• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Black Eagles House Leader

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Can I throw my hat in the ring?

1. About Byleth having no personality; yes and no. They start off that way for a reason in the story, but eventually grow into someone who cares deeply for whoever they side with later in the story.

2. Divine pulse doesn’t even have to be 5 second, it could be 3 or 2 seconds. Or it could just freeze them entirely, kinda like Witch Time but also not Witch Time.
1) I agree that Byleth isn't as stale as Steve or Cross, but still in order to show some character they need either Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude to show their affection towards them, and also the personality argument is mostly for translating their personality in taunts, victory screens and general animation, and Byleth lacks traits that would translate well into that.

2) Still 2 or 3 seconds is broken for recovery, since even if you wouldn't return on the stage, it would still stop your launch distance and put you a lot closer to the stage than it would be fair. And it might be a problem on a technical prospective since the game would have to remember and refresh constantly where Byleth was, and imagining that with 8 Byleths just sounds a nightmare for the console to run.

And if it's just a clone of Witch Time it's still a counter which really isn't unique, and if it freezes enemies in place then that's even more broken than Witch Time since you can surely follow up with a Smash attack, because at least during Witch Time you are still in control and a good dodge can help a lot.

The issue/concern I have is that since it's Nintendo who is in charge of the DLC, while Sakurai chooses from that list: They could very well have Byleth as an option (because safe choice and is the character 3H fans would identify with more) while Edelgard isn't factored at all. Granted if that IS the case, Sakurai could always refuse another sword-wielding FE character especially since apparently I read somewhere that even he is aware of the FE side issue and only added Corrin after heavy persuasion.

Considering Lucina's the only FE female, I'll only tolerate Byleth's inclusion if they make the female one the prominent one (like they should have done with Corrin seeing as nobody gives two ****s about male Corrin). But it's unlikely considering male avatars have more generic appeal amongst the mainstream crowd.
Yeah, he was persuaded by the Smash team who was convinced that Corrin would have made an interesting move set (and in hindsight they were right, Corrin's movement is extremely unique considering their dragon transformation).

And yeah, I'm also bothered by the fact that Male Corrin is still the default, especially since Female Corrin is the one in the Classic Mode Banner for some reason. I would have preferred her also in the Mural art but eh.

About the list it's still unclear if Nintendo gave a list of characters or of companies/games from which Sakurai chooses the actual character (I'm still suspicious about Joker).
But it's even entirely possible that Edelgard is on the list considering that she was heavily promoted and even has an action figure of her in the works.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The issue/concern I have is that since it's Nintendo who is in charge of the DLC, while Sakurai chooses from that list: They could very well have Byleth as an option (because safe choice and is the character 3H fans would identify with more) while Edelgard isn't factored at all. Granted if that IS the case, Sakurai could always refuse another sword-wielding FE character especially since apparently I read somewhere that even he is aware of the FE side issue and only added Corrin after heavy persuasion.

Considering Lucina's the only FE female, I'll only tolerate Byleth's inclusion if they make the female one the prominent one (like they should have done with Corrin seeing as nobody gives two ****s about male Corrin). But it's unlikely considering male avatars have more generic appeal amongst the mainstream crowd.
Remember, however, that Edelgard is getting a figma instead of Byleth. It's pretty clear Nintendo themselves are aware of her marketability. That, and while slightly less notable, she was the headlining character of her banner in Heroes over Byleth, Claude, and Dimitri, as seen with her being the face of their story mode chapter.

Icelerate

Smash Apprentice
Byleth doesn't really have a personality for reasons (and that is an argument used against Cross for the Xenonlade X rep), plus personally I feel that their Time Rewind feature would be used as a counter because the idea that some fans use of "teleporting back where you were 5 seconds ago" sounds extremely broken. If you are launched you could recover from basically anywhere, and that alone would be unfair to say the least.
Byleth is like Link in terms of personality so I'm not sure if that's a good argument. However, FE characters tend to have far more personality than Zelda characters so I'd prefer an actual lord as well.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Byleth can't stop time, or at least can't move while it's still. Otherwise he could just Dio Brando his enemies and kill them before they react.

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice

Well Nintendo was the one who pushed Edelgard as the face of three houses in the pre release marketing campaign. Revealing her trailer first in the twitter. And also they probably organize the e3 trailers, where she is clearly the most important of the characters, even more than byleth.

I just think if nintendo is choosing the fire emblem rep, they probably will be interested in edelgard and not byleth, because of the previous focal center they gave to her.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Byleth is like Link in terms of personality so I'm not sure if that's a good argument. However, FE characters tend to have far more personality than Zelda characters so I'd prefer an actual lord as well.
I'd still say that Link is a step above Byleth in terms of personality, because since OoT (and especially in SS and BotW) they made him emote and react a lot to what happens in the game. He is a brave hero that smiles with his friends and gets angry against Ganon's forces, and sometimes even scared by some imposing bosses.
Byleth on the other hand is stated in-game to be almost emotionless, barely reacting or emoting to anything, and coming up with taunts and victory animations.
Unless they all revolve about their passion for tea time...in that case bring it on.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, Byleth eats a lot, though I don't think that would be brought up in Smash...

Remember, however, that Edelgard is getting a figma instead of Byleth. It's pretty clear Nintendo themselves are aware of her marketability. That, and while slightly less notable, she was the headlining character of her banner in Heroes over Byleth, Claude, and Dimitri, as seen with her being the face of their story mode chapter.
Well Nintendo was the one who pushed Edelgard as the face of three houses in the pre release marketing campaign. Revealing her trailer first in the twitter. And also they probably organize the e3 trailers, where she is clearly the most important of the characters, even more than byleth.

I just think if nintendo is choosing the fire emblem rep, they probably will be interested in edelgard and not byleth, because of the previous focal center they gave to her.
It's possible. The only ways for Edelgard to not get in here at this stage is either someone with balls of titanium suggesting Byleth to Sakurai instead, TH being considered too recent to pick anyone from, or Edel not being reasonable enough to develop for.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just reached part 2 of Fire Emblem: Three Houses (the Black Eagles route), and I think I'd be okay with Edelgard being in Smash Bros. I'm not sure if her role in the story stays consistent throughout all three (four?) storylines, or if
someone else is the Flame Emperor in the other routes
, and I don't know if I'll post here again until I've beaten the game (or at least the storyline that I'm currently on) since I don't want to be spoiled, but I wanted to show my support.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I just reached part 2 of Fire Emblem: Three Houses (the Black Eagles route), and I think I'd be okay with Edelgard being in Smash Bros. I'm not sure if her role in the story stays consistent throughout all three (four?) storylines, or if
, and I don't know if I'll post here again until I've beaten the game (or at least the storyline that I'm currently on) since I don't want to be spoiled, but I wanted to show my support.
Now that would've been really interesting. I wonder how else the story could've gone if Dimitri or Claude turned out to be the Flame Emperor in their routes. . . but no, Edelgard is the Flame Emperor regardless of route.

Troykv

Smash Master
The fact that

Edelgard it's the Flame Emperor and the Emperor of the Empire it's the main reason why her route it's so different compared with the other ones, supporting the opposite of the "normal" side gives you a very different perspective, and even many things change compared how it happen in the other routes because of Byleth's influence it makes CF a quite interesting experience, flawed as all of them are, but the most unique without a doubt.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

There's no way Nintendo makes a list that is so extensive as to include both Joker and Banjo Kazooie and doesn't suggest at least a couple of FE options. That said, the whole "Sakurai chose from a list" thing is 100% made up by the fans. Literally no official source has ever said anything remotely similar to this.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This is the strongest point for Edelgard as of yet. I can see them choosing both or either now honestly.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I just thought of a word play that I had to share here.

Edelgardevoir.
The image now in my head
Edlegard X Gardevoir= Edlegardevoir
Empress Edelgard x Gardevoir = Mega Eldelgardevoir

Calamitas

Smash Champion
The image now in my head
Edlegard X Gardevoir= Edlegardevoir
Empress Edelgard x Gardevoir = Mega Eldelgardevoir
You know, I'm not trying to be needlessly mean about this, but I'm low-key amazed that you managed to spell the "Edel" part of her name three different ways in the four times you've used it there.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There's no way Nintendo makes a list that is so extensive as to include both Joker and Banjo Kazooie and doesn't suggest at least a couple of FE options. That said, the whole "Sakurai chose from a list" thing is 100% made up by the fans. Literally no official source has ever said anything remotely similar to this.
This.

Seriously, the fans' habit of using Death of the Author logic irritates me at times. No offense intended to any of you guys, but I've had quite enough to put up with this year, just from "The Fighter Pass is the end of DLC" alone.

This is the strongest point for Edelgard as of yet. I can see them choosing both or either now honestly.
Both does seem plausible, yes. Especially if Sak's going for broke (even more than usual, seeing how he treats every Smash game as his last one, because video game sequelization criticism). They could even get a dual reveal trailer like :ultrobin: and :ultlucina:, although I don't know if they'd show anyone getting Zonked this time. Probably Dimitri, given his luck.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You know, I'm not trying to be needlessly mean about this, but I'm low-key amazed that you managed to spell the "Edel" part of her name three different ways in the four times you've used it there.
That's what happens when my head is full of dumb ideas.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
This.

Seriously, the fans' habit of using Death of the Author logic irritates me at times. No offense intended to any of you guys, but I've had quite enough to put up with this year, just from "The Fighter Pass is the end of DLC" alone.

Both does seem plausible, yes. Especially if Sak's going for broke (even more than usual, seeing how he treats every Smash game as his last one, because video game sequelization criticism). They could even get a dual reveal trailer like :ultrobin: and :ultlucina:, although I don't know if they'd show anyone getting Zonked this time. Probably Dimitri, given his luck.
Oh my, yes please, both Byleth and Edelgard would be my perfect scenario (alongside Claude but he has no chance so he remains my pipe dream).

Speaking of this, how would you feel if Edelgard is added as an Echo of someone? TBH I wouldn't really mind as long as I get to play as her, but I don't really know who would work as a base for her.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh my, yes please, both Byleth and Edelgard would be my perfect scenario (alongside Claude but he has no chance so he remains my pipe dream).

Speaking of this, how would you feel if Edelgard is added as an Echo of someone? TBH I wouldn't really mind as long as I get to play as her, but I don't really know who would work as a base for her.
I mean my question would be who. None of the existing cast, Fire Emblem or otherwise, really play anything like her, or have anywhere close to her same proportions.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I mean my question would be who. None of the existing cast, Fire Emblem or otherwise, really play anything like her, or have anywhere close to her same proportions.
People who want to claim she has no moveset potential say she could be an Ike echo. It's stupid, but I guess it's probably the closest fit.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
People who want to claim she has no moveset potential say she could be an Ike echo. It's stupid, but I guess it's probably the closest fit.
Even then, too, Sakurai said the reason Isabelle couldn't be an echo was due to the proportions. I'm not prepared for Edelgard to gain a foot of height. :p

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Even then, too, Sakurai said the reason Isabelle couldn't be an echo was due to the proportions. I'm not prepared for Edelgard to gain a foot of height. :p
Yeah, that would look awful. Especially since even PoR Ike looks really janky next to marth or chrom with that size, Edelgard would be even worse. I don't understand some people's definition of "echoes".

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...uses_dlc_reportedly_detailed_ahead_of_release

You probably know, but the new details on waves 3 and 4 of DLC have translated. Key points of interest:

>addition of Anna as playable (the very same?)
>sauna activity (you know, just in case anyone's curious about post-time skip body builds…)
>playing with dogs and cats (yo)
>butler and maid costumes
>butler and maid battalions (okay, now that's funny)
>new costumes for Byleth and Sothis

Seeing how FE only had sword-wielders in Smash up to now and Edel is seen on promos with an axe, I have a hard time seeing how that would work. Even if an axe can get swung like a sword.

Sak had to apologize for :ultkrool:'s scale adjustment. If he did that for a FE character like her, he'd practically have to genuflect towards the FE fanbase. :p

Yeah, that would look awful. Especially since even PoR Ike looks really janky next to marth or chrom with that size, Edelgard would be even worse. I don't understand some people's definition of "echoes".
Seriously. Especially when some characters are seen as only getting in as them, despite the lack of evidence of that being the case in the future.

There's having low expectations, and then there's having trouble scraping your expectations off the floor, they're so dry.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...uses_dlc_reportedly_detailed_ahead_of_release

You probably know, but the new details on waves 3 and 4 of DLC have translated. Key points of interest:

>addition of Anna as playable (the very same?)
>sauna activity (you know, just in case anyone's curious about post-time skip body builds…)
>playing with dogs and cats (yo)
>butler and maid costumes
>butler and maid battalions (okay, now that's funny)
>new costumes for Byleth and Sothis

Seeing how FE only had sword-wielders in Smash up to now and Edel is seen on promos with an axe, I have a hard time seeing how that would work. Even if an axe can get swung like a sword.

Sak had to apologize for :ultkrool:'s scale adjustment. If he did that for a FE character like her, he'd practically have to genuflect towards the FE fanbase. :p

Seriously. Especially when some characters are seen as only getting in as them, despite the lack of evidence of that being the case in the future.

There's having low expectations, and then there's having trouble scraping your expectations off the floor, they're so dry.
How do you guys think they are going to handle Jeritza being playable? I know that he can only be recruited "in certain routes", but I was wondering HOW you would recruit him. I'm probably looking too deeply into this, though.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
How do you guys think they are going to handle Jeritza being playable? I know that he can only be recruited "in certain routes", but I was wondering HOW you would recruit him. I'm probably looking too deeply into this, though.
If I had to guess he'll probably only be in Crimson Flower since that is apparently the only one where he doesn't die.

I always thought it was weird that he just goes missing in this route so maybe this DLC will fix that.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Or go the pokemon trainer route and add every last one of them.
I'm honestly baffled people are seriously suggesting this. They're forcing a gimmick that doesn't exist in Three Houses. All for what? So none of the Lords have favoritism. Yeah, the Smash team sure took that into account when deciding Greninja and Incineroar. At the end of the day, the team would still be developing three (or four) fighters, so why go about like this when you can just pick one and let that one shine on their own.

If these people really want a FE version of Pokemon Trainer, they're picking the wrong characters to go about it. They should be rallying behind the Summoner from Fire Emblem Heroes.
Summoner_FEH_Sprite.PNG.png

Go vanilla and pick Alfonse, Sharena, and Anna or take a fun route and pick FE characters whose popularity have endured the test of time. I've see people throw around Hector and Ephraim's names when discussing which axe or lance FE rep they'd like in Smash. Make it themed around the weapon triangle, or the four color types in FEH. It makes way more sense to do the Pokemon Trainer gimmick with Kiran than with Byleth and friends.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Wait, is this confirmed to be a thing? I want to make sure before I get too hyped.

Troykv

Smash Master
Wait, is this confirmed to be a thing? I want to make sure before I get too hyped.
It's part of the same stuff commented in the Japanese Book (the DLC); it must be legit.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I'll do you one better:

Teatime with Death Knight.
Or better still:
Lysithea getting a support line with the guy, which consists of her bullying the man like she was meant to do.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Or better still:
Lysithea getting a support line with the guy, which consists of her bullying the man like she was meant to do.
Actually

Could we get a support with Jertiza and Manuela? In Crimson Flower she mentions that she confronted the Death Knight about stabbing her and got a surprisingly sincere apology from him. I'd like to see that.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Actually

Could we get a support with Jertiza and Manuela? In Crimson Flower she mentions that she confronted the Death Knight about stabbing her and got a surprisingly sincere apology from him. I'd like to see that.
It was hilarious how badly she wanted vengeance only for her to be completely taken aback that he led with an apology. She went from seething mad to anticlimactically confused.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Actually

That would unironically be pretty cool, actually. I just hope
"some routes" actually includes the Crimson Flower for Jeritza. This off-hand mention that he's always fighting somewhere else just feels really weak to me.
. . .But just imagine if him and Manuela even got a paired ending. . . that'd be hilarious.
"Oh, it all started when he penetrated me-"

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Is it selfish of me to hope Jeritza is CF-exclusive. I mean Azure Moon already has the most recruits and is the most "complete" out of the routes, the least they can do (seeing as they're no plans to polish up CF) is give them this. Would also give the Dimitri/BL stans a reason to even care aboout CF since some of them won't even touch that route with ten foot pole because "I don't want to fight muh pwcious baby Dimitri uwu!'

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Is it selfish of me to hope Jeritza is CF-exclusive. I mean Azure Moon already has the most recruits and is the most "complete" out of the routes, the least they can do (seeing as they're no plans to polish up CF) is give them this. Would also give the Dimitri/BL stans a reason to even care aboout CF since some of them won't even touch that route with ten foot pole because "I don't want to fight muh pwcious baby Dimitri uwu!'
I don't think it's selfish, really. It wouldn't make any sense story-wise for Jeritza to join any other route, and Azure Moon already had a unique recruit with Gilbert.

Now if only Verdant Wind got Judith, then all three would be even. :p

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Okay, we get it, you hate Dimitri. Do you have to complain about it so much? It's getting really old.

Top Bottom