• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ebola thread: Chill out if you want to discuss it.

How prepared are you for ebola?

• Total voters

Pékaßlu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0147-0376-7641
Well ****. Guess i'm not going outside anymore.

finalark

SNORLAX
The fact that this thread is worded like a game just got confirmed for localization is hilarious to me.

That being said, I'm glad that there's a full state between me and Texas. Better start washing my hands more anyway.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Aw no. aawww no.. ****, i'm in the same statr as that place. welp, i really need to speed up that move to england fast then.

Spirst

While it's always important to have foresight and exercise precautions such as maintaining a sanitary environment, I don't see this as much cause for alarm just yet. The Ebola outbreak is more likely to be more prevalent in the third world countries as opposed to the USA where there are well-established medical facilities and the people aren't as traditional in their practices such as the African rituals for the deceased. I also feel like there's a bit of the opposite mindset in the US than in Africa. While there are those who attempt to 'liberate' the people in the quarantined zone (and in the process kill the workers trying to help), the US seems to lean towards a hypochondriac attitude which I believe is very key in containing the spread of the virus.

It's frightening alright, but not on a pandemic scale (yet, but hopefully never).

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
While it's always important to have foresight and exercise precautions such as maintaining a sanitary environment, I don't see this as much cause for alarm just yet. The Ebola outbreak is more likely to be more prevalent in the third world countries as opposed to the USA where there are well-established medical facilities and the people aren't as traditional in their practices such as the African rituals for the deceased. I also feel like there's a bit of the opposite mindset in the US than in Africa. While there are those who attempt to 'liberate' the people in the quarantined zone (and in the process kill the workers trying to help), the US seems to lean towards a hypochondriac attitude which I believe is very key in containing the spread of the virus.

It's frightening alright, but not on a pandemic scale (yet, but hopefully never).
It only takes one person to decide to spread it intentionally. Maybe a religious zealot from a foreign country that really hates us.

Also, US hospitals are unprepared unable to handle ebola waste from just the couple patients we did have. If there was even a small outbreak, our medical system would be completely swamped.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I'm worried for the friends I have in Texas. Hopefully they're not the kind of people that dig through others' poop...

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm worried for the friends I have in Texas. Hopefully they're not the kind of people that dig through others' poop...
I know this is probably a joke, but for anyone who may be mislead by this sort of thing. Ebola can transfer person to person by saliva, coughing, contact, surfaces, etc. Not just via poop and blood. So even if someone coughs into their hands, then later on you shake that person's hands, then rub your eyes, nose, or any other mucous membrane, that's enough to get you infected.

Last edited:

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
inb4 ebola chan

Now that's out of the way, I was sick over the pas few four days. I got a headache and s ore throat like I do around this time every year. But then, of course, a side of me started panicking that I have ebola.
Hopefully there's a happy ending for the patient.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Had to happen in Texas too.

All we need is for some illegal immigrant to get it and be afraid to go to the hospital out of fear of deportation or whatever.

And of course there's escaped convicts, people with warrants out on them, stupid people who don't watch the news, and since dogs can catch ebola and they have a tendency to eat eachother's **** and piss, they may spread while out on walks, it could explode through the stray dog community, some religious fanatics might try to spread it on purpose, etc.

Or it could just disappear without incident.

Last edited:

Muttley

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3695-0540-9836
Of all the places in the US, it had to be a hospital about a 45 drive from me. I drove by it just tonight and a friend pointed it out. Fml tbh.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I don't know what to think. Quite frankly I live 10+ hours from Texas, and I'm still a bit worried. Who wouldn't be?

Muttley

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3695-0540-9836
Patient Zero, Eric Duncan, died this morning around 8. Very tragic, but at the same time I'm like.. contain that ****, please :nervous:
Corpses are more contagious than live patients. The first ebola corpse in the US is a 25 minute drive from me at this very moment. It's cool to be me and alive in the year 2014 :ohwell:

Guys, don't touch me

Last edited:

Chinaux

Smash Ace
There is absolutely nothing to fear about ebola. First off, you'd have to cut someone who is infected and play in their blood and have it get into your body to get it. Second, there is a very small number of people who actually have it (I believe it's like 20 people, but 20 people out of 300,000,000+ people). I'm not at all scared, and I feel the media has exaggerated it too far. And another thing, many people have been to Africa, and none have come back with ebola.

Don't listen to media. Do your own research. You're going to be fine.

Muttley

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3695-0540-9836
There is absolutely nothing to fear about ebola. First off, you'd have to cut someone who is infected and play in their blood and have it get into your body to get it. Second, there is a very small number of people who actually have it (I believe it's like 20 people, but 20 people out of 300,000,000+ people). I'm not at all scared, and I feel the media has exaggerated it too far. And another thing, many people have been to Africa, and none have come back with ebola.

Don't listen to media. Do your own research. You're going to be fine.
The virus can spread via any bodily secretions pretty much. While we'll probably be okay, I want to clarify that researchers are saying that the virus can spread via tiny droplets from coughing or sneezing. You can also supposedly catch it if you touch something a carrier has left sweat on and then touch your mouth, nose, eyes, etc. Blood is just the most prominent conductor of the virus, apparently.

The good news seems to be that a carrier has to be displaying symptoms to transmit the disease. The bad news is that, here in Dallas, we're looking at another possible confirmed case that just released today, an officer working for the Sheriff Department in Frisco who was assigned to enter the apartment of Eric Duncan WITHOUT hazard gear. (:glare:)

My anxiety over this is largely due to the fact that it's happening all around me. The minute clinic the most recent possible case went to is literally right off of the street I moved from three months ago. ****'s scary.

Boy, this whole thing is reminding me of the old Swine Flu - Mexico City thread from 09. I was close to the outbreak then, too. Brb, moving from the south for good no regrets.

edit: I just realized that for the most part "my own research" would still just be considered "listening to the media". Excuse me for being a casual about this, but I'm not about to dig up information on the virus strains at my local library. I'm listening to what's being reported, and what's being reported is incredibly unsettling. Still, you're probably right. There's no need for panic right now. I'm just a worry-wart

Last edited:

Chinaux

Smash Ace
The virus can spread via any bodily secretions pretty much. While we'll probably be okay, I want to clarify that researchers are saying that the virus can spread via tiny droplets from coughing or sneezing. You can also supposedly catch it if you touch something a carrier has left sweat on and then touch your mouth, nose, eyes, etc. Blood is just the most prominent conductor of the virus, apparently.

The good news seems to be that a carrier has to be displaying symptoms to transmit the disease. The bad news is that, here in Dallas, we're looking at another possible confirmed case that just released today, an officer working for the Sheriff Department in Frisco who was assigned to enter the apartment of Eric Duncan WITHOUT hazard gear. (:glare:)

My anxiety over this is largely due to the fact that it's happening all around me. The minute clinic the most recent possible case went to is literally right off of the street I moved from three months ago. ****'s scary.

Boy, this whole thing is reminding me of the old Swine Flu - Mexico City thread from 09. I was close to the outbreak then, too. Brb, moving from the south for good no regrets.

edit: I just realized that for the most part "my own research" would still just be considered "listening to the media". Excuse me for being a casual about this, but I'm not about to dig up information on the virus strains at my local library. I'm listening to what's being reported, and what's being reported is incredibly unsettling. Still, you're probably right. There's no need for panic right now. I'm just a worry-wart
That's alright dude. I just want you to know that the likelihood of Ebola spreading would be terribly low.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
As long as Ebola stays away from minnesota, I'm fine, but I'm sure it's gonna be under control.
It shouldn't. If Ebola spread nationwide, I'd honestly be surprised. Media is saying Ebola is the new swine flu apocalypse, it's hilarious.

Nerf Herder EX

Smash Rookie
I remember back in the day when everyone was worried about an outbreak of Mad Cow Disease. That eventually lost steam and everyone started freaking out about Bird Flu. That went out of style and Swine Flu became the cool new contagion. Everything is going to be fine. Just wash your hands, put on a sweater and get some Vitamin C.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I remember back in the day when everyone was worried about an outbreak of Mad Cow Disease. That eventually lost steam and everyone started freaking out about Bird Flu. That went out of style and Swine Flu became the cool new contagion. Everything is going to be fine. Just wash your hands, put on a sweater and get some Vitamin C.
You sound like a hipster who thinks the threat of deadly diseases is so passé.

There have been many disease outbreaks in human history that have ravaged the world, claiming billions of lives. Swine Flu / Spanish Flu (H1N1) claimed upwards of 100 Million lives in a SINGLE year. It made sense for everyone to be extremely vigilant when it came back.

Also, loading up on Vitamin C doesn't prevent or stop the common cold, let alone ebola.

Last edited:

Chinaux

Smash Ace
I dunno, I happen to be a survivor of the Swine Flu, so always prepare for the worst.
Swine flu was a lot different. It was airborne and spread much more easily than how Ebola does. I remember I went to China during Swine Flu, and I'll never forget seeing about 75% of the people at the airport wearing masks and gloves. It totally shocked me.

Top Bottom