• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Black Eagles House Leader

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm feeling it inside me... this realization... maybe it conflicts with my biggest desire in my life... but I actually want to play with Edelgard in Smash Ultimate.

I actually want her.
How about this as a sign: Marianne refers to Edelgard as being radiant (emphasis) and strong at the beginning of Crimson Flower, plus her theme in most routes is Edge Of Dawn...

Troykv

Smash Master
How about this as a sign: Marianne refers to Edelgard as being radiant (emphasis) and strong at the beginning of Crimson Flower, plus her theme in most routes is Edge Of Dawn...
This makes me remember the several times that people have talk about how Edelgard's design (her appearance and personality) are based on Micaiah's and Arvis's.

Those ribbons aren't a coincidence I swear.

I hope the signs give me life.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well now that there's more characters to go around maybe we'll get a Switch character.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Symbolism time!

Back in that color discussion I noted the hearts on Edelgard's Armoured Lord getup and how they could symbolize love in combination with her red. However...

The heart is a deeply important characteristic that touches both Byleth and Edelgard, metaphorically and somewhat literally. It is noted Byleth has no normal heartbeat in all routes, but Black Eagles is the only one where it can truly be addressed. As he/she bonds with the students, he/she learns from Edelgard and possibly Hubert about her tragic past. Their bond builds enough for Edelgard to invite her professor to her coronation, and at the moment of that decision a heartbeat can be heard. The first of two times this can happen, it shows Byleth pondering if he should follow his heart or his head. After all, going with Edelgard in both cases comes at significant personal cost or risk to him/her with little known about the potential gain. It's even more apparent the second time, right before the decision, Edelgard says "I always knew in my heart that it would come to this...". What she doesn't realize then is that said conclusion is really just a rational thought, as by all appearances, even if Byleth were to agree with Edelgard's goals fundamentally, who would dare side against the church to support someone who indirectly caused them so much pain? Because her heart is, in it's own way, just as non-functional as Byleth's. But follow it Byleth does, and in doing so sets them both on the path of recovery, and determination to forge their own destinies.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Ugh...it really pisses me off that Edelgard's declining popularity makes me not only worry about her chances in Smash, but that IS may never attempt something similar to female characters ever again. Either the FE fandom is too gungho in black/white morality, or they can't stand their female characters being more than just "fanservice" or "purity incarnate".

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Ugh...it really pisses me off that Edelgard's declining popularity makes me not only worry about her chances in Smash, but that IS may never attempt something similar to female characters ever again. Either the FE fandom is too gungho in black/white morality, or they can't stand their female characters being more than just "fanservice" or "purity incarnate".
What declining popularity? Polls only show a small sample size, but the game's own in games statistics show that Edelgard is still the most popular Lord by a large margin.

Troykv

Smash Master
Hey; I get that is sad that she isn't considered the most popular lord compared with Dimitri.

But you have to think... for a character that was PURPORSEFULLY designed to be view in a grey light; and that it's perfectly possible to see as a villain without looking biased... It's quite impressive Edelgard managed to be popular; she is polarizing and will make discussing about her always interesting.

And who knows; we have to remember, Nintendo Dream it's the same magazine that put many males above Azura and Camilla in their Fates poll....

And we know how wrong they were.

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
What declining popularity? Polls only show a small sample size, but the game's own in games statistics show that Edelgard is still the most popular Lord by a large margin.
Game statistics don't really buy it for me atm. Like I said in a previous post: The Black Eagle route splits into two later down the line so of course their units have more deployment time, regardless of popularity. Edelgard is mandatory for all story missions, only missing out on two chapters and

outright leaves you if you go for Church route which probably put a sour taste in people's mouths especially if they didn't know about the route split/the option to side with her

Meaning that even if people dislike/hate her, they HAVE to use her if they're doing a BE playthrough. Hell for all I know, they could have just left her to do nothing while Byleth and the other units do all the work.

D

Deleted member

I think CYL will be more telling of actual popularity but regardless, if she was decided or not, it was even before 3H released so her reception would have nothing to do with it.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I think CYL will be more telling of actual popularity but regardless, if she was decided or not, it was even before 3H released so her reception would have nothing to do with it.
This too. She'd have had to be in development a while ago, and she was by far the most popular as well as the most heavily marketed Lord back then. I think she's still the poster girl of the game tbh, though some disagree.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This too. She'd have had to be in development a while ago, and she was by far the most popular as well as the most heavily marketed Lord back then. I think she's still the poster girl of the game tbh, though some disagree.
Honestly I still agree. Edge of Dawn is literally her theme song, after all.

That and, of course, the figma.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
*flashes back to all the bellyaching in the Joker threads*

Ah s***, here we go again.

You need thicker skin, my friend, because just as many people complained about those goody two shoes or too much fanservice.
What's next, is it going to be Intelligent Systems trying to deliberately set Edelgard up to fail with a shorter campaign and less cutscenes, like how Atlus was supposedly withholding Joker to better market Royal?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
*flashes back to all the bellyaching in the Joker threads*

Ah s***, here we go again.

You need thicker skin, my friend, because just as many people complained about those goody two shoes or too much fanservice.
What's next, is it going to be Intelligent Systems trying to deliberately set Edelgard up to fail with a shorter campaign and less cutscenes, like how Atlus was supposedly withholding Joker to better market Royal?
I didn't want to be the one to say it, but I think we're all thinking it. (At least anyone who followed that thread)

Troykv

Smash Master
I didn't want to be the one to say it, but I think we're all thinking it. (At least anyone who followed that thread)
Expansions (?)

Sorry; I actually don't know about Joker/Ren controversies.

Icelerate

Smash Apprentice
I'm feeling it inside me... this realization... maybe it conflicts with my biggest desire in my life... but I actually want to play with Edelgard in Smash Ultimate.

I actually want her.
How much do you want her on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the amount you want Micaiah and 1 being the scale you wanted Corrin in Smash?

Who are your top 5 characters from any NIntendo or third party game that you want in Smash?

H-E-D

Smash Rookie
Ehh I'm actually against that. It works for Pokemon because that's part of the core gameplay: switching out Pokemon mid battle depending on the situation. Three Houses doesn't have that with the adjutants. You can't switch between the lead unit and their assigned adjutant or even order an adjutant to attack in place of the unit they're assigned to. You're still developing three fighters. Why force a mechanic that doesn't exist in a game the characters originate from?
You're right that it doesn't reflect a gameplay mechanic, but I don't think every element of a Smash character needs to be 1-to-1 with the mechanics of their base series. The choice between those three characters is a major element of Three Houses as a whole, so it feels metacontextually appropriate to me.

Mostly it would just be the only plausible way of getting more than one 3H character in the game, and while El is my top choice, I do quite like Dimitri and Claude and think their weapons could bring something interesting to the table.

Great idea, but I would never see Dimitri, Claude, and Edelgard fight together
Well, with this mechanic, they wouldn't be fighting together, just one at a time :p

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am 75% of completion of Edelgard’s route now. My opinion of her has changed slightly, but it’s only in her own route this really comes into play. Her quest for dominance is still rather sudden, and I don’t even really think her own route addresses the main reasons too well, compared to how significantly it impacts the other routes. In this, I truly regard Claude as the best written Lord in Three Houses, as he is untouched in his motivations wether you side with him or not, and his back up options are always admirable. Then again, Claude is the character with no real dark traits shown in his personality, “scheming” doesn’t count either as he doesn’t do any evil with it. So I guess it’s way easier for Claude to come up as the most honorable of the Lords because he doesn’t have Dimitri’s bloodlust and trauma, or Edelgard’s iron resolve for conquest.

Anyway, I justify Edelgard’s route by having my head canon be that Byleth is deeply in love with her. And I also think that’s canon in their route honestly.

By the way, I still don’t think Edelgard being a armored Ace unit suits her design. I also think her Armored Lord design is rather weird. What’s up with that giant shield? She’s not really build for it to realistically pull it off, seeing as she’s quite skinny. I’m not sure if I would want her presented in Smash like that honestly. Much rather have her be based on her pre time skip design and fighting style.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
By the way, I still don’t think Edelgard being a armored Ace unit suits her design. I also think her Armored Lord design is rather weird. What’s up with that giant shield? She’s not really build for it to realistically pull it off, seeing as she’s quite skinny. I’m not sure if I would want her presented in Smash like that honestly. Much rather have her be based on her pre time skip design and fighting style.
If you look at the official art for her timeskip look, she actually has some pretty well-toned forearms, for what it's worth. That definitely helps.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If you look at the official art for her timeskip look, she actually has some pretty well-toned forearms, for what it's worth. That definitely helps.
Yada yada Crests are to blame something something. It's easy to forget that they have practical effects outside of gameplay. Dimitri's sometimes makes him hit harder while eating his weapon's durability, which reflects outside of battle as him being prone to breaking weapons.

Edelgard has the minor crest of Seiros which sometimes boosts combat art damage, and the Crest Of Flames which gives random Sol effects and rarely stops her from getting doubled. Altogether these reflect as her being almost superhumanly tough and capable of great physical feats when she pushes herself. One of her "class suggestions" has her point out that armor has never really slowed her down, which she attributes to her crests.

That's still more justification than skinny Path Of Radiance Ike swinging around a two-handed sword with one hand.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yada yada Crests are to blame something something. It's easy to forget that they have practical effects outside of gameplay. Dimitri's sometimes makes him hit harder while eating his weapon's durability, which reflects outside of battle as him being prone to breaking weapons.

Edelgard has the minor crest of Seiros which sometimes boosts combat art damage, and the Crest Of Flames which gives random Sol effects and rarely stops her from getting doubled. Altogether these reflect as her being almost superhumanly tough and capable of great physical feats when she pushes herself. One of her "class suggestions" has her point out that armor has never really slowed her down, which she attributes to her crests.

That's still more justification than skinny Path Of Radiance Ike swinging around a two-handed sword with one hand.
Oh, absolutely. I was just saying that her appearance also helps a bit, mainly due to her arms. :p

But for real, Edelgard's strong as hell, and I love how they portrayed that in game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah I mean in our closed circles, we can't easily take the silent majority into account. Fans underestimated how huge the South American scene is in regards to SNK character support.

And the last thing I needed was being reminded of those days. I'd rather not put up with this again, especially with Sakurai misinterpretation happening for the umpteenth time right now.

For what it's worth, swinging that sword bulked him up by RD. :p

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
And the last thing I needed was being reminded of those days. I'd rather not put up with this again, especially with Sakurai misinterpretation happening for the umpteenth time right now.
If there's one thing to be learned from Three House's story, it's that those who forget history are doomed to repeat it, one way or the other.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Expansions (?)

Sorry; I actually don't know about Joker/Ren controversies.
There was no controversy. Just one user dropping by every day to complain about their theory that Atlus was forcing Sakurai to delay Joker because they hate their customers, and complaining that Persona fans don't deserve to have their character in the game (despite supposedly being one themselves) because they are entitled due to frequent releases (that's a laugh) and just generally painting the series, the company, and the fanbase in a bad light. Literally constantly. It was impossible to even have a discussion without them chiming in about how entitled we were acting by speculating about Joker's release date and moveset. Hopefully the same thing does not happen here.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I admit I took things WAY too far regarding Joker back in the day, especially now that I am repeating the same thing.

Edelgard though is a different matter since she's not confirmed yet, and there's already been a couple of polls with her fairing poorly. Granted that may be from a small sample size and/or the sources not indicating the majority of the playerbase. Still irks me that the a female character whose actually proactive, drives the main story forward and is actually morally grey is getting less than stellar reception when compared to male characters who do just the same, yet are fanboyed/fangirled massively.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah I admit I took things WAY too far regarding Joker back in the day, especially now that I am repeating the same thing.

Edelgard though is a different matter since she's not confirmed yet, and there's already been a couple of polls with her fairing poorly. Granted that may be from a small sample size and/or the sources not indicating the majority of the playerbase. Still irks me that the a female character whose actually proactive, drives the main story forward and is actually morally grey is getting less than stellar reception when compared to male characters who do just the same, yet are fanboyed/fangirled massively.
"Grey" by definition is something not everyone will agree with or like. Context is important as many people who say they don't like her do not deny she is well written. Or they're Blue Lions starters, whose route does everything in it's power to paint Edelgard as despicable while sweeping most of the shadier aspects of her archnemesis under the rug.

And to be frank, Edelgard's first impressions can paint her as being aloof, untrusting and insensitive compared to the other two. It's a character trait of hers that she is not easy to get along with, because of her radical views, utter determination to see them through regardless of what others think and being fiercely opinionated. Her B-support with Caspar in particular shows this well as she mercilessly roasts (verbally) his brother in front of him, before quickly moving to speaking about her revolutionary plans in a broad sense.

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
"Grey" by definition is something not everyone will agree with or like. Context is important as many people who say they don't like her do not deny she is well written. Or they're Blue Lions starters, whose route does everything in it's power to paint Edelgard as despicable while sweeping most of the shadier aspects of her archnemesis under the rug.

And to be frank, Edelgard's first impressions can paint her as being aloof, untrusting and insensitive compared to the other two. It's a character trait of hers that she is not easy to get along with, because of her radical views, utter determination to see them through regardless of what others think and being fiercely opinionated. Her B-support with Caspar in particular shows this well as she mercilessly roasts (verbally) his brother in front of him, before quickly moving to speaking about her revolutionary plans in a broad sense.
I get that Edelgard is the antagonist of 3/4 routes, with Blue Lions especially painting her at her worst, but when I see sites like Youtube or Reddit doing nothing but kiss Dimitri's ass...it sours my opinion on him by a lot.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I get that Edelgard is the antagonist of 3/4 routes, with Blue Lions especially painting her at her worst, but when I see sites like Youtube or Reddit doing nothing but kiss Dimitri's ***...it sours my opinion on him by a lot.
Try not to let the fanbase ruin things for you. If you dislike things just because others like them too much you'll end up missing out on a lot. I say this as someone who used to do the same thing. I used to absolutely despise Persona. My best friend never shut up about it and made fun of my favorite games and how they were nothing compared to his precious Persona 4. It wasn't until long after that friendship was over that I was convinced to give the games an actual try, and Persona 4 became my favorite game too, only to be surpasses by Persona 5 when it came out.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, I just hate to see others doing to themselves the same thing I did to myself. Both with the stuff from back then with Joker and now with Dimitri (who is admittedly my least favorite of the Lords, but still) you're forming your opinion based on spiting others. If you get out of that mindset you'll enjoy games and speculation lot more.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

I think you are exaggerating the hate for Edelgard. Even in that poll where she was voted as the most hated she was at the same the 2nd favourite female character, and as time goes on more people are playing BE and start to appreciate her. Heck, I've even seen a good number of GD fans really like Edelgard to the point that they would have preferred ally with her rather than the Church/Kingdom in their play through, as well as many fan arts of Edelgard on Twitter with 10k or even 25k likes, which isn't really something that many "unliked" characters can do.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One thought occurs, there's the thought that Smash will go for the playable character over whoever makes the most impact but the first indie Mii costume shows that's not always the case.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
And didn't Sakurai say in an interview that he is a bit tired of only putting main characters in? Edelgard is definitely big enough to rep Three Houses.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Remember when during the Banjo presentation Sakurai said that more DLC means "adding more worlds?"
Well looks like it was slightly mistranslated, since during Source Gaming's recent podcast they stated that in Japanese his quote is more along the lines of "each new character expands the world of Smash", so first party characters aren't out of the picture.
LET'S GO EDELGANG

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Remember when during the Banjo presentation Sakurai said that more DLC means "adding more worlds?"
Well looks like it was slightly mistranslated, since during Source Gaming's recent podcast they stated that in Japanese his quote is more along the lines of "each new character expands the world of Smash", so first party characters aren't out of the picture.
LET'S GO EDELGANG
Another "Until now" translation.
You'd think Nintendo would catch on that synonyms can still have different meanings

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Yeah if the first DLC fighter after the Fighter Pass is a third party, you can be sure to see some members of the Smash Fandom dictate the second wave of DLC is still all third party. I'm already seeing some interpret the "new worlds" translation as meaning still all third party. Fódlan's a new world, and so is Alrest.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Considering that Terry comes in November, I feel like Challenger Pack #5 will be revealed during the Game Awards if only to make everything go full circle (though what character would that be is anyone's guess). However I could see them unveiling the next fighter beyond the Fighter's Pass either in some direct, or alongside the last fighter for the current pass.

Does this boost El's chances? Uncertain, as I feel it might be a third party character to generate hype. I can't believe I'm saying this: But I am hoping the next pass/fighters (they didn't say it was another pack right?) has more Nintendo reps.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Considering that Terry comes in November, I feel like Challenger Pack #5 will be revealed during the Game Awards if only to make everything go full circle (though what character would that be is anyone's guess). However I could see them unveiling the next fighter beyond the Fighter's Pass either in some direct, or alongside the last fighter for the current pass.

Does this boost El's chances? Uncertain, as I feel it might be a third party character to generate hype. I can't believe I'm saying this: But I am hoping the next pass/fighters (they didn't say it was another pack right?) has more Nintendo reps.
I'm thinking you're half right. I see another Direct happening in November with a situation similar to this direct where fighter #5 is announced and Terry's presentation and release is after the direct. Then I think the first extra character will be revealed at the game awards, and I think it will be Geno. So kind of third party. If I had to guess, Edelgard or Rex would be after that.

Regardless I do see Edelgard as a front-runner for sure.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, another thing to take into consideration...

In regards to characters that are "too recent", I would say that circa 2017-2018 was the cutting point for characters that could get in. Anything before and beyond that would be fair game, I think, although I might be wrong on this.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
So, another thing to take into consideration...

In regards to characters that are "too recent", I would say that circa 2017-2018 was the cutting point for characters that could get in. Anything before and beyond that would be fair game, I think, although I might be wrong on this.
Are you talking about in the context of base game right?

That is probably true because Incineroar it's a 2017-2018 character as far as I remember (at least in the context of Sakurai putting him in the game, because it depended on Ultra Sun/Moon)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Are you talking about in the context of base game right?

That is probably true because Incineroar it's a 2017-2018 character as far as I remember (at least in the context of Sakurai putting him in the game, because it depended on Ultra Sun/Moon)
Yeah, base game, also a bit of the Fighter Pass.

Incineroar did debut in 2016 though, as well as Joker (in Japan).

Last edited:
Top Bottom