• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Black Eagles House Leader

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Das ist kein Deutsch, das ist Niederländisch. Es gibt einen Unterschied.
That's not German, that's Dutch. There's a difference.
My bad.

Funny thing though, the confusion goes back a long way which is why Deutschland is Germany but the language of Holland is Dutch.
English really is appalling as a language.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My bad.

Funny thing though, the confusion goes back a long way which is why Deutschland is Germany but the language of Holland is Dutch.
English really is appalling as a langue.
Le Français est mêlant des fois, mais c'est bien, j'ai de la chance d'avoir çà comme première langue. Le Canadien Français est beaucoup moins raffiné, par contre.

It feels good to live with a second language, sometimes.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
At the very least, Edelgard would be a lot more interesting from a personality standpoint.
Not would, IS. At least she's her own character with her own personality and story, unlike Byleth who for all intents and purposes is still just a blank slate for players to project into. She'd also be interesting playstyle-wise as Byleth is pretty much another blue-haired (or blueish) sword-fighter at their core unique mechanic concepts be damned.

Sadly it seems like avatar characters in video games are all the buzz these days considering their functions as wish fulfillment platforms for their playerbase.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Speaking of different parts of Europe, it's intresting how the different houses are based on different European nations but aren't blatant copies.

Difference between inspiration and imitation.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Speaking of different parts of Europe, it's intresting how the different houses are based on different European nations but aren't blatant copies.

Difference between inspiration and imitation.
That's actually very cool, but I'm still trying to recognize who the Alliance is inspired by. Ardestria is the Roman/Byzantine Empire, Fargheus is most likely Charlemagne's Holy Roman Empire, but for the Alliance I'm still struggling. I know that Claude wears some Turkish accessories, but I don't think the whole Leincester Alliance is based on Turkey.

But besides, that is something that I really hope more fantasy games will do more often. Europe has millennium of rich history with many different conflicts and interesting figures who are perfect inspiration material for any fantasy setting, so it really baffles me how 90% of the story in fantasy games is "A king/wizard has gone mad, stop them" or "Evil religion with pale dark priests wants to take over the world".

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
That's actually very cool, but I'm still trying to recognize who the Alliance is inspired by. Ardestria is the Roman/Byzantine Empire, Fargheus is most likely Charlemagne's Holy Roman Empire, but for the Alliance I'm still struggling. I know that Claude wears some Turkish accessories, but I don't think the whole Leincester Alliance is based on Turkey.

But besides, that is something that I really hope more fantasy games will do more often. Europe has millennium of rich history with many different conflicts and interesting figures who are perfect inspiration material for any fantasy setting, so it really baffles me how 90% of the story in fantasy games is "A king/wizard has gone mad, stop them" or "Evil religion with pale dark priests wants to take over the world".
I think it's a mix of Germany's feudal states phase and England's penchant for archery and merchantry.
And yeah, the Game of Thrones was much better when it was about medival power struggles rather than Darth Maul's cousin invading.

D

Deleted member

Leicester is very inspired by Italy, considering some of the surnames and Derdriu pretty much being Venice.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think it's a mix of Germany's feudal states phase and England's penchant for archery and merchantry.
And yeah, the Game of Thrones was much better when it was about medival power struggles rather than Darth Maul's cousin invading.
Persistent TV producers and tardy fantasy novel writers are not a good mix, to say the least.

I'd like to see an RPG being inspired by the Mongol empire, that'd be neat, especially seeing as Three Kingdoms gets more attention than Genghis Khan a lot of the time.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Leicester is very inspired by Italy, considering some of the surnames and Derdriu pretty much being Venice.
OMG as an Italian I feel very ashamed about not recognizing Deirdru as Venice, because everything else falls perfectly into place as being inspired by Italy's "fractured" nature of the Middle Ages and all its powerful families like the Sforza, the Gonzaga, the Medici and so on.

Persistent TV producers and tardy fantasy novel writers are not a good mix, to say the least.

I'd like to see an RPG being inspired by the Mongol empire, that'd be neat, especially seeing as Three Kingdoms gets more attention than Genghis Khan a lot of the time.
That would be really neat TBH. I know a little about the Mongol Empire since I had to study Marco Polo's "Il Milione", and even that little bit was very interesting to say the least.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly the new outfits are hilarious. The group shots where all the students are huddled around Byleth makes it look like they called for a time out during the big championship game or something. :p

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Honestly the new outfits are hilarious. The group shots where all the students are huddled around Byleth makes it look like they called for a time out during the big championship game or something. :p
What's funnier to me is how the fans went from hating female Byleth's design, clamouring for those new outfits so they wouldn't have to look at it, to embracing it and portraying her as the hottest woman in Fodlan.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Volwassen, met kanker schelden. Het is even goed een voorkeur, bovendien heb ik mn eigen mening niet gegeven over Byleth. Mensen klagen ook over 3 Links, 3 Marios en 3 Fox gastjes
Luister, kanker is sowieso een tumor. Ik scheld er niet mee. Je bent gewoon al sinds ik kan herinneren altijd lopen zoeken naar kritiek op elke post van mij, om elke reden die je kan bedenken. Dat vind ik nou zwaar kinderachtig, ben allergisch voor zulke mensen. Blokkeer me liever als elke post die ik maak in dezelfde topic jou zo'n stress oplevert met dat gezeik van je de hele tijd.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Luister, kanker is sowieso een tumor. Ik scheld er niet mee. Je bent gewoon al sinds ik kan herinneren altijd lopen zoeken naar kritiek op elke post van mij, om elke reden die je kan bedenken. Dat vind ik nou zwaar kinderachtig, ben allergisch voor zulke mensen. Blokkeer me liever als elke post die ik maak in dezelfde topic jou zo'n stress oplevert met dat gezeik van je de hele tijd.
Je doet alsof ik het expres doe omdat jij het ben. Sorry als het echt zo overkwam maar dat is totaal niet het geval

D

Deleted member

Je doet alsof ik het expres doe omdat jij het ben. Sorry als het echt zo overkwam maar dat is totaal niet het geval
IMG_20190531_144319.jpg

please i beg you to speak english

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So here's a question.

Okay. So everyone pretty much unanimously agrees that if Edelgard gets in, she'll come with a Garreg Mach stage. Assuming Garreg Mach is off-limits, what would you want her stage to be?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So here's a question.

Okay. So everyone pretty much unanimously agrees that if Edelgard gets in, she'll come with a Garreg Mach stage. Assuming Garreg Mach is off-limits, what would you want her stage to be?
I could see the Holy Tomb being used. After all, it is also a rather prominent place, and one that you can visit in New Game+ from the amiibo Gazebo.
Though I still don't get what's up with the opposite-gender Byleth appearing there once Sothis fuses with Byleth

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I could see the Holy Tomb being used. After all, it is also a rather prominent place, and one that you can visit in New Game+ from the amiibo Gazebo.
Though I still don't get what's up with the opposite-gender Byleth appearing there once Sothis fuses with Byleth
For real, lol. I was completely taken aback when I saw that.

"Oh god I just wanted stat boosters why is an alternate version of me here," Byleth, 1180.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
For real, lol. I was completely taken aback when I saw that.

"Oh god I just wanted stat boosters why is an alternate version of me here," Byleth, 1180.
After Sothis constantly talked about how "the time of awakening is drawing closer" (or something along those lines) I was honestly expecting something some kind of event to take place there. But that other Byleth just standing there, saying nothing. . . I find that probably more unsettling than anything else in the entire game, lol.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
So, according to PushDustin's latest column translation, the focus of DLC going onward is actually "let's see how many more characters we can get in here and make this game as great as possible". Nintendo is still selecting the DLC, while Sakurai has to see if he can make a chosen character work.

https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1171803208764686336
https://twitter.com/nokoloc/status/1171815442614247424

Just pointing this out to try and curb panic.

So basically as long as it keeps selling, he's going to keep making more. That's fantastic news!

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
So basically as long as it keeps selling, he's going to keep making more. That's fantastic news!
All right Sakurai, I will buy every single DLC, even the Mii Fighter costumes, until you add all my most wanted.

It's not like I was going to do it anyway...

D

Deleted member

So here's a question.

Tailtean Plains for the dramatic stage or the Red Canyon for a non-walk off stage
Today I learned
a city burning to the ground
is Gwen's aesthetic. :p
Took you long enough tbh

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So here's a question.

Adrestian throne room so Edelgard can flex like the queen that she is.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Adrestian throne room so Edelgard can flex like the queen that she is.
Imagine if in the background, there's an assassin lurking around, only for Hubert to appear out of nowhere and blast them with Death. :p

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So here's a question.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Field of the Eagle and Lion yet. It's an important location on all of the routes aside from Crimson Flower, but even then you still fight there before the timeskip for all of the routes. Plus it'd be a perfect way to fit in some background cameos from other students.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I can't believe no one has mentioned Field of the Eagle and Lion yet. It's an important location on all of the routes aside from Crimson Flower, but even then you still fight there before the timeskip for all of the routes. Plus it'd be a perfect way to fit in some background cameos from other students.
I wonder if the ballista in the center would have any effect on the stage itself. :p

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if the ballista in the center would have any effect on the stage itself. :p
Now THAT would be a cool concept to implement. As the stage cycles, a ballista would show up allowing any fighter to say play like Snake's old Final Smash in attacking others for a certain amount of time.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Gronder Field. That was actually my first thought and I think would be more fitting for Edelgard than Garreg Mach, which would suit a Byleth inclusion better.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Just finished my first playthrough of three Houses on the Church route (would have wanted to check out Edlegard's first TBH but didn't meet some requirements to go that route I guess?)

I was always somewhat open-minded to Edelgard even before Three Houses released. Playing through the game just made me like the idea more. So you could consider me a supporter for your list.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Just finished my first playthrough of three Houses on the Church route (would have wanted to check out Edlegard's first TBH but didn't meet some requirements to go that route I guess?)
You need to have reached a C+ Support with her by Chapter 11, and then while exploring, need to talk to her to witness her coronation. You only get the option to side with her if you do that.
Which, I might add, is all in all just extremely stupid, and (in my eyes) emblematic of how badly the game treats her in general.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You need to have reached a C+ Support with her by Chapter 11, and then while exploring, need to talk to her to witness her coronation. You only get the option to side with her if you do that.
Which, I might add, is all in all just extremely stupid, and (in my eyes) emblematic of how badly the game treats her in general.
Not only that but the coronation is 1 specific week too so you need to know the ingame date ahead of time

Top Bottom