• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Black Eagles House Leader

Troykv

Smash Master
So we have DLC outside of the Pack?

I'm feeling First Party characters!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
We'll have to see what the focus of the additional DLC will be, Sakurai talking about adding new worlds could be interpreted in a lot of ways. For now Edelgard is one of the favorites for the additional DLC though, so here's hoping.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
We'll have to see what the focus of the additional DLC will be, Sakurai talking about adding new worlds could be interpreted in a lot of ways. For now Edelgard is one of the favorites for the additional DLC though, so here's hoping.
Well Fodland is a new world in the FE series :troll:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
This does change everything. Still part of me still worries about Byleth being prioritized, or even Dmitri and Claude. From what I see online and in some official polls, it seems like they and their route are more popular than Edelgard is.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
This does change everything. Still part of me still worries about Byleth being prioritized, or even Dmitri and Claude. From what I see online and in some official polls, it seems like they and their route are more popular than Edelgard is.
There's no concern of Dimitri or Claude taking the spot. Even just yesterday I saw an official Nintendo add for three houses featuring a giant picture of Edelgard with much smaller pictures of Dimitri and Claude underneath. She's clearly the biggest one of the three.

As far as Byleth goes, I believe Sakurai might pass over them due to being yet another swordy, but they are the real competition for Edelgard.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
The online rankings show that Black Eagles is the most selected house. For whatever it may be worth, Edelgard has mountains more fanart than Claude or Dimitri.

Regardless, though, I don't really have any hope left, even for the second wave. Ultimate's newcomer roster has been so awful for me and I just feel I'm better off not caring anymore.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm feeling much more hopeful now, to be honest.

Onward to a new dawn, folks.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, it feels like "DLC outside the pass" is just perfect for her. We don't have a number but I expect 5 more whether they put them in a pass or not and the fact she still doesn't have a Spirit means a lot more now

Troykv

Smash Master
Yeah, it feels like "DLC outside the pass" is just perfect for her. We don't have a number but I expect 5 more whether they put them in a pass or not and the fact she still doesn't have a Spirit means a lot more now
Exactly! That was commenting in Reddit actually too.

The fact we don't have FE3H Stickers feels a bit... weird; Sakurai it's a big FE Fan, and was Nintendo's big release of July, it was weird it appear in other promotional material, but not in Smash Ultimate.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Exactly! That was commenting in Reddit actually too.

The fact we don't have FE3H Stickers feels a bit... weird; Sakurai it's a big FE Fan, and was Nintendo's big release of July, it was weird it appear in other promotional material, but not in Smash Ultimate.
This. It's beyond suspicious. They added spirits to promote Pokemon LG, Dragon quest XI and Link's Awakening. Why not FE?

It's not like they're going to stop adding FE characters. With a rotating cast, representation can't just stop forever at Fates. Whether people like it or not, FE will keep getting new characters from time to time. Considering how big Three Houses has become, it would seem really odd not to see any trace of it at all in smash. If they're not adding individual spirits, they're adding a character, plain and simple.

Considering we now know there are more characters in development, it's reasonable to think Three houses is getting a character, which will come with some spirits.

My only question is Byleth or Edelgard. And I have always been of the mindset that Sakurai would choose Edelgard over another blue haired swordsmen in a heartbeat, player character or not.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
The online rankings show that Black Eagles is the most selected house. For whatever it may be worth, Edelgard has mountains more fanart than Claude or Dimitri.

Regardless, though, I don't really have any hope left, even for the second wave. Ultimate's newcomer roster has been so awful for me and I just feel I'm better off not caring anymore.
I'm not so sure as to whether the BE house topping online statistics is indication of fandom popularity. I mean doesn't the BE route

"have two routes? Meaning that for people who want to complete all four, they would need to pick Black Eagles whether they like them or not."

More fanart? All I see on my Twitter feed are countless ones of Dmitri and sometimes the rest of the Blue Lions. And like I said: There's those two polls that had him as #1 by a massive lead.

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Pure Chaos route would be for Sakurai to add all four main characters to "avoid favoritism." Very unlikely to happen, but a man can dream. A man can dream.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Pure Chaos route would be for Sakurai to add all four main characters to "avoid favoritism." Very unlikely to happen, but a man can dream. A man can dream.
Sakurai will avert all expectations and add everyone's favorite waifu:

Hanneman

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not so sure as to whether the BE house topping online statistics is indication of fandom popularity. I mean doesn't the BE route

"have two routes? Meaning that for people who want to complete all four, they would need to pick Black Eagles whether they like them or not."

More fanart? All I see on my Twitter feed are countless ones of Dmitri and sometimes the rest of the Blue Lions. And like I said: There's those two polls that had him as #1 by a massive lead.
At launch, BE was already dominating the online statistics and Edelgard still sits at 4th most deployed(a number that's bound to get lower as time progresses due to the Lords being locked to one route each but all the others around her are still BE students).
Fan art just depends on who you follow on twitter and I'd never call it indicative of popularity. I see, like, one Claude for every 10 Edelgards and one Dimitri for every 10 Claudes

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord

Most people don't know about the two routes going in, and BE has been at the top since the game launched.

When I look on Pixiv and such places, I see more Edelgard.

Regardless, given Sakurai's obvious penchant for picking the most primary character over others (with Robin being the only sort-of exception), if we get a Three Houses character it's definitely going to be either Edelgard or Byleth.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

The "most deployed unit" poll has Edelgard at 4th place (the top 3 are Dorothea, Petra and Bernadetta who proved to be very popular even among the other two houses), so that proves that Crimson Flower is in fact the most voted and played route of the game (while neighter Dimitri or Claude appear on the ranking).

Those polls with Dimitri on top actually have a really small focus group (from 500 people to 2000), and most of them didn't even finished a single route when taking the survey, so many voted based on first impression alone.

Also Edelgard is still the biggest player in the story, has a strong connection with the player character regardless of the route and also has a Figma already in the works, so the chances of Dimitri or Claude making over her are very very slim (also because their weapons are harder to envision in Smash than Edelgard's Axe).

Sakurai will avert all expectations and add everyone's favorite waifu:

Hanneman
Ehy don't diss my boi like that, I love Hanneman...
I just wish he loved me just as much as Crests...

Jokes aside he is easely my favourite non student alongside Sethet, and he is also not a bad mage. I used him way more than Annette in my BL run lol.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
The "most deployed unit" poll has Edelgard at 4th place (the top 3 are Dorothea, Petra and Bernadetta who proved to be very popular even among the other two houses), so that proves that Crimson Flower is in fact the most voted and played route of the game (while neighter Dimitri or Claude appear on the ranking).

Those polls with Dimitri on top actually have a really small focus group (from 500 people to 2000), and most of them didn't even finished a single route when taking the survey, so many voted based on first impression alone.

Also Edelgard is still the biggest player in the story, has a strong connection with the player character regardless of the route and also has a Figma already in the works, so the chances of Dimitri or Claude making over her are very very slim (also because their weapons are harder to envision in Smash than Edelgard's Axe).

Jokes aside he is easely my favourite non student alongside Sethet, and he is also not a bad mage. I used him way more than Annette in my BL run lol.
Considering that Edelgard is playable in 16 chapters (9 White Clouds as 2 chapters she's unavailable, and 7 Crimson Flower) compared to Dmitri and Claude's 21 chapters: Yeah you do have a point that perhaps many either play Crimson Flower more, or more people are playing her route.

That aside, there's also her being the biggest player in the story though I got to wonder if Sakurai has skipped a major character before regardless of their relevance to the story over a character more popular with the fanbase, ala Robin over Chrom back in Smash 4. On the flip side: The issue I see with adding Edelgard in is that it may come off as "route bias" hence I worry they'll go for Byleth as a "safe pick" and by "they" I mean Nintendo higher-ups.

Didn't Sakurai say something about an axe at one point? Someone here said it before or something.

D

Deleted member

also because their weapons are harder to envision in Smash than Edelgard's Axe).
Eh, I disagree. All 3 of them bring very simple yet unique movesets to Smash. We still don't have a single spear fighter and bows are only used in one move of two movesets so it has a lot of stuff yet to be explored.
Considering that Edelgard is playable in 16 chapters (9 White Clouds as 2 chapters she's unavailable, and 7 Crimson Flower) compared to Dmitri and Claude's 21 chapters: Yeah you do have a point that perhaps many either play Crimson Flower more, or more people are playing her route.

That aside, there's also her being the biggest player in the story though I got to wonder if Sakurai has skipped a major character before regardless of their relevance to the story over a character more popular with the fanbase, ala Robin over Chrom back in Smash 4. On the flip side: The issue I see with adding Edelgard in is that it may come off as "route bias" hence I worry they'll go for Byleth as a "safe pick" and by "they" I mean Nintendo higher-ups.

Didn't Sakurai say something about an axe at one point? Someone here said it before or something.
If they were ever worried about route bias, marketing would have gone a lot differently.
Edelgard is in more of a Robin position though, as Byleth is the main character like Chrom was but she brings much more to the table than Byleth would(even the whipsword has so many things it can do before it just feels like a Belmont).

Edelgard does have story relevance in all routes, though she doesn't have more than the player character due to them always being present, she's the only one of the 3 Lords that has an important role no matter which route you go.
The question is really just if we're gonna get Byleth or one of the Lords, but which Lord it would be is just easy to guess based off marketing.
Speaking of which, I'd like to remind people that Greninja got pushed hard in marketing and the Pokemon anime, all because TPC knew it was going to be in Smash.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

I mean what's the difference between choosing only Edelgard from choosing only :ultincineroar: and :ultgreninja: (and :ultcharizard: in Smash For too)?

Also I feel we shouldn't worry about Nintendo higher ups, because
1) They are the ones who approved the marketing of the game heavely featuring Edelgard above the other two, as well as licensing her for the Figma over even Byleth.
2) It's pssible that Nintendo simply gave a list of companies to Sakurai and he picked the actual character. I mean it's very suspicious that :ultjoker: got in despite P5 being one of the biggest exclusives for the PS4 when they could have gone for a SMT character in order to promote SMT V, all while P5 is one of Sakurai's favourite games...

Eh, I disagree. All 3 of them bring very simple yet unique movesets to Smash. We still don't have a single spear fighter and bows are only used in one move of two movesets so it has a lot of stuff yet to be explored.

If they were ever worried about route bias, marketing would have gone a lot differently.
Edelgard is in more of a Robin position though, as Byleth is the main character like Chrom was but she brings much more to the table than Byleth would(even the whipsword has so many things it can do before it just feels like a Belmont).

Edelgard does have story relevance in all routes, though she doesn't have more than the player character due to them always being present, she's the only one of the 3 Lords that has an important role no matter which route you go.
The question is really just if we're gonna get Byleth or one of the Lords, but which Lord it would be is just easy to guess based off marketing.
Speaking of which, I'd like to remind people that Greninja got pushed hard in marketing and the Pokemon anime, all because TPC knew it was going to be in Smash.
I agree on the unique moveset, but Dimitri and Claude are actually trickyer to envision than Edelgard due to the nature of theri weapon.
A spear is truly effective on the very tip of it, and its range would make it quite difficult to balance without slowing it significantly down, but lances are meant to be quick since they have to stab and slash the opponent, so it wouldn't feal as natural as the Belmont charging their whip for a full strike.
A bow as the main weapon would leave a fighter without any real option for close combat, with most projectile based characters mitigate that problem by having explosives, which at least cover a big area so if they miss they aren't screwed, but Claude doesn't really have any real option for this (also because he doesn't use fist fighting).
Then there are also the classes. Edelgard's Tank nature is something very unique and not yet represented in Smash, while Dimitri would feel symilar to Ike being a not so big but not so fast Lord archetype and Claude is a Wyvern Rider...which is really difficult to implement.

I'm not saying that they are impossible, of course with enough time and thought they would be really cool, but Sakurai once commented on Famitsu that for a character to be chosen they must "dance in his head", having a clear vision of how they would work and feel unique on their own, and among the three lords Edelgard is clearly the easiest to envision in that regard.

The big thing that will decide between Edelgard and Byleth is what Sakurai feels would be the more unique addition. Byleth has the Sword of the Creator and their Rewind feature, but is also another blue haired swordfighter, as weel as the third avatar and barely any personality.
Edelgard has an Axe, her tanky nature as well as a clear personality that would also make her serviceable as the "villain" for the series.
Both have Crests, Battalion and could rely on other 3H specific things.

D

Deleted member

I mean what's the difference between choosing only Edelgard from choosing only :ultincineroar: and :ultgreninja: (and :ultcharizard: in Smash For too)?

Also I feel we shouldn't worry about Nintendo higher ups, because
1) They are the ones who approved the marketing of the game heavely featuring Edelgard above the other two, as well as licensing her for the Figma over even Byleth.
2) It's pssible that Nintendo simply gave a list of companies to Sakurai and he picked the actual character. I mean it's very suspicious that :ultjoker: got in despite P5 being one of the biggest exclusives for the PS4 when they could have gone for a SMT character in order to promote SMT V, all while P5 is one of Sakurai's favourite games...

I agree on the unique moveset, but Dimitri and Claude are actually trickyer to envision than Edelgard due to the nature of theri weapon.
A spear is truly effective on the very tip of it, and its range would make it quite difficult to balance without slowing it significantly down, but lances are meant to be quick since they have to stab and slash the opponent, so it wouldn't feal as natural as the Belmont charging their whip for a full strike.
A bow as the main weapon would leave a fighter without any real option for close combat, with most projectile based characters mitigate that problem by having explosives, which at least cover a big area so if they miss they aren't screwed, but Claude doesn't really have any real option for this (also because he doesn't use fist fighting).
Then there are also the classes. Edelgard's Tank nature is something very unique and not yet represented in Smash, while Dimitri would feel symilar to Ike being a not so big but not so fast Lord archetype and Claude is a Wyvern Rider...which is really difficult to implement.

I'm not saying that they are impossible, of course with enough time and thought they would be really cool, but Sakurai once commented on Famitsu that for a character to be chosen they must "dance in his head", having a clear vision of how they would work and feel unique on their own, and among the three lords Edelgard is clearly the easiest to envision in that regard.

The big thing that will decide between Edelgard and Byleth is what Sakurai feels would be the more unique addition. Byleth has the Sword of the Creator and their Rewind feature, but is also another blue haired swordfighter, as weel as the third avatar and barely any personality.
Edelgard has an Axe, her tanky nature as well as a clear personality that would also make her serviceable as the "villain" for the series.
Both have Crests, Battalion and could rely on other 3H specific things.
Eh, I still disagree with the notion Claude and Dimitri's movesets re hard to envision. A spear fighter is really easy to conceptualize and a pure archer has a lot of room to get creative with, especially with Clude's scheming nature.

Maybe I should make movesets for them...

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
But unlike the games where you have to choose one of the starters they could (as mentioned before) go for the constant in all routes and pick Byleth. That would be the same as piking the trainer in Pokemon just that Byleth can work out on his own.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, so, my assumption about WOL slots being used is true, I can finally talk about it openly without getting shut down. :estatic:

Assuming that they don't want to use characters that are too recent, I suppose that we may see Edelgard later on, rather than sooner, as far as additional DLC batches go.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Well, I remember seeing Jack Frost's name thrown as a possible Atlus rep. In hindsight, I'm not sure if Jack Frost would've generated similar hype to Joker if he was chosen instead.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Adding to that, the assumption before Terry's confirmation was that a King of Fighters character would get in since Sak had played KOF '95. He instead went for its forefather series.

So there's definitely some level of influence on his part.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Adding to that, the assumption before Terry's confirmation was that a King of Fighters character would get in since Sak had played KOF '95. He instead went for its forefather series.

So there's definitely some level of influence on his part.
Terry's debut is in Fatal Fury, not King of Fighters, which is actually a Smash like crossover of all SNK fighting games, that's why Terry is listed as fron Fatal Fury.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi

Haha, no, I'm not hatin'. Great minds must think alike, because beyond the non-students, I'd say Hanneman and Seteth are easily my favorites. Well, them and Shamir.

When I went through my first BE run, Hanneman was definitely my most-used mage. He did everything Dorothea did, but with seemingly better defense. My second playthrough, that title easily goes to Lysithea.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Haha, no, I'm not hatin'. Great minds must think alike, because beyond the non-students, I'd say Hanneman and Seteth are easily my favorites. Well, them and Shamir.

When I went through my first BE run, Hanneman was definitely my most-used mage. He did everything Dorothea did, but with seemingly better defense. My second playthrough, that title easily goes to Lysithea.
Hanneman's legitimately one of my favorite characters in the game, lol. Once you get him to Warlock he just becomes so great. His Thorons and Meteors may as well be nukes. :p

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Hanneman's legitimately one of my favorite characters in the game, lol. Once you get him to Warlock he just becomes so great. His Thorons and Meteors may as well be nukes. :p

Yeah, he definitely got me out of a few pinches, haha. And I'd listen to an audiobook all about Crestology if it was narrated by him.

Speaking of promoting him to Warlock, when I was cycling through that Certification menu to promote him, I accidentally got a glimpse of what he'd look like as a Grappler/Brawler/ whatever they're called. Needless to say, a dapper middle-aged gentleman dressed like a Mad Max character is pretty disturbing, haha.

H-E-D

Smash Rookie
My vote: Byleth/House Leaders a la Pokémon Trainer. Get Edelgard, Claude and Dimitri all in one.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
I’ve started to think that Edelgard might very be a better character than Byleth.

I feel like she’d be more unique, using an axe. I could also see Sakurai giving her some sort of magic attacks (considering that she’s a budding talent for reason and it’s Black Eagles’ specialty) and heavily use her classmates for her moves (at least Hubert), referencing her high base command stat.

All in all I still like Dimitri more (even though I just started a BE playthrough) and I would like him more as a Smash fighter, since spears are more interesting than axes, but Edie (as a FETH character) is definitely in my top 5 most wanted fighters.

My vote: Byleth/House Leaders a la Pokémon Trainer. Get Edelgard, Claude and Dimitri all in one.
Great idea, but I would never see Dimitri, Claude, and Edelgard fight together

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
In a perfect world: I would want to see Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude get in as unique fighters (with their color palettes being based on their housemates XD). Plus seeing the salt that would come from the Smash community would be a blast lmao. Don't really care much for Byleth even with their unique aspects as they are still primarily sword-wielders. Plus I would hate it if avatar characters always get prioritized when it comes to the FE side. Corrin already set a bad precedent, on top of the many other reasons the FE side is so divisive.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Ehh I'm actually against that. It works for Pokemon because that's part of the core gameplay: switching out Pokemon mid battle depending on the situation. Three Houses doesn't have that with the adjutants. You can't switch between the lead unit and their assigned adjutant or even order an adjutant to attack in place of the unit they're assigned to. You're still developing three fighters. Why force a mechanic that doesn't exist in a game the characters originate from?
Plus I would hate it if avatar characters always get prioritized when it comes to the FE side.
Oh yeah, that's one thing I find annoying when I see people debate between Byleth and Edelgard. Who should get in first. "Edelgard can't get in. She's not the main protagonist. Byleth is." As long as avatar characters continue to be included in FE games, you're gonna see members of the Smash community dictate that the avatar character that fights with a sword in Fire Emblem: Another Revolving Cast must be included first over the lord that would rather punch ****.

They have a similar attitude towards ARMS. I don't even own ARMS but I find it annoying how they think the first rep must be Spring Man. He's an assist trophy so what do you do? Dismiss the franchise's entire chances until the next Smash you pick a fighter that's popular among the ARMS community.

Anyway, for those who want to see chaos, Three Houses Pack rise up!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not a fan of more Fire Emblem characters in Smash, but if we do get one I'm for Edelgard

...Her or Camilla, of course

D

Deleted member

Just popping in here to say Three Houses has a good chance of being in Smash Ultimate now. We on the hype train now, y'all

Troykv

Smash Master
I'm feeling it inside me... this realization... maybe it conflicts with my biggest desire in my life... but I actually want to play with Edelgard in Smash Ultimate.

I actually want her.

Last edited:
Top Bottom