• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Earth Talks Tournaments, Travel, and TOing

IMG_2292.JPG

Image from ShowdownGG, graphic by SB | Kendrick.

Earth has become one of the most recognizable Super Smash Bros. for Wii U players in all of Japan. As the undisputed best Pit player and a top representative of Corrin, he certainly deserves the acclaim. Beyond that, he has also played a pivotal role in his local scene. He's helped central Japan keep their skills sharp by organizing the Karisuma series in Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture. Now he's relocating to Kanto, but is looking for ways to keep it going. He'll be working hard to make Karisuma 14 a success on Saturday, June 24th.

SB | Djent recently spoke to Earth via Twitter about his experiences as a competitor and a TO, as well as his plans for the future. Because of the language barrier, he translated the following questions to Japanese using an online translator. Many thanks to Jucchan for checking translations of Earth's responses. This interview could not have been published in English without his help.

OK, 1st question: How and when did you get your start in competitive Smash Bros.? And why did you choose to main Pit?

My first Smash game was Super Smash Bros. on the 64. I started entering tournaments with Super Smash Bros. Brawl, when I was invited by the Link main Smasher. I preferred orthodox characters without obvious weaknesses, and Pit fit this mold the best. I did use Sheik in the beginning, but later on I switched mains. I thought Pit was strong in Smash Wii U as well, so I kept using him. I also like Pit's aesthetics!

Did you pick Corrin to help with bad Pit matchups, or is she just another character you like using? I noticed you used her a lot at Karisuma 13.

Actually, I have not played the Fire Emblem series, but I do like her aesthetic. Her synergy with Pit matchup-wise was good and she's a simple and easy-to-use character. These factors make her suitable for a dual main. I gained confidence in my Corrin when I placed 4th at Sumabato 8 using her alone.

How about your experience organizing tournaments? Was Karisuma your first tournament series?

Karisuma has been around since the days of Super Smash Bros. Melee, but I started as a staff member with Brawl. When Smash Wii U released, I took over as the head organizer.

Interesting. I have to ask you the same thing I asked Umeki: how do you balance organizing and competing? I was impressed how you did that and won Karisuma 13.

I definitely have less time to practice. However, I think that it is mostly in the mental aspect that I need to improve. I feel that I have been able to compete in my own tournaments without succumbing much to pressure.

I also have to ask: will you continue hosting events once you move to Kanto? What will happen with the Karisuma series?

I'm currently talking about it with my staff. I want to stay involved as much as possible.

That's good to know. I really appreciate the Karisuma series; it's very important for Chubu Smash. Is there anything special planned for Karisuma 14?

I have been practicing my bad matchups in preparation for Evo, so I hope to convert this to results at Karisuma. I think I can win the tournament if I don't run into too many of these difficult matchups.

Cool! That's a good transition to my final question: how are you preparing for Evo? You did very well last year and I hope you make top 8 this time.

Last year I was able to solely focus on Pit due to the bracket I faced, but I think this time around there will be more situations where I'll use Corrin. My mental game is my point for improvement, so at the preceding Japanese tournaments I will not pursue results, but rather play that I can be satisfied with.

---​
True to his word, Earth continues working on both Pit and Corrin. The duo netted him a 1st place finish at Meikobura 2017, as well as 7th at Sumabato 18 in Osaka. Well be rooting for him at Karisuma 14 this Saturday and wish him the best with his relocation to Kanto. Stay tuned to Smashboards for more exclusive player interviews!

G.C. "Djent" Bill

Comments

Top Bottom