at least. Do you think this will be taken into account, or will each character just use their pre-timeskip appearance?

Troykv

Smash Master
So here's something I wanted to ask. Fire Emblem Heroes always has a "Choose Your Legends" event at the start of the year, and I think it's safe to assume that next year's will have Three Houses characters as part of it.

First, I want to ask how much they'll go into it. Do you think they'll include as many characters as they can get away with, or will they only use playable/story-relevant characters? Secondly, I was wondering how they would handle the timeskip designs. 2019's CYL merged all the characters into singular versions, but it made a few exceptions. Namely, if the character underwent a new alias (Owain/Odin), had a long amount of time pass (Tiki), developed a shift in personality (Hardin) or is an entirely different character altogether (Anna). Now, I'm pretty sure these rules only apply to different games, but at least two of those of those rules would apply to most, if not all of the students at least. Do you think this will be taken into account, or will each character just use their pre-timeskip appearance?
I'm sure they will add every single character with voiced lines (the ones with unique sprites + Gatekeeper). About time skip is hard to say, but it would be redundant because there are very few cases where the change is particularly drastic.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Putting it under spoiler because it is based on CF
Edelgard's Route: Reach for my Hand
She will always have a companion that represents Byleth, which would be the darker skins for Corrin, and they will switch between female and male after each fight.

Stage 1: vs Simon on Gerudo Valley
The battle against Kostas, nothing much to add.

Stage 2: vs Blue Robin on Battlefield Dracula's Castle
This can be seen as the fight against the Western Church inside the Catacomb, where Byleth got the Sword of the Creator.

Stage 3: vs 16 Mii fighters on Garreg Mach Monastery (if it is a DLC stage, otherwise Castle Siege Phase 1)
This battle represent the take over of the Monastery that Edelgard does during chapter 12.

Bonus Stage is used here to simbolize the timeskip

Stage 4: vs Yellow Dark Pit on Delfino Plaza
This is based on the battle in Deidru against Claude, who will be helped by the Female Villager (Hilda).

Stage 5: vs Blue Incineroar on Omega Summit
This is of course Edelgard's final battle against Dimitri, and unlike the others it would be just a 1 vs 1 with no Byleth helping her.

Stage 6: vs Palutena on Reset Bomb Forest
The final battle against Rhea, she will be helped by Blue Bowser (Gilbert) and White ZSS with the Killing Edge (Chaterine)

Boss: Rhantalos or Ganon
For the final battle against The Immaculate One, I really can't decide who works best. Rhantalos is a literal dragon, but Ganon works too due to the stage his fight is.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'm sure they will add every single character with voiced lines (the ones with unique sprites + Gatekeeper). About time skip is hard to say, but it would be redundant because there are very few cases where the change is particularly drastic.
I would make a joke about how Gatekeeper is too powerful, but then I remembered there are literal gods in Heroes, so I didn't know if it would work or not. Though, I didn't take the time skip designs being redundant into account.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Honestly I feel Edelgard just feels more appropriate for Smash than Byleth, the game is literally her story and she plays a major role in every route of the game regardless of your choices, she’s also very fleshed out and her backstory is very laid out for you and she’s the catalyst that pushes the story forward, and she also uses an axe which no other character on the roster uses for their entire moveset.

I honestly like the idea of her being in Smash more than Byleth atm.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Today I managed to max out Edelgard's Hero Merit in Heroes. Woo! :p

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I feel Edelgard just feels more appropriate for Smash than Byleth, the game is literally her story and she plays a major role in every route of the game regardless of your choices, she’s also very fleshed out and her backstory is very laid out for you and she’s the catalyst that pushes the story forward, and she also uses an axe which no other character on the roster uses for their entire moveset.

I honestly like the idea of her being in Smash more than Byleth atm.
You and me both, the FE side of Smash REALLY needs some diversifying. It's just so freaking frustrating that due to Byleth being the self-insert avatar: Players will identify with them a lot more, not helping is that Edelgard is the antagonist in 3/4 routes meeting some fans seem to act like she murdered their entire family in real life or something. Then there is still me fearing that Nintento will play it safe or pull a Corrin again...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So given some of the discussion in the newcomer thread, let me get some opinions.

Do you think her Academy or War look would be the default? Which would you want to be the default? Which would you personally rather play as?

Troykv

Smash Master
So given some of the discussion in the newcomer thread, let me get some opinions.

Do you think her Academy or War look would be the default? Which would you want to be the default? Which would you personally rather play as?
What was the discussion about? I personally prefer the Academy outfit, but I could still use the War outfit, specially if includes one version with the side ponytail.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What was the discussion about? I personally prefer the Academy outfit, but I could still use the War outfit, specially if includes one version with the side ponytail.
Just an Edelgard discussion, mainly which version of her they'd use. :p

Top Bottom