• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Early Smash 5 Fan-Made Rosters (Ideal or Prediction)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 2.11.35 AM.png

I made I visual representation of my prediction for Smash 5. A non-port Smash for the Nintendo Switch. I added to more characters with the Monster Hunter (represented by Felyne, because the template I used didn't have a Monster Hunter image. Also, I know Monster Hunter World isn't coming to the Switch, but Capcom and Monster Hunter have been close to Nintendo for years. They also said they plan to support Switch.), and the Arcade Bunny (Baito; There's always that one off-the-wall character that Sakurai adds that makes us all go "...okay?", and I think Baito fits that perfectly. He loves everything Nintendo what is what Smash is and more, so I added him, and even partial came up with a moveset.)

For all the "?'s" from Top to Bottom & Left to Right: Metroid Prime 4 Rep, Gen VIII Pokémon, Fire Emblem Switch Rep, Rex & Pyra (New team dynamic), and then 3 possible spaces for potential future releases or existing IPs, and the last one is just the RANDOM icon.

This is a complete roster with DLC, as my original post stated. 22 newcomers all together (Mii Mage included.)

Also, Marshal is standing in for Tibby. (No Tibby image)

Also, also, the following characters have ALTS:
Bowser Jr.: Koopalings
Robin: Male & Female variations
Corrin: Male & Female variations
Villager: Male & Female variations
Olimar: Pikmin 4 Protagonist Alts
Inkling: Male & Female variations
Spring Man: Ribbon Girl Alts

Tell me what you think. Ask me questions. I got answers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Updated my roster yet again, w/ a new format.

Green border = Alternate costume
Purple border = Free DLC
Fire Emblem Black Knight is a placeholder for Black Knight from Shovel Knight, who is an alt for Shovel Knight.
78 characters on the base roster, with 3 cuts, 3 veterans returning from Brawl, and 20 newcomers.
Sorry if I come off as an attention ***** or anything, but can anyone give me feedback on my roster?

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
It's an ideal roster.
Predictions aren't my thing.
The roster is nice. It’s diverse and large, which is good.

I’m a little put off by some of the character choices, and some of the alts seem excessively unnecessary.

I’ve never understood Waluigi’s appeal. Vaati as well.

Overall, I’d give it a 7/10 personally. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’m a little put off by some of the character choices, and some of the alts seem excessively unnecessary.
Can you name any specifics aside from the ones you mentioned?

I’ve never understood Waluigi’s appeal.
It's partially for the Mario and Luigi vs Wario and Waluigi match, but also because Waluigi is my personal favorite Mario character, and I think he could have a fun moveset based on his personality.

Vaati as well.
Vaati is kind of a placeholder for a Zelda newcomer tbh. I feel that's neccesary since it's Nintendo's 3rd biggest series and 5 characters (with 2 of them being variations of existing characters) is not enough for my liking.
I personally played only 2 Zelda games (ALBW and Four Swords) so I have little knowledge of the characters, but I know Vaati is a recurning character, and more villains is always nice, AND he has a very aesthetically pleasing Smashified render, so I picked him.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Ideal roster?
Its too big for a ideal roster.
No ideal roster can be too big. The sky is the limit when it comes to them.
And I actually took a somewhat minimalistic approach when I made it, because my ideal Smash game would ultimately consist of more than just characters. 78 is a decent number imho.

Luminario

Smash Lord
View attachment 133964
I made I visual representation of my prediction for Smash 5. A non-port Smash for the Nintendo Switch. I added to more characters with the Monster Hunter (represented by Felyne, because the template I used didn't have a Monster Hunter image. Also, I know Monster Hunter World isn't coming to the Switch, but Capcom and Monster Hunter have been close to Nintendo for years. They also said they plan to support Switch.), and the Arcade Bunny (Baito; There's always that one off-the-wall character that Sakurai adds that makes us all go "...okay?", and I think Baito fits that perfectly. He loves everything Nintendo what is what Smash is and more, so I added him, and even partial came up with a moveset.)

For all the "?'s" from Top to Bottom & Left to Right: Metroid Prime 4 Rep, Gen VIII Pokémon, Fire Emblem Switch Rep, Rex & Pyra (New team dynamic), and then 3 possible spaces for potential future releases or existing IPs, and the last one is just the RANDOM icon.

This is a complete roster with DLC, as my original post stated. 22 newcomers all together (Mii Mage included.)

Also, Marshal is standing in for Tibby. (No Tibby image)

Also, also, the following characters have ALTS:
Bowser Jr.: Koopalings
Robin: Male & Female variations
Corrin: Male & Female variations
Villager: Male & Female variations
Olimar: Pikmin 4 Protagonist Alts
Inkling: Male & Female variations
Spring Man: Ribbon Girl Alts

Tell me what you think. Ask me questions. I got answers.
I know you added the Felyne as a placeholder, but I think using one as an actual Monster Hunter rep would be better than an unnamed hunter. Felynes seem to be much more a Monster Hunter mascot
Loving the Arcade Bunny as a wtf rep. What kind of moveset did you have in mind?
Also doesn't the Dragon Quest Hero guy have male and female variations too?

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I know you added the Felyne as a placeholder, but I think using one as an actual Monster Hunter rep would be better than an unnamed hunter. Felynes seem to be much more a Monster Hunter mascot
Loving the Arcade Bunny as a wtf rep. What kind of moveset did you have in mind?
Also doesn't the Dragon Quest Hero guy have male and female variations too?
I just figured the character that represents Monster Hunter would just be called that because that’s what they are. A monster hunter. I wouldn’t mind the Felyne though. I love cats. I just think “Monster Hunter” would fit better.

I was unaware of the male and female options for the Dragon Quest character. I’ll fix that! Thanks. If I am not mistaken, the newest Dragon Quest protag has no default name either. He is simple referred to as “Hero”. So I guess “Hero” and “Heroine”. :)

The Arcade Bunny has a collaborative moveset, but also his own unique moves. He’d use moves, attributes, and characters across the entire Nintendo spectrum, and of course, badges. He’s Nintendo’s biggest fan. I can go in detail more later. I’m at work currently. His Final Smash is the bomb crane. He gets 3-5 chances to drop huge bombs on the stage that cause massive damage and knock back.

D

Deleted member

Sorry if I come off as an attention ***** or anything, but can anyone give me feedback on my roster?
Other than Shovel Knight's very confusing placement on the roster and some nitpicks such as Pokémon coming before Kirby and Earthbound, it seems fine to me.

A bit saddened to see Slippy gone, but I'll live. :p

D

Deleted member

Other than Shovel Knight's very confusing placement on the roster and some nitpicks such as Pokémon coming before Kirby and Earthbound, it seems fine to me.
I felt that Pokemon should be first because of its importance. I also placed Fire Emblem before Kid Icarus for the same reason (It's still a growing franchise but I think you get my point)
Shovel Knight couldn't fit with the rest of the 3rd parties, so I placed him in the center of the line on top of the 3rd parties.

A bit saddened to see Slippy gone, but I'll live. :p
Yeah, I had to make some sacrifices, and Slippy was unfortunately quite low on my priority list. Never forget.
Fox didn't get this guy off him.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Slippy Toad had been a favorite odd pick for me as well. And honestly he'd be a hilarious and very iconic addition to Smash.

Thinking he would play quite a bit like Smash 4's Falco. In terms of weight and jumping abilities then. Slippy would probably have some basic similarities with the rest of the Star Fox Gang, and somewhat of a joke character. I wouldn't mind him at all and he's a very ironic Nintendo character. Often underestimated even I think, as he did appear in the Brawl Star Fox codex conversations.

Would play him definitely.

D

Deleted member

Does anyone have a decent 3D image of Rex w/o background? I'm making a more aesthetically pleasing version of my roster and I don't want to use 2D art (Aside from Tibby, due to the Sneaky Spirits being in 2D in Smash Run).

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
heyo, been thinking a lot about Smash Bros lately (which is what led me back here.
I decided to plan out what i feel could be a possible roster for Smash 5 (possibly post DLC?) 79 characters, 23 newcomers, 4* characters dropped from Smash 4, and the return of 2 veterans from Brawl.

Alt costumes:
Mario -> Dr. Mario
Bowser Jr. -> 8 Koopalings
Robin -> Female
Corrin -> Female
Villager -> Female
Olimar -> Alph
Wii Fit Trainer -> Male
Inkling -> Male

my reasonings and ramblings

*I tried to keep things reasonable, but I'd say this is more an ideal roster than a proper prediction. 79 characters is a bit big after all.

*When laying out the roster I tried to keep it official looking and "clean" keeping it to an even shape (rectangle) and also making sure my characters were grouped similar to the official games. series with multiple representatives took priority on the left, in the order that there series first game was released, and then any gaps on the right were filled out by singe rep series characters in order of release. For series with multiple representatives instead of organizing the characters by when they were introduced to their series, I decided to organise them by smash bros debut order. and heroes first, villains second (eg: Mario and Luigi were in the first smash bros, peach and Bowser debuted in melee peach is a "hero" Bowser is a "villain" so Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser etc etc) 3rd party characters were put at the end of the list, but also organised by when their series debuted. and finally Mii fighters at the very end next to random.

*Yoshi and Wario were put at the end of the Mario series reps because on top of being Mario series characters, the also represent their own series.

*I tried to get a good balance of new characters for existing smash series as well as series that haven't been in smash yet.

*I may have gone a little Mario heavy which led me to removing Dr. Mario as a Clone and move him into being an Alt Costume for Mario, I felt out of him, Lucina and Dark Pit he was also the one who was the most... removable?

*Given that Donkey Kong and Zelda are fairly major franchises that didn't recieve any new characters in smash 4, i felt it was reasonable for both to recieve 2 newcomers this time.

*A lot of my characters choices were based on "this character is pretty popoular and has some demand for them" or "this character is inevitable" in Inkling's case. though i feel Inkling would fit well.

*Some of my choices were purely due to me liking the character and thus they may be slightly less likely choices

*If a character already has an amiibo from another game i felt this was a point in their favor for inclusion. (Inkling, Alm, Chibi-Robo and Qbby) but characters didn't solely get in because they had an amiibo already

*Out of any potential mario reps I felt that Waluigi, Captain Toad and Geno were the best choices.

*Waluigi is a mainstay of the series who could have a lot of potential for a moveset based on the wacky abilities he has in the various sports titles. creating tornadoes and vines and stuff. people who say Waluigi doesn't have anything going for him besides sports equipment just haven't done their homework.

*Captain Toad has become a fairly prominent character in the Mario franchise, appearing in most recent games. and even getting a game of his own. even Waluigi hasn't had that yet. his inability to jump could be problematic to making him work in smash. but he definitely has the presence to deserve inclusion.

*Geno has long been requested by fans and Sakurai had even considered adding him to a smash game at one time. there may be some issues with Square having the rights to him. but if Cloud and the Geno costume in Smash 4 are any indication, they may be able to work something out and make many fans happy.

*outside of Link, Zelda and Gannondorf, only a handful of characters in the Zelda franchise have reappeared in multiple games. among the more prominent are Tingle and Impa. and while Tingle's appearances are more consistent compared to impa who has been everything from an elderly granny to a slender mystic to a beefy bodyguard. Impa feels like a better fit for a fighting game than Tingle who suits being an assist trophy better. Sakurai would have plenty of different Impas to draw inspiration from. although personally i'd hope Hyrule Warriors Impa would be where most of her moveset comes from. Impa just feels like a fitting addition to me.

*Initially I wanted giant blue pig monster Ganon as my second Zelda newcomer. but felt many would reject the idea due to "Ganon" already being the final smash for Ganondorf. so I went with my next best choice from the franchise, Vaati. he's had multple appearances and would be a good secondary villain rep.

*Bandana Dee deserves to be in smash. (I'm a supporter of him if you couldn't tell from my username :p) I could go on for AGES about why he deserves to be in. but I will just leave it at. Reoccurring character with unique moveset potential for a popular series. if you need any more convincing. just head on over to his support page.

*Krystal is a pretty heavily requested character. I admittedly don't know much about the Star Fox franchise so she is in there more due to me seeing her as a popular and potential choice. and also because I doubt her moveset would be anything like the other 3 star fox characters.

*Takamaru was always an interesting character to me. and after playing his game, its a lot of fun. he'd be a great new retro rep. and Sakurai has said before that he'd want to include him as a playable character but felt his lack of popularity outside of japan made him not be a viable choice. after his appearance in smash 4 as an assist trophy, getting a mini-game in Nintendo land. and having his game released on virtual console outside of japan. this seems like less of an issue now, so i think it's about time Takamaru had his chance.

*Isaac and the Chorus kids both seem to be pretty heavily requested and feel unique enough that I decided to include them.

*Chibi-Robo is in a bit of an odd place, he's had several games released, and even has an amiibo. but his series hasn't done super well. he may not be super likely to get in. but I feel he is deserving of a chance in smash bros. especially since that may help rejuvenate interest in his franchise. there's tons of moveset potential and he'd make a good fit. it all comes down to whether or not sakurai decides he is worth including. but I feel he is.

*Qbby may seem like an odd choice, but his series has been quite well recieved. enough that he even got his own amiibo. and despite the 3rd game in the series being referred to as the last game. there's been some hints lately that a new game may be on the horizon. there hasn't really been much in the way of eShop representation in samsh (outside of Dillon being an assist trophy) and personally i feel that out of all nintendos eShop IPs, BoxBoy is one of the better ones and Qbby has some good potential as a smash character.

*Inkling, Springman, King K Rool and Dixie all feel like they are inevitable and guaranteed to be in at this point. (maybe less so Springman, but I still feel Nintendo will want to promote their newer IPs)

*Starfy is an oddball left field choice for an unexpected character. not much to say other than it'd be a surprise.

*My 3rd party choices i tried to keep to a minimum and I feel several smash 4 3rd party characters won't return for 5 due to licensing issues. so I kept some of the more major characters (maybe that's just in my eyes though?) and then included some new 3rd party characters.

*Banjo and Kazooie may belong to Rare who now belong to Microsoft, but the characters have a history with Nintendo and a very loyal following. and there's been claims from Microsoft that they'd be cool with Banjo in smash, so why not? plus, it's been my dream to play as Banjo in smash since i was 11. just give him to me dammit

*Bomberman really feels like he would fit in smash, and given his series was revived as a switch launch title i feel he has a pretty good shot at getting in.

*A final fantasy rep in smash was a good idea. but I personally don't feel Cloud was the best choice. Black Mage, to me, feels like a much more fitting choice for smash bros. especially given his appearance in Mario hoops 3 on 3 and Mario sports mix. he has more of a connection to Nintendo than Cloud does.

*Shantae was chosen due to being a fairly popular/requested character. and I felt she has a better shot than Shovel Knight due to having more of a History with Nintendo. but she is probably my least likely 3rd party choice.

*Decidueye and Alm were added since i felt those franchises were major enough to get another character next game, despite how many characters they both already have. and Decidueye and Alm seemed like the best choices AT THIS CURRENT TIME. however, if smash 5 ends up being several years away, we'd have possibly moved on to a new pokemon generation by then and the upcoming Switch Fire Emblem game may have come out already, in which case those 2 would be replaced with characters from the newest games.

Since that roster is a little... large I also made a shaved down more reasonable (read: pessimistic) roster prediction.

But i'd rather hope for the big one.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My thoughts (Mostly subjective)
++++++++++++++++++++My top 3 Decidueye, Wolf and K. Rool are there, so I already like this roster.
+++Isaac, haven't progressed too much in GS yet but I like it alrwady, and Isaac would be very unique.
+++Waluigi and Captain Toad are the perfect Mario newcomers IMO.
++Vaati, Dee, Dixie and Takamaru are cool
++Chorus Men aren't my ideal RH choice, but I'd be fine with anything really.
+ICs, Inkling and Spring Man are obvious choices. They're not deal breakers for me but they'd be nice to see.
=Geno, as long as it means SMRPG music, I'm cool with him.
=I'm completely neutral with Impa, Krystal and Starfy.
=Banjo and Shantae are pretty meh with me.
-/=QBBY?
- Chibi-Robo. I don't really see the appeal, aside from his SSF2 moveset.
-- More Fire Emblem (7 is a bit too much imo)
-- Doc as an alt (not opposed to cutting him but I think demoting clones into alts is a bad move, unless he still has his differences)
--- Black Mage over Cloud. I get that Cloud hasn't made any Nintendo appearences, but he's still a unique veteran. Also, if Cloud won't return because of licensing issues, why would Black Mage and Geno be in?
-------- Third party cuts. I also don't get your reasons as to why they won't return because of licensing issues - Bayonetta is owned by Sega as is Sonic, and Ryu is the same except with Mega Man and Capcom.
-------- Snake? Snake! Snaaaaaaaake!
--------------- Bomberman just doesn't appeal to me whatsoever.
Overall it's a pretty solid roster, some newcomers are pretty questionable, but the good ones make up for it. 7.5/10 Would play.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
heyo, been thinking a lot about Smash Bros lately (which is what led me back here.
I decided to plan out what i feel could be a possible roster for Smash 5 (possibly post DLC?) 79 characters, 23 newcomers, 4* characters dropped from Smash 4, and the return of 2 veterans from Brawl.

Alt costumes:
Mario -> Dr. Mario
Robin -> Female
Corrin -> Female
Villager -> Female
Olimar -> Alph
Wii Fit Trainer -> Male
Inkling -> Male

*I tried to keep things reasonable, but I'd say this is more an ideal roster than a proper prediction. 79 characters is a bit big after all.

*When laying out the roster I tried to keep it official looking and "clean" keeping it to an even shape (rectangle) and also making sure my characters were grouped similar to the official games. series with multiple representatives took priority on the left, in the order that there series first game was released, and then any gaps on the right were filled out by singe rep series characters in order of release. For series with multiple representatives instead of organizing the characters by when they were introduced to their series, I decided to organise them by smash bros debut order. and heroes first, villains second (eg: Mario and Luigi were in the first smash bros, peach and Bowser debuted in melee peach is a "hero" Bowser is a "villain" so Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser etc etc) 3rd party characters were put at the end of the list, but also organised by when their series debuted. and finally Mii fighters at the very end next to random.

*Yoshi and Wario were put at the end of the Mario series reps because on top of being Mario series characters, the also represent their own series.

*I tried to get a good balance of new characters for existing smash series as well as series that haven't been in smash yet.

*I may have gone a little Mario heavy which led me to removing Dr. Mario as a Clone and move him into being an Alt Costume for Mario, I felt out of him, Lucina and Dark Pit he was also the one who was the most... removable?

*Given that Donkey Kong and Zelda are fairly major franchises that didn't recieve any new characters in smash 4, i felt it was reasonable for both to recieve 2 newcomers this time.

*A lot of my characters choices were based on "this character is pretty popoular and has some demand for them" or "this character is inevitable" in Inkling's case. though i feel Inkling would fit well.

*Some of my choices were purely due to me liking the character and thus they may be slightly less likely choices

*If a character already has an amiibo from another game i felt this was a point in their favor for inclusion. (Inkling, Alm, Chibi-Robo and Qbby) but characters didn't solely get in because they had an amiibo already

*Out of any potential mario reps I felt that Waluigi, Captain Toad and Geno were the best choices.

*Waluigi is a mainstay of the series who could have a lot of potential for a moveset based on the wacky abilities he has in the various sports titles. creating tornadoes and vines and stuff. people who say Waluigi doesn't have anything going for him besides sports equipment just haven't done their homework.

*Captain Toad has become a fairly prominent character in the Mario franchise, appearing in most recent games. and even getting a game of his own. even Waluigi hasn't had that yet. his inability to jump could be problematic to making him work in smash. but he definitely has the presence to deserve inclusion.

*Geno has long been requested by fans and Sakurai had even considered adding him to a smash game at one time. there may be some issues with Square having the rights to him. but if Cloud and the Geno costume in Smash 4 are any indication, they may be able to work something out and make many fans happy.

*outside of Link, Zelda and Gannondorf, only a handful of characters in the Zelda franchise have reappeared in multiple games. among the more prominent are Tingle and Impa. and while Tingle's appearances are more consistent compared to impa who has been everything from an elderly granny to a slender mystic to a beefy bodyguard. Impa feels like a better fit for a fighting game than Tingle who suits being an assist trophy better. Sakurai would have plenty of different Impas to draw inspiration from. although personally i'd hope Hyrule Warriors Impa would be where most of her moveset comes from. Impa just feels like a fitting addition to me.

*Initially I wanted giant blue pig monster Ganon as my second Zelda newcomer. but felt many would reject the idea due to "Ganon" already being the final smash for Ganondorf. so I went with my next best choice from the franchise, Vaati. he's had multple appearances and would be a good secondary villain rep.

*Bandana Dee deserves to be in smash. (I'm a supporter of him if you couldn't tell from my username :p) I could go on for AGES about why he deserves to be in. but I will just leave it at. Reoccurring character with unique moveset potential for a popular series. if you need any more convincing. just head on over to his support page.

*Krystal is a pretty heavily requested character. I admittedly don't know much about the Star Fox franchise so she is in there more due to me seeing her as a popular and potential choice. and also because I doubt her moveset would be anything like the other 3 star fox characters.

*Takamaru was always an interesting character to me. and after playing his game, its a lot of fun. he'd be a great new retro rep. and Sakurai has said before that he'd want to include him as a playable character but felt his lack of popularity outside of japan made him not be a viable choice. after his appearance in smash 4 as an assist trophy, getting a mini-game in Nintendo land. and having his game released on virtual console outside of japan. this seems like less of an issue now, so i think it's about time Takamaru had his chance.

*Isaac and the Chorus kids both seem to be pretty heavily requested and feel unique enough that I decided to include them.

*Chibi-Robo is in a bit of an odd place, he's had several games released, and even has an amiibo. but his series hasn't done super well. he may not be super likely to get in. but I feel he is deserving of a chance in smash bros. especially since that may help rejuvenate interest in his franchise. there's tons of moveset potential and he'd make a good fit. it all comes down to whether or not sakurai decides he is worth including. but I feel he is.

*Qbby may seem like an odd choice, but his series has been quite well recieved. enough that he even got his own amiibo. and despite the 3rd game in the series being referred to as the last game. there's been some hints lately that a new game may be on the horizon. there hasn't really been much in the way of eShop representation in samsh (outside of Dillon being an assist trophy) and personally i feel that out of all nintendos eShop IPs, BoxBoy is one of the better ones and Qbby has some good potential as a smash character.

*Inkling, Springman, King K Rool and Dixie all feel like they are inevitable and guaranteed to be in at this point. (maybe less so Springman, but I still feel Nintendo will want to promote their newer IPs)

*Starfy is an oddball left field choice for an unexpected character. not much to say other than it'd be a surprise.

*My 3rd party choices i tried to keep to a minimum and I feel several smash 4 3rd party characters won't return for 5 due to licensing issues. so I kept some of the more major characters (maybe that's just in my eyes though?) and then included some new 3rd party characters.

*Banjo and Kazooie may belong to Rare who now belong to Microsoft, but the characters have a history with Nintendo and a very loyal following. and there's been claims from Microsoft that they'd be cool with Banjo in smash, so why not? plus, it's been my dream to play as Banjo in smash since i was 11. just give him to me dammit

*Bomberman really feels like he would fit in smash, and given his series was revived as a switch launch title i feel he has a pretty good shot at getting in.

*A final fantasy rep in smash was a good idea. but I personally don't feel Cloud was the best choice. Black Mage, to me, feels like a much more fitting choice for smash bros. especially given his appearance in Mario hoops 3 on 3 and Mario sports mix. he has more of a connection to Nintendo than Cloud does.

*Shantae was chosen due to being a fairly popular/requested character. and I felt she has a better shot than Shovel Knight due to having more of a History with Nintendo. but she is probably my least likely 3rd party choice.

*Decidueye and Alm were added since i felt those franchises were major enough to get another character next game, despite how many characters they both already have. and Decidueye and Alm seemed like the best choices AT THIS CURRENT TIME. however, if smash 5 ends up being several years away, we'd have possibly moved on to a new pokemon generation by then and the upcoming Switch Fire Emblem game may have come out already, in which case those 2 would be replaced with characters from the newest games.

Since that roster is a little... large I also made a shaved down more reasonable (read: pessimistic) roster prediction.

Seeing Geno and Black Mage fighting each other is just perfect for me.

The Smash Nerd II.0.

Smash Journeyman

Alt costumes:
Mario -> Dr. Mario
Robin -> Female
Corrin -> Female
Villager -> Female
Olimar -> Alph
Wii Fit Trainer -> Male
Inkling -> Male

Good. But if i were you.
  • I cut :4darkpit: Banjo and :4mii:fighters.
  • Make :4darkpit: a alt of :4pit:
  • And bringing back :4drmario::4ryu:and:4bayonetta:

Luminario

Smash Lord

I'd be alright with this roster. I wouldn't be ecstatic but I'd go for it.
I'm liking the choice of Black Mage over Cloud. Black Mage would represent FF as a whole much better.
I'm curious about the choice of Alm and Qbby though. Celica has a more potential and more dynamic design to stand out (plus I think she's more popular too), and while Qbby probably has enough to work with in regards to using squares for all his normal attacks, I'm finding it difficult to see how he'd have a moveset that really works for Smash that isn't just based on how unusual it would look.
It's a shame you cut most characters I'd care for, but seeing as this is the pessimistic roster I understand. I can't really see them keeping all the FE cast + 2 FE newcomers if this is the limited roster.

UserKev

Smash Champion
What makes everyone so positive for Decidueye? I'm noticing its on every fan made roster I see.

Luminario

Smash Lord
What makes everyone so positive for Decidueye? I'm noticing its on every fan made roster I see.
It's the go-to Gen 7 Pokemon rep. It's got a body type that can work for Smash, popularity thanks to being a starter, and it completes the Grass/Water/Fire trio which people want completed simply cause it looks nice. It also kinda looks edgy and cool without going overboard which works really well for the general demographic of Smashboards. We know there's gonna be another Pokemon rep, so if you don't feel strongly about any of the other candidates you just throw in Decidueye.

Last edited:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for all the comments/ critique everyone.

I actually slightly altered my roster this morning. (but won't bother posting a new picture)
After thinking it over I decided to remove Shantae from my roster. I wanted to limit the amount of 3rd party characters and was never really super into the idea of including her. she was mostly there because I knew there were quite a few people out there that wanted her. but thinking it over. I feel she doesn't have quite as high a chance as a lot of the others on my roster.

with her spot removed from my perfect rectangle. I was able to give Dr. Mario back his own slot on the roster instead of being an alt costume for Mario.

tl.dr
Shantae out, Dr. Mario no longer an Alt.

My thoughts (Mostly subjective)
++++++++++++++++++++My top 3 Decidueye, Wolf and K. Rool are there, so I already like this roster.
+++Isaac, haven't progressed too much in GS yet but I like it alrwady, and Isaac would be very unique.
+++Waluigi and Captain Toad are the perfect Mario newcomers IMO.
++Vaati, Dee, Dixie and Takamaru are cool
++Chorus Men aren't my ideal RH choice, but I'd be fine with anything really.
+ICs, Inkling and Spring Man are obvious choices. They're not deal breakers for me but they'd be nice to see.
=Geno, as long as it means SMRPG music, I'm cool with him.
=I'm completely neutral with Impa, Krystal and Starfy.
=Banjo and Shantae are pretty meh with me.
-/=QBBY?
- Chibi-Robo. I don't really see the appeal, aside from his SSF2 moveset.
-- More Fire Emblem (7 is a bit too much imo)
-- Doc as an alt (not opposed to cutting him but I think demoting clones into alts is a bad move, unless he still has his differences)
--- Black Mage over Cloud. I get that Cloud hasn't made any Nintendo appearences, but he's still a unique veteran. Also, if Cloud won't return because of licensing issues, why would Black Mage and Geno be in?
-------- Third party cuts. I also don't get your reasons as to why they won't return because of licensing issues - Bayonetta is owned by Sega as is Sonic, and Ryu is the same except with Mega Man and Capcom.
-------- Snake? Snake! Snaaaaaaaake!
--------------- Bomberman just doesn't appeal to me whatsoever.
Overall it's a pretty solid roster, some newcomers are pretty questionable, but the good ones make up for it. 7.5/10 Would play.
in regards to the 3rd parties. you are right. after i posted my roster it did dawn on me that my "licensing issues" claim made no sense.
when building that roster i removed most of the 3rd party characters from the smash 4 because "there'd probably be some that wouldn't return due to licensing and stuff" which is where my claim came from. but then silly me went and pretty much used the exact same companies for my 3rd party newcomers. so that claim ended up being meaningless.

I view the 3rd party characters kind of similar to the guest characters in the Soul Calibur series, and so I don't really expect them all to return for every future game. some may stick around. some would go and some new ones would come. so that's what I did. kept a few (Sonic, Megaman, Pacman) dropped a few (Bayoneeta, Ryu, Cloud) and added some new ones (Banjo & Kazooie, Bomberman, Black Mage and formerly Shantae)

the chorus kids were my choice since after the whole Gematsu thing they are basically the go to rhythm heaven rep. but really I would be ok with anyone from that series.

I agree that 7 fire emblem characters is too much. but the series has become quite popular and after getting 3 newcomers in smash 4 it made me feel like it was going to end up like Pokemon and basically be getting newcomers every game. ideally i wouldn't have wanted any new FE characters. but since i felt it was likely there'd be at least 1 i decided to include 1.

I actually have barely touched SSF2 so I forgot chibi robo was even in that game. I've just always found the character kind of charming and enjoyed what i played of his first game. he has enough silly tools at his disposal to build a moveset out of and i felt he deserved a chance in smash (partially as a way to breathe more life into the series)

I'm liking the choice of Black Mage over Cloud. Black Mage would represent FF as a whole much better.
That's how I felt too. Black Mage works better to represent the Final Fantasy series as a whole far better than Cloud does and also feels like a better fit in smash than Cloud. he also has more of a history and connection with Nintendo. he (and a few other FF classes/characters) even appeared alongside the cast of the mushroom kingdom in Mario Hoops 3 on 3 and Mario Sports Mix. So I feel like he'd be a very fitting addition to the roster.

I'm curious about the choice of Alm and Qbby though. Celica has a more potential and more dynamic design to stand out (plus I think she's more popular too),
I'll be honest, I know very little about Fire Emblem. my choosing Alm came down to "ok, who were those new amiibo of?" "ok the male swordsman is probably the more likely of the two. i'll go with that" like i said in my reasoning though. if the switch Fire Emblem game came out before/around the same time as smash 5 I'd expect a rep from that over Alm or Celica or Chrom or anyone else from a previous title.

and while Qbby probably has enough to work with in regards to using squares for all his normal attacks, I'm finding it difficult to see how he'd have a moveset that really works for Smash that isn't just based on how unusual it would look.
I know Qbby is a bit of an unorthodox choice. but that's honestly what makes me want to see him included so much. seeing how Sakurai and the smash devs could take Qbby and his box making abiliies and other aspects of his game and work them into a moveset would be really intersting.

having boxes for throwing. guarding, creating terrain, grabbing ledges, snaking around.
if they include some of the stage hazards in his moveset as well that would give him more to work with. lasers, and Spikies. and other stuff like that.
Plus the new abilities he got in ByeBye BoxBoy would also really help flesh out his move set.
I'm probably a little biased towards Qbby since i really enjoy the BoxBoy series and find him oddly adorable. (you know, for a box with eyes and legs) but I do feel he has some actual potential

Also, if it helps make Qbby seem more appealing and less silly an idea. my roster at one point also included the Virtual Boy console as a character. similar to R.O.B so. I could have suggested something much weirder :p

Luminario pretty much summed it up. it is basically the Greninja of this generation. it's the most popular of the fully evolved starters. it has that slight "edgy coolness" to it. its first form Rowlet is one of Ash's Pokemon in the current season. it fits in nicely with the Fire type Charizard and the Water type Greninja to make a trio. and was even added to Pokken Tournament DX as a playable character.
plus at least 1 new Pokemon character is basically a given for each smash
That said. i feel like if Generation 8 comes out before or around the same time as Smash 5, they'd pick a Pokemon from it instead of Decidueye. but with the current generation. Decidueye is the most likely pick[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

The Smash Nerd II.0.

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for all the comments/ critique everyone.

I actually slightly altered my roster this morning. (but won't bother posting a new picture)
After thinking it over I decided to remove Shantae from my roster. I wanted to limit the amount of 3rd party characters and was never really super into the idea of including her. she was mostly there because I knew there were quite a few people out there that wanted her. but thinking it over. I feel she doesn't have quite as high a chance as a lot of the others on my roster.

with her spot removed from my perfect rectangle. I was able to give Dr. Mario back his own slot on the roster instead of being an alt costume for Mario.

tl.dr
Shantae out, Dr. Mario no longer an Alt.
What! I told you to keep Shantee, not cut her.
(But I said this out loud and not in the post)

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I know a lot of people want Medusa or Hades, and vice versa, but I chose Hades for a few reasons.

He’s the true main antagonist. Medusa may have been in more games, but I think his moveset potential is greater than Medusa’s. I’m also afraid Medusa would just become a sort of “Dark Palutena”, and I don’t think that’d really make anyone happy. I like Medusa, but when it came to choosing who deserves it more, in my eyes, it’s Hades. I think Hades will return in any potential future installments of the series.

On a personal note, I like his banter, and his sass.

*Post Edit Side-Note!* I know adding Medusa would add a villain and female representation, but I still choose Hades for the simple fact that I think he’d be more unique in his moveset, and his presence would still constitute a villain being playable.
Thing is Hades is just as likely to become a clone of Ganondorf. Personally I choose Medusa but Hades is good too. His abilities aren't as varied as Medusa but Medusa has a staff similar to Palutena. So it's like 50/50 imo. I think it's very close between them.

Alt costumes:
Mario -> Dr. Mario
Robin -> Female
Corrin -> Female
Villager -> Female
Olimar -> Alph
Wii Fit Trainer -> Male
Inkling -> Male

Interested in reasons behind qbby. I think Alm would be not relevant enough it's likely someone from FE 2018.and even then it would likely be Celica she's in warriors and is more popular I think.

Overall a good roster tho.......3rd party cuts.....and idk seems lacking on number of newcomers.

Last edited:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
What! I told you to keep Shantee, not cut her.
(But I said this out loud and not in the post)
Sorry to disappoint :p

Interested in reasons behind qbby. I think Alm would be not relevant enough it's likely someone from FE 2018.and even then it would likely be Celica she's in warriors and is more popular I think.

Overall a good roster tho.......3rd party cuts.....and idk seems lacking on number of newcomers.
Yeah I tried not to go too overboard with 3rd party characters or with Newcomers. but maybe I limited myself a little too much.

My reasoning for Alm mostly amount to me not knowing much about the series. I should have just used a generic Fire Emblem logo at not picked a character. but yeah like I mentioned in an above post. He was just a choice with minimal thought and someone from the Switch Fire Emblem would easily take that spot if it has released by/around the time of Smash 5

As for Qbby, I discussed it a little above. but have also now created a support thread for him. https://smashboards.com/threads/an-outside-of-the-box-idea-qbby-for-smash-support-thread.451824/ so if you're interested you could read about it there.
But the basic idea is, I feel there should be an eShop rep and Qbby makes for the most interesting choice in my opinion.

Mr.ケイ

Smash Apprentice
Characters with a realistic chance of making it: Shantae
Characters that are only possible through franchise revitalization: Issac, Andy, Krystal
Wishful thinking: Replacing Ganondorf with Pig-Beast Ganon, remove or redo all clone/semi-clone characters

Ferbo.

Smash Rookie
NNID
sentridoh
3DS FC
2810-2661-6409
Switch FC
SW-1953-2632-6702
Waluigi has just gotta be in, and tbh I think he could play something like:4wiifit: or :4littlemac:

I can't be the only one who thinks this.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Characters with a realistic chance of making it: Shantae
Characters that are only possible through franchise revitalization: Issac, Andy, Krystal
Wishful thinking: Replacing Ganondorf with Pig-Beast Ganon, remove or redo all clone/semi-clone characters
Waluigi has just gotta be in, and tbh I think he could play something like:4wiifit: or :4littlemac:

I can't be the only one who thinks this.

These types of posts should be in the Main Speculation Thread.

If you specific characters you're interested in, there's various Support threads as well to post in.

This thread is either for making a roster for someone to talk about or to talk about a roster somebody posted. It's not for general roster ideas that are somewhat random thoughts.

Ferbo.

Smash Rookie
NNID
sentridoh
3DS FC
2810-2661-6409
Switch FC
SW-1953-2632-6702
These types of posts should be in the Main Speculation Thread.

If you specific characters you're interested in, there's various Support threads as well to post in.

This thread is either for making a roster for someone to talk about or to talk about a roster somebody posted. It's not for general roster ideas that are somewhat random thoughts.
Oh, sorry about that.

D

Deleted member

Updated roster:
Smesh Roster.png

Removed Isabelle (Sorry Luminario) and Hayabusa for Mii Fighters and Hades.
I know I'm contradicting myself for adding Hades since I said there was too much Kid Icarus content in Sm4sh but I guess it's fine if there are less Smash Run enemies
Side notes:
Mario gets some new moves while Dr. Mario mostly maintains his current moveset, making him somewhat of a Mario/Luigi semiclone
Dark Pit has completely different A moves (uses DP staff), similarly to Lucas and Wolf
Dixie Kong is a new Wolf-esque semiclone
Lucina uses skills and can swap to her signature Lance Geirskögul, her Final Smash is changed to Robin's Final Smash from 4 (If Chrom is selected they swap roles) and Robin's Final Smash is changed
Toon Link uses Fire Arrow and WW items
Wario has more Wario Land moves
Ganondorf has a projectile for Nspecial, Forward Smash is this, volcano kick is moved to Down Smash and Ganon is now a fully fledged transformation like Giga Bowser
All Pokemon have shiny palette swaps
Roy has a projectile for his Final Smash
Falco uses his Arwing for his Final Smash
Wolf uses his walker from Star Fox Zero for his Final Smash and his down b is an explosive
Sonic is less terrible now and has less ball moves
Mii Costumes are now inspired by fighters (unlocked by completing all-star mode) and effect stats as well (No more K. Rool/Geno/Inkling situations)
Simon's alts are: Trevor, Richter, and Julius
Mario - Costumes from Odyssey (minus character-inspired outfits, Skeleton, Gold Mario, Dr. Mario, and his alternate colors)
Bowser - Dry Bowser
Wario - Overalls
Donkey Kong - Boxer
K. Rool - Kaptain/Mad Scientist/Boxer
Link and Zelda - OoT/SS/BoTW
Sheik - OoT
Ganondorf - OoT/WW
Corrin, Robin, Wii Fit Trainer - Gender Swaps
Pikachu - Ash-Pikachu/Detective Pikachu/Cosplay Pikachu
Villager, Inklings - Gender swaps with different designs in each palette swap
Cloud - Advent Children
Bayonetta - Bayonetta 1

Feel free to comment on my roster!
Edit: For the record, Waluigi counts a Wario character, despite never appearing an an actual Wario game.
Edit2: Forgot to mention:
Kirby's FS is changed to Hypernova
Dedede's FS is changed to Masked Dedede (transformation)
Ness has PSI Rockin
Greninja now transforms into Ash-Greninja in its Final Smash, but this is purely cosmetic
Pikachu's FS is Gigavolt Havoc

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Updated roster:
View attachment 134084
I know I'm contradicting myself for adding Hades since I said there was too much Kid Icarus content in Sm4sh but I guess it's fine if there are less Smash Run enemies
Side notes:
Mario gets some new moves while Dr. Mario mostly maintains his current moveset, making him somewhat of a Mario/Luigi semiclone
Dark Pit has completely different A moves (uses DP staff), similarly to Lucas and Wolf
Lucina uses skills and can swap to a Silver Lance, her Final Smash is changed to Robin's Final Smash from 4 (If Chrom is selected they swap roles) and Robin's Final Smash is changed
Ganondorf has a projectile for Nspecial, Forward Smash is this, volcano kick is moved to Down Smash and Ganon is now a fully fledged transformation like Giga Bowser
Wolf uses his walker from Star Fox Zero for his Final Smash and his down b is an explosive
Mii Costumes are now inspired by fighters (unlocked by completing all-star mode) and effect stats as well (No more K. Rool/Geno/Inkling situations)
Mario - Costumes from Odyssey (minus character-inspired outfits, Skeleton, Gold Mario, Dr. Mario, and his alternate colors)
Bowser - Dry Bowser
Wario - Overalls
Donkey Kong - Boxer
Sheik - OoT
Ganondorf - OoT/WW
Cloud - Advent Children
Bayonetta - Bayonetta 1

Edit: For the record, Waluigi counts a Wario character, despite never appearing an an actual Wario game.
Minor of course, but why have Lucina's lance be a generic Silver Lance? Heroes gave her a brand new signature lance, the Geirskögul, so I think that'd be a better fit.

D

Deleted member

Minor of course, but why have Lucina's lance be a generic Silver Lance? Heroes gave her a brand new signature lance, the Geirskögul, so I think that'd be a better fit.
I don't play Heroes so I didn't know about that. I guess she could use it instead.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Removed Isabelle (Sorry Luminario)
Not my baby :urg: I'm hurt.

For the Lucina FS situation, I'm not entirely sure that having a character appear as an alt and also in a FS is something that the devs would likely do, as they seem to avoid having any duplicates that aren't fighters (like in the case of Dedede not appearing on Dreamland 64, or Toon Link not appearing on Spirit Tracks when the respective fighters are on the field)

D

Deleted member

Not my baby :urg: I'm hurt.

For the Lucina FS situation, I'm not entirely sure that having a character appear as an alt and also in a FS is something that the devs would likely do, as they seem to avoid having any duplicates that aren't fighters (like in the case of Dedede not appearing on Dreamland 64, or Toon Link not appearing on Spirit Tracks when the respective fighters are on the field)
Like I said, they swap roles if Chrom is selected.
Unless you're talking about if Lucina uses it against Chrom... I actually thought about that before and, I imagine Chrom/Lucina would come out of an outrealm gate as Einherjar, complete with glowing models like the Awakening Einherjars (Assuming it's possible).

D

Deleted member

Updated roster:
View attachment 134084
Side notes:
Lucina uses skills and can swap to her signature Lance Geirskögul, her Final Smash is changed to Robin's Final Smash from 4 (If Chrom is selected they swap roles) and Robin's Final Smash is changed
Bowser - Dry Bowser
Wario - Overalls
Donkey Kong - Boxer
Sheik - OoT
Ganondorf - OoT/WW
Cloud - Advent Children
Bayonetta - Bayonetta 1

Edit2: Forgot to mention:
Kirby's FS is changed to Hypernova
Dedede's FS is changed to Masked Dedede (transformation)
Ness has PSI Rockin
Greninja now transforms into Ash-Greninja in its Final Smash, but this is purely cosmetic
Pikachu's FS is Gigavolt Havoc
Little Mac should be after Mr. Game & Watch and before Duck Hunt. :V

(Sorry, but I am kind of OCD on that sort of thing. :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom