• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Early Smash 5 Fan-Made Rosters (Ideal or Prediction)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
First of all, most of these characters do NOT have made up moves. Ness? PSI is not a made up move. PSI exists in EarthBound and is one of Ness's abilities. Sakurai did not invent PSI. That trait belongs to Ness. All of these characters have traits that belong to them. I hope you're not implying that because Ness doesn't use very specific PSI moves in canon that this is an example of Sakurai's incredible genius.
Ness doesn't use any of his moves.

He used Paula's. Sakurai has to cheat a little.

Captain Falcon's moves were ripped from Dragon King The Fighting Game
So all his stuff was made up then?

That's what I mean. He went backwards there.

and fighting with a sword is a trait that belongs to Marth
Yeah, but the tipper and moves themselves were all completely made up. Aside from the fact that he has a sword and a counter, nothing says Fire Emblem.

Not sure why Rosalina is on your list either
The Luma mechanic is against her characterization in any game. Yeah she's close with Lumas, but she'd never ever let them fight for her or let them die.

It's out of character but Sakurai wanted the mechanic so he made it work with her.

And Shulk? Well what about his ability to change his stats and see the future?
Seeing the future is fine.

The stats were completely made up. He's not the status buff guy in Xenoblade.

These are all examples of characters with a basis to move forward on ideas. They all provide inspiration like "Wow! Look at all the stuff I could do with a character likes this! I can do this or that with this character." With Toad the idea is "Okay, Toad has to be a character in the game. Uh, uh, uh, Oh I know! Items! Because you get items from Toad houses, right?!" And then Toad has a whole other move set outside of 4 specials. I don't see where the potential for that is.
Those are literally just the same things just with a different perspective.

This is more relative than you're letting on.

Is it wrong to dismiss a character because they are boring?
When the character's abilities aren't just a carbon copy of another like Chrom's were? Yes.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei
Don't you see that you're stretching your logic as far as possible to fit your bias? You're literally saying that Ness using PK Fire is some great example of Sakurai's creativity because he didn't use it in canon. Ness still used PSI. What does it matter what kind of PSI he uses?

So because of this you're arguing that there shouldn't be ANY standards. Could you imagine if I was like "Let's add Daisy. Oh, what does she do? Well she bounces on a trampoline in Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games. Let's make a move set out of that."

I wouldn't be making a move set out of the inspiration I got from the material that is layed out on the table in front of me. I'd be going back on a desperate manhunt to find anything that fits it. When you look at Ness or Rosalina, you instantly go "Oh, hey a kid with psychic powers!" or "Oh, hey! A cosmic space princess! These are great ideas for a character! Well, what kind of psychic powers are in the game? Oh, look at all these abilities I could make moves out of."

Where do you get that with Toad?

It's like if you had a a piece of paper with three words on it. "Frog. Ninja. Water" make a move set out of that. Then you have a picture of Toad and you're like "Uh, uh. Hold on, let me retrace my steps and look for any minoot little detail I can phone in. Oh, look! Toad stands in an item house. Let's just give him some random Mario items."

Ness using PSI powers that he didn't originally learn even though he still uses PSI in the first place is not a big stretch. Toad having a move set based around random Mario items for no other reason than that he stands there in the house that you get them in kind of is. With Ness the idea is there. Toad not so much.

That doesn't mean that you should give up on a character the moment you see them like "Well, he doesn't look like a fighter so I'm out of ideas." It's the fact that people go to such absurd lengths to convince themselves that a fighter isn't boring by using these insignificant details from games like "Oh, well Chrom kinda swings his sword this way." that makes me feel the need to go "Hey, maybe we should really look at our own standards and not just let any applicant slip on by because they filled out the paper."

I don't understand the point of arguing against a character's unique potential when there unique fan-made movesets out there for him already. Just go find some of those. He obv can be made unique and has enough potential to be included.

If all you see for Toad is a boring bland moveset, or no moveset at all, that's a dearth of creativity on your part.
Your opinion that something is creative is just that. An opinion. No more objective than mine. In my opinion the move sets for Toad (which I have seen many of) are forced, desperate, and uninspired.

But, we all have our own standards. The only person who's standards matter is the creator and all we can do is express our opinion of what fits it.

I still think Toad has SOME potential though. Like it would be cool to see a grabbing function whereby he picks up and throws characters in the style of SMB2 or a Toadette skin. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Toad. I love Toad. But, when I think of the history of video game characters to put on the cover of Super Smash Bros. I like to aim a little higher than the likes of Toad & Waddle Dee. I mean, if we look at it from the perspective of our priorities.

Last edited:

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
If all you see for Toad is a boring bland moveset, or no moveset at all, that's a dearth of creativity on your part.
I didn't say he would have a boring or Bland moveset, all I said was he'd be awkward as a fighter. I betcha I could create a Moveset for Q*Bert or hell even a Tetris Block

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I didn't say he would have a boring or Bland moveset, all I said was he'd be awkward as a fighter. I betcha I could create a Moveset for Q*Bert or hell even a Tetris Block
At least outside of his basic specials, I'd agree with that. But, you know what would be cool is if he did that spinning head thing from Mario Strikers Charged as a dash attack.

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Ok guys, my first post here since... well, ages ago.
This is the Roster I imagine for smash 5 and some reasoning:

No cuts, 70 characters counting the Mii Fighters as separate ones and not counting the Pokémon Trainer at all.
Returning Vets:
  • Ice Climbers: Uppermost, they were not supposed to be cut. If wasn't for the 3DS's limitations we would not be discussing this.
  • Wolf: The most meaningless cut ever, just like Mewtwo, he needs to return.
  • Pokémon Trainer: Actually here he is a new customiseble mechanic. Put simple, you can choose a famous trainer (protagonists, rivals and some champions) or customize your own with the same X/Y/S/M sets. Then, you chose three pokemon from the rosters and customize their special attacks (all unique), change their abilities (including Battle Bond Greninja) give them held itens from the franchise (Leftovers, Life Orb, Berries, Herbs, Gems, Choice Items, Eviolite) including one Mega Stone (Lucarionite, Mewtwonites and Charizardites) per team to activate mega evolution once they are sent to battle (work like more powerful skins). A DLC pack withe pokémon from the missing gens would be welcome (I'd choose Tyranitar or Scizor, Blaziken, Sceptile, Deoxys or Absol and Zoroark, Volcarona or any gen 5 legendary because they are all awesome)

Newcomers:
  • Kamek: We don't have a new Yoshi Rep since N64, and Kamek is very prominent in the Mario universe. And I also love his moveset potential. Flying on a broom conjuring the craziest spells would be so much fun.
  • Captain Toad: He became so popular that even got his own game. He is one of the likeliest characters on this roster here.
  • Rambi: Well, he is playable in more DKC games than DK himself. Actually than any other DKC character to be fair. I think he deserves a spot. He would be a good bulky ground based character to rival Little Mac.
  • King K. Roll: No apologies Sakurai, no apologies.
  • Pauline: The retro rep. Isn't being the first maiden in danger from the first Mario/ DK game good enough? If not, replace her with Dixie Kong.
  • Deciduye: The most recent badass looking starter to complete the Fire/ Water/ Grass trio. To me he is the most likely addition here tied with the Inklings (Only if we don't get a new gen before Sma5h). Sinister Arrow Raid for its final smash is mandatory.
  • Ridley: Wishful thinking.
  • Medusa: The first female villain (shut up Wendy). She should get the dark and creepy movest that gannon deserved.
  • Inkling: Shoe in to be fair.
  • Takamaru: Second retro rep. The assist Throphy that deserves to be promoted. If you prefer, replace him with Prince Sable.
If it is just a Smash 4 port, that is the roster i see coming:

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Ok guys, my first post here since... well, ages ago.
This is the Roster I imagine for smash 5 and some reasoning:

No cuts, 70 characters counting the Mii Fighters as separate ones and not counting the Pokémon Trainer at all.
Returning Vets:
  • Ice Climbers: Uppermost, they were not supposed to be cut. If wasn't for the 3DS's limitations we would not be discussing this.
  • Wolf: The most meaningless cut ever, just like Mewtwo, he needs to return.
  • Pokémon Trainer: Actually here he is a new customiseble mechanic. Put simple, you can choose a famous trainer (protagonists, rivals and some champions) or customize your own with the same X/Y/S/M sets. Then, you chose three pokemon from the rosters and customize their special attacks (all unique), change their abilities (including Battle Bond Greninja) give them held itens from the franchise (Leftovers, Life Orb, Berries, Herbs, Gems, Choice Items, Eviolite) including one Mega Stone (Lucarionite, Mewtwonites and Charizardites) per team to activate mega evolution once they are sent to battle (work like more powerful skins). A DLC pack withe pokémon from the missing gens would be welcome (I'd choose Tyranitar or Scizor, Blaziken, Sceptile, Deoxys or Absol and Zoroark, Volcarona or any gen 5 legendary because they are all awesome)

Newcomers:
  • Kamek: We don't have a new Yoshi Rep since N64, and Kamek is very prominent in the Mario universe. And I also love his moveset potential. Flying on a broom conjuring the craziest spells would be so much fun.
  • Captain Toad: He became so popular that even got his own game. He is one of the likeliest characters on this roster here.
  • Rambi: Well, he is playable in more DKC games than DK himself. Actually than any other DKC character to be fair. I think he deserves a spot. He would be a good bulky ground based character to rival Little Mac.
  • King K. Roll: No apologies Sakurai, no apologies.
  • Pauline: The retro rep. Isn't being the first maiden in danger from the first Mario/ DK game good enough? If not, replace her with Dixie Kong.
  • Deciduye: The most recent badass looking starter to complete the Fire/ Water/ Grass trio. To me he is the most likely addition here tied with the Inklings (Only if we don't get a new gen before Sma5h). Sinister Arrow Raid for its final smash is mandatory.
  • Ridley: Wishful thinking.
  • Medusa: The first female villain (shut up Wendy). She should get the dark and creepy movest that gannon deserved.
  • Inkling: Shoe in to be fair.
  • Takamaru: Second retro rep. The assist Throphy that deserves to be promoted. If you prefer, replace him with Prince Sable.
If it is just a Smash 4 port, that is the roster i see coming:
I admire your ambition with Pokemon Trainer.

You know, Pauline isn't something I've seen before. But, that's kind of a neat idea you have. I'd like to see Pauline take on the other fighters of Smash. A neat comeback for one of Nintendo's first characters. I don't necessarily think there's much to work with there, but again, neat idea for a retro. I feel this is worth of a conversation among the rest of the users here. (Personally speaking, I'd like to see Donkey Kong Jr. as well)

Rambi? Really? Because he's "playable" in a lot of DK games? Maybe an Assist Trophy, but there's a little more that goes into adding characters than that. When I think of historically significant Nintendo characters, I don't think Rambi.

I also don't believe Yoshi deserves a new character simply because he hasn't had any. You can't shoo in characters because you feel obligated. You have to have a real basis as to why that character deserves to be in based on their own merits.

Yoshi is a Mario rep in all, but his symbol. Any character added from a Yoshi game would just be a lesser Mario newcomer disguised as a Yoshi character. But, Kamek is a nice idea to think about.

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
I admire your ambition with Pokemon Trainer.

You know, Pauline isn't something I've seen before. But, that's kind of a neat idea you have. I'd like to see Pauline take on the other fighters of Smash. A neat comeback for one of Nintendo's first characters. I don't necessarily think there's much to work with there, but again, neat idea for a retro. I feel this is worth of a conversation among the rest of the users here. (Personally speaking, I'd like to see Donkey Kong Jr. as well)

Rambi? Really? Because he's "playable" in a lot of DK games? Maybe an Assist Trophy, but there's a little more that goes into adding characters than that. When I think of historically significant Nintendo characters, I don't think Rambi.
I dunno, he is kinda nostalgic to me. The Rambi levels were my favorites when I was a kid and I love Rhinos. My opinion is biased indeed. But I am certain he is really important to the DK mythology and I know deep in my heart he has a chance ;)

I also don't believe Yoshi deserves a new character simply because he hasn't had any. You can't shoo in characters because you feel obligated. You have to have a real basis as to why that character deserves to be in based on their own merits.

Yoshi is a Mario rep in all, but his symbol. Any character added from a Yoshi game would just be a lesser Mario newcomer disguised as a Yoshi character. But, Kamek is a nice idea to think about.
True. I agree. I said that we don't have a new Yoshi Rep since N64 because I didn't know how to start the sentence, lol. That's not my main argument for him to be in. He is a important Mario character with awesome potential after all.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
This is more of a Dream Roster. But, not mostly one based on characters that I want. I have reasons for the characters included. The vision of this roster is basically that I have unlimited time to improve the Smash 4 roster and I have full creative control. Sakurai's remains are under my floor boards and I'm in control. But, I have a cerial-killer like obsession to be as good as him...I am the NEW HIM!

I want to add characters that I believe will satisfy the players, more than just myself. (Thank you to Sharkarat Sharkarat & @SilverEra for the excellent icons that make this roster more aesthetically professional.)

70 in total not including Miis. * 23 Female Characters! Progressivism ftw!

Paper Mario
  • Long overdue in my opinion.
  • Great potential for a paper based move set.
  • And no, I don't see an issue with 2 alternative Mario characters when one is a clone from a different outfit/persona and the other is purely unique. And Mario is the king of the video game icons.
  • Part of the Super Mario Universe.
Pauline
  • Sonic Poke Sonic Poke inspired me to add Pauline. She's one of Nintendo's first characters in one of their most popular games. She would make a great novelty character, but have a lot of basis for inclusion. Seeing Nintendo's almost forgotten, first damsel in distress beat up the other Nintendo characters would be great.
  • Pauline's weapon of choice is the hammer from Donkey Kong, making her just like Amy Rose. This makes up the majority of her non-special moves.
  • Ideas for specials include Mini-Mario Toys and retro Donkey Kong moves ala Pac-Man.
  • New design with mixture of retro and modern.
  • Is a part of the Donkey Kong Universe.
Waluigi
  • Admittedly one of my favorite Nintendo characters. I have had my disagreements in the past with Waluigi's being a good idea and I certainly think there are many reasons why he should NOT be playable. However, when I think of Wario's move set, I see great potential in what Waluigi could bring.
  • Has a move set based on personality. Entirely made up. Similar to Wario.
  • Is a part of the Wario Universe.
  • No moves based on Mario games except Tennis racket.
  • Final Smash is Negative Zone
Toon Zelda
  • Very requested. Very cute and beloved by Zelda fans. Perfectly deserving in my opinion. If Link has his young toon form, I don't think it would hurt to give Zelda hers. Link & Zelda go together like peas and carrots in the Toon games. I believe she is the best option for a Zelda character and really emphasizes the differences between the normal characters and the toon characters.
Decidueye
  • Most badass and most popular Pokemon from the 7th generation. Great potential and a Grass Starter. Also he's a Ghost Pokemon!
Samurai Goroh
  • I don't believe in adding characters for the sole purpose of increasing a specific IPs amount of "representation", but Samurai Goroh is Captain Falcon's rival and I feel like his significance in F-Zero makes him feel missing in Super Smash Bros. My vision for Goroh would be a special set based on Captain Falcon's (with a katana boost instead of a raptor boos) with the rest of the move set being an entirely unique mixture of his own body strength and his katana with the final smash of course being the Fire Stingray.
Takamaru
  • Very qualified retro character
Louie
  • Louie is added to complete the original intention to have two Pikmin characters by creating a better vision for both the veteran and the newcomer. The captain (Olimar) now retains Red, Yellow, and Blue Pikmin and the cadet (Louie) uses the special ability Pikmin and also adds some differences of his own in his physical properties

Louie is slightly slower and has a slightly bigger hitbox. He recruits special ability White, Purple, and Rock Pikmin. Also Olimar retaining the original colors makes plucking Pikmin less of an inconvenience when purples come up and they don't latch on to your opponents.
Rhythm Heaven Troupe
  • A rhythm based character is a very unique idea. The Troupe stars the Rhythm Heaven Girl which is the game's mascot who summons help from several rhythm heaven characters and assets.
Elma
  • New XenoBlade game. New XenoBlade character.
Inkling
  • Self explanatory
Raichu
  • Gives Pikachu the bonus character he deserves, but creates something better rather than something worse. An evolution of an existing Pokemon is a good idea for a surprise unlockable.
  • Raichu is bigger, slower, more powerful, and his tail gives him a longer range.
  • I believe Pichu is more deserving, but Raichu is an improvement of the complaints surrounding Pichu.
Shadow The Hedgehog
  • Highly requested Sonic character and the presence of a second Sonic character itself is highly requested. If there is a second Sonic character I would imagine either a sidekick or a rival, and I believe this rival fits best and brings more fans and interest than Tails.
  • In the context of DLC or a Port, I believe Shadow's inclusion is ACTUALLY a distinct possibility. But, as a brand new smash game, I wouldn't get your hopes up.
  • Shadow retains the homing attack and spin dash as Sonic does and as they both do in the games, but his Side Special and Up Special are totally unique. His Side Special is Chaos Spear and his Up Special is Chaos Control (Teleport)
  • Most of Shadow's moves are unique, but he shares a few attacks such as the Up smash. Final Smash is Super Shadow, of course.
Changes to Veterans!!!
  • Mario has the galaxy spin attack. Luigi & Dr. Mario have normal spin attacks.
  • Fire Mario is Mario's Final Smash. Mario's moves become fiery and more powerful and if B is charged, Mario unleashes Mario Finale. Fire Mario's color scheme is red & orange instead of red & white. This way he retains his Fire Mario palette swap.
  • Wario's dash attack is the shoulder ram from Wario Land.
  • Ganondorf is rehauled. Has the ability to teleport, levitate, and use powerful magic projectiles. He still retains his original non-special attacks.
  • Dr. Mario has unique Final Smash
  • Lucina has unique Final Smash
  • Sonic's side special is Light Speed Dash
  • Critical hits cause Sonic to lose rings
  • Ness has unique PSI customes. PK Beam being a custom for PK Fire.
  • Pac-Man's down special is ghost sheild. Ghosts rotate around Pac-Man like shells in Mario Kart. They can be released and will act as they do in game.
  • Cloud has English voice actor
New and improved costumes!
  • Alph is a costume of Olimar. Brittany is a costume of Louie.
  • Dry Bowser is a costume of Bowser and adds blue fire as well as flaming pupils and a volcanic shell.
  • Daisy is a costume of Peach. Hearts are replaced by flowers and Toad is replaced by Toadette.
  • Impa is a costume of Sheik and retains her Ocarina of Time design.
  • Ms. Pac-Man is a costume of Pac-Man. She has her own idle animations. (Purely cosmetic change!)

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I remember I made a Tetris Block moveset a long time ago... way back in the Nsider days.

What I had was a Tetris Block made up of four squares... and the squares shift positions so the Tetris Block could be O, L, J, S, Z, T, or I depending on what move the Tetris Block is doing.

I even had the Tetris Block disconnect the squares to make those disconnected blocks from Tetris 2. Oh, and the Tetris Block had bombs from Tetris Blast.

Oh, and I was the one who saw moveset potential in Duck Hunt Dog when most people didn't think he would get in Smash ever. I even made up a moveset that included Banjo-Kazooie fighting style, NES Zapper player shooting from the fourth wall, throwing clay pigeons, flying away with ducks, and ducks pecking at enemies.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Since the thread closed shortly after I posted mine, I'll go ahead and post it again.

The extra Mii is Mii Magician. Oh, and if I were to raise the roster to 80, I'd add Phoenix Wright because bias and his ties to Nintendo.
And no, I'm not cutting a FE character.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
WALUIGI: Could literally be the Mario Spin-off series Representation and can use moves from Mario Tennis, Mario Party, etc.

DAISY: I like Jinjo's idea of having her become a Peach costume and replace hearts with flowers and all that, really nice.

LOUIE/OTHER: I honestly believe Olimar should just have a bunch of Costumes based off of the other captains in Pikmin, and Removing Purple pikmin from Olimar's Moveset will destroy him Viably. Adding Rock pikmin to Break shields would be an amazing idea however.

SHADOW: Ok, I bashed on him before but if his moveset could be unique enough from Sonic to not be completely annoying- I mean be a clone of sonic, and hell even be abit slower than sonic, then sure, why not? (I'd rather prefer Knuckles though)

DECIDUEYE: Having an Archer based playstyle would be great, and would complete the Fire/Water/Grass trio in smash. However, he IS pretty new, like just came out New so I dont know.

RAICHU: A heavier, hard hitting pikachu with longer reach? Interesting, but I doubt he'll be popular enough to fit the bill, I mean Raichu has gotten some attention with its new Alolan form but still.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
DECIDUEYE: Having an Archer based playstyle would be great, and would complete the Fire/Water/Grass trio in smash. However, he IS pretty new, like just came out New so I dont know.
Just a passing remark:
X/Y was not even announced when Sakurai started working with Greninja ;)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
WALUIGI: Could literally be the Mario Spin-off series Representation and can use moves from Mario Tennis, Mario Party, etc.
I think that would be a disservice to the potential of his character. Having some of that incorporated into his move set is not a bad idea, but it would be a better idea to have moves made up for him based around his wacky and devilish personality. That's how Wario's move set was created and in my opinion that's the only reason why Waluigi has a good reason to be in Super Smash Bros and it's the only reason I even considered adding him.

It's the only reason most people even want Waluigi in Super Smash Bros.

Super Smash Bros. for Switch isn't even coming out at launch. That's well past March 2017. And what about Corrin? What about Greninja who was developed for Super Smash Bros. before X&Y was even revealed?

Or Roy? His first appearance was Super Smash Bros. Melee. A few months before Fire Emblem: Binding Blade was released.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Or Roy? His first appearance was Super Smash Bros. Melee. A few months before Fire Emblem: Binding Blade was released.
To be fair that was only because Binding Blade was delayed by a large amount of time.

That would not have happened otherwise.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Since there's some talk about movesets in here, I'll drop some ideas Pauline

Pauline
Neutral B: Mini Mario

Pauline drops a Mini Mario from her bag that walks on its own, smashing his hammer in everything it comes across.
Three can be up at any time

Side B: Construction
Pauline drops a block next to her. These blocks are unaffected by gravity
When two blocks are dropped, a line is formed between the two blocks, which Mini Mario can walk on

Up B: Spring

Pauline bounces off a spring before slowing her descent with her parasol.
The spring stays on stage, launching Mini Marios in the air

Down B: Hammer
Pauline swings her hammer up and down, dealing damage and destroying springs, constructions and Mini Marios, allowing you to place new ones

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Pauline may not be a tough cookie to make moves for after all. I like not to make move sets that are centered around throwing or spawning things, but I have a few ideas.

My big idea is that Pauline uses the hammer from Donkey Kong as her main weapon (similar to Amy Rose). The Hammer is red and about the length of her own body. I feel like this is perfect as it is the main weapon of Donkey Kong and emphasizes her representation of the game.

Or she could use her lost items as her weaponry, having her hat and her parasol and purse as her main weapons for her attacks. We've had a character with a parasol special, but we haven't had it as a primary weapon for a move set. So that would be cool too. But, I think the hammer would be better.

My other ideas, include:

• Uses jacks (springs) for recovery. Jacks can be used as item afterwards and after jumping from springs, Pauline slowly descends with her parasol. She can also use other items such as her purse for minor attacks.
  • Thows Mini-Mario capsules that break open and do a number of things such as use their own tiny hammers.
  • Capsules contain either Mario, Donkey Kong, or Pauline. Each one does something different.
  • I'm sure you could find a way to implement oil drums and podoobos into her abilities as well.
  • Pauline can use the hammer to knock barrels towards opponents. If you're lucky, you'll get a blue barrel that explodes on impact.

I think Pauline is the perfect retro addition. A great representation of the original Nintendo game that started it all and a great novelty character. Quite possibly a good spiritual successor to Duck Hunt Duo.

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Pauline
While she was the first Damsel (I don't think is good enough for adding her), that was all she was until she returned for Mario vs. Donkey kong. She's currently not important and it's not like the original Donkey Kong game isn't well represented, we have the 75m stage, Mario, DK and both the hammer and spring are items. She's pretty much the only thing from the game that isn't in smash. And seeing that she do get games currently (Latest Mario vs DK is from 2015) she wouldn't truly be a retro character either.
She's a neat idea, but I don't think she has the unique moveset potential or importance that make me agree on her as a full character.
I think she's more fit as an Assist trophy that throws out Mini marios or something. Or at least as part of a stage.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Pauline
While she was the first Damsel (I don't think is good enough for adding her), that was all she was until she returned for Mario vs. Donkey kong. She's currently not important and it's not like the original Donkey Kong game isn't well represented, we have the 75m stage, Mario, DK and both the hammer and spring are items. She's pretty much the only thing from the game that isn't in smash. And seeing that she do get games currently (Latest Mario vs DK is from 2015) she wouldn't truly be a retro character either.
She's a neat idea, but I don't think she has the unique moveset potential or importance that make me agree on her as a full character.
I think she's more fit as an Assist trophy that throws out Mini marios or something. Or at least as part of a stage.
I disagree.

I would consider her retro because her move set is based around a very specific retro game which is the original Donkey Kong Arcade game. She has appeared in recent games, but I would consider that a plus. The fact remains that she's mostly known for that retro Arcade game. Even though Nintendo gave her a cool return, I think she still makes the "forgotten character" appeal. Takamaru has been in recent games, but it's not like Samus Aran who is from a series that started in the 80's, but has been thriving since so it can't really be considered retro.

Being a damsel isn't the for adding her, it's just part of the novelty. And I'm not saying "Oh, Donkey Kong need moh representation." I'm saying that having an actual character based around the original game would be pretty neat.

My idea for her is more of a Duck Hunt Duo style retro character. And alone she's pretty lack luster, but her using a parasol or the Donkey Kong hammer as a primary weapon makes for a neat character. And I'm not talking about a parasol as a move, I'm talking about a primary weapon. Kind of like Waddle Dee. Or the hammer would make her like Amy Rose I guess.

Imagine a smashified picture of Pauline where she's got a torn up dress, carrying a long hammer behind her like a warrior. That would be a pretty interesting retro comeback.

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
I disagree.

I would consider her retro because her move set is based around a very specific retro game which is the original Donkey Kong Arcade game. She has appeared in recent games, but I would consider that a plus. The fact remains that she's mostly known for that retro Arcade game. Takamaru has been in recent games, but it's not like Samus Aran who is from a series that started in the 80's, but has becen thriving since so it can't really be considered retro.
I don't consider her a retro character because what the retro characters (Ice Climbers, Pit in brawl, Duck Hunt, Game & Watch, ROB) have in common is being from dead series/games. She would maybe be retro the way Pac-man is in that the moveset is retro, but I don't think people really count him as a retro character. She not like takamaru whose appearances are an extra mode in samurai warriors, referenced in nintendo land and assist in ssb4, She have been a major character in Mario Vs DK since 2006, which is 5 games. If anything she would be comparable to Little Mac who had his wii game. I just don't believe she would be a "true" retro pick
Being a damsel isn't the for adding her, it's just part of the novelty. And I'm not saying "Oh, Donkey Kong need moh representation." I'm saying that having an actual character based around the original game would be pretty neat.
Now it sounds like the character doesn't matter and you just want something based on the DK game. And there really isn't that much left to actually take from it. Quoting you
It's the fact that people go to such absurd lengths to convince themselves that a fighter isn't boring by using these insignificant details from games
This is the kind of arguments you have been using against characters, but is also the direction your going with your Pauline.
My idea for her is more of a Duck Hunt Duo style retro character. And alone she's pretty lack luster, but her using a parasol or the Donkey Kong hammer as a primary weapon makes for a neat character. And I'm not talking about a parasol as a move, I'm talking about a primary weapon. Kind of like Waddle Dee. Or the hammer would make her like Amy Rose I guess.
You try to make her unique, I don't really see it. Like what's so special about a hammer, we already have 2 Hammer characters (Dedede & Ice Climbers) and the fact that the Donkey Kong hammer is an item. And similarly Megaman & sonic having spring based recovery move and the spring is an item. They fill out the moveset, but aren't unique.
The parasol is one of her more unique possiblities, but if you really wanted a parasol fighter it could be just as reasonable to change a few of Peach's attacks into using one, since she have actually fought with one before.
Her most unique potential is of course the Minis.
Imagine a smashified picture of Pauline where she's got a torn up dress, carrying a long hammer behind her like a warrior. That would be a pretty interesting retro comeback.
Except the thing where I don't need to imagine her comeback, she already made it in Mario Vs Donkey Kong. this kind of reimagining you're proposing here would just be weird.

I don't see her as impossible, Sakurai could be unique and add her as a third DK character, but she won't be a retro character. It will be because he thinks she's an important character to the Mario/DK series.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't consider her a retro character because what the retro characters (Ice Climbers, Pit in brawl, Duck Hunt, Game & Watch, ROB) have in common is being from dead series/games. She would maybe be retro the way Pac-man is in that the moveset is retro, but I don't think people really count him as a retro character. She not like takamaru whose appearances are an extra mode in samurai warriors, referenced in nintendo land and assist in ssb4, She have been a major character in Mario Vs DK since 2006, which is 5 games. If anything she would be comparable to Little Mac who had his wii game. I just don't believe she would be a "true" retro pick
Retro, not really retro, whatever. The point is that her appeal comes from the game she is from and referencing.

Yeah, she happened to appear Mario V.S. Donkey Kong, which goes unnoticed by most Nintendo fans, but BESIDE that, the retro appeal still works if you ask me.

Now it sounds like the character doesn't matter and you just want something based on the DK game. And there really isn't that much left to actually take from it. Quoting you
Of course it matters. The appeal of Pauline is that she is a forgotten damsel in distress who is making a shocking comeback with a new image to beat the **** out of the other Nintendo characters.

And it's different from Peach too. This is a character who lacked an identity and is as purely damsel-in-distress as they come. Never having a role outside of that. She IS the original damsel in distress of video games.

This is the kind of arguments you have been using against characters, but is also the direction your going with your Pauline.
You try to make her unique, I don't really see it. Like what's so special about a hammer, we already have 2 Hammer characters (Dedede & Ice Climbers) and the fact that the Donkey Kong hammer is an item. And similarly Megaman & sonic having spring based recovery move and the spring is an item. They fill out the moveset, but aren't unique.
I don't even really like the spring idea for the same reason that you don't. It's just an instant go-to. I was just throwing it out there.

I do however think using the hammer to knock barrels at people or setting up traps or setting up Mini-Toys is creative enough. The hammer is an essential item of Donkey Kong and seeing Pauline use it makes for an interesting character. It's not a giant hammer like Dedede. I think with her feminine style she could use it much differently.

I got the idea of making Pauline into a feasible character, from Duck Hunt as a reference.

The parasol is one of her more unique possiblities, but if you really wanted a parasol fighter it could be just as reasonable to change a few of Peach's attacks into using one, since she have actually fought with one before.
I see no reason to.

Except the thing where I don't need to imagine her comeback, she already made it in Mario Vs Donkey Kong. this kind of reimagining you're proposing here would just be weird.
Well, Duck Hunt was pretty weird. Not even the type of character that usually got picked for Smash games.

I don't see her as impossible, Sakurai could be unique and add her as a third DK character, but she won't be a retro character. It will be because he thinks she's an important character to the Mario/DK series.
Well the appeal of her addition is that she is a shock/novelty character with an important place in Nintendo history and a zany move set. While the parasol would make her somewhat more unique, I think the hammer makes her more interesting.

We've definitely seen some dumber stuff. Like Duck Hunt's Wild Gunmen and Pac-Man's fire hydrant.

Pauline making a comeback that people will actually remember, sporting the famous weapon of the game she originated in, in my opinion would be more interesting than weird.

Decided to post my updated ideal roster here, as well.

Update:

Alts:

*insert Kaptain K. Rool icon here*

Cut explanations:
Dr. Mario: Didn't want to have full clones, and didn't want to cut him entirely either, so he became an alt. Doc's specials become customs for Mario.

Dark Pit: So few differences from Pit that I'm not sure was there any point making him separate. I didn't want to give KI third unique character, either.

Roy and Lucina: Wanted to reduce the amount of FE characters, didn't want to cut the unique characters, so they had to go. Lucina is still an alt.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa is not on the level of the other Zelda characters. That's why I think she's just important enough to be satisfactorily represeted as Sheik's costume. They both are Sheikahs with the same physique and Sheik learned her abilities from Impa so it makes sense. I don't think Impa is important enough to have time wasted on her. Just my two cents the issue.
Impa is a far more prominent character than Sheik, so I think it should be the other way around.
Ness doesn't use any of his moves.

He used Paula's. Sakurai has to cheat a little.
Correction, Ness does use PK Flash and PSI Magnet (or at least, a move that functions pretty much like PSI Magnet). So there's that... PK Starstorm is Poo's move however. PK Fire and PK Thunder are Paula's staple moves, Kumatora of MOTHER 3 (Lucas' game) also can use them.

I also really, REALLY like the idea of Raichu ever since speculation of the latest Smash... I always wanted Raichu to play more like N64's Pikachu, albeit nerfed a little. Especially think of N64 Pika's aerial moves and throws and you'll get what sort of playstyle I envision.

PAULINE as 3rd Donkey Kong COUNTRY character would make me rage pretty damn badly tho. It's literally the worst thing to happen and I want the idea to die a painful death. Am dead serious. We are really overdue of a newcomer or two coming from the COUNTRY series. Dixie, Cranky, K.Rool, just pick two I could live with any combination.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Impa is a far more prominent character than Sheik, so I think it should be the other way around.
Sheik and Zelda are the same person. The only reason Sheik is here today is because she was PART of Zelda in Melee. A character's importance is not really a valid argument when they have become a staple in the series like Jigglypuff or Sheik.

Correction, Ness does use PK Flash and PSI Magnet (or at least, a move that functions pretty much like PSI Magnet). So there's that... PK Starstorm is Poo's move however. PK Fire and PK Thunder are Paula's staple moves, Kumatora of MOTHER 3 (Lucas' game) also can use them.
And here I thought I was the biggest Mother fan

I also really, REALLY like the idea of Raichu ever since speculation of the latest Smash... I always wanted Raichu to play more like N64's Pikachu, albeit nerfed a little. Especially think of N64 Pika's aerial moves and throws and you'll get what sort of playstyle I envision.
Raichu is one of my most hoped for characters. Not just because he was a favorite of mine back in the early days of Pokemon, but the idea of being able to unlock the evolution Pikachu is something that should happen. If it weren't for his lack of popularity, I'd say I'm honestly surprised it never happened. If it weren't for Pichu, I'm sure it of course would have.

PAULINE as 3rd Donkey Kong COUNTRY character would make me rage pretty damn badly tho. It's literally the worst thing to happen and I want the idea to die a painful death. Am dead serious. We are really overdue of a newcomer or two coming from the COUNTRY series. Dixie, Cranky, K.Rool, just pick two I could live with any combination.
I think Dixie is an addition that should happen, but in terms of the COUNTRY series, we're pretty much set when we have DK & Diddy. When she missed out on Smash 4, I kind of accepted that.

Pauline is not a DKC addition, she's just a DK addition. She's a retro novelty character that just happens to share the same symbol.

It shouldn't be thought of "Well, she's the reason there's no Dixie." One character's addition should not be thought of as the reason some other character didn't happen. In most cases, characters are added because they are characters. Not because they belong to a series. Character additions shouldn't be blamed for someone else not being added.

It shouldn't be viewed as a line. Rosalina and Lucario were in line before Bowser Jr. and Mewtwo and it wasn't because more people wanted them or because they were more important and they're not to blame either.

Until I updated it yesterday, Pauline wasn't even in the same row as DK & Diddy, because I didn't want to imply the notion that she was added cuz she's "the next best DK character". I moved her next to Diddy, because I was more afraid people would think I was implying she was from her own universe.

Cut explanations:
Dr. Mario: Didn't want to have full clones, and didn't want to cut him entirely either, so he became an alt. Doc's specials become customs for Mario.

Dark Pit: So few differences from Pit that I'm not sure was there any point making him separate. I didn't want to give KI third unique character, either.

Roy and Lucina: Wanted to reduce the amount of FE characters, didn't want to cut the unique characters, so they had to go. Lucina is still an alt.
It's kind of sad that people have such disregard for beloved characters because they are "clones". Sometimes it's not always about moves. It's about the character themselves and sometimes the twists they bring to familiar characters, however little they may be.

I don't care if Toon Link shares Link's moves. I like the Toon games. I like Toon Link. And I'd be upset if he DIDN'T share Link's moves. I still want to play as the original Link, I just also want to play as the Toon version.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
TheLastJinjo TheLastJinjo : I'd truely wish that characters would be added in that manner. But if we'd get Pauline, I doubt that we would get two more newcomers from the Donkey Kong series. It has unfortunately become a rather niche franchise over the years. If we have to beg for a character like Dixie Kong to make it in, the situation is rather dire. She even has a recent apperance in her home series, and it was apperantly not enough.

I do not think Paulina is a terrible idea, but rather not have her labeled as a DK series newcomer. You actually made me warm up to the idea a little, but I do not want to take any chances with Sakurai being able to cheat his way out of adding a proper DKC newcomer.

About Sheik and Jigglypuff, and them becoming staples.. Am not a big fan of it either. But I accept Jigglypuff because she is a N64 veteran. Sheik has far less reasons to stay and am still puzzeled how a scrapped model for Twilight Princess still made Sheik return in Brawl in a 'new' design. I would've much rather seen a TP-inspired Ganondorf or Midna. With Smash 4, Sheik got a whole moveset overhaul in favor of the likes of Ganondorf and Toon Link YET AGAIN... I think that's bad decision making.

Am tired of advocating Impa as a replacement for Sheik, but hey... If Breath of the Wild gives Impa a similar Sheik-like tutor-role as in Skyward Sword, I'd say that a second time should definitely be the dealbreaker in this regard. I can't see Impa NOT having a major role in Breath of the Wild, this is a game where the Sheikah will most likely mark their most important roles and finally reveal what they are actually all about as ' guardians of the Royal Family'.

The Zelda roster is pretty terrible now as it is, it desperately needs a change. And Link and Zelda, despite their heavily flawed movesets are there to stay and will likely not change as much. Ganondorf is an eye sore that needs to be fixed pronto, and every logical thinking individual would think it's a better idea to revamp Toon Link more than Sheik... Yet why did this **** still happen in Smash 4? My guess is that they indeed DID try and revamp Sheik with a new moveset and then give it to Impa, nothing else really makes sense... Then again, this is speculation and knowing my luck in this, I am not gonna be as adamant with it as people are used to (yay character development :rolleyes: ).

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
TheLastJinjo TheLastJinjo : I'd truely wish that characters would be added in that manner. But if we'd get Pauline, I doubt that we would get two more newcomers from the Donkey Kong series. It has unfortunately become a rather niche franchise over the years. If we have to beg for a character like Dixie Kong to make it in, the situation is rather dire. She even has a recent apperance in her home series, and it was apperantly not enough.

I do not think Paulina is a terrible idea, but rather not have her labeled as a DK series newcomer. You actually made me warm up to the idea a little, but I do not want to take any chances with Sakurai being able to cheat his way out of adding a proper DKC newcomer.
He can add as many DKC newcomers he wants. We got 6 Fire Emblem characters for Wii U. And everybody back in the speculation times was saying that FE can't get more than 3 characters, and the third should be Chrom.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Pauline would be a fun character possibly, but she isn't from the DKC series regardless. So it's impossible for her to replace a "DKC" character in the first place. Not that characters generally get replaced by others anyway.

As for Impa, she's unique enough for her own slot. She nor Sheik are even similar anymore. In addition, Sheik was planned to be in TP, but that changed later on. Hence, they had the design for Brawl. It's no coincidence that she was planned for TP either. Sheik is an extremely popular character. Cutting her is pointless, especially for someone who is overall less popular, but unique enough for her own slot anyway.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He can add as many DKC newcomers he wants. We got 6 Fire Emblem characters for Wii U. And everybody back in the speculation times was saying that FE can't get more than 3 characters, and the third should be Chrom.
To be quite honest, Roy, Lucina and Corrin where not even actually planned. They are all rather late additions. The only true planned newcomer for Fire Emblem was Robin, Lucina was meant to be a costume. Roy and Corrin where late additions and just got extremely lucky.

Then there's also the point that Fire Emblem does have a huge cast to work with, and has " fresh" and " relevant " additions just about every time. Wheras the likes of Dixie Kong and especially King K.Rool only can get in through immensive fan demand only and clamoring to their old skool popularity. It's a sad sight, but realistic.

Mod Edit: Do not talk about deleted posts in public, including your own.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
TheLastJinjo TheLastJinjo . It has unfortunately become a rather niche franchise over the years. If we have to beg for a character like Dixie Kong to make it in, the situation is rather dire. She even has a recent apperance in her home series, and it was apperantly not enough.
Screw it, lets just add the whole DK64 crew

patriot712

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty much happy with the current roster, so I wouldn't mind seeing it return (with the return of Snake and Wolf, of course).

As for the newcomers... Hoo boy, do I have a looong wishlist, and the vast majority are 3rd party (and of course, I don't expect ALL of them to make it), but here it goes:

-SORA ("Kingdom Hearts")
-MICKEY("Epic Mickey")
-SOPHITIA ("Soul Calibur")
-HAYABUSA ("Ninja Gaiden")
-AYANE ("Dead or Alive")
-JIN ("Tekken")
-CHUN-LI ("Street Fighter")
-TERRY ("The King of Fighters")
-SCORPION ("Mortal Kombat")
-JILL ("Resident Evil")
-RICK ("Splatterhouse")
-SIMON ("Castlevania")
-LIGHTNING ("Final Fantasy")
-
MEDUSA ("Kid Icarus")
-
KRYSTAL ("Star Fox")
-
ZERO ("Megaman")
-
KING K. ROOL ("Donkey Kong")
-
LLOYD ("Tales of...")
-
BILLY/JIMMY ("Double Dragon")
-
PHOENIX WRIGHT ("Ace Attorney")
-
DANTE ("Devil May Cry")

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm pretty much happy with the current roster, so I wouldn't mind seeing it return (with the return of Snake and Wolf, of course).

As for the newcomers... Hoo boy, do I have a looong wishlist, and the vast majority are 3rd party (and of course, I don't expect ALL of them to make it), but here it goes:

-SORA ("Kingdom Hearts")
-SOPHITIA ("Soul Calibur")
-HAYABUSA ("Ninja Gaiden")
-AYANE ("Dead or Alive")
-JIN ("Tekken")
-CHUN-LI ("Street Fighter")
-TERRY ("The King of Fighters")
-SCORPION ("Mortal Kombat")
-JILL ("Resident Evil")
-SIMON ("Castlevania")
-
MEDUSA ("Kid Icarus")
-
KRYSTAL ("Star Fox")
-
KING K. ROOL ("Donkey Kong")
-
LLOYD ("Tales of...")
-
BILLY/JIMMY ("Double Dragon")
-
DANTE ("Devil May Cry")
Great choices.

Doubt that many people ever thought of Billy or Jimmy from Double Dragon before. Those two were the stars of side scrolling beat em ups next to Axel Stone back in the day (even if they were older than him).
Corny live action film aside, the two pretty iconic characters from the NES era. Then there's the fact Abobo from the same game spawned his own strange fan spinoff.

Spurdo

Smash Apprentice
I don't quite understand the demand for Shadow. I mean sure, young children like him but either Tails or Dr. Eggman make a ton more sense than Shadow does. muh chaos control isn't enough to justify dismissing the two most prominent and iconic Sonic characters aside from Sonic himself to me. i mean, i dont even know why you would want a character that has been playable in nothing but trash games anyway. Even with that said, a second Sonic character seems highly unlikely to me. I find it difficult to justify a secondary character from a third party game, isn't the main character being there representing their own franchise enough?

as for me, I get the most excited for new characters when they represent a brand new franchise that hasn't gotten a playable character before. ones that come to mind are

-Golden Sun's Isaac
-Custom Robo's Ray MK2
-Splatoon's Inkling
-Dillon from Dillon's Rolling Western
-Saki from Sin and Punishment
-Starfy
-Professor Layton
-Paper Mario

I love these guys, I want them in Smash. I consider Paper Mario different because it has an identity so wildly different from it's counterpart that it is practically a new franchise.

other characters that come to mind are
-The Elite Beat Agents
-Prince Sablé
-A Fossil Fighters character
-Lip
-an Excitebiker
-Mach Rider
-Goku from Yuyuki (for the memes)
-Captain Rainbow
-Detective Club's Ayumi (she was considered for Melee look it up)

Last edited:

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
muh chaos control isn't enough to justify dismissing the two most prominent and iconic Sonic characters aside from Sonic himself to me.
KEK

-Dillon from Dillon's Rolling Western
I Honestly wanted Dillon as well at one point, hes an Interesting Character, some would call him a Slow Sonic clone but I highly doubt that, I mean yeah he rolls around and all, but hes got claws and could use Dynamite bombs and all that, I think he'd be fun to play as.

Also, I Saw you Put Captain Rainbow and thats really cool but would you like to See Chibi-Robo as well? Their both practically made by the same people.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
-Detective Club's Ayumi (she was considered for Melee look it up)
I still cry to this day (not really) knowing this fact. She definitely would have been a good fit with Melee's roster at the time. Though I can't blame Sakurai for being iffy for Japanese oriented characters at the time (Fire Emblem got a free pass since he wanted to introduce them to the West).

At least for now I talk about Famicom Detective Club in my group and spread the word about how great the game is. Seriously, the series is quite underrated as a Famicom classic (Though I've played the Super Famicom remake with Tomato's fan sub).

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It is quite possible that Dixie has not made it because so far we've only ever gotten clones/semi-clones/quarter clones (whatever you wanna call it.) that are all based on main characters.

• Mario (Luigi, Dr. Mario)
  • Link (Young Link, Toon Link)
  • Pikachu (Pichu)
  • Marth (Roy, Lucina)
  • Captain Falcon (Ganondorf)
  • Ness (Lucas)
  • Pit (Dark Pit)
  • Fox (Falco, Wolf)
All main characters.

But, who knows. A lot of things changed in Smash 4. Corrin was the first time a character who shared the same physique and abilities as another, was fully unique. Before that, every person who fit that description ended up being a clone to whatever extent.

Just keep it in mind so you don't get your hopes crushed next time around. I really do think that Sakurai feels DK & Diddy is all we need.

And don't try to tell me that Dixie wouldn't share ANY moves with Diddy. Just don't.

Well, like I said. It shouldn't be thought of Pauline cheating Dixie out of her chance. She just shares the symbol. It's not like if she DIDN'T share the symbol it would change literally anything.

About Sheik and Jigglypuff, and them becoming staples.. Am not a big fan of it either. But I accept Jigglypuff because she is a N64 veteran. Sheik has far less reasons to stay and am still puzzeled how a scrapped model for Twilight Princess still made Sheik return in Brawl in a 'new' design.
Well, with Pokemon Trainer becoming a newcomer, Sakurai obviously wasn't ready to make fully seperate characters. It would have been weird if Sheik didn't return.

I would've much rather seen a TP-inspired Ganondorf or Midna. With Smash 4, Sheik got a whole moveset overhaul in favor of the likes of Ganondorf and Toon Link YET AGAIN... I think that's bad decision making.
I think it's GOOD decision making. Here's the thing. Do we give characters move sets because we have a good move set for them? Or because we feel obligated to? It's not good to force inspiration. I like Ganondorf the way he is. It doesn't bother me and I'll never understand why it's crawled up so far up people's asses. I really don't see why people care.

As for Toon Link, I very much advocate he stays the way he is. It's important that characters draw parallels between themselves and their other forms.

Let me provide a few examples. And I know, I'm bringing up the clone discussion YET AGAIN. But, I just wanna provide a little perspective.

Let's start with Luigi. Nobody complained that Luigi was a clone of Mario. Everybody understood without needing them explained to them why he was. It wasn't because Sakurai was lazy. It was because it was true to Luigi's character. Furthermore, it makes him even more intersting because he's providing a neat twist to a character we are already familiar with. Having clones brings MORE variety. Not less. Sakurai has already explained that it's like having dinner and then complaining that your dessert is not another five star meal.

Let's say Shadow The Hedgehog was a newcomer in Super Smash Bros. Most likely, we'd notice that he retains the classic homing attack and spin dash moves.

You say to yourself "Why is Shadow a clone of Sonic. He CLEARLY has so much potential with his ability to use Chaos Control." But, what people are forgetting is that it's not just important to make a character "unique". It's important to make a character faithful to their portrayal in the original games.

In the Sonic The Hedgehog series, Shadow is a doppelganger of Sonic who shares several of his abilities. BUT, he does have some of his own. So the most rational way to interpret Shadow would be to incorporate his similarities to Sonic (Homing Attack, Spin Dash) as well as his unique character traits (Chaos Control)

In my interpretation of Shadow for my Fan Roster, Shadow retains Homing Attack & Spin Dash, but he also uses Chaos Spear and Chaos Teleport.

Now, let's look at Toon Link. In Wind Waker, Toon Link uses Arrows, Boomerangs, and Bombs (which it should be noted is a very important item). It makes sense to acknowledge this.

When people see Toon Link, they are going to expect something familiar, which are the most signature moves that Link has. The differences the two versions of Link are already apparent. Toon Link is smaller. He is faster. His moves are more cartoony.

You don't need to go all out to prove that Toon Link is different. You've gone too far and there would be those that would complain that Toon Link doesn't feel like Link. And so it kind of defeats the purpose of having him.

If you're going to create a completely different character, you might as well just add a completely different character. People want to play as both the adult Link and the child Link without having to compromise what they feel Link is.

The point of having the child Link is that you can choose which VERSION of Link you prefer, but you're proposing we take that away and make it so that the Child Link is a completely different character. So people who believe that the interpretation of the original Link is an accurate one, they don't get to see that in the Link that they prefer, which is the child Link.

If Toon Link did not have the abilities that he does. He wouldn't really be Link. These particular moves, are very important to Link's character in BOTH the Adult & Toon versions.

It's not as simplistic as "Everybody needs to have new moves. That's all that matters. Anything else would be dishonorable and LAZY." There are other factors to consider.

For example: Are Ganondorf's abilities so amazing that it's worth the time and effort to design a completely new character? Or is it more important that Ganondorf is in the game than it is that his abilities are fully unique? Should Ganondorf's moves come from some natural vision inspired by his great uniqueness in the game he comes from? Or would creating a move set be so forced and uncreative that it would defeat the purpose of attempting to make him "unique"?

Am tired of advocating Impa as a replacement for Sheik, but hey... If Breath of the Wild gives Impa a similar Sheik-like tutor-role as in Skyward Sword, I'd say that a second time should definitely be the dealbreaker in this regard. I can't see Impa NOT having a major role in Breath of the Wild, this is a game where the Sheikah will most likely mark their most important roles and finally reveal what they are actually all about as ' guardians of the Royal Family'.
I'll admit Impa is becoming more prominent than she's ever been. Especially after Hyrule Warriors. Maybe she will be the next Zelda character. Wouldn't bother me. I think she's super cool.

I just thought that she would work just as well as an Oot/TP style costume of Sheik. But, I'd like to see her as a separate character. You hear that, Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei ?

The Zelda roster is pretty terrible now as it is, it desperately needs a change.
Why? What's wrong with it? It seems pretty complete to me.

And Link and Zelda, despite their heavily flawed movesets are there to stay and will likely not change as much. Ganondorf is an eye sore that needs to be fixed pronto
I like Ganondorf

nd every logical thinking individual would think it's a better idea to revamp Toon Link more than Sheik...
Well, I don't wanna get personal, but I think that's a little ironic. In my view you're proposal is HIGHLY illogical and in my opinion, a little selfish.

But, I think that's kind of the end of that. Not trying to get the last word in. But, I think we've both established how differently we feel about this. You're very passionate about ideas that you hate with a fiery passion.

Pauline would be a fun character possibly, but she isn't from the DKC series regardless. So it's impossible for her to replace a "DKC" character in the first place. Not that characters generally get replaced by others anyway.

As for Impa, she's unique enough for her own slot. She nor Sheik are even similar anymore. In addition, Sheik was planned to be in TP, but that changed later on. Hence, they had the design for Brawl. It's no coincidence that she was planned for TP either. Sheik is an extremely popular character. Cutting her is pointless, especially for someone who is overall less popular, but unique enough for her own slot anyway.
And she still falls under the same symbol. It is the symbol used for 75m, and Donkey Kong IS part of the Donkey Kong series. Not every game in the Donkey Kong series has the name country in it.

Like Donkey Kong 64.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hmm....

You know, maybe I should make a roster. Would you guys even be interested in that?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Hmm....

You know, maybe I should make a roster. Would you guys even be interested in that?
Yes. I was actually going to ask you what you would do if you had a position of responsibility in adding characters. Or I guess just a dream roster.

You can use my setup and icons as a basis. If you want a professional look. ;)

But, roster maker is easier I guess. I use Paint cuz I'm stupid.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yes. I was actually going to ask you what you would do if you had a position of responsibility in adding characters. Or I guess just a dream roster.

You can use my setup and icons as a basis. If you want a professional look. ;)

But, roster maker is easier I guess. I use Paint cuz I'm stupid.
What was your setup exactly?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
What was your setup exactly?
Well, mine is a 70 character roster not including Miis (or a random button.)

I have a specific way I organize characters. Depending on what fits best, I will organize them by debut of series or starting with the 10 IPs in Smash 64, and then go from there.

I try to make sure that all the icons are 3D Models and are cropped in frame without one character being too small, too big, or as much as I can, I try to make sure there is not one that is noticeably taller than the other.

I have many character icons that I've had made, so you can ask me if I have an icon (assuming it's a reasonable character addition) I have very well done, 3D Model icons (thanks to Sharkarat & SilverEra) of characters like
  • Pauline
  • Dixie
  • Starly
  • Ninten
  • Michaiah
  • Zero Fox
  • Zero Falco
  • Tetra
  • Shadow, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, & Metal Sonic
  • Takamaru (SSB4 Trophy)
  • Daisy
  • Louie
  • Etc.
I actually wouldn't mind doing my best to make a good aesthetic setup for your roster if you tell me what characters you want. I like making rosters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom