• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Black Eagles House Leader

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Quick Question! Does this girl also use a sword (In addition to reusing all of Marth's moves)!
As of right now, we know that she can use an axe, magic (iirc), and a sword.
Can't comment on how she fights w/ a sword, since we've only seen her use an axe in gameplay.

But on a separate note, add me to the list of supporters (I'm surprised I haven't posted here yet). I'm personally rooting for either her or Anna to get in as DLC.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Quick Question! Does this girl also use a sword (In addition to reusing all of Marth's moves)!
Considering Sakurai has already said we wouldn't be getting echoes in the fighter's pass we 100% know that Edelgard would not use all of Marth's moves in her moveset. Please don't come into a support thread and try to stir up trouble by making a baseless claim that she would be just a Marth clone when you already know she won't.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Considering Sakurai has already said we wouldn't be getting echoes in the fighter's pass we 100% know that Edelgard would not use all of Marth's moves in her moveset. Please don't come into a support thread and try to stir up trouble by making a baseless claim that she would be just a Marth clone when you already know she won't.
Except Sakurai doesn't consider the likes of Falco to be echoes so, while more of a distinction than Daisy is confirmed, we cannot say with certainty that she'd be an entirely unique fighter, either. I certainly hope for the best, though, if she does make it.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Except Sakurai doesn't consider the likes of Falco to be echoes so, while more of a distinction than Daisy is confirmed, we cannot say with certainty that she'd be an entirely unique fighter, either. I certainly hope for the best, though, if she does make it.
No we can't rule out a semi-clone but I strongly suspect that was not what the guy I was replying to was suggesting Edelgard would be. On top of that I personally suspect Edelgard would not be a semi-clone even if she for some reason uses a sword. If they don't think they can differentiate her I just don't think they would add her.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
This could be it. Here's hoping if we somehow do get a Three Houses rep in this Direct that it's Edelgard.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
This could be it. Here's hoping if we somehow do get a Three Houses rep in this Direct that it's Edelgard.
Can't see why it wouldn't be. She's the main character of the new game, isn't she?

No we can't rule out a semi-clone but I strongly suspect that was not what the guy I was replying to was suggesting Edelgard would be. On top of that I personally suspect Edelgard would not be a semi-clone even if she for some reason uses a sword. If they don't think they can differentiate her I just don't think they would add her.
"Semi clone" is still a dire fate for any character but I agree. It's probably not what was meant and logic would definitely dictate that they only add highly distinct FE characters at this point. I'm just a little worried after Female Marth, though.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Can't see why it wouldn't be. She's the main character of the new game, isn't she?
From what I understand, Byleth seems to be considered as the true main character of the game technically. We still don't know all the details though so hopefully the Direct clears things up.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Ah, I'll finally have more to add to this thread tomorrow. Unless Edelgard just straight up gets confirmed for Smash, anyway.

From what I understand, Byleth seems to be considered as the true main character of the game technically. We still don't know all the details though so hopefully the Direct clears things up.
We don't know enough details to say this conclusively yet. We've had a situation where the avatar character was the protagonist (Corrin) and two where they were more of a sidekick to the protagonist (Robin, Kris).

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Direct starts in about 5 minutes. Even if we don't get anything regarding Edelgard being in Smash at least we're guaranteed some (hopefully) good Three Houses info. Good luck everyone.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
No one will join team blue. Team Edelgard for life.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Some things look different compared to when the game was announced, like the protagonist and the mystery girl. It's refreshing to have a Fire Emblem where multiple kingdoms aren't at each other's throats for a change, but knowing Edelgard is part of a trio kind of puts a damper on her chances. In fact, with how customizable everyone seems to be I'm doubting anyone from this game will be added until a clear fan favourite arises. We still know basically nothing about Edelgard as a character and it seems silly to like her more just for being the first to be shown, among other surface-level reasons.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Some things look different compared to when the game was announced, like the protagonist and the mystery girl. It's refreshing to have a Fire Emblem where multiple kingdoms aren't at each other's throats for a change, but knowing Edelgard is part of a trio kind of puts a damper on her chances. In fact, with how customizable everyone seems to be I'm doubting anyone from this game will be added until a clear fan favourite arises. We still know basically nothing about Edelgard as a character and it seems silly to like her more just for being the first to be shown, among other surface-level reasons.
I don't know, it kinda felt like there was subtle Edelgard pushes in there. Someone, count how much screen time each of the tree house characters got.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I kind of have a bit less hope for Edelgard, because of the house system and the main characters being the teachers.
I hope that's unjustified and they'd really consider her for dlc, but anyway, at last we got to see more of the game.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
1. 1/4 through game expect big war bad and by 2/3 - 3/4 you get the other’s back.

2. It’s clear Edelgard is the favorite, she had by far the most screantime.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't know, it kinda felt like there was subtle Edelgard pushes in there. Someone, count how much screen time each of the tree house characters got.
Maybe, but would it really be for reasons anyone wants to hear at this stage? The only thing we know about her definitively at this point is she's a girl.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Maybe, but would it really be for reasons anyone wants to hear at this stage? The only thing we know about her definitively at this point is she's a girl.
She’s also from best team, an actual empire. I don’t want some trade federation stuff or Scandinavia.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Meh. I admit Edelgard's probably going to be my first choice too based on early impressions, I just happen know the reasons are very superficial on my part and prone to change.

I just hope the narrative will be nuanced and not too biased based on the side you pick. The reason I feel this game bucking the trend of conflicting kingdoms is that usually the games tell you right off the bat if there's lots of tensions. Right now we have no real reasons and they aren't even trying to hide the greater evil. The other things we know we'll be fighting are bandits and ''rebel forces'', whether or not they're within your kingdom only, they're not the kinds of threats other kingdoms will be held too accountable for.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Meh. I admit Edelgard's probably going to be my first choice too based on early impressions, I just happen know the reasons are very superficial on my part and prone to change.

I just hope the narrative will be nuanced and not too biased based on the side you pick. The reason I feel this game bucking the trend of conflicting kingdoms is that usually the games tell you right off the bat if there's lots of tensions. Right now we have no real reasons and they aren't even trying to hide the greater evil. The other things we know we'll be fighting are bandits and ''rebel forces'', whether or not they're within your kingdom only, they're not the kinds of threats other kingdoms will be held too accountable for.
I get the feeling that the greater evil might be one of the four smaller nations on the sides of the map — Albinea, Sreng, Almyra, and Morfic. (Note that those four names might be completely misspelled, since I can't read ye olde cursive fonte very well.) My money is on Morfic, since it totally sounds like Mordor.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Alright, made a few updates to the OP (still not much to be said, though) and added a supporters list. I only added to the supporter list the people who seemed sure about supporting, but if I didn't add you and you want to be on, just let me know! Or if you're there and don't want to be, let me know and I'll remove you.

I'm excited for Three Houses. The wait until July will be rough. And I'm absolutely getting the special edition. I've gotten every special edition available for any FE game, even Warriors, and I'm not about to stop here.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Personally, I also think that the My Unit Teacher would become the playable character of Three Houses, if we get any. He’s more of a neutral character, and doesn’t represent a House and is the main character.

Anyway, the game got me curious! It releases two days before my birthday as well. But a shame it’s a summer release because Fire Emblem is TOO COMFY and perfectly suited for winter / fall days.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just want to run this by everyone, I am quite surprised that I prefer the male design of Byleth.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I just want to run this by everyone, I am quite surprised that I prefer the male design of Byleth.
I prefer Male Blyeth too. Female Blyeth looks dead inside and not in a good way/.

Personally, I also think that the My Unit Teacher would become the playable character of Three Houses, if we get any. He’s more of a neutral character, and doesn’t represent a House and is the main character.
I feel that Blyeth has their own share of downsides towards inclusion that you are kinda glossing over.

While Byleth is the central character to TH, it is clear that Edelgard, Dmitri, and Claude all are going to be key characters. They fill the traditional lord archetypes for their houses respectively. Furthermore, it is clear there is a certain... favoritism Nintendo has for the Adressian empire. We know the most characters from there respectively, and Edelgard takes up way more time in trailers than Dmitri and Claude.

Furthrmore, Blyeth's design works against them. Blyeth's weapon and design do not add anything new to Smash, which is something that Sakurai looks for when designing a character. Seeing Edelgard with a more unique design and an axe is something that tbh I can see catching his eye.

Finally, a neutral choice is kinda dead tbh after :ultgreninja: and :ultincineroar: .

Also I can't wait for the inevitable war to divide the three houses apart completely and we have to all unite for friendship and stuff.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I prefer Male Blyeth too. Female Blyeth looks dead inside and not in a good way/.

I feel that Blyeth has their own share of downsides towards inclusion that you are kinda glossing over.

While Byleth is the central character to TH, it is clear that Edelgard, Dmitri, and Claude all are going to be key characters. They fill the traditional lord archetypes for their houses respectively. Furthermore, it is clear there is a certain... favoritism Nintendo has for the Adressian empire. We know the most characters from there respectively, and Edelgard takes up way more time in trailers than Dmitri and Claude.

Furthrmore, Blyeth's design works against them. Blyeth's weapon and design do not add anything new to Smash, which is something that Sakurai looks for when designing a character. Seeing Edelgard with a more unique design and an axe is something that tbh I can see catching his eye.

Finally, a neutral choice is kinda dead tbh after :ultgreninja: and :ultincineroar: .

Also I can't wait for the inevitable war to divide the three houses apart completely and we have to all unite for friendship and stuff.
It's the leggings man. The male Byleth actually looks like he is ready to teach some military classes.

It's also very clear that Nintendo is pushing Edelgard. In every trailer so far she has been the most prominent, she is always the example house and her kingdom is both the biggest and an actual empire.

D

Deleted member

Could Three Houses be a good option as a first Fire Emblem game to play?

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Count me in as a supporter!

there's now 3 FE characters I want in Smash
By the way, you can count me as a supporter Parallel_Falchion Parallel_Falchion .
Added both of you.

That's actually been a common sentiment. Female Byleth's design is all sorts of wacky. There's the random belly button hole, lack of proper sleeves, the awful leggings, are those hot pants? And is she wearing a push-up bra?

I'm still playing female because that's just always how I prefer to play when given the choice but I reeeeeally wouldn't mind some aesthetic changes.

Could Three Houses be a good option as a first Fire Emblem game to play?
We really can't say for sure yet as we don't know a lot about the game, but it will probably be fine as a first game, though it does look rather different from most FEs.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
With Incineroar and Greninja being characters, I have no doubt that Nintendo could easily say "pick one of these three" with these characters, and it's obvious the devs like Edelgard the most and she'll likely have the most development.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Am not really sure about this all. Blyeth seems a bit like Robin, and Edelgard, Dmitri and Claude seem comparable to Ryoma, Xander and Azura in a way. Am talking about their general role in the game and all.

I think it’s probably too early to tell.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Man, Edelgard is pretty short compared to the other house leaders. Also I guess the addition of gauntlets allows the possibility of new Fire Emblem characters to be brawlers instead of swordies (which I'd argue an axe would still count as). Maybe it'll function as a melee weapon outside the triangle?

I can't tell if Axe Edelgard was just a random choice made at E3 that they chose to run with after seeing fans latch onto it, or if they always saw her as an axe user just to try and break the supposed ''sword & lance Lord rut''.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Question, who is your favorite student of the Black Eagles based upon what we have seen so far? And if you say Edelgard herself, put in your second favorite as well.

Top Bottom