• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Blastin' Until The Cows Come Home - Earthworm Jim crawls back out of the dirt! (EWJ'S SECOND 160-page comic now on Kickstarter!)

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'm not down with Doug's opinions but I always liked Jim and the ideas behind him; EWJ1 was the only game I really enjoyed though, it feels like the rest got wackier but also dumber without focus. Using his head like a whip and grappling with Snott was so creative and fluid.

Also PsychoJosh PsychoJosh I forgot to say this back in 2019 but I liked your moveset ideas.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'm not sure they should touch that. They didn't give Cloud his crossdressing outfit alt for a reason so I assume they'd probably give EWK the same treatment.
Yet the game does let you control Sheik...

Still though I don't think Kim is really needed. The 64 game wasn't exactly the best of the EWJ series. Even if they had a pink costume for Jim that would be more than enough.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Thought of a new winquote.

Vs. Crash Bandicoot: "Somethin' I like about you, Crash! Guys like you and me just got that universal appeal, y'know what I'm saying?"

Yet the game does let you control Sheik...

Still though I don't think Kim is really needed. The 64 game wasn't exactly the best of the EWJ series. Even if they had a pink costume for Jim that would be more than enough.
Maybe a pink suit, but the wig would be too much.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Maybe a pink suit, but the wig would be too much.
Exactly, yeah.

Other costumes, colors for Jim could be a Yellow Psy-Crow inspired suit, a yellow and black Princess What's-her-name inspired look, a green Evil Jim costume, and a cow pattern outfit.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Count me in for support! They should include music from Earthworm Jim 1 and 2. Both originals and new remixes. They should get Tommy Tallarico to do a Smash remix of New Junk City or Anything But Tangerines.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Exactly, yeah.

Other costumes, colors for Jim could be a Yellow Psy-Crow inspired suit, a yellow and black Princess What's-her-name inspired look, a green Evil Jim costume, and a cow pattern outfit.
This is one color scheme I pictured for Jim, simply because he needs a green one, and well, Boogerman is sort of related anyways.

1594541150662.png

Although this would probably piss off Doug immensely since he hates Boogerman. lol

And welcome aboard Ninjahmos! I got you.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
This is one color scheme I pictured for Jim, simply because he needs a green one, and well, Boogerman is sort of related anyways.

View attachment 278158

Although this would probably piss off Doug immensely since he hates Boogerman. lol

And welcome aboard Ninjahmos! I got you.
If he's getting a Boogerman alt, then a Bad Mr. Frosty alt is a must.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I legitimately and unironically would love to see Bad Mr. Frosty and Bogerman as playable characters.

(Can we at least get them as Spirits. Wario could make for a great Boogerman spirit fight.)

PsychoJosh

There isn't much about Frosty's color scheme that is very different from Jim's. I don't really see this happening. The point of alternate color schemes is to be able to differentiate them in multiplayer matches if two or more people pick the same character.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I legitimately and unironically would love to see Bad Mr. Frosty and Bogerman as playable characters.

(Can we at least get them as Spirits. Wario could make for a great Boogerman spirit fight.)
As far as I'm aware, there aren't any support threads for them, if you want to start something.
There isn't much about Frosty's color scheme that is very different from Jim's. I don't really see this happening. The point of alternate color schemes is to be able to differentiate them in multiplayer matches if two or more people pick the same character.
To be fair, Sonic and Pac-Man's alts aren't too different from each other.

PsychoJosh

They showed a sneak peek at EWJ4 today. Keep in mind he doesn't do much other than run around.

My thoughts: I kinda like it. Very pretty colors and aesthetic, kind of makes me think of Shantae.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Jim's second 160-page comic "Fight the Fish" is now on kickstarter and, like before, it was fully funded in less than an hour. If you like epic comic book adventures consider giving it a pledge.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

I'm just posting to announce that I am leaving Smashboards forever and someone else is free to take the reigns of this thread.

The absolute worst thing that could have happened has now come to pass, and Minecraft's Steve is now officially a fighter in Smash. While I already had no shortage of criticisms for Smash Ultimate, the inclusion of such an abysmal character is far beyond the pale for me and I won't be engaging any more Smash discussion for the rest of my life. I won't be beholden to the insult of such an atrociously designed and frankly idiotic character having seniority in Smash over any of my personal favorites. In fact, now I pray that the characters I once wanted in Smash NEVER get in so that they don't have to deal with the insult of such a bottom-of-the-barrel character having veteranship over them. I won't have characters that have more than two seconds of thought, and actual care and professionalism put into their designs, be upstaged by a sterile, soulless, visually repulsive rectangle man, that barely even qualifies as a character and that even the most inept child could easily create under 30 seconds in Blender.

Smash is now a trash fire beyond ANY sort of redemption and I no longer want anything to do with it. I'm cutting it from my life entirely and I'd recommend you all do the same - I don't understand why in the world you'd want to keep supporting this game considering everything that's wrong with it, and their continued brazen insults towards the fanbase, but each to their own. I bid you all a fond farewell. Keep an eye out for my own game projects coming whenever they're finished, such as GigaMaidens and my currently untitled platformer starring a catgirl named Kasha, and please do support the official EWJ comic books and video games if you're able to do so. I wish you all the best and good health.

Know this: I will never, EVER forgive Nintendo for this, as long as I live.

PsychoJosh, signing off.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'm just posting to announce that I am leaving Smashboards forever and someone else is free to take the reigns of this thread.

The absolute worst thing that could have happened has now come to pass, and Minecraft's Steve is now officially a fighter in Smash. While I already had no shortage of criticisms for Smash Ultimate, the inclusion of such an abysmal character is far beyond the pale for me and I won't be engaging any more Smash discussion for the rest of my life. I won't be beholden to the insult of such an atrociously designed and frankly idiotic character having seniority in Smash over any of my personal favorites. In fact, now I pray that the characters I once wanted in Smash NEVER get in so that they don't have to deal with the insult of such a bottom-of-the-barrel character having veteranship over them. I won't have characters that have more than two seconds of thought, and actual care and professionalism put into their designs, be upstaged by a sterile, soulless, visually repulsive rectangle man, that barely even qualifies as a character and that even the most inept child could easily create under 30 seconds in Blender.

Smash is now a trash fire beyond ANY sort of redemption and I no longer want anything to do with it. I'm cutting it from my life entirely and I'd recommend you all do the same - I don't understand why in the world you'd want to keep supporting this game considering everything that's wrong with it, and their continued brazen insults towards the fanbase, but each to their own. I bid you all a fond farewell. Keep an eye out for my own game projects coming whenever they're finished, such as GigaMaidens and my currently untitled platformer starring a catgirl named Kasha, and please do support the EWJ comic books and video games if you're so inclined. I wish you all the best and good health.

Know this: I will never, EVER forgive Nintendo for this, as long as I live.

PsychoJosh, signing off.
I mean... I won't stop you if you really want to leave, but don't you think you're taking this too far? Like, "insulting the fanbase"? They gave us Ridley, King K. Rool, and Banjo, the Holy Trinity of Smash requests. Yes, Smash has its fair share of problems, but they care about their fans as much as any other franchise. It's just so hard to satisfy them because there are so many of them, and they all have specific wants, thus making it LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE to make everyone happy! The sooner people accept that, the sooner we can all just sit back and enjoy the show.

But, if you REALLY wanna leave, go right ahead. You've made up your mind on the matter. I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Uh... Well, on a slightly more positive note...
Looks like someone made an Earthworm Jim mod for Ultimate!
Not exactly the fighting style I would expect from Jim, but still interesting and I gotta give the guy points for effort.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
As unlikely as he is, I strongly support Earthworm Jim. Such a funny and unique character and also a way better option for a cartoony platforming newcomer than Crash and Rayman imo (no offense).

If he does come to Smash it’s possible that he’ll end up as a “mute character” like Pac-Man and Megaman, but it would be really cool if they could get some of his funny lines from the 90’s Earthworm Jim tv-show, or better yet, having Dan Castellaneta being hired by Nintendo to make some new voice clips for Smash. It’d be hilarious if everytime Earthworm Jim was about to perform his Final Smash he’d shout “eat dirt” followed by an unique insult to the character he’s performing his FS on. For example, let’s imagine Earthworm Jim is performing it on Mario: “EAT DIRT, SHORT ROUND PLUMBER!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA”...yeah, something like that. If you watched the show you catch my drift.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
As unlikely as he is, I strongly support Earthworm Jim. Such a funny and unique character and also a way better option for a cartoony platforming newcomer than Crash and Rayman imo (no offense).

If he does come to Smash it’s possible that he’ll end up as a “mute character” like Pac-Man and Megaman, but it would be really cool if they could get some of his funny lines from the 90’s Earthworm Jim tv-show, or better yet, having Dan Castellaneta being hired by Nintendo to make some new voice clips for Smash. It’d be hilarious if everytime Earthworm Jim was about to perform his Final Smash he’d shout “eat dirt” followed by an unique insult to the character he’s performing his FS on. For example, let’s imagine Earthworm Jim is performing it on Mario: “EAT DIRT, SHORT ROUND PLUMBER!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA”...yeah, something like that. If you watched the show you catch my drift.
What good is it taking shots at Crash or Rayman? They've endured far better--Rayman ESPECIALLY--than Jim has, who while is currently getting some attention, quickly fizzled out by the time N64 debuted. His 3D game didn't help. They've also reached heights he could only dream of.

I'm not offended and it's your opinion, but elevating one character by downplaying another feels petty, and at its worst insecure. IDK what his likelihood is since Nintendo will have to weigh in a bunch of factors and examine some controversies. Will his gameplay feel fresh? Sure.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
What good is it taking shots at Crash or Rayman? They've endured far better--Rayman ESPECIALLY--than Jim has, who while is currently getting some attention, quickly fizzled out by the time N64 debuted. His 3D game didn't help. They've also reached heights he could only dream of.

I'm not offended and it's your opinion, but elevating one character by downplaying another feels petty, and at its worst insecure. IDK what his likelihood is since Nintendo will have to weigh in a bunch of factors and examine some controversies. Will his gameplay feel fresh? Sure.
“Eat Dirt, salty Earthworm Jim denier!!! HAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!”
E6B5F1AD-A9DD-4306-BFAD-4C31169E8BCF.jpeg

(Just joking).

To be fair, you could say the same bloody thing about Banjo & Kazooie when it comes to not enduring that well in the gaming industry compared to those two and not reaching as big heights as Crash and Rayman, and that doesn’t make them any less of a better inclusion to a lot of people’s eyes (mine included) than they.

Again, this wasn’t an objective statement, it’s an opinion, as I mentioned in the op.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
“Eat Dirt, salty Earthworm Jim denier!!! HAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!”
View attachment 304914

(Just joking).

To be fair, you could say the same bloody thing about Banjo & Kazooie when it comes to not enduring that well in the gaming industry compared to those two and not reaching as big heights as Crash and Rayman, and that doesn’t make them any less of a better inclusion to a lot of people’s eyes (mine included) than they.

Again, this wasn’t an objective statement, it’s an opinion, as I mentioned in the op.
I'll have you know I'm on the Support List! Denier?! Ha!!

Even still, Banjo has a bigger impact on gaming than Jim overall. 2 widely successful games, sure, but BK also inspired Ratchet & Clank (15 games and counting), Jak & Daxter (4 games), Mario Sunshine, DKC Returns, Tropical Freeze and the Yooka Laylee series, which is currently 2 games. They started the 2-in-1 protagonist trend where you have 2 foils control as 1. Snott is barely a character, and it doesn't count. Off the top of my head that means BK inspired at least 24 games, and the Bear is still dwarfed by the Bandicoot and the....thingamajig.

Jim did inspire Rayman Origins and by extension Rayman Legends by its creator's own admission, but he also named Crash Bandicoot as an inspiration. Considering there's about 5 games in the modern Rayman sidescrolling style, that doesn't compare too well.

Top Bottom