• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Easy way to set up Dtilt lock

ONAGA

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if this is in a guide already, i don't remember seeing it. If it is sorry, but its still useful as a thread i believe because its just a single technique that doesn't have to be searched for through a lot of other techniques.

I was watching a R.O.B. video and saw something and wanted to try it. Turns out it works every time. This works from 0% and is a lot of times easy to pull off since R.O.B. isn't a chain grabber. Here are the specifics.

Description:

R.O.B grabs enemy and Fthrows twice, then starts the lock.

Steps:

1. Grab > Fthrow
2. Dash > Grab > Fthrow
3. Dash >Dash cancel > Dtilt Lock

The Dtilt Lock:

What you need to do, is once the enemy is laying on the ground you hit them with a Dtilt. Once you hit them you Do a dash and cancel it, then do another Dtilt. Keep doing this and follow them to the edge and finish with whatever you want. I will be testing with all characters and update this as i have time.

Characters:

In progress...
Lucas

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Are you sure this works? I don't think ROB can regrab anyone after F-throw with proper DI. He might be able to regrab the heavy characters, but who is this really applicable on except maybe DDD, and even then, ROB should never be within DDD's grab range.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
regrab after fthrow isnt guaranteed but it works pretty well on most people anyway. if you want a good dtilt lock setup then i find bair at low% (but not so low they dont get knocked down) is your best option most of the time.

ONAGA

Smash Apprentice
Ya i didn't say it was automatic you get the second grab. i said since he isn't known for re-grabs it catches people off guard. But if you get it it will knock them down.

TheMike

Smash Lord
I think reaper from Europe does this in one of his combo videos. It isn't guaranteed, though. :|

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Im not sure everyone knew this, I was telling Mr.Eric about it at our last tourney.

But yeah the second grab isn't guaranteed, but their normal reaction is to shield, ive already tested this multiple times in and out of tourney.

It also varies on the character, the floatier they are the larger their window to escape after the second grab, I know it doesn't work on pit because he can airdodge before he hits the ground after the second throw.

I know it works on Diddy and Marth from esperience, havn't tested many others.

also Pick Random: I'm glad your posting these, alot of people already knew about these but don't get discouraged. When you bring them into the spotlight again and get more people thinking and testing.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Thanks Pick Random for the post! And just because one person knew it doesn't mean everyone does. So please be more encouraging. I knew about the Fthrow to Fthrow but until Sil mentioned it, i never thought about the lock. I have a few questions I'll ask about this later, or will explore myself. Things I've been looking at before, just forgot.

ty PR. =]

ONAGA

Smash Apprentice
No problem. maybe 6Mizu could write us all a guide with their wisdom. Or maybe all they know how to write is, i know this, um not useful. anyways ya i have been working with it on other people and again, i know the re-grab is not automatic, but as someone mentioned above, some people can get out of the second throw. Ill be looking for those who get stuck with the bill. Just a side note, im sure this is common knowledge but i figured it out today. Grab release wario and dash Usmash. Killer. I feel kind of bad for wario and his pudginess lol.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
you can only usmash wario out of grab release if he hits x or y or up while struggling to break out. if he breaks out without hitting those or doesnt hit any buttons, he won't jump out, he'll just fall down, and you cant usmash him

unless his feet are dangling (ie. you're hanging him over a platform or ledge, or on a slant)

ONAGA

Smash Apprentice
well with rob he always dangles lol. cause we are tall. That's why it works. i have never had it not work. or at least i think so anyways

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
^^^ yes

Alrighty, played with it some today.

Things to note:

In order to do this with your opponent at 0%, your grab must be fresh. If you've done one grab, and your opponent somehow SD's and you do the double throw again, it will work. But after that it will take 3 or 4 grabs before the opponent hits the ground lying down.

The second throw can be jumped out of. I think this is more likely than the person getting away from the regrab.

If you do in fact pull off the 2nd throw, starting it at one end of FD, your opponent will already end up 2/3 of the way across the stage when s/he is rdy to be locked. So, you only get room for about 6 d-tilts or 5 and a F-smash. (Those numbers might not be exact, but pretty approximate).

What I DO find more useful is that if at the start of the game you use a weak laser or top, then you can grab your opponent, do the f-throw once and set up the dtilt lock there. In this case, if you start the first throw and then do the lock, you can get approx 8 - 13 tilts and or a F-smash.

Hope this helps.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Also if you edgehop onto the stage with a fAir if they don't tech it I think it can go into a dtilt lock then(you have to be fast though.) I am not sure (Wii is broken so I can't test it) But if it works you are in a position to lock them all the way across to the other side of the stage to an Fsmash. Theorycrafting here mind you. But maybe somebody can test it.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
^^^

If you edgehop a Fair and then Bair it sets up pretty perfectly.

You can also setup by pushing them off a platform, usually while they're shielding and you hit them from below with a Usmash.

also Mr.Eric: If they SDI away during a jab lock they can escape, so I'm not sure if 8-13 hits across FD is realistic, unless they don't know how to escape.

ONAGA

Smash Apprentice
Wow thanks for the info. Really good idea on the top or laser to Fthrow. i must try... but i still dont know how it doesnt do it for you and wario. I played him 30 times yesterday at least with a friend and it happened everytime. Not sure why. and against the computer it works everytime.

Sudai

Stuff here
Wario will air release if they accidentally press Up or a Jump button while mashing. That's probably the issue. Go test it on a non-controlled Wario. Just grab him and make sure nothing hits a jump input on that controller and watch him ground release every time on flat ground.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
^^^

If you edgehop a Fair and then Bair it sets up pretty perfectly.

You can also setup by pushing them off a platform, usually while they're shielding and you hit them from below with a Usmash.

also Mr.Eric: If they SDI away during a jab lock they can escape, so I'm not sure if 8-13 hits across FD is realistic, unless they don't know how to escape.
yeaz, this is taken to the account of w/o SDI.
but if you're like me and enjoy whispering sweet nothings into your opponent's ear while he is being "gay'd" then they might be a little less responsive on the controller.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'm also pretty sure Warios are used to not pressing jump because of all these grab release shenanigans.

Just saying.

Sudai

Stuff here
Yarp, which is why I only managed one grab release on Wario ever, and it was the first time DMG played me. Everyone watching boo'd but DMG was just like "STFU everyone! It's legit and it's my fault anyway, I forgot the jump thing" or something like that. I've never landed it again. :[

Least not against a real Wario player.

ONAGA

Smash Apprentice
Ya my bad your 100% correct. And i dont think good warios will fall for it either. Sorry fo rthe confusion. just evertime i played it happened. And now i know why lol. Thanks Sudai

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
It doesn't kill you to try. Even the best of Wario players occasionally slip up. If it doesn't work the first time though, odds are it's best to stop trying.

Sudai

Stuff here
What PX said. I always try at least once. Even if it's someone like PX or DMG. Maybe not try it the first time (TOO obvious) but I usually do try at least once. Worse case scenario you get a Jab/DTilt/Grab mix up.

ONAGA

Smash Apprentice
i love wario. so many costumes lol. I want to laugh at him, but he is too sick. They need to take his jump away lol.

TheMike

Smash Lord
We have many options to set up a Dtilt Lock, huh? Putting all of them only in one thread would be fine. Btw, nifty video, T0MMY. Thanks for it. ;]

T0MMY

Smash Master
We have many options to set up a Dtilt Lock, huh? Putting all of them only in one thread would be fine. Btw, nifty video, T0MMY. Thanks for it. ;]
You're very much welcome. It's nice to hear from a polite person here for once, I very much appreciate it.
When I get a capture device I'll put more videos up so SWF can catch up to my AiB posts.

Top Bottom