• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Black Eagles House Leader

Troykv

Smash Master
Yeah, base game, also a bit of the Fighter Pass.

Incineroar did debut in 2016 though, as well as Joker (in Japan).
Oh yeah, you're right about that; but I remember Incineroar started it's developed after Ultra Sun/Moon was annouced I believe? Sakurai mentions the game when talking about Incineroar's development.

I wonder if Byleth will get Chrom'd in Edel's trailer. :p
Well, there it's precedent for getting "Chrom'd" trailers with the Kyo fakeout xD.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Yeah if the first DLC fighter after the Fighter Pass is a third party, you can be sure to see some members of the Smash Fandom dictate the second wave of DLC is still all third party. I'm already seeing some interpret the "new worlds" translation as meaning still all third party. Fódlan's a new world, and so is Alrest.
Man I hate when the fandom decides by itself ehat is worth or not to be discussed. Thank Sakurai Terry came and slapped in the face all the people expecting only the biggest names in the world.
Also I'm more a fan of Elma, but I would love a XC2 rep too, so Fodland, Mira and Alrest as new worlds for Smash!

So, another thing to take into consideration...

In regards to characters that are "too recent", I would say that circa 2017-2018 was the cutting point for characters that could get in. Anything before and beyond that would be fair game, I think, although I might be wrong on this.
I feel that Challenger 5 will be another legacy character, like Ryu Hayabusa. TBH all the characters in the pass except Joker are from old classics (arguably Hero but he represents DQ as a whole rather than just XI).

I'm thinking you're half right. I see another Direct happening in November with a situation similar to this direct where fighter #5 is announced and Terry's presentation and release is after the direct. Then I think the first extra character will be revealed at the game awards, and I think it will be Geno. So kind of third party. If I had to guess, Edelgard or Rex would be after that.

Regardless I do see Edelgard as a front-runner for sure.
TBH I don't see a Direct happen until January/February, mostly because there is no need for it. We have most games for the remain of 2019 with dates, including TMS #FE for January, so I think they will announce Challenger 5 and maybe one or two games at the VGA, then the next fighter will be announced during Challenger 5 presentation/January Direct.

But still I agree that a 3H rep/Edelgard is among the frontrunners on the first party side.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Most recent character is the Luminary from DQ11 though he shares the spotlight with 3 other older heroes.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Besides, every time the fanbase thinks they got a pattern figured out, POW! something comes along and breaks it.

Hell, 98% of it was convinced we wouldn't get any more characters. For the second time in a row.

That being said, yeah, next fighter should be showing up on the VGAs. November's reserved for the Terry showcase anyways.

Oh yeah, you're right about that; but I remember Incineroar started it's developed after Ultra Sun/Moon was annouced I believe? Sakurai mentions the game when talking about Incineroar's development.
That's purely incidental. I mean, :ultgreninja: was conceptually in the wound when he got picked by Sakurai, so...

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If you look at the official art for her timeskip look, she actually has some pretty well-toned forearms, for what it's worth. That definitely helps.
For her size maybe? But you’ll need more than forearms to swing a huge axe around. Shoulders, back muscles, upper arms (mainly triceps) are the main muscle groups needed I’d imagine. Hector was able to pull it off way more convincingly, let me just keep it at that.

The Crests are probably the whole reason why.

Also her Emperor class design is luckily way less awkward than the Armored Lord. So I’m down with that one being her base. However!! I still dislike her post time skip hair design... Just WHAT is that? I change it up all the time to the other one, only available if you completed another file before hands tho. It’s also not a great hair style compared to her student look however...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The main thing I keep coming to when wondering about her moveset is do you go for her default Iron Axe with it's longer reach or her Legendary Weapon to no look bad in front of all the other Lords.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The main thing I keep coming to when wondering about her moveset is do you go for her default Iron Axe with it's longer reach or her Legendary Weapon to no look bad in front of all the other Lords.
I vote we go for for Aymr, so she can use her signature combat art Raging Storm, and we'll just discreetly ignore it's low durability like we do with Roy's Binding Blade.

Although isn't the axe she's seen with in most art a Steel Axe instead?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I vote we go for for Aymr, so she can use her signature combat art Raging Storm, and we'll just discreetly ignore it's low durability like we do with Roy's Binding Blade.

Although isn't the axe she's seen with in most art a Steel Axe instead?
Killer Axe is actually what she's usually seen with in pre-timeskip art.

But yeah, I say just give her Aymr regardless of which version they use.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
If Edelgard does get in and they do use Three Houses' animation for animated cutscenes: Which non-FE character would you like to see animated in that fashion? I remember it was freaking cool seeing Captain Falcon rendered Awakening-style.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If Edelgard does get in and they do use Three Houses' animation for animated cutscenes: Which non-FE character would you like to see animated in that fashion? I remember it was freaking cool seeing Captain Falcon rendered Awakening-style.
Simon could be pretty interesting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ganondorf in that style would be nice, I think. Would make sense, if Byleth takes a hit for her to not get defeated by him, in a Chrom'ed sequence.

Edit: If this Reddit poll based on replies to comments is any indication, there's a discrepancy of taste between Westerners and Japan for the FE pick, at least in some circles.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Ganondorf in that style would be nice, I think. Would make sense, if Byleth takes a hit for her to not get defeated by him, in a Chrom'ed sequence.

Edit: If this Reddit poll based on replies to comments is any indication, there's a discrepancy of taste between Westerners and Japan for the FE pick, at least in some circles.

Take this data with a grain of salt, the results are very limited in scope.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman

Interesting. Sad that Sora is everyone's #1 want. I shudder at the thought of Disney running its hands in Smash.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Interesting. Sad that Sora is everyone's #1 want. I shudder at the thought of Disney running its hands in Smash.
These days when it comes to games, after their own efforts flopped hard multiple times, Disney is a fire and forget company.

They only step in if there's problem. Like when EA's Microstransactions caused terrible publicity. (note that they signed off on it happening in the first place.)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Take this data with a grain of salt, the results are very limited in scope.
I know of that. Besides, these won't affect the forthcoming batch of characters.

Byleth would be an original character however, Chrom not so much as we’ve seen. I still expect Byleth before Edelgard honestly.
We just don't know. Hell, IS could have asked Sakurai to put in both at the same time, just to be on the safe side.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I just figured why Edlegard would be the perfect Axe user.

Smash is full of swords and her game says nuts to the weapons triangle.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, it's best to disregard that data for now, especially since there were western fans commenting on the Japanese Twitter posts, even further skewing the results.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I have a bit of speculation I wanna share:

When TH came out, I was expecting Spirits and Mii Costumes at best, since it wasn't confirmed at the time that DLC would go beyond the Fighter's Pass. However, what we got instead was a Spirit event for Mother's 30th anniversary; no TH-related content anywhere.

This leads me to believe that a TH character is going to be part of the post-pass DLC. Who do you think is more likely? Byleth, Edelgard or neither?

Personally, I'm placing my bets on Byleth, since he's not only the most unique avatar in the series, but also a general candidate for a unique FE rep, what with Brawling, Faith magic, the Crest of Flames, Battalions, and the Sword of the goddamn CREATOR!

(Please forgive my fanboying bias towards Byleth)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

When TH came out, I was expecting Spirits and Mii Costumes at best, since it wasn't confirmed at the time that DLC would go beyond the Fighter's Pass. However, what we got instead was a Spirit event for Mother's 30th anniversary; no TH-related content anywhere.

This leads me to believe that a TH character is going to be part of the post-pass DLC. Who do you think is more likely? Byleth, Edelgard or neither?

Personally, I'm placing my bets on Byleth, since he's not only the most unique avatar in the series, but also a general candidate for a unique FE rep, what with Brawling, Faith magic, the Crest of Flames, Battalions, and the Sword of the goddamn CREATOR!

This is kind of besides your point, but I really don't think Sakurai would give Byleth Brawling despite it being a proficiency. I can't see him adding a whipsword user and not fully utilizing the extended range.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This is kind of besides your point, but I really don't think Sakurai would give Byleth Brawling despite it being a proficiency. I can't see him adding a whipsword user and not fully utilizing the extended range.
I do! Because it’s a great way of differentiating Byleth from the Belmonts. And brawling could be kept for simpler moves as jabs, tilts, and aerials for example with the Sword of the Creator is kept for Specials and Smash attacks. A character that can mix up styles is highly encouraged now I feel. We have a lot of characters that are overly specialized in one area already. And Byleth is also a very versatile unit in Three Houses.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

I too feel like a 3H rep is quite likely, and while Byleth is the most likely, I would prefer Edelgard.
If I had to value them with the RTC format then for me:
Byleth
-Chance: 60%
-Want: 75%

Edelgard
-Chance: 40%
-Want: 100%

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

(We've got a Byleth support thread if you're looking for it. https://smashboards.com/threads/byleth-support-thread.480820 )
It's a good point that the game got no Smash promotion when a lot of other games have. And it's not like there's a lack of marketign budget like, say Astral Chain. It got a Tetris 99 theme for heck's sake.

All idle speculation but still an interesting point you bring up.

D

Deleted member

Brawling is just a boring thing to make your medieval fantasy character use instead of their cool magical arsenal. Brawling is cool in FE3H because it's an unusual weapon type but in Smash most of the fighters punch stuff.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yo speaking of Three Houses, what are your guys favorite routes and characters? And what do you expect out of DLC?

I personally think Claude is the best, or at least most likable Lord, I liked Dimitri most first and Edelgard least but they are now even with me. Characters I can’t do my run without now however are Felix, Sylvain, Raphael, Lysithea, Dorothea, Leonie and Shamir. I also like Dedue a great deal, such a tragic character.

For DLC am kind of hoping for a total new route. Or one where they explore on the background more of Dimitri and Edelgard, and fighting those who slither in the dark. Overall, I think I enjoyed the Golden Deer route the most. It feels like the best closure of the game even tho some deaths are ... unfortunate.

Brawling is just a boring thing to make your medieval fantasy character use instead of their cool magical arsenal. Brawling is cool in FE3H because it's an unusual weapon type but in Smash most of the fighters punch stuff.

Boring as it might seem to you, it allows for very effective mix up play styles. Ever notice how the Belmonts seem hopeless if they can’t effectively zone? Byleth wouldn’t have this weakness with a few effective brawling moves. If they used gauntlets they can even be slightly disjointed.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The routes all seem to cover the main factions. Only new ones I could see are the "make own fate" route where instead of joining up with your chosen house after the skip you rally your former students to seize the monastery and make your own path. (blackjack and oldest profession practitioners optional) and the "illogical evil" route and join with Slytherin like you're playing an late 00's/ early 10's moral choice game.

D

Deleted member

Yo speaking of Three Houses, what are your guys favorite routes and characters? And what do you expect out of DLC?

I personally think Claude is the best, or at least most likable Lord, I liked Dimitri most first and Edelgard least but they are now even with me. Characters I can’t do my run without now however are Felix, Sylvain, Raphael, Lysithea, Dorothea, Leonie and Shamir. I also like Dedue a great deal, such a tragic character.

For DLC am kind of hoping for a total new route. Or one where they explore on the background more of Dimitri and Edelgard, and fighting those who slither in the dark. Overall, I think I enjoyed the Golden Deer route the most. It feels like the best closure of the game even tho some deaths are ... unfortunate.

Boring as it might seem to you, it allows for very effective mix up play styles. Ever notice how the Belmonts seem hopeless if they can’t effectively zone? Byleth wouldn’t have this weakness with a few effective brawling moves. If they used gauntlets they can even be slightly disjointed.
That's still boring. Having more options doesn't make a character more fun. Belmonts would be infinitely more boring if they had simple punches for Side Tilt and Jab regardless of how much better they'd be.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Yeah but this weakness is literally what defines there character. It also protects them from getting nerfed to the ground. The thing that would happen to Byleth is he has Belmonts range but none of their weaknesses.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
The reason I dont want Byleth despite the stuff they can offer is because they're yet another damn avatar character. Would set a sucky precedent that avatar characters get in over you know...actual characters.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I'll probably give up on Smash if we get another sword-wielding male-default Fire Emblem avatar.
I'd probably give up on FE reps period if the avatar (especially if male-defaulted) always gets first prio, because they play so alike. Differences be damned.

Now I see why Corrin is such a divisive inclusion, outside of Fates' reception.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The reason I dont want Byleth despite the stuff they can offer is because they're yet another damn avatar character. Would set a sucky precedent that avatar characters get in over you know...actual characters.
Where you complaining about Incineroar because it's yet another damn starter Pokémon? Where you upset about the Pokémon Trainer's return because of the same reasons?

You write off Byleth far too easily without looking what they can bring.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Where you complaining about Incineroar because it's yet another damn starter Pokémon? Where you upset about the Pokémon Trainer's return because of the same reasons?

You write off Byleth far too easily without looking what they can bring.
It's a criticism people had for Fire Emblem for a while though. They even say "despite the stuff they can offer", heavily suggesting they did indeed look at what they can bring

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's a criticism people had for Fire Emblem for a while though. They even say "despite the stuff they can offer", heavily suggesting they did indeed look at what they can bring
Well, Corrin and Robin play nothing alike. So I wouldn't even know what to complain about here.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well, Corrin and Robin play nothing alike. So I wouldn't even know what to complain about here.
Gast je WEET wat er hier bij bedoelt wordt. De klacht is dat het alleen de avatar karakter kan zijn, een aangezien Fire Emblem een belachelijk aantal karakters heeft, iemand anders dan de Avatar kan gewaardeerd worden. Die persoon zegt ook dat het alleen diens voorkeur is

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Gast je WEET wat er hier bij bedoelt wordt. De klacht is dat het alleen de avatar karakter kan zijn, een aangezien Fire Emblem een belachelijk aantal karakters heeft, iemand anders dan de Avatar kan gewaardeerd worden. Die persoon zegt ook dat het alleen diens voorkeur is
Je klaagt. Alle 3 avatars zouden meer uniek zijn dan 3 Links, 3 Marios, of de 3 Star Fox personages. Dan nog hebben we iets van 6 starter Pokémon in Smash. Deze drang om alles maar in een hokje te plaatsen is een kanker tumor voor discussie hier.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Je klaagt. Alle 3 avatars zouden meer uniek zijn dan 3 Links, 3 Marios, of de 3 Star Fox personages. Dan nog hebben we iets van 6 starter Pokémon in Smash. Deze drang om alles maar in een hokje te plaatsen is een kanker tumor voor discussie hier.
Volwassen, met kanker schelden. Het is even goed een voorkeur, bovendien heb ik mn eigen mening niet gegeven over Byleth. Mensen klagen ook over 3 Links, 3 Marios en 3 Fox gastjes

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Err...
Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jaeger!..?

Did I change the language setting by accident?

Top Bottom