• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Echo Characters"

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Ninten
Dixie
Akuma/Ken

Shadow
And maybe Isabelle (could be unique)

Most likely echos as of now

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Shadow and Ken's chances seem to have shot up exponentially, between Chrom being more different from Roy then Dark Pit/Lucina are from their origin characters, and Simon Belmont having Richter showing that third party characters can have more then one character via an echo.

Last edited:

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Shadow, Ken and Ms. Pac-Man would be my next picks for Echoes. Rounds up the 3rd party Echoes nicely, Richter for Konami, Shadow for Sega, Ken for Capcom and Ms. Pac-Man for Namco. As we've seen with Chrom now, Echoes are even allowed at least one move different from the one they're and Echo of, so that somewhat ups the possibilities of what they could do. I've seen Mewtwo's Teleport being suggested for Shadow's Up-B.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Here's some Echo fighters I Still Want:
A. Galacta Knight(Meta Knight's Echo Fighter)
B. Evil Ryu AND/OR Akuma(Ryu Echo Fighter)
C. Dixie Kong(Diddy's Girlfriend & Echo Fighter)
D. Funky Kong(Donkey Kong's Echo Fighter)
E. Hilda (Zelda's Echo Fighter; especially since Zelda has her ALBW Incarnation, which also Debuts her Lorulian Counterpart, Queen Hilda)

Smithn

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4332 5240 6154
I'd love Black Shadow as an echo, he could be akin to melee dorf now that current dorf is less of a clone.

I could also see: Shadow, Ken, Big Boss or MGS2 Raiden, Isabelle, Yarn Yoshi (could also be a costume), Dixie, Jeanne, and Hilda

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
ow and Ken. My only concern with Impa though, is now that the Moon from Majora's Mask is an assist trophy is that paving the way for Skull Kid? I like the Oc
i don't think it have changed anything regarding echoImpa. The only way Skull kid is happening is like an original character.

I think that the driving force behind echoes will be mostly that they will try to make them fight as closely as posible regarding the echoed character, while going full about aesthetics changes that fleshes their different personalities. I really think that both richter and daisy will fight almost the same as their echoes, hence why so much effort have been put into stuff like their animations.

this is because adding another stage for example, is a set ammount of work, because stages interactions between them doesn't need to be adjusted. seems with assist trophies.

on teh other hand, every character you add, means that ammount of work for other characters rises. if you can add a character withouth having this ammount of work rising, like say, marth lucina, where they interact almost the same for the rest of teh roster, you can really call those characters "freebies". thats why i think some of the echoes gameplay will be almost the same as teh original, and thats why they aren't echo fighters...

Chrom seems to be the most extreme of this cases though. i doubt we will see something more extreme that chrom (unless he keeps teh reverse tipper mechanic).

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
The Ones We Already Got

Mario series got Dasiy, I don't think there is anyone else that can surprise us on that front as I can't really think of anyone else that'd work as a Echo. Paper Mario would be a rather strange one.

Fire Emblem got Chrom, just about anyone with a sword from the series could be another Echo. But I think Chrom is all we're getting in base roster for Fire Emblem, he deserves his day.

Metroid got Dark Samus, I'm not seeing anything else for Metroid this go around as that's already two characters.

And Castlevania got the shocking Richter that broke the "3rd party series can't get another character" fan rule, but it's safe to say that series is done for this game.

The One I'm Expecting

Dixie, Shadow, and Tails are the most likely in my opinion. Dixie has the popularity and relevancy and could easily be the side dish to King K Rool's main dish addition. Shadow could obviously be a Echo and is missing from the ATs teased still. Tails on the other hand technically played like Sonic in the old days minus his flying trait. Tails could be a Echo as well, but he could also be unique. I could also see us getting both Tails as Unique and Shadow as a Echo of Sonic.

Isabelle has developed a following, so I wouldn't be too shocked about her. I just don't really see that much pull for another Villager... are they even a popular fighter to get another slot?

Ms. Pacman is possible, but I don't know if there is any pull for her to be honest.

Closing Outlook
I don't really see most series having anyone that could take the Echo role, but I don't know that much on Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Starbound, Megaman, Bayonetta, or Metal Gear to give a solid outlook on their chances of getting one.

Punch Out and F-Zero could technically pick up Glass Joe and Black Shadow, but I don't see them having the demand.

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Chrom and Dark Samus follow what is somewhat of a trend from the three echo fighters in that they started as an alt.

Pit had Dark Pit colors before Dark Pit existed (in Brawl).
Lucina was added to basically be the female version of Marth but upgraded.
Peach has had a Daisy recolor since Melee.

We know based on the E3 demo that Ike no longer has Chrom colors and Samus no longer has Dark Samus colors. These are the two most obvious echoes that I expect to get, since we know what all of their costumes are.
Heyyy I was right. It was obvious though, Sakurai even said himself, "You may have seen them coming." lol.
I'm genuinely shocked we didn't get Dixie Kong with K. Rool, but I guess we didn't get Dark Samus with Ridley. It's possible she's still an echo.

Richter proves third party echoes are possible, which I didn't think so. This improves Shadow's chances, in my opinion.

I think the most likely echoes now are probably: Isabelle, Dixie Kong, Impa, Shadow, Black Shadow.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well my hopes for all my wanted echos increased today except for one.

Poor Yarn Yoshi won't have his home stage :sadeyes:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So in conclusion, 'Echo' encompasses anything from 'literal palette swap' to 'Melee clone with different moves.' Guess we can stop having that argument now - we were all right and all wrong.

And now we have third party newcomers getting an echo as well..... (Tails please!) Things are certainly getting interesting!

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So, I gotta say, seeing Chrom be a Roy echo with actual different moves than Roy makes me TWICE as annoyed that Dr. Mario and Pichu weren't echoes.

I'd love Black Shadow as an echo, he could be akin to melee dorf now that current dorf is less of a clone.
I'm still holding out hope that SOMEDAY Ganondorf will be completely decloned and then Black Shadow can be given Ganondorf's old moveset.

Last edited:

isaac3000

Smash Journeyman
I will always and forever call them clones XD

I got used to this term, to change it now in my old days..

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Meh, I feel like NES Link is really just Young Link.

Pretty much every Link falls into one of 3 basic archetypes.

Young Link:
Zelda 1
Link to the Past
Link's Awakening
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Link Between Worlds

Link:
Zelda 2
Ocarina of Time
Twilight Princess
Skyward Sword
Breath of the Wild

Toon Link:
Wind Waker
Spirit Tracks
Minish Cap
Triforce Heroes

zferolie

Smash Hero
Man yesterday really opened the flood gates for potental echos. Not only are 3rd parties an option, but they can be a bit more different then originally thought, letting them have even a unique move to themselves. I have a feeling we will get a bunch more echos, more then full characters.

Dixie-Diddy: With CHrom getting a different special then Roy, I see Dixie being able to have a different Up B. She can get Donkey kongs up B, but more specifically it works like the kong chopter move, and adds a glide to it at the end, maybe keep some damage or combin both DK alts, where it gets mostly all vertical movement, sucks people in for damage at the start and end, and adds a glide.
Medusa-Palutena: with Medusa able to get a more or 2 different, she could grab one Palutena's old Alt B moves, most likely Heavenly light(Underworld light)
Ken-Ryu
Ms Pac Man-Pac Man
Shadow-Sonic
Isabelle-VIllager: I just not sure how she could get a full moveset to herself. I see her attacks being much faster, but weaker, due to her being a bit reluctant. Maybe if she also pockets an item it does what one of Villagers alt B moves does, adds a flower to anyone when she uses the move, or add the flower effect to her items she pockets. As for timber maybe she cannot cut the tree down herself, but the tree sprout can trip, and the tree sprouts fruit for her to eat after a set time.
Galacta Knight-Meta Knight
Black Shadow-Captain Falcon: Can be what Ganondorf used to be, a full clone of Falcon, maybe a slightly added effect that all his B moves can be charged and released at any time, to help play up the fact that he's a cheater. Like taping B makes a much weaker Punch, but it comes out really fast, or you can hold side B for longer to travel farther and do more damage. Or just grab some of the effects of his alt B moves like super armor and more damage but slower.
Wigglytuff-Jigglypuff: The only Echo Pokemon I can see happening. Remove the breaking shield kills her, And have her hit harder but be heavier and slower. Sing becomes hyper voice for damage instead of sleeping, and rest loses the flower effect but gains the old explosion and heals if you connect.
Hilda-Zelda: COuld happen, and could give us another new Zelda fighter easily.
Octoling-Inkling: May be too soon for the base game, but easily could be DLC Echo with different weapons being used for different ink properties.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Meh, I feel like NES Link is really just Young Link.

Pretty much every Link falls into one of 3 basic archetypes.

Young Link:
Zelda 1
Link to the Past
Link's Awakening
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Link Between Worlds

Link:
Zelda 2
Ocarina of Time
Twilight Princess
Skyward Sword
Breath of the Wild

Toon Link:
Wind Waker
Spirit Tracks
Minish Cap
Triforce Heroes
yeah but if they wanted to they could separate them further

Takasmash

Smash Ace
The three Echo Fighters that I think will be coming Isabelle Dixie Kong and Shadow.

Isabelle is coming for sure Verg was telling the truth about Snake and Simon the Kapp N is the new AC assist trophy and Chief Kawasaki giving food to opponents hey that was Isabelle move in smash 4.

Dixie Kong honestly I think she shouldn't been reveal in the K Rool trailer the fans theory might be true about Dixie being a Diddy Echo even I wish she was her own character but I rather see Dixie Kong then not in the roster.

Shadow Sense will know that third parties could get Echo's okay smash fans you were right and I was wrong Shadow will Echo Sakurai did put Chrom and Dark Samus in the roster because there were popular picks. In the next smash direct Shadow is happening at this point. Look I dont hate Shadow or want him in the game my mind was thinking that Sakurai will never add third partie echo that was I was not a fan of the Shadow Ech theory dont get it twist it.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Now that we know third party characters can have echos, Ms. Pac-Man is easily my most wanted. Like, I'm not sure you guys understand how ridiculously excited I would be. I'd have a heart attack.

Other than her, Shadow (Sonic), Jeanne (Bayonetta), and Ken (Ryu) all suddenly make a lot of sense.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Now that we know third party characters can have echos, Ms. Pac-Man is easily my most wanted. Like, I'm not sure you guys understand how ridiculously excited I would be. I'd have a heart attack.

Other than her, Shadow (Sonic), Jeanne (Bayonetta), and Ken (Ryu) all suddenly make a lot of sense.
Ms Pac man is arguabley more popular or influencal then Pac Man. Wasn't she the first playable female video game character? Plus Ms Pac man sold more then regular Pac Man. she deserves to be in it.

As for your Jeanne echo, Bayonetta has a Jeanne skin in the game, complete with white hair in her weaves. I think that sadly removes her as an echo chance

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
yeah but if they wanted to they could separate them further
Not without being stupid about.

Even Hyrule Warriors only has 3 Links and that game doesn't give a fuuuuuck about how many Links it has.

I think your best shot at a 4th Link would be a Dark Link echo for Link.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Even Hyrule Warriors only has 3 Links and that game doesn't give a fuuuuuck about how many Links it has.

Dark Link is commonly depicted as more of a mindless doppel of Link who fights just like him in every single way, he even has the exact same amount of health as Link in some games. Basically the best way to represent him is as an alternate costume, which he already has been since Brawl. Plus I'm pretty sure he's already confirmed as an alt for both Link and Young Link and Toon Link will most likely have his too.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Honestly I thought to myself last night that because of changes to Ganon (sword) and Palutena (no custom moves) those parts can be fixed by adding echos (which would totes be Black Shadow and Medusa.

As such, let me revise my list of likely echos

Ninten 10e
Black Shadow 23e
Dixe Kong 36e
Shadow 38e
Isabelle 45e
Medusa 54e
Ken/Akuma 60e
Octolings 64e

Those are the likely echos rn, maybe a surprise with another newcomer echo combo. Honestly though the more I think about it I feel Sakurai is going to add more echos since we got 4 more already and 4 newcomers. Maybe the numbers of both will be even and when he said new fighters he meant unique new fighters.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

wouldnt be stupid at all, also i think you misunderstood what i meant by 4 links, i meant i fourth character with link's moveset in same way we have four characters with marth's moveset

Last edited:

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
Has anyone ever thought about Fox's dad James McCloud being Fox's echo fighter? He could have Fox's melee costume but with a yellow scarf and his signature sun glasses/shades, he would be a lot stronger than Fox with a few minor differences and for his special moves would be some of Fox's custom moves from Smash 4 like his up B special the twisting fox would be great.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I know it probably won’t happen, but I couldn’t help but laugh a little thinking about Blanka being Sonic’s Echo Fighter instead of Shadow. XD

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
I can really see a new Mute City (Since melee's isnt here andf the 3ds one got renamed) from GX with a Black Shadow echo.

thisguyisnotcool

Smash Cadet
I know it probably won’t happen, but I couldn’t help but laugh a little thinking about Blanka being Sonic’s Echo Fighter instead of Shadow. XD
I get the feeling echo fighters come from the same game. If not that's certainly a unique one

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Has anyone ever thought about Fox's dad James McCloud being Fox's echo fighter? He could have Fox's melee costume but with a yellow scarf and his signature sun glasses/shades, he would be a lot stronger than Fox with a few minor differences and for his special moves would be some of Fox's custom moves from Smash 4 like his up B special the twisting fox would be great.
As far as star fox echoes goes I'd rather they just do Panther over Wolf. James McCloud is a pretty damn obscure pick

Wouldo

Smash Rookie
Simon and Richter... Hmmm

If Sora is a newcomer, Roxas will be his echo!

If Heihachi is another newcomer, that gives each third party 2 reps and 1 echo each:

Sega: Sonic & Shadow (Bayonetta already has a Jeanne alt color)

Konami: Simon & Richter (I'm not sure, but Snake might have all his alter egos as alt colors)

Capcom: Ryu & Ken/Akuma (Proto Man and Mega Man's other alter egos are already in his final smash. Zero is an assist trophy)

Namco: Pac-Man & Ms. Pac-Man (Young/Old Heihachi could potentially echo each other... Ms. Pac-Man is VERY important to gaming history)

Square Enix: Sora & Roxas (Zack might be too irrelevant to be an echo of Cloud)

I know relevancy isn't too much of a factor for echo fighters, so please don't fight me. This is just a list I created for fun which implements my personal preferences.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Shadow, Octolings, and maybe Jeanne please...the last two might be too hopeful since they could easily be an alt due to no real difference outside of character personality and voice

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
Shadow (for Sonic) and Ms. Pac-Man (for Pac-Man) are my most wanted echoes by far. Both of them absolutely deserve a spot, and would fit in perfectly as echo fighters. I would also love to have Impa (for Sheik).

Dixie Kong... should not be an echo fighter. I feel like the point of echo fighters is that you can get popular characters in, but ones that don't require different movesets, since they play the same as the original character. Dixie Kong is inherently different that Diddy, and has different properties and moves- that's the entire point of needing to swap between them in the game. Diminishing her to just a Diddy echo would be a huge disservice.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Shadow (for Sonic) and Ms. Pac-Man (for Pac-Man) are my most wanted echoes by far. Both of them absolutely deserve a spot, and would fit in perfectly as echo fighters. I would also love to have Impa (for Sheik).

Dixie Kong... should not be an echo fighter. I feel like the point of echo fighters is that you can get popular characters in, but ones that don't require different movesets, since they play the same as the original character. Dixie Kong is inherently different that Diddy, and has different properties and moves- that's the entire point of needing to swap between them in the game. Diminishing her to just a Diddy echo would be a huge disservice.
If Dixie were to be an echo, she would be able to use K Rool’s recovery but with her hair instead (Chrom copies Roy/Lucina/Marth and Ike, so it’s known echoes don’t have to copy only one person)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Ms Pac man is arguabley more popular or influencal then Pac Man. Wasn't she the first playable female video game character? Plus Ms Pac man sold more then regular Pac Man. she deserves to be in it.
Oh, Pac-Man is still certainly more important historically. Pac-Man (arcade) sold 400,000 units and generated $12.8 billion in 2015 USD according to Business Insider. (The only arcade game to generate more revenue was Space Invaders.) compared to Ms. Pac-Man (arcade) selling 125,000. I can't find exact numbers for the revenue for Ms. Pac-Man, but it was less than for the original, albeit certainly higher than most arcade games.

That said, she's the earliest video game character I know of, from February 1981, followed by Lady Bug in October 1981.

Top Bottom