• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Black Eagles House Leader

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Oh ok. Well unless it's something really coo to know aboutl im not impatient :p
It seems to mostly be story and character stuff, at least from what I have heard. It's been discussed a bit in the Ultimate Social.

Edit:
It appears that this leak has been confirmed to be true.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So since I figure most of us here will be going with the Black Eagles, what sorts of classes or weapon types will you be giving the non-Edelgard Black Eagle students?

For me, I'm a sucker for the "Canon" paths (went Merc Gray/Archer Tobin/Mage Kliff in SoV despite the latter being suboptimal), so I'll be going with what we've been shown so far from promo stuff.

Hubert - Black Magic (he's basically Edelgard's Soren)
Dorothea - Black Magic (+refresher based on her backstory?)
Linhardt - White Magic (Troubador hopefully)
Ferdinand - Lances (Gonna make him a cavalier for Canto)
Bernadetta - Bows (thank god one range bows are back)
Petra - Swords (plus she reminds me of Athena anyway)
Caspar - Axes and Gauntlets (he's always shown as a Fighter)

Troykv

Smash Master
So since I figure most of us here will be going with the Black Eagles, what sorts of classes or weapon types will you be giving the non-Edelgard Black Eagle students?

For me, I'm a sucker for the "Canon" paths (went Merc Gray/Archer Tobin/Mage Kliff in SoV despite the latter being suboptimal), so I'll be going with what we've been shown so far from promo stuff.

Hubert - Black Magic (he's basically Edelgard's Soren)
Dorothea - Black Magic (+refresher based on her backstory?)
Linhardt - White Magic (Troubador hopefully)
Ferdinand - Lances (Gonna make him a cavalier for Canto)
Bernadetta - Bows (thank god one range bows are back)
Petra - Swords (plus she reminds me of Athena anyway)
Caspar - Axes and Gauntlets (he's always shown as a Fighter)
Well; with Kliff anything that isn't Soldier will be good in him (and well, the Soldier thing applies to pretty much everyone anyway, Soldier should only be used if you're using Lukas without DLC), the main problem of Mage Kliff is Early Game lack of speed and the changes to the Learning Spell thing, with Kliff stucked more time using Fire/Thunder than Tobin (the other Male Villager used as Mage, and the better one, at least in Early Game, thanks to good base speed and early access to Excalibur).

And yeah, First Play will be the most vanilla run ever for me too.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That could be cool. I imagine that would be like other final smashes where the people hit are transported to another location.
Since battalion health is somewhat tied to the associated unit, perhaps the attack's range could be affected by percentage, the lower the better.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Since battalion health is somewhat tied to the associated unit, perhaps the attack's range could be affected by percentage, the lower the better.
Maybe, but no other final smash has that sort of disadvantage.

By the way, how many of you have read up on that leak a while back?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Maybe, but no other final smash has that sort of disadvantage.

By the way, how many of you have read up on that leak a while back?
I have. The fact that it got Ferdinand's character exactly right sealed the deal for me. Here's hoping the actual plot related stuff turns out to be real too.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I have. The fact that it got Ferdinand's character exactly right sealed the deal for me. Here's hoping the actual plot related stuff turns out to be real too.
Yeah. The fact that-
it's apparently going to be rather dark and is an 8/10 story compared to Fates 2/10 is great. The time skip might also help make the whole teacher dating thing much less weird. Also, the fact that the Black Eagles has two of the four game routes definitely puts Edelgard in a good position Smash wise. It does make me wonder what that split is, however.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah. The fact that-
it's apparently going to be rather dark and is an 8/10 story compared to Fates 2/10 is great. The time skip might also help make the whole teacher dating thing much less weird. Also, the fact that the Black Eagles has two of the four game routes definitely puts Edelgard in a good position Smash wise. It does make me wonder what that split is, however.
This is just a guess on my part, but between Thanibomb drawing comparisons to Micaiah, saying Edelgard is fairly ruthless, and saying that there's one story action of hers that's bound to be controversial, I'm banking on the split dealing with a life or death choice she has to make. Like, maybe sacrificing one of her friends or something for the greater good. Or putting Byleth in jeopardy if it means the security of the Adrestian Empire. Something like that; I'm just spitballing.

So which of the four unrevealed Black Eagles character bios do you want to see next? So far we still need Bernadetta, Linhardt, Petra, and Caspar.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
This is just a guess on my part, but between Thanibomb drawing comparisons to Micaiah, saying Edelgard is fairly ruthless, and saying that there's one story action of hers that's bound to be controversial, I'm banking on the split dealing with a life or death choice she has to make. Like, maybe sacrificing one of her friends or something for the greater good. Or putting Byleth in jeopardy if it means the security of the Adrestian Empire. Something like that; I'm just spitballing.

So which of the four unrevealed Black Eagles character bios do you want to see next? So far we still need Bernadetta, Linhardt, Petra, and Caspar.
What i think might happen is this: pretty much it would be a choice of either being good or evil. Maybe there is a dirty secret the Adrestian Empire is hiding or perhaps they are the aggrers in whatever conflict occurs, but no matter, Edelgards path will have the choice to rule the kingdom with an iron fist or try to be something better. Considering this game is supposed to be pretty dark, I could see it happening.

For me, it's between Linhardt and Bernadetta.

Edit:
Welp, would you look at that.
Bernadetta's bio was posted on Twitter today.
Translation:

Bio:
[Black Eagles] Bernadetta (CV: Tsuji Ayumi)
The only daughter of the Varley Dukedom. Extremely shy towards strangers, so much that the only place she feels at ease while far away from home is her room in the dormitory. When not attending lectures, she spends her time hiding in her room getting absorbed in her hobby (hobbies?).

Second pic:
"Y-y-you saw everything!? Why? Why were you watching!?"
What a relatable character. Since you both asked the question and made this post, what do you think of Bernadetta Opossum Opossum ?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What i think might happen is this: pretty much it would be a choice of either being good or evil. Maybe there is a dirty secret the Adrestian Empire is hiding or perhaps they are the aggrers in whatever conflict occurs, but no matter, Edelgards path will have the choice to rule the kingdom with an iron fist or try to be something better. Considering this game is supposed to be pretty dark, I could see it happening.

For me, it's between Linhardt and Bernadetta.

Edit:
Welp, would you look at that.

What a relatable character. Since you both asked the question and made this post, what do you think of Bernadetta Opossum Opossum ?
What is it Adrest that always seems to make you assume the worst of them above the other two kingdoms? Is it because empires are always bad? Or that you can't have a specialty in (dark) magic without being evil?

We can't forget that all three kingdoms were warring with each other, not the other two teaming up against big bad Adrest. I don't want to see one of the three being significantly more objectionable than the others, and who's to say the other two don't have their own closet skeletons?

And do we really want to see another "fix corruption from within" story when those seldom seem to go over well with the fans?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What is it Adrest that always seems to make you assume the worst of them above the other two kingdoms? Is it because empires are always bad? Or that you can't have a specialty in (dark) magic without being evil?

We can't forget that all three kingdoms were warring with each other, not the other two teaming up against big bad Adrest. I don't want to see one of the three being significantly more objectionable than the others, and who's to say the other two don't have their own closet skeletons?

And do we really want to see another "fix corruption from within" story when those seldom seem to go over well with the fans?
It was just an idea. Considering what FE typically does and the subject in question, I imagine there is going to be some morally problematic things happening.

Also...
The Golden Deer
The Blue Lions
The Black Eagles
Why is it that the Black Eagles are the only ones not named after their respective color and it just so happens to be black of all things? Just something that's been bothering me for a bit.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It was just an idea. Considering what FE typically does and the subject in question, I imagine there is going to be some morally problematic things happening.

Also...
The Golden Deer
The Blue Lions
The Black Eagles
Why is it that the Black Eagles are the only ones not named after their respective color and it just so happens to be black of all things? Just something that's been bothering me for a bit.
If you had a dirty dark secret, would you intentionally imply you have one?

Dark magic is part of their specialty and they likely chose to reflect that. If you look closely at their logo, you'll notice it's colored darker than the others. Red, which is only really worn by Edelgard, is likely just there to complement the black that is also prominent in all clothes and complete the primary color trio.

I'm just tired of kingdoms specializing in that element always getting the evil treatment, you know?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The recent Famitsu scans revealed some new info. Among them are some more personal skills.

For the Black Eagles, we now know that Ferdinand's personal skill is basically Subaki's from Fates, and that Bernadetta's gives her attacks an additional five damage if she's not at full HP (which is kinda busted, but great).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The recent Famitsu scans revealed some new info. Among them are some more personal skills.

For the Black Eagles, we now know that Ferdinand's personal skill is basically Subaki's from Fates, and that Bernadetta's gives her attacks an additional five damage if she's not at full HP (which is kinda busted, but great).
I guess that answers why Bernadetta is the way she is. She's such a shut in because her tacticians always immediately puts her in danger of an arrow to the face.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I guess that answers why Bernadetta is the way she is. She's such a shut in because her tacticians always immediately puts her in danger of an arrow to the face.
Sounds more like she has anger issues known only to her. Basically Noire, and shuts herself to protect others from that. Being pushed to the front lines against her will is more likely to make her more social, if only out of necessity to get help.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sounds more like she has anger issues known only to her. Basically Noire, and shuts herself to protect others from that. Being pushed to the front lines against her will is more likely to make her more social, if only out of necessity to get help.
It's less underlying anger and more of a fight or flight thing. The skill itself is called Paranoia.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I wonder how the other house captains would factor into Edelgard DLC. I doubt they would be ignored, so maybe they could appear on the stage or something. At the very least, they would be spirits.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You know, I wonder how the other house captains would factor into Edelgard DLC. I doubt they would be ignored, so maybe they could appear on the stage or something. At the very least, they would be spirits.
Claude: Link, Enemy Prefers Neutral Specials. Pink Villager Girl and Purple Chrom are reinforcements.

Dimitri: Blue Male Corrin, Enemy Prefers Side Specials. Ganondorf reinforcement.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Mii costumes. Swordfighter for Dimitri Rascalov, and Gunner for Claude. And colorswaps for Edelgard.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
So it turns out Edelgard (and at least one other anime character) isn't being voiced by Cristina Vee anymore.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

No idea why it happened, but it's a damn shame.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So it turns out Edelgard (and at least one other anime character) isn't being voiced by Cristina Vee anymore.

That's a shame. Maybe we will get an idea as to why when we hear who they got as replacements.

D

Deleted member

She didn'

Am I reading that wrong? She didn't say anything about Edelgard.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
She didn'

Am I reading that wrong? She didn't say anything about Edelgard.
She responded to that guy's tweet to also confirm that she's not voicing Edelgard.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
At the very least she confirmed there was no bad blood.

I'd speculate about it possibly being due to Union issues since Nintendo doesn't like working with voice actor unions, but it also affecting that anime has me wondering.

It seems the people who thought the "Forward, now!" didn't sound like her were right.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So the game was shown off at E3 and

There's a timeskip to 5 years later and all the students are at each other's throats. Well, Edlegard and Dmitiri are at each other's throats, Claude just wants everyone to realise he's finally grown a beard. Time travel may be involved.

I know it's supposed to have and evil Empress vibe but I really like timeskip Edlegarde's outfit.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

There's a timeskip to 5 years later and all the students are at each other's throats. Well, Edlegard and Dmitiri are at each other's throats, Claude just wants everyone to realise he's finally grown a beard. Time travel may be involved.

At 1:12, the girl says "both sides of time are revealed to you." This makes me think you'll get to switch between the present and future Ocarina of Time style.

Serialkillerwhale

Smash Cadet
Imagine it though, being able to choose between the lighter Student Edelgard and the full-on heavyweight Ike-Is-A-Pansy-*****-I-Arm-Wrestle-Dragons-And-Win Empress of Adrestia Edelgard

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

I know it's supposed to have and evil Empress vibe but I really like timeskip Edlegarde's outfit.
Dark, it's dark, not evil. Doesn't hurt that there's a number of conspicuously placed hearts on it for some reason. I get Naesala vibes moreso than Micaiah where she's prepared to do anything for the good of her people even it drives her reputation and/or that of her kingdom in the mud.

Here's how I currently theorize the plot to go down: during the 5-year period between meetings (a really dumb idea if you think about it, it's way too long with no interaction; probably a ploy by corrupt members), the true villains sow seeds of mistrust and discord between the three kingdoms. Dimitri gets the worst of it with an assassin encounter costing him his eye and becoming very bitter. Edelgard ends up becoming a shut-in and numb to the concerns of people outside her empire. Claude on the other hand doesn't suffer nearly as much, perhaps due to the nature of the Leicester Alliance not putting nearly as much pressure on him as a leader, and possibly the villains don't end up trying as hard to mess with them due to being somewhat out of the way. Come the meeting tensions are at a boiling point and war breaks out. Eventually Edelgard puts a stop to the intial all-out conflict by nuking several factions, which pushes Dimitri over the edge and he swears to destroy the Ardrestian Empire in vengeance. While he throws every last resource he has at them, Claude manages to sneak in Edelgard's castle and plead with her to stop the fighting and remember the good times they all had (yeah it's cheesy, but so is his friendship speech). She breaks down and he offers forgiveness. Meanwhile, Dimitri ends up losing everything when most of his troops get killed in his campaign of vengeance and what few remain (the classmates) end up deserting him; this where we see him alone in a deserted city where Claude finds him. With the three reunited they're able to team up and take down the great evil, though not without cost.

None of this overarching plot changes depending on which house you pick; all that changes is which faction's perspective you see throughout the whole future campaign. Byleth certainly doesn't have much say in the matters of kingdoms after all, he's mainly serving as a tactician and teacher, the most control you have being who lives to fight another day. And in the meantime, you can return to the present to further train/readjust party members (the changes will be reflected in future versions), ultimately fighting through the bad future to try and find clues and stop the villain's plot in the present to prevent it from ever happening.

Said it before, but the main theme of the game is how isolation and loneliness are dangerous and can lead one to make poor decisions based on fear and mistrust and/or naivete.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Dark, it's dark, not evil. Doesn't hurt that there's a number of conspicuously placed hearts on it for some reason. I get Naesala vibes moreso than Micaiah where she's prepared to do anything for the good of her people even it drives her reputation and/or that of her kingdom in the mud.

Here's how I currently theorize the plot to go down: during the 5-year period between meetings (a really dumb idea if you think about it, it's way too long with no interaction; probably a ploy by corrupt members), the true villains sow seeds of mistrust and discord between the three kingdoms. Dimitri gets the worst of it with an assassin encounter costing him his eye and becoming very bitter. Edelgard ends up becoming a shut-in and numb to the concerns of people outside her empire. Claude on the other hand doesn't suffer nearly as much, perhaps due to the nature of the Leicester Alliance not putting nearly as much pressure on him as a leader, and possibly the villains don't end up trying as hard to mess with them due to being somewhat out of the way. Come the meeting tensions are at a boiling point and war breaks out. Eventually Edelgard puts a stop to the intial all-out conflict by nuking several factions, which pushes Dimitri over the edge and he swears to destroy the Ardrestian Empire in vengeance. While he throws every last resource he has at them, Claude manages to sneak in Edelgard's castle and plead with her to stop the fighting and remember the good times they all had (yeah it's cheesy, but so is his friendship speech). She breaks down and he offers forgiveness. Meanwhile, Dimitri ends up losing everything when most of his troops get killed in his campaign of vengeance and what few remain (the classmates) end up deserting him; this where we see him alone in a deserted city where Claude finds him. With the three reunited they're able to team up and take down the great evil, though not without cost.

None of this overarching plot changes depending on which house you pick; all that changes is which faction's perspective you see throughout the whole future campaign. Byleth certainly doesn't have much say in the matters of kingdoms after all, he's mainly serving as a tactician and teacher, the most control you have being who lives to fight another day. And in the meantime, you can return to the present to further train/readjust party members (the changes will be reflected in future versions), ultimately fighting through the bad future to try and find clues and stop the villain's plot in the present to prevent it from ever happening.

Said it before, but the main theme of the game is how isolation and loneliness are dangerous and can lead one to make poor decisions based on fear and mistrust and/or naivete.
Okay then, but how do you think Edelgard having two routes would effect all of this? We heard about it in the leak.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Hey all, it's great that you're trying to avoid spoiling anyone, but try to keep spoiler tags to actual spoilers to avoid confusion. Stuff revealed in official trailers isn't spoilers. If a person doesn't want to see that, they shouldn't be coming to a place like this in the first place. Leak-based stuff is an example of what should remain under spoilers.

Anyway, I like Edelgard's post time skip design except for the hair. Not a fan of the Leia locks. She got boobs, though.

Still romancing her if she's an option for F!Byleth.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hey all, it's great that you're trying to avoid spoiling anyone, but try to keep spoiler tags to actual spoilers to avoid confusion. Stuff revealed in official trailers isn't spoilers. If a person doesn't want to see that, they shouldn't be coming to a place like this in the first place. Leak-based stuff is an example of what should remain under spoilers.

Anyway, I like Edelgard's post time skip design except for the hair. Not a fan of the Leia locks. She got boobs, though.

Still romancing her if she's an option for F!Byleth.
Well, I'm posting speculation of what I think will happen in the story, and that should probably remain hidden just on the off-chance my theories are even 10% correct or something.

I will say that I'm hoping there's only one actual story going on with the only effect choosing a house has is which kingdom's perspective you see things from because I feel that'd lead to better writing in general and better characterization for Byleth, being someone who has the power to see the future and potentially change it, but is currently powerless to do so until he survives long enough to find the clues that will ultimately allow him to. If we get different stories with every faction, then I fear we'll get a repeat of Fates where the story bends over backwards to make Byleth's (and those of his chosen house) actions right and justified.

As for that leak...

Okay then, but how do you think Edelgard having two routes would effect all of this? We heard about it in the leak.
Simple. At some point in Edelgard's campaign she defers to Byleth on how to proceed with a given matter, and the choice you make results in you playing through one of two sets of levels. Ultimately though, they end up reconverging, not unlike Subspace Emissary where you rescue either Peach or Zelda. Does the leak mention multiple endings too?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, I'm posting speculation of what I think will happen in the story, and that should probably remain hidden just on the off-chance my theories are even 10% correct or something.

I will say that I'm hoping there's only one actual story going on with the only effect choosing a house has is which kingdom's perspective you see things from because I feel that'd lead to better writing in general and better characterization for Byleth, being someone who has the power to see the future and potentially change it, but is currently powerless to do so until he survives long enough to find the clues that will ultimately allow him to. If we get different stories with every faction, then I fear we'll get a repeat of Fates where the story bends over backwards to make Byleth's (and those of his chosen house) actions right and justified.

As for that leak...

Simple. At some point in Edelgard's campaign she defers to Byleth on how to proceed with a given matter, and the choice you make results in you playing through one of two sets of levels. Ultimately though, they end up reconverging, not unlike Subspace Emissary where you rescue either Peach or Zelda. Does the leak mention multiple endings too?
I don't exactly recall, but that is what people ended up thinking, so I assume that is what was suggested. I am mobile, so I can't exactly check. You are welcome to of course.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't exactly recall, but that is what people ended up thinking, so I assume that is what was suggested. I am mobile, so I can't exactly check. You are welcome to of course.
Ugh. Four paths and no convergence according to Thani. And neutral at best for Edelgard? Way to make picking anyone but Golden Deer feel bad. I want my support for the characters fighting to be fueled by more than personal taste... guess I'll just have to reserve judgment until I learn what exactly is Edelgard's goal in this path. But mark my words, if only one house leads to a good conclusion, I'll be playing Dragon Quest XI instead.

Top Bottom