• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Black Eagles House Leader

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
She is certainly one of the more stand out members in design. The other standout I have noticed among the community is Bernadetta, who would be my choice.

I do have to ask, why is there a fusion of Lyn and Reinhard in the Black Eagles? I say this because she is literally named Linhardt and looks the part.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I wonder if whoever gets picked from Three Houses to be in Smash will end up being something of a ''master-of-arms'' using a wide variety of weapons, to reflect how customizable everyone is in that game. For extra flavor, successfully using certain weapons enough times lets level up it's proficiency letting you do more damage with all moves involving it. That would even include summoning members of the unit's backup squad to attack.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, maybe I am not the first one to point this out in the community, but something is kinda weird about the house names. The Blue Lions and Golden Deer both have names that share their color, but the Black Eagles obviously do not have any reference to their red coloring. Is their some sort of meaning behind that or am I thinking about this too much?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You know, maybe I am not the first one to point this out in the community, but something is kinda weird about the house names. The Blue Lions and Golden Deer both have names that share their color, but the Black Eagles obviously do not have any reference to their red coloring. Is their some sort of meaning behind that or am I thinking about this too much?
Maybe there's a hidden elemental preference in each of the three major lands: the Blue Lion's is ice (particularly as we know their land is frigid), Golden Deer's is lightning and Black Eagle's is fire; being farthest to the south probably means they have a warmer climate. Using black in the name could be part cooler sounding and black often juxtaposing with red to represent fire and smoke. I know this because of the reasoning behind this guy:

Not to mention, fire/ice/lighting trios are exceedingly common in JRPGS.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Maybe there's a hidden elemental preference in each of the three major lands: the Blue Lion's is ice (particularly as we know their land is frigid), Golden Deer's is lightning and Black Eagle's is fire; being farthest to the south probably means they have a warmer climate. Using black in the name could be part cooler sounding and black often juxtaposing with red to represent fire and smoke. I know this because of the reasoning behind this guy:

Not to mention, fire/ice/lighting trios are exceedingly common in JRPGS.
That would make sense, but I wonder if the name difference is a subtle hint at something more when it comes to the Adrestian Empire. The fact that Nintendo has put the most focus on Edelgard and the Black Eagles so far also makes me wonder as well.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That would make sense, but I wonder if the name difference is a subtle hint at something more when it comes to the Adrestian Empire. The fact that Nintendo has put the most focus on Edelgard and the Black Eagles so far also makes me wonder as well.
Frankly, I'd be disappointed if there's favoritism in any way to one of the kingdoms in-game. Perhaps the houses also function as a kind of difficulty select, with Black Eagles offering easier and more straightforward missions like Birthright did.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
If we got Edelgard, I'd hope that we'd get Claude and Dmitri as alternate costumes.

Or, maybe, to illustrate the different weapon types and the customizable nature of the students in Three Houses, we'd get a three-person character like Pokemon Trainer. With each House Head jumping in with a different weapon changing with down B. Like Edelgard uses an axe (As she's shown using in the Direct's trailer), Claude jumps in with a Lance, and Dmitri uses something else that isn't a sword (There's a ton of options here, and the sky's the limit!). That's honestly a pie in the sky hope but I'm thinking that if Sakurai is going to put a Three Houses rep in as one of the premium DLC characters, he'll have to really make it worth it or else the community will be irritated. We have a ton of options. Heck, maybe all three can be different kinds of riding. Edelgard on a Pegasus, Claude on horseback, and Dmitri on Wyvern, all with different pro's and cons.

1550592418988.png

Plus we need more "transforming" characters. They're the best

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
True transformations are most likely going to stay with Trainer and only Trainer. They had a chance to put Zelda and Sheik back together but consciously chose not to. Trainer gets it because switching is an integral mechanic to Pokemon... can't say the same for Fire Emblem. As for costumes, how do you deal with Edelgard's height difference or balance three characters with eight costumes? Finally, what would mounting really do aside from make them bigger targets?

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
True transformations are most likely going to stay with Trainer and only Trainer. They had a chance to put Zelda and Sheik back together but consciously chose not to. Trainer gets it because switching is an integral mechanic to Pokemon... can't say the same for Fire Emblem. As for costumes, how do you deal with Edelgard's height difference or balance three characters with eight costumes? Finally, what would mounting really do aside from make them bigger targets?
It's just an idea, is all. I love transforming characters and would be stoked to see more. You're right about the height difference thing though, that will make the transforming thing the better idea.

As for the mounting, it'll at the very least make them very unique. The movement style will be very different from the other characters in the game- just look at Bowser Jr. Everyone dreaded his inclusion until we saw he was in the clown car and then he got a lot more interesting. Regardless of his actual tier placement at the moment, anyway.

It's just an idea- Three Houses seems to be implying that all three choices are equal, it wouldn't make as much sense just to pick one of the three randomly

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's just an idea, is all. I love transforming characters and would be stoked to see more. You're right about the height difference thing though, that will make the transforming thing the better idea.

As for the mounting, it'll at the very least make them very unique. The movement style will be very different from the other characters in the game- just look at Bowser Jr. Everyone dreaded his inclusion until we saw he was in the clown car and then he got a lot more interesting. Regardless of his actual tier placement at the moment, anyway.

It's just an idea- Three Houses seems to be implying that all three choices are equal, it wouldn't make as much sense just to pick one of the three randomly
They may "move differently" when mounted (and flying ones would get a couple extra jumps at least), but at the end of the day they're still just swinging blades on sticks like all the other lords, and unlike Jr. with his myriad gadgets and tricks. And now that I think about it, how are they supposed to grab people?

Pokemon starter trios are treated equal in the games, but it's a completely different story outside of them. Charizard and Greninja are indisputably more popular compared to those surrounding them, and it could easily happen here too... though it may not necessarily be Edelgard despite Nintendo seemingly pushing her.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I imagine some part of the church would be the stage for Edelgard. This perspective could easily change when we get to see even more of the game, but the church is pretty much guaranteed to be one of the most important locations.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
She is certainly one of the more stand out members in design. The other standout I have noticed among the community is Bernadetta, who would be my choice.

I do have to ask, why is there a fusion of Lyn and Reinhard in the Black Eagles? I say this because she is literally named Linhardt and looks the part.
Why do the names given to magic skills refer to the traits mentioned in the GBA games as being necessary to wield them? Faith for light (healing in this game) magic, knowledge for the rest (who knows if dark tomes are options). Probably just cute references. Also adding onto my theory of Black Eagles specializing in fire, Edelgard is seen manifesting some red kind of magic circle in the trailer.

You know, I imagine some part of the church would be the stage for Edelgard. This perspective could easily change when we get to see even more of the game, but the church is pretty much guaranteed to be one of the most important locations.
''Edelgard, I appreciate you bringing so many war heroes from across the ages and continents in our church to inspire our students, but could you tell them to stop launching people everywhere and breaking stuff outside the sparring chambers? We have to teach these youths the basics before they can even begin to think about doing stuff like that and it goes for you too.''

That students of different houses interact with each other regardless of your choice and at least in the case of the tournaments is integral to the progression of your units gives me further belief there won't ever be a full blown conflict between the three kingdoms, only disagreements at worst. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to continue allowing them during a war.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I think it's more that switching is integral to the trainer. Even if Sakurai were willing to put Squirtle and Ivysaur in alone, the trainer can only really exist as we have them, and "Everyone is here" includes the trainer.

But I do agree that I don't see any other transformation characters happening.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Interesting. It's been caught by a few people on the internet, but rewatching the direct info trailer and the E3 trailer seems to suggest that Edelgard's voice actress has been other darrin'd. Now Edelgard sounds less like Cristina Vee and more like Tara Platt. Pay attention to when Edelgard shouts "Forward, now!", that is definitely a different voice actress.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Why do the names given to magic skills refer to the traits mentioned in the GBA games as being necessary to wield them? Faith for light (healing in this game) magic, knowledge for the rest (who knows if dark tomes are options). Probably just cute references. Also adding onto my theory of Black Eagles specializing in fire, Edelgard is seen manifesting some red kind of magic circle in the trailer.

''Edelgard, I appreciate you bringing so many war heroes from across the ages and continents in our church to inspire our students, but could you tell them to stop launching people everywhere and breaking stuff outside the sparring chambers? We have to teach these youths the basics before they can even begin to think about doing stuff like that and it goes for you too.''

That students of different houses interact with each other regardless of your choice and at least in the case of the tournaments is integral to the progression of your units gives me further belief there won't ever be a full blown conflict between the three kingdoms, only disagreements at worst. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to continue allowing them during a war.
First, I had to lol at Byleth chiding Edelgard for bringing Smash to Carreg Mach. Second, I agree that there isn’t likely to be a full-scale war between the three major nations — the antagonistic forces are likely to be either corrupt elements of the government(s)/Church (the trailer mentioned suppressing rebellions, which are probably happening for a reason) and/or some combination of those four small nations at the edges of the map. Seriously, Morfic looks like an Expy of Dread Isle to me...

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
The official Japanese boxart for Three Houses just got revealed:

They are really trying to emphasize the significance of the house leaders.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Yeah, they certainly are more prominent than the player character in this art.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Really surprised with the art.
I like it a lot.
I was expecting like the church people in the background, the three house leaders in distress and Byleth with a mean look on his face in a battle pose or something like that.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Man, they are seriously commited to axe Edelgard, aren't they? The other two have different weapons at times but never her. How many of you are actually planning to follow through with this in the game proper?

It's obvious the lords will be the driving force considering how silent your protagonist seems to be (and because larger matters of the kingdoms are likely none of your bee's wax), but then again Robin had an arguably bigger role in his game yet is completely absent from Awakening's box art to my knowledge. Right now Byleth is somewhere between him and Mark from Blazing Sword, actually crucial to the plot but with a mostly blank slate of a personality for you to fill in.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Yeah, they certainly are more prominent than the player character in this art.
Now that's interesting. Suddenly the box art has revitalized my hope for Edelgard being a possible newcomer :)

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC

Here's the Japanese special edition steelbook. The artist for both the steelbook and Special Edition box? NieR: Automata's concept artist Kazuma Koda. Why couldn't he draw the regular box art?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Here's the Japanese special edition steelbook. The artist for both the steelbook and Special Edition box? NieR: Automata's concept artist Kazuma Koda. Why couldn't he draw the regular box art?
Because there'd be less incentive to buy the special edition then.

The box arts seem to suggest a preferred weapon for each lord: axe for Edelgard, lance for Dmitri and bow for Claude (that's a first). Meanwhile it's Byleth that still gets a sword. Is this a concerted effort to break away from lords using swords all the time? It'll be interesting to see if these preferences are translated in-game. Otherwise, it's just cool to see these three working with each other, seemingly regardless of which house you choose to teach.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I just got around to listening to the main theme of FE TH just now and both versions of the song are really good. It is certainly a bit different from past themes. It does make me curious of the story and the possible character behind the lyrics as well.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You know, I just got around to listening to the main theme of FE TH just now and both versions of the song are really good. It is certainly a bit different from past themes. It does make me curious of the story and the possible character behind the lyrics as well.
Probably another manakete not as fortunate as Sothis (though it could easily apply to her. Who knows how long she had to sit on that throne alone in what is apparent darkness). Recall there was a girl near the end of the trailer with similar eyes to Sothis but red and markedly different hair.

Maybe the theme of the game is the dangers of isolation. The church is a place for people in the three kingdoms to intermingle and are clearly better off for it, but people working for the church itself likely don't get the same opportunities as often, if it isn't outright discouraged, which could result in some skewed perceptions motivating rebel factions.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just wanted to drop in and say I would love for Edelgard to make it into Smash. While non-FE fans would groan at another character, I think everyone could at least appreciate that she'd be pretty unique for a FE character in Smash--in fact, we don't really have any axe users anyway (unless you count Simon/Richter).

Also, however, I think that boxart is ridiculous and I hope it's different outside of Japan.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Just wanted to drop in and say I would love for Edelgard to make it into Smash. While non-FE fans would groan at another character, I think everyone could at least appreciate that she'd be pretty unique for a FE character in Smash--in fact, we don't really have any axe users anyway (unless you count Simon/Richter).

Also, however, I think that boxart is ridiculous and I hope it's different outside of Japan.
I don't think using an axe alone is going to dissuade those affected by the Fire Emblem stigma; she'd mostly just be a tweaked Ike if anything. But by playing with the idea of characters being even more customizable than before, we could have something very unique on our hands.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord

You've been added!

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
As a Fire Emblem fan, I would love for Edelgard to be in Smash. Just as long as she's an axe wielder, I don't think too many people would have any gripes with her. Most of the hate for the "too many FE characters" bandwagon is from people who simply don't like the all the echos/semi-echoes. Which I think is fair, 4 out of the 7 FE characters in Smash right now play very similarly, which is reasonable to get ticked off at.

But if Edelgard has an original moveset and playstyle, I feel that she would be (mostly) welcomed with open arms.

D

Deleted member

I don't think using an axe alone is going to dissuade those affected by the Fire Emblem stigma; she'd mostly just be a tweaked Ike if anything. But by playing with the idea of characters being even more customizable than before, we could have something very unique on our hands.
On the one hand you're right about Edelgard just being a heavy-hitting weapon-wielder like Ike.....but also, people mostly just want to play as their favorite characters. I didn't play Peach much because I'm not a Peach fan. But now that Daisy is in Smash? Heck yes I love playing as Daisy! See what I mean? And a lot of characters are like that. At the end of the day it's just hit/hurt boxes that are dressed up real pretty.

As for Edelgard representing a fully customizable unit, I would also be very much down with that, and she could, much like Robin, serve to better showcase some mechanics of actual Fire Emblem games. Also, that happens to be something I'm just very much looking forward to about Three Houses because I love me some customization.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
A new scan from Famitsu showcases some new artwork of most of the main characters:

1555967703809.png

We should be getting weekly news about the game itself via Famitsu soon as they also did weekly updates for Warriors and SoV.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So, the most common skillsets Edelgard seems to have are axemanship (of course), magic, and authority. If she gets in, do you think the latter might show up in her moveset? Like, allowing her to briefly summon other soldiers for an attack formation?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Official artwork!

Breakdown of the Famitsu article.

We should now be getting more updates regularly.
So black/dark magic is part of the Knowledge skillset after all. And with the Black Eagles having an affinity for it... well, it certainly explains their name now. At first I thought the three colors might represent three elements, but instead it looks like we have a different traditional trio: the classic Fighter-Mage-Thief. Black Eagles are the Mage, Blue Lions are the Fighter (knights are the tanky, hard-hitting physical class of Fire Emblem) and Golden Deers are the Thief (archers are known for high skill and ideally, speed). You can defy this with customization of course, but it won't change the preferences of the members within. To go with this, classes in this game are used not so much for their weapon types, but just skills and stats.

So, the most common skillsets Edelgard seems to have are axemanship (of course), magic, and authority. If she gets in, do you think the latter might show up in her moveset? Like, allowing her to briefly summon other soldiers for an attack formation?
Almost certainly, albeit probably in a smaller, more compact form like Olimar only using three Pikmin max. It's a brand-new feature for Fire Emblem, which I'm fairly certain the devs are going to be much more discerning of for Smash Fire Emblem characters going forward. I still stand by my master-of-arms with weapon leveling idea, though now knowing Edelgard's preferences, I think we can leave out bows (magic handles ranged combat well enough), light magic and maybe lances since that's Blue Lion specialty. Something like gauntlets for jabs, sword for tilts, axe for smashes and magic/authority on specials.

D

Deleted member

Edelgard's official in-game character portrait looks great, but in every other illustration they keep giving her these bug-alien eyes. Not liking the art of whoever keeps depicting her that way.

D

Deleted member

Whew man she's getting a lot of hate there. Kind of depressing to be reminded how much Smash players hate Fire Emblem, which is ironic because it's only because of Smash that there is a fanbase here in the west. Well I think Ness and Lucas are dumb so I guess it's evened out.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, I have heard a possible leak for Three Houses has came out from an apparantly reputable source.

Top Bottom