• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Earth Hour

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Hour

"Earth Hour is an international event that asks households and businesses to turn off their lights and non-essential electrical appliances for one hour on the evening of 29 March at 8 pm local time until 9 pm to promote electricity conservation and thus lower carbon emissions. It may also help reduce light pollution, and in 2008, coincides with the beginning of National Dark Sky Week in the USA.
It is promoted by World Wide Fund for Nature Australia (WWF), an environmental lobby group, and the Sydney Morning Herald. The first Earth Hour was held in Sydney, Australia between 7:30 pm and 8:30 pm on 31 March 2007. The 2007 Earth Hour is estimated to have cut Sydney's mains electricity consumption by between 2.1% and 10.2% for that hour, with as many as 2.2 million people taking part. Earth Hour 2008 marks the first anniversary of the event with many partner cities and individuals around the world participating."

I ate dinner in the dark and I'm currently sitting in the dark. And I know that the computer I'm using right now is a non-essential electrical appliance but I just wanna know if you guys are participating in this event as well. My whole neighborhood is almost pitch black with the exception of a few houses.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Hahahahahaha, no.

I have no intention of disrupting my life when few others will either.

Jeff_ray...

Smash Cadet
We did it, but the neighborhood barely did so. My sister kept her CPU up, and mom watched TV.

Actually, all we did was shut all lights for a hour. >.> I didn't use my TV or computer, but many things were left on. -.-

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
Earth hour was a joke. I was at an 18th where an electric guitar, an acoustic guitar and 2 microphones were hooked up to a massive amp and speakers. When I had to get something from my mate's car which was parked a few houses down, I could hear the acoustic guitarist playing Taylor by Jack Johnson, a song not exactly known for its loudness.

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
Did this thing get any publicity whatsoever? Certainly a noble cause, but alas it's not going to help things. at all.
Did anyone hear about Energy Saving Day? 27th February of this year in the UK, various events held across the country encouraging people to cut down on their energy usage for the day. The national grid monitored the results, and Energy Saving Day resulted in.. a slight increase on usual daily energy usage. It was cold that day so people turned their heating up, so maybe it would have helped a little, granted, but still it's incredibly disheartening.

I personally believe its down to business and the people in power to make sure the cuts happen that will stop climate change, not the average guy on the street, but we could still chip in our bit and show it's an issue we care about. (If you do care that is, not meaning to sound condescending or preachy if you don't.)

Hahahahahaha, no.

I have no intention of disrupting my life when few others will either.
That's a harsh attitude. Not a complaint against you personally, just against the attitude. I wish it weren't such a common one.. if everyone actually did get active in events like this, climate change would stop. End of.
Although I know that's not going to happen, and its unrealistic to hope so. I'm just lamenting that people don't care enough to do the little things they can to help.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Google was black today in support of it, and I believe a few cities were doing support of it.

I didn't do it

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Did this thing get any publicity whatsoever? Certainly a noble cause, but alas it's not going to help things. at all.
Did anyone hear about Energy Saving Day? 27th February of this year in the UK, various events held across the country encouraging people to cut down on their energy usage for the day. The national grid monitored the results, and Energy Saving Day resulted in.. a slight increase on usual daily energy usage. It was cold that day so people turned their heating up, so maybe it would have helped a little, granted, but still it's incredibly disheartening.

I personally believe its down to business and the people in power to make sure the cuts happen that will stop climate change, not the average guy on the street, but we could still chip in our bit and show it's an issue we care about. (If you do care that is, not meaning to sound condescending or preachy if you don't.)

That's a harsh attitude. Not a complaint against you personally, just against the attitude. I wish it weren't such a common one.. if everyone actually did get active in events like this, climate change would stop. End of.
Although I know that's not going to happen, and its unrealistic to hope so. I'm just lamenting that people don't care enough to do the little things they can to help.
If is a climate change, and not global warming (which I am in complete favor of), then there is nothing we can do to stop that. That's pretty much why I see no validity to Global Warming. We just tagged the global polar shift and the climate change that goes along with it, as Global warming because then we can blame someone for it and pretend to know what will happen. I am not changing my life around, just because of scare tactics.

Deci

Smash Rookie
Haha, I did this too ^^

I have a 4 1/2 star hotel not far from me. They turned off *almost* all the lights too, I was pretty impressed.

It did get a little bit of advertisement, in Canada atleast. I saw a bit of advertising on it by the government of Canada. There was also a huge multistory poster up on the side of the City Hall of Ottawa that was noticable 10km away.

Riakou

Smash Apprentice
im doing it as we speak, i using my labtops battire power so im not using energy

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
When I said Climate Change I meant Global Warming and the effect human activity in particular is having on the Earths climate, should have made that clearer. Yes the climate changes by itself naturally, but it's mass carbon emissions thanks to us that are causing the Earth to heat up so dramatically. I know scientists aren't full sure of its effects and I don't hold enough degrees to be able to say for sure that "this is bad thing!!, but I'm of the opinion that it's bad.

But there's a definite possibility that Global Warming is a bad thing. And the possible consequences should be enough to have us worried enough to want to do something about it. I don't understand why there isn't more public demand for more environmentally-friendly energy sources..

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I openly admit that the only reason I believe in Global Warming is the vast amount of scientists that support it. I'm aware that's a fallacy, but as the majority of people who are against global warming are against evolution, I'm more distrusful of that side. And I know that that is another fallacy,b ut that's why I don't get into global warming debates.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I have read plenty articles by scientist that disprove Global Warming. I have no interest in looking it up, but they are out there.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
'Global warming'(or climate shifts) is/are inevitable. The actual effect we have on it is minimal. We can be the 'greenest' of them all, have a volcano erupt and every bit of effort is ruined.

We are at nature's unpredictable mercy here, and in time's grip as well. The temperature and CO2 cycle's been there, and done that. Education>Media.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
my family observed earth hour today ^^;

my dad actually started a huge argument about how it wouldn't effect global warming, and actually raised his voice at me. when i asked him, "well, what harm could earth hour do?" he just shut up. But we did it around 3pm instead of the night time.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
Or we could have a nuclear missle, or a hurricane, or a tornado. Either way I agree, education>Media. Don't get me started on the media.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
my family observed earth hour today ^^;

my dad actually started a huge argument about how it wouldn't effect global warming, and actually raised his voice at me. when i asked him, "well, what harm could earth hour do?" he just shut up. But we did it around 3pm instead of the night time.
If I were your dad, I would have been like:

"What harm? Nothing, just this!"<insert slap>

"And it would also waste my tv time, beat it!"

Now of course, I couldn't help myself. Don't think I have anything against you;).

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
I've had my Earth Hour this night, from 2 AM - 3 AM, when summertime went in.

I even didn't notice it, it was THAT easy!

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
"well, what harm could earth hour do?"
I like your point!

Quoting from Wikipedia, "In the Western world, the idea of human influence on climate has gained wider acceptance in Europe than in the United States."
Ok Wikipedias word isn't exactly gospel, but from looking at this thread it seems to be true. If I was brought up in America while those who doubt that we are involved had been brought up in Europe, we could each be arguing the other side.
There is evidence supporting both sides. But the fact remains that it's possible that we are having an effect on climate change, and that so many scientists support the theory makes it a valid concern.
And while the consequences of it being true are so severe, we need to act accordingly rather than run the risk of regreting it later.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Well as long as you turned off your lights and unneccessary electrical appliances for one hour sometime during the evening, then good job! Give yourselves a pat on the back!

I also caught a report on the news on Earth Hour the following day and the organizers of this event said that it was very successful!

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I would love to see an organized group of people observe Earth Hour once a week. If anything would make a difference, it would be a weekly routine instead of a yearly holiday. Besides, even if it wouldn't change anything concerning global climate changes, it would at least conserve electricity.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
From everything I understood, Earth Hour wasn't about saving energy, but was about the promotion of conserving energy.

Top Bottom