• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, and Staff, Brian spells the way! Also, kudos for more rpg protagonists joining Smash!

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Recently I started playing Quest 64 again. I remember getting it for my birthday back in the day. Ah, great times. Sad that this game got slept on HARD at the time. For being the first RPG game on the N64, it implemented a battle system similar to the modern Tales of games (Symphonia and onwards). Also, looking into Brian's character, I'd say he must be one of the strongest RPG protags out there since throughout the game, you don't get weapon upgrades, armor upgrades, nothing. It's all about putting in the work by leveling, and intuitively working to improve his base stats (HP, MP, Def, Agi), and increase the four element counters (up to 50). Between the four elements he masters, he's got a HUGE array of spells that he can use, and could be incorporated into a Smash moveset as Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth mentioned. In regards to the Up B, I hadn't thought about using the wings but, I believe they would do the most sense. However, since there are different Wings, perhaps each time he casts it, the shade trailing behind him as he is launched can change color each time (rotating from White, Yellow, Blue, Green, Red, and Purple). Despite Hero being added to the roster, nonetheless sign me up as a Brian supporter. :)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Recently I started playing Quest 64 again. I remember getting it for my birthday back in the day. Ah, great times. Sad that this game got slept on HARD at the time. For being the first RPG game on the N64, it implemented a battle system similar to the modern Tales of games (Symphonia and onwards). Also, looking into Brian's character, I'd say he must be one of the strongest RPG protags out there since throughout the game, you don't get weapon upgrades, armor upgrades, nothing. It's all about putting in the work by leveling, and intuitively working to improve his base stats (HP, MP, Def, Agi), and increase the four element counters (up to 50). Between the four elements he masters, he's got a HUGE array of spells that he can use, and could be incorporated into a Smash moveset as Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth mentioned. In regards to the Up B, I hadn't thought about using the wings but, I believe they would do the most sense. However, since there are different Wings, perhaps each time he casts it, the shade trailing behind him as he is launched can change color each time (rotating from White, Yellow, Blue, Green, Red, and Purple). Despite Hero being added to the roster, nonetheless sign me up as a Brian supporter. :)
I have added you to the list.

To note, I had the Wings changed up per element in my third moveset. Red Wings for Fire, etc. The colored trails sounds really neat as an idea, though~

And yeah, outside of the Gameboy game(which he gets a Staff and Cape for Offense and Defense respectively, and a Badge to reduce enemy encounters), he relies purely on his own power overall, which can easily be maxed out. The fact he's taking on enemies with double if not more, of his max HP already shows how amazing he is. A full-powered Brian is powerful enough to win most battles in a single spell cast, depending the enemies(cause of elemental resistances, etc.) I played so many times that I've used codes to make my own spells(albeit, only one so far), has tested out various location bytes(those Wings? In the emulated versions, you're able to access tons of various locations, though all of them are proper ones in the game if the byte properly works. They just default you to the very middle of the map, on all 3 axis(x, y, z)).

About the only neat thing that code actually could do is maybe give a good idea of where a stage could take place. I chose Isle of Skye myself, loosely based upon some bits of Crystal Valley and Blue Cave too. But there's a ton of locations. Even something like Pokemon Stadium could be done, though I would somewhat change it up to be unique locations, despite it ignoring the main 4 elemental bosses; Conner Fortress for Earth, Isle of Skye for Water, Baragoon Tunnel(Castle labyrinth) for Wind, and Boil Hole for Fire. Connor Fortress is pretty much a forest, so reusing that place via Windward Forest is less unique. The other is Blue Cave, but it's a Cave similar to Boil Hole, just, well, water instead of lava. The labyrinth is a bit different anyway from a cave, so it separates itself. A big problem with the game is that it doesn't have super unique locations anyway. Multiple Forests, Castles, "a Dark World", one Island around Water, and many Caves. Yeah, that's your dungeon changes. It's a good thing Baragoon Tunnel is both a tunnel and a castle labyrinth.

BTW, I do have a topic in my sig for the regular game in general if that's of interest to you. It has a nice updated poll that refers to every actual game(all 10 official ones) made. Though I don't think I added the Spanish version since apparently it's unofficial.

Ryu the Weredragon

Smash Rookie
I support this one.

I didn't get too far into the game, but I found it enjoyable enough. I recall that the GBC version expanded the plot a bit, though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I support this one.

I didn't get too far into the game, but I found it enjoyable enough. I recall that the GBC version expanded the plot a bit, though.
Correct. It explained who got the Eletale Book, added more characters, actually made Blue Cave easy to go through(but you also cannot go to Isle of Skye easily), made spells way better.

Among other things.

Feel free to go back to the game, though~

link2702

Smash Champion
Heh, I recently started it up again after getting a new joystick for my n64(...hate the third party stuff but was out of options, my original is so worn to hell it did me no good, this one from amazon the “old skool” brand, isn’t that great but...can’t be helped, Steelsticks64 still hasn’t made any new stock, this was the best reviewed out of all the alternatives, anyway...).

currently in the last town before you get to the final maze area. Went all wind and water this run. Think next time I’ll max fire and earth(obviously still need to level water for healing of course....)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Heh, I recently started it up again after getting a new joystick for my n64(...hate the third party stuff but was out of options, my original is so worn to hell it did me no good, this one from amazon the “old skool” brand, isn’t that great but...can’t be helped, Steelsticks64 still hasn’t made any new stock, this was the best reviewed out of all the alternatives, anyway...).

currently in the last town before you get to the final maze area. Went all wind and water this run. Think next time I’ll max fire and earth(obviously still need to level water for healing of course....)
I always get 7 in Water by default.

Well, normal playthroughs, anyway.

So in Brannoch Town then? I hope you kept your defense up. Cause everything hits like a truck. And then some. Except Spriggan in the last area.

link2702

Smash Champion
I always get 7 in Water by default.

Well, normal playthroughs, anyway.

So in Brannoch Town then? I hope you kept your defense up. Cause everything hits like a truck. And then some. Except Spriggan in the last area.
My defense isn’t...well it isn’t great this run, partly cuz I focused on agility (no lie, one day i just set the default joystick direction and let brian run in circles for several hours in a safe spot while I played a different system).

So stuff misses quite often, and I have a huge area of movement, but when stuff hits it’s stings pretty hard.

Still easier than when I first played the game years ago and didn’t know what to do, i thought being a jack of all trades would have been good, so I tried to level spirits equally.

Needless to say lots of deaths, and my staff became the best weapon while spells were pretty useless. But my def and health then was kinda absurd from how much I got hit.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
My defense isn’t...well it isn’t great this run, partly cuz I focused on agility (no lie, one day i just set the default joystick direction and let brian run in circles for several hours in a safe spot while I played a different system).

So stuff misses quite often, and I have a huge area of movement, but when stuff hits it’s stings pretty hard.

Still easier than when I first played the game years ago and didn’t know what to do, i thought being a jack of all trades would have been good, so I tried to level spirits equally.

Needless to say lots of deaths, and my staff became the best weapon while spells were pretty useless. But my def and health then was kinda absurd from how much I got hit.
Jack of all trades is good, since it makes your spells more powerful overall. But it also leaves you with few spells to work with.

And yeah, the game is linear, but the directions aren't easy even then. I had to figure out tons of stuff myself at that point. Rest was grinding. You could still go to Cull Hazard and just get bombarded by Blood Jells. Just use the Green Wings to do so. Not only could you maybe get 7 in healing, but you can just stop in an Inn as well to save your game/reset your spawn point. It's easy to just press A and let your turn pass. It's kind of boring, though, if you're not fighting back.

I like to raise agility a bit later. I also walk around in long circles to get MP back, but I also often play on Emulator, so...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
brianulimatetemplate.png

With a bit of work, and admittedly a template that I didn't bother to align stuff very well with, I got this done. I'll note that I have other thoughts for Spirits, but the only one I can think of that would work as a Legend is Guilty; which would be a Primary Legendary. Besides that, he'd help you resist everything(or also make you immune to floor damage and poison), but have a very low max total of 11,000(or possibly less) and 0 slots to add onto in return for such a massive ability. Probably not doable, though. Though him making you immune to poison with 3 slots might work?

So far, here's the total ones from left to right;
  • Legend
    • Epona(Primary, 3 Slots)
    • Mammon(Primary, 3 Slots)
  • Ace
    • Red Wyvern(Primary, 3 Slots, can be enhanced from Wyvern)
    • Ogre(Support)
    • Pinhead(Support)
    • Red Rose Knight(Primary, 2 Slots, can be enhanced from White Rose Knight)
  • Advanced
    • Fish Man(Support)
    • Wyvern(Primary, 2 Slots, can be enhanced into Red Wyvern at Level 99)
    • Blue Man(Support)
    • Cockatrice(Support, Immune to Earthquakes)
    • Ghost Hound(Primary, 2 Slots, can be enhanced from Hell Hound)
    • White Rose Knight(Primary, 2 Slots, can be enhanced into Red Rose Knight at Level 99)
    • Caterpillar(Support)
  • Novice
    • Bumbershoot
    • Big Mouth
    • Frog King
    • Man Eater
    • Parassault
    • Were Hare(Support, Jump increase)
    • Hell Hound(Primary, 1 Slot, can be enhanced to Ghost Hound at Level 99)
To say the least, I'm not sure what to do with all of those yet. Help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Pholadis

Smash Rookie
The legendary spirits make sense, with the ace spirits it feels like both a missed opportunity to not have the 4 elemental bosses but at the same time that would have been very definition of a low hanging fruit, there's something missing from the advanced spirits but I have no idea what that could be, and the novice spirits are fine. My opinion, of course.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The legendary spirits make sense, with the ace spirits it feels like both a missed opportunity to not have the 4 elemental bosses but at the same time that would have been very definition of a low hanging fruit, there's something missing from the advanced spirits but I have no idea what that could be, and the novice spirits are fine. My opinion, of course.
I was somewhat limited, but those might be a good idea. I clearly can make more space.

To clarify, by limited I mean too big of a Spirit Board might be a bit much. 4 more might work, if they're their own thing. I'm more worried about effects/stats than just choices alone. King Beigis is missing, perhaps? Guilty could work too.

All 8 bosses are notable on their own merits, though I admit Shilf is just "who" at some points. Dragon even has more impact than her in the remake.

Pholadis

Smash Rookie
I've thought of yet another moveset for him.

The Big Idea that permeates this entire thing is that all his specials are the basic element spells that Brian could hold and charge up to advance it from LVL 1 to 3. Pretty much just like how Hero can do it with his side and up-B, with the exception that Brian can move normally while he charges them. Trade-off is that they go up in strength slower, and Brian only has 15MP to work with. Just like in the game, LVL1 spells will cost 1MP, LVL2 2MP, LVL3 3MP. Brian can regain MP by moving while not charging a spell.

Neutral B: Wind cutter. Depending on how long it is charged, Brian will fire off 1 to 6 wind cutters. They home in on targets. LVL1 will have just one that goes in the direction Brian is facing, LVL2 will have 2 go in the direction he is facing while one starts off behind him before homing kicks in, and LVL3 will have 4 go in his direction while 2 starts behind. Minimal knockback, and maybe the few that start behind him will have no knockback at all.

Side B: Rock. A large rock forms in the air above Brian, falling in the direction he's facing after he let's it go. Increase in LVL causes an increase in size (and maybe knockback?), but not damage. Large knockback. I'm unsure if the rock should stay fixed in the spot Brian started conjuring it in before it is loosed, or if it should follow and float above his head. I'm thinking the former.

Down B: Fireball. (I know it's heresy to have the C-Up button thing go to the Down-B role) Fireballs are fired in the direction Brian is facing. An increase in LVL increases how many fireballs go. They are all fired simultaneously. Slight homing, medium knockback.

Up B: Water pillar. A pillar of water erupts from Brian's feet, knocking him and nearby enemies up into the air. An increase in LVL increases the size and launch height, but not damage. Medium knockback.

The general idea here is to facilitate a mid-range short combo potential. Ideally, Brian could keep his enemies at an arm's reach and rack up the damage.
I'm unsure what all of his normal attacks could be. I have some, though:
Jab: a single swipe with his staff with relatively high knockback. Think Ganondorf's jab. There is an unused animation in Quest 64's cartridge that has exactly the animation I have in mind; he swipes his staff straight left to right at his-face-height and it has a relatively long-ish wind-down.
Side tilt: The melee. The same one Brian does in Quest 64. However, did you know that the Japanese version had an additional swing? If you timed your A press right when Brian hits them, he'd follow it up with a second smack. I'm thinking this would be a good addition to his kit here. Think Snake's side tilt double presser.
Down tilt: ... not sure. Maybe here would be a good spot to add some light spell-work to his normal kit. Perhaps a puff from one of Quest 64's cloud spells, like Wind Bomb, Hot Steam, or Ice Wall? Or make something up. Elemental magic should be flexible, I believe.
Actually, I just had an idea! What if some of his normal abilities used spells, but what element he uses depends on the last special used? Like if the last thing he used was Fireball, and he then did down tilt, there's a puff of hot steam? I'm not sure if this should have any impact besides visual, but I like the idea.
Right, back to it. Up tilt: ... still no clue. Open to suggestions. This whole thing is.
Forward smash: All right this is where the idea above could shine. Brian stabs the pointy end of his staff to the ground, and casts a spell depending on what element he used last. Now, this could a simple thing. Like If he used fire, he casts fire pillar, but we could go a little crazy and have element mixing. Depending on the last three spells cast, Brian will use a different spell on his smash attacks. Water water wind? Ice knife. (that was the combination, right?) Fire fire earth? Magma bomb. (that was the combo right?)
Now, that idea is a little crazy. It could be a nightmare to balance and implement in a way that's fun to play and fun to play against. Maybe the MP gauge could round it out, but I don't know. But I think this idea has ran away from me, so I'm gonna wrap it up and move on.
Smash attacks? Depending on the last specials used, and what smash attack is being used, different things happen.
Aerials? Not sure. Maybe make froward air cast a spell based on the above system?

Final smash? Still not sure. Best spells to pick from here would be Extinction, Power Staff, Ultimate Wind, Windwalk, Avalanche, Magic Barrier, Some Big Heal, and Walking Water(? Invalidity, maybe?). Maybe some kind of random selection system, or a manual selection, or maybe just stick with one, I don't know.

I may not have a full move set in my head, but I do have Taunts!
You know that animation Brian does in Quest 64 when you hit A or Z with nothing in front of him? That.
Brian thumps his staff on the ground, causing a quake, twice, and then thrusts it into the air, causing wind to rage around him briefly.
Brian 'presents' a clump of ice in a hand overflowing with water to the space in front of him, then whips the hand back outstretched behind him while his body surges in fire.

And one of his victory screens must be his victory animation from Quest 64. There's no choice here. It must be done.

I very much rambled about this, but they're all ideas. I think the charging specials with the MP bar that you can regain by moving is a good idea, but the smashes with the spell malarkey is a volatile concept.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've actually had trouble with his taunts too. Biggest thing is maybe an enemy can show up as is. Were Hare, maybe.

I find the specials interesting. Did you read my Elemental Change moveset as well(I had to use a few boss moves, but I felt it made it interesting)? I do admit I like the idea of the Directions corresponding loosely to the actual C-Buttons, as it takes some of the mechanics from Quest 64 and directly applies them.

And of course. His victory animation is like, so obvious. I listed some others in the first post, including a backfired Silence. I forget the last one, as it's been a while. I'm also working on a sprite to make a new set of alts, remaking his design from Quest RPG's booket/artwork. Though maybe his design from the Japanese version of that could work even better. I don't have the sprite/drawing to work with yet, though.

Pholadis

Smash Rookie
I admit, I simply could not read another moveset while I had mine in my head. I gave the others in this thread a read, and I think I like keeping the directions "pure" of element better; for consistency, clarity in visuals and function, and theming. I hadn't considered his run speed or weight or things like that, and making him medium-slow makes sense to balance out the potential craziness. I think it makes sense for his jump height to be not so great because he's from an RPG where he couldn't jump at all. I don't want him to be weak in the melee department because a pure zoning character is a little impractical, and that staff wrecked things in Q64.

I found, a while ago, someone else's mock-up for Brian in image form. It was likely by someone in this very thread but I skimmed past it. Shameful, I know.

You'll probably notice how similar the special moves here are to mine. I swear, with all that I am, that this was a coincidence. I had the idea in my head long before I saw this. (and long before Hero was added)

What I think is most noteworthy are the alternate colors. I think it's a good selection.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I admit, I simply could not read another moveset while I had mine in my head. I gave the others in this thread a read, and I think I like keeping the directions "pure" of element better; for consistency, clarity in visuals and function, and theming. I hadn't considered his run speed or weight or things like that, and making him medium-slow makes sense to balance out the potential craziness. I think it makes sense for his jump height to be not so great because he's from an RPG where he couldn't jump at all. I don't want him to be weak in the melee department because a pure zoning character is a little impractical, and that staff wrecked things in Q64.

I found, a while ago, someone else's mock-up for Brian in image form. It was likely by someone in this very thread but I skimmed past it. Shameful, I know.

You'll probably notice how similar the special moves here are to mine. I swear, with all that I am, that this was a coincidence. I had the idea in my head long before I saw this. (and long before Hero was added)

What I think is most noteworthy are the alternate colors. I think it's a good selection.
I plan to get a good image/sprite to redo a better color selection. I want to change his brooch. I saw this a bit ago. It's pretty good. That said, my idea for C-Button stuff is that Up Attacks are Fire, Neutral Attacks tend to go towards Rock, unless it's a Back Attack otherwise(though that only applies to Back Air and Back Throw), Side B is Wind, and Down B is Water.

I do like the color selection. They did a nice job here. If it helps, I read some of your old movesets back during earlier support topics, so I'm aware it's a coincidence. I remember your charge thing.

As for MP, I dropped the idea because it's too hard to balance. Magic doesn't cost enough for a Meter to even work. You get back the MP very fast, even if it's just through staff hits. It could work if the game got remade and spells had a real MP cost, not 1/2/3(or 4 in the case of boss spells, which feels a good way to do so). Hero's MP costs were hefty enough to balance it out, imo. That's why I felt it worked. As for Hero, I like the character, but he's not focused on magic enough to fill my Quest preferences~

Oh. I guess I should post something neat I did, since it's relevant to this thread;

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Last week I got back to playing Quest 64 (had left off at the Boil Hole and made it up to Brannoch), and during those days I thought up of another possible moveset for Brian. The moveset is of course based heavily on various of the spells he learns in the game. However, depending on the direction one inputs with A or B, the resulting attack will be associated to the corresponding element; similar to how one navigated through the elements in the original game.

Up = Fire spells
Back = Earth spells
Down = Water spells
Forward = Wind spells

Moveset

Fire based attacks
  • Up Throw = Fire Ball (Lv. 1): Brian points his staff at his opponent and shoots a fireball, launching the opponent upwards
  • Up Tilt = Homing Arrow (Lv. 1 one tap; Lv. 2 tap A again): Brian launches multiple arrows that can home to the nearest opponent (arrows lack horizontal trajectory)
  • Up Smash = Fire Pillar (the pillar is cast in front of Brian, similar to Palutena's up smash)
  • Up Air = Fire Bomb: Brian points his staff upwards and fires off a powerful ball of fire that explodes upon making contact with an opponent or object
  • Up Special = Hot Steam (Lv. 1 one tap; Lv. 2 if holding B longer): casting the steam will propel Brian upwards; horizontal mobility is limited
Earth based attacks
  • Back Throw = Rolling Rock (Lv. 1): Brian summons a rock in front of him that rolls quickly towards the opponent, sending them backwards
  • Back Air = Rock Shower: Brian points his staff backwards, and a rain of small sharp rocks fly in a horizontal, short trajectory (good for keeping away opponents)
  • Neutral Special = Rock (Lv. 1 one tap; Lv. 2 hold B for a bit; Lv. 3 hold B the longest): Brian summons a rock above him and then hurls it in front of him (descending in a diagonal trajectory)
Water based attacks
  • Down Throw = Water Pillar (Lv. 1): Brian points his staff downward and a small water pillar launches the opponent upwards (launch distances is less than up throw)
  • Down Tilt = Ice Wall: Brian casts a chilling mist around him (covering a bit of range in front and behind him). The higher the opponents damage percentage, the more likely they are to be frozen
  • Down Smash = Water Pillar (Lv. 1 one tap; Lv. 2 hold B for a bit; Lv. 3 hold B the longest): Brian summons a pillar of water in front of him; it's size varying depending on how long one charges the attack.
  • Down Air = Ice Knife: Brian points his staff downward while in mid-air and creates four ice shards that cross each other. If the opponent is hit with the very tip of the crossed ice shards, it causes a meteor effect.
  • Down Special = Walking Water: Brian casts a sequence of water pillars that travel through the surface for a distance.
Wind based attacks
  • Forward Throw = Wind Cutter (Lv. 1): Brian points his staff at his opponent (forward) and casts three wind blades that push the opponent forward
  • Forward Tilt = Wind Cutter (Lv. 1 one tap; Lv. 2 tap again): Brian casts a number of wind blades that travel toward the nearest opponent (similar to the up tilt, only with a horizontal trajectory)
  • Forward Smash = Large Cutter: Brian casts a large wind blade that flies in a horizontal trajectory; it can hit multiple opponents within its path
  • Forward Air = Wind Bomb: Brian points his staff forward while in mid-air and casts a highly compressed wind orb that explodes instantly (has high launch potential)
  • Dash Attack = Wind Bomb: similar to the forward air, but with less launch potential
  • Forward Special = Cyclone: Brian summons a small tornado in front of him that deals multiple hits to opponents, as well as drag them along its trayectory (has vacuum effect)
As for some miscellaneous attacks

• A = Staff attack
  • A, A = attacks twice with the staff
  • Flurry = Wind Cutter (Lv. 1 ~ 3)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Last week I got back to playing Quest 64 (had left off at the Boil Hole and made it up to Brannoch), and during those days I thought up of another possible moveset for Brian. The moveset is of course based heavily on various of the spells he learns in the game. However, depending on the direction one inputs with A or B, the resulting attack will be associated to the corresponding element; similar to how one navigated through the elements in the original game.

Up = Fire spells
Back = Earth spells
Down = Water spells
Forward = Wind spells

Moveset

Fire based attacks
  • Up Throw = Fire Ball (Lv. 1): Brian points his staff at his opponent and shoots a fireball, launching the opponent upwards
  • Up Tilt = Homing Arrow (Lv. 1 one tap; Lv. 2 tap A again): Brian launches multiple arrows that can home to the nearest opponent (arrows lack horizontal trajectory)
  • Up Smash = Fire Pillar (the pillar is cast in front of Brian, similar to Palutena's up smash)
  • Up Air = Fire Bomb: Brian points his staff upwards and fires off a powerful ball of fire that explodes upon making contact with an opponent or object
  • Up Special = Hot Steam (Lv. 1 one tap; Lv. 2 if holding B longer): casting the steam will propel Brian upwards; horizontal mobility is limited
Earth based attacks
  • Back Throw = Rolling Rock (Lv. 1): Brian summons a rock in front of him that rolls quickly towards the opponent, sending them backwards
  • Back Air = Rock Shower: Brian points his staff backwards, and a rain of small sharp rocks fly in a horizontal, short trajectory (good for keeping away opponents)
  • Neutral Special = Rock (Lv. 1 one tap; Lv. 2 hold B for a bit; Lv. 3 hold B the longest): Brian summons a rock above him and then hurls it in front of him (descending in a diagonal trajectory)
Water based attacks
  • Down Throw = Water Pillar (Lv. 1): Brian points his staff downward and a small water pillar launches the opponent upwards (launch distances is less than up throw)
  • Down Tilt = Ice Wall: Brian casts a chilling mist around him (covering a bit of range in front and behind him). The higher the opponents damage percentage, the more likely they are to be frozen
  • Down Smash = Water Pillar (Lv. 1 one tap; Lv. 2 hold B for a bit; Lv. 3 hold B the longest): Brian summons a pillar of water in front of him; it's size varying depending on how long one charges the attack.
  • Down Air = Ice Knife: Brian points his staff downward while in mid-air and creates four ice shards that cross each other. If the opponent is hit with the very tip of the crossed ice shards, it causes a meteor effect.
  • Down Special = Walking Water: Brian casts a sequence of water pillars that travel through the surface for a distance.
Wind based attacks
  • Forward Throw = Wind Cutter (Lv. 1): Brian points his staff at his opponent (forward) and casts three wind blades that push the opponent forward
  • Forward Tilt = Wind Cutter (Lv. 1 one tap; Lv. 2 tap again): Brian casts a number of wind blades that travel toward the nearest opponent (similar to the up tilt, only with a horizontal trajectory)
  • Forward Smash = Large Cutter: Brian casts a large wind blade that flies in a horizontal trajectory; it can hit multiple opponents within its path
  • Forward Air = Wind Bomb: Brian points his staff forward while in mid-air and casts a highly compressed wind orb that explodes instantly (has high launch potential)
  • Dash Attack = Wind Bomb: similar to the forward air, but with less launch potential
  • Forward Special = Cyclone: Brian summons a small tornado in front of him that deals multiple hits to opponents, as well as drag them along its trayectory (has vacuum effect)
As for some miscellaneous attacks

• A = Staff attack
  • A, A = attacks twice with the staff
  • Flurry = Wind Cutter (Lv. 1 ~ 3)
My only thing is that Fireball doesn't get its full level usage. I like it otherwise!

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
What about a hero styled system for brian? Hold to charge spell.

B could be the boulder magic.
Up b could be fire.
Etc.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What about a hero styled system for brian? Hold to charge spell.

B could be the boulder magic.
Up b could be fire.
Etc.
I did implement that idea in my first moveset, though it only applied for Rock, Fireball, Water Pillar, and Wind Cutter.

(Is it named Boulder in French or German instead of Rock? XD)

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Any particular ideas of how you would like him represented?

Or stuff among what was listed throughout the topic you have a fancy to? :)
Maybe it’s the Legend of Spyro fan in me, but I really like the idea of a character with the four elements. I don’t know if this is a thing you can do in Quest 64 or not, but the idea that immediately comes to my mind is giving Brian the ability to swap between them, changing the properties of the attack. Like neutral is a fireball/waterball/airball/rockball. That kind of thing. Forgive me if that’s something that’s also already come up.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Maybe it’s the Legend of Spyro fan in me, but I really like the idea of a character with the four elements. I don’t know if this is a thing you can do in Quest 64 or not, but the idea that immediately comes to my mind is giving Brian the ability to swap between them, changing the properties of the attack. Like neutral is a fireball/waterball/airball/rockball. That kind of thing. Forgive me if that’s something that’s also already come up.
I did list that as one moveset, inspired by Pholadis if I remember which user brought it up first.

Issues I had were filling out some spots, but I felt that at some points you just gotta realize "Well, yeah, you can't get every unique move possible" and move on. Hence the aerials not being hyper unique from each other in any case.

To clarify at least on the directional aerials, Earth uses a Rock Shower Shard, Fire uses the Homing Arrow model, Wind uses Ultimate Wind Blades, and Water uses the literal Ice Knife blades.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Obviously I wouldn't double post unless it's a massively new thing. And it is!

briancolorsa1.png

I finally finished a new costume set. Special thanks to calfromkansas on twitter for providing me with the basic artwork, and Landmine36 for his quick rips of the items which I used to makeshift create everything. (I am aware the Yellow costume resembles Robin from the DC Universe, but that's what colors are, they need to look right together).

In order of costumes/references(keep in mind the cape and belt are the official color factor).

Default/Red - Normal Brooch - Guilty
Yellow - Golden Amulet - Solvaring
Green - Green Wings - Zelse
Blue - Water Jewel - Nepty
Pink - Celine's Bell - Shilf
Black - Fire Ruby - Fargo
Silver - Eletale Book - King Beigis
Purple - Dark Gaol Key - Mammon.

Obviously the items are not meant to be perfect replicas of simply turning them to the side. They're meant to be loose but still fit the concept. The only one I feel is really off is Celine's Bells. But I have an extremely limited pixel set to work with here. All of the sprites are double-sized specifically. So 1 pixels becomes 2x2 instead.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Top Bottom