• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Early Smash 5 Fan-Made Rosters (Ideal or Prediction)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Little Mac should be after Mr. Game & Watch and before Duck Hunt. :V

(Sorry, but I am kind of OCD on that sort of thing. :p)
Well, you're gonna have to put up with that this time :p
My reason for having Mac in the bottom row was because I didn't want to include him with the retros (that'd mean R.O.B would have to be first in the "others" row, which didn't sit well with me).

D

Deleted member

Well, you're gonna have to put up with that this time :p
My reason for having Mac in the bottom row was because I didn't want to include him with the retros (that'd mean R.O.B would have to be first in the "others" row, which didn't sit well with me).
So Takamaru isn't a "retro"? :V

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Updated roster:
View attachment 134084
Removed Isabelle (Sorry Luminario) and Hayabusa for Mii Fighters and Hades.
I know I'm contradicting myself for adding Hades since I said there was too much Kid Icarus content in Sm4sh but I guess it's fine if there are less Smash Run enemies
Side notes:
Mario gets some new moves while Dr. Mario mostly maintains his current moveset, making him somewhat of a Mario/Luigi semiclone
Dark Pit has completely different A moves (uses DP staff), similarly to Lucas and Wolf
Dixie Kong is a new Wolf-esque semiclone
Lucina uses skills and can swap to her signature Lance Geirskögul, her Final Smash is changed to Robin's Final Smash from 4 (If Chrom is selected they swap roles) and Robin's Final Smash is changed
Toon Link uses Fire Arrow and WW items
Wario has more Wario Land moves
Ganondorf has a projectile for Nspecial, Forward Smash is this, volcano kick is moved to Down Smash and Ganon is now a fully fledged transformation like Giga Bowser
All Pokemon have shiny palette swaps
Roy has a projectile for his Final Smash
Falco uses his Arwing for his Final Smash
Wolf uses his walker from Star Fox Zero for his Final Smash and his down b is an explosive
Sonic is less terrible now and has less ball moves
Mii Costumes are now inspired by fighters (unlocked by completing all-star mode) and effect stats as well (No more K. Rool/Geno/Inkling situations)
Simon's alts are: Trevor, Richter, and Julius
Mario - Costumes from Odyssey (minus character-inspired outfits, Skeleton, Gold Mario, Dr. Mario, and his alternate colors)
Bowser - Dry Bowser
Wario - Overalls
Donkey Kong - Boxer
K. Rool - Kaptain/Mad Scientist/Boxer
Link and Zelda - OoT/SS/BoTW
Sheik - OoT
Ganondorf - OoT/WW
Corrin, Robin, Wii Fit Trainer - Gender Swaps
Pikachu - Ash-Pikachu/Detective Pikachu/Cosplay Pikachu
Villager, Inklings - Gender swaps with different designs in each palette swap
Cloud - Advent Children
Bayonetta - Bayonetta 1

Feel free to comment on my roster!
Edit: For the record, Waluigi counts a Wario character, despite never appearing an an actual Wario game.
Edit2: Forgot to mention:
Kirby's FS is changed to Hypernova
Dedede's FS is changed to Masked Dedede (transformation)
Ness has PSI Rockin
Greninja now transforms into Ash-Greninja in its Final Smash, but this is purely cosmetic
Pikachu's FS is Gigavolt Havoc
I don't really have any complaints. Newcomers are spread out pretty evenly between returning franchises, no cuts (at least as far as I can see), bringing back Snake, Wolf, and the Ice Climbers...

As far as new franchises go, I'm not familiar with Rhythm Heaven, so I have no idea how that character could work, but otherwise, the new franchises (both first and third party) look great! Captain Toad's placement seems kind of odd (since all of the other newcomers are on the far right), but I guess that makes sense considering Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario 3D World. I do like the inclusion of Eggman; if any third party franchise were to get a second character, Sonic or Final Fantasy seem to have the most options, and with all of the boss fights that he's had over the years, it seems like Eggman would be a ton of fun.

All in all, it looks great!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

no cuts (at least as far as I can see)
You're seeing correctly. There are no cuts (unless you count the 4 vets I didn't bring back)

As far as new franchises go, I'm not familiar with Rhythm Heaven, so I have no idea how that character could work
The most common concept is having a Mr. Game & Watch-esque moveset, as in having a character with moves that reference the various minigames in the series (I'm currently working on a moveset), and if you time a button press, the attack deals extra damage, to reference the fact that it's a rhythm game.

all of the other newcomers are on the far right
That's pure coincedence. I have Toad after Peach because Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad are essentially the "main 4" in many Mario games.

All in all, it looks great!
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Do you accept constructive criticism? I don't want to sound mean
Yes of course.

I am half-trolling like always.

Vaati is simply not the ideal nor realistic choice of a Zelda character.

It's really between Impa, Toon Zelda, or one of the most popular one-offs as Midna or Skull Kid.

Whatever you might think of Vaati doesn't hold any water against these. Midna is from Twilight Princess and is the only ally of Link as developed and even half playable, that and TP is the only game that sort of holds as strong popularity as Ocarina of TIme did. So if Sheik gets to stay because of OOT being legendary, a similar arguement could be made for Midna, yet not as apperant. Skull Kid is from Majora's Mask and has a strong cult following, plus his character makes it easier for him to reappear in the franchise. Though he's still a stretch of course.

Then there's also Ganon, who is the main villain of the whole franchise but like Ridley, he's 2big. He often appears and has strong moveset potential plus importance, but it would be a real hassle to include him. Especially with little popularity to back him up, it might not worth the difficulty.

Impa and Toon Zelda are probably the strongest contenders because they are easier to include than others. Impa has a lot of appearances but not a constant appearance, changing from a young Sheikah ninja / warrior / magicial based monk to a old hag with only some words of wisdom and guidance. Then again, this wisdom and guidance thing IS pretty damn constant and her being a Sage can allow some more creative liberty than what is already possible. Toon Zelda works because of Toon Link and Zelda using the Phantom Slash. She might've been planned even but her model is harder to include than the 3 last clones who got in Smash 4, Toon Zelda doesn't share the body type and would require some similar stat changes to what made Link and Toon Link different.

Either Impa or Toon Zelda and a newcomer I named seem like the strongest contenders. Ghirahim is also a possibility if you are adamant that a Skyward Sword remake will see the light eventually. Which I think it will, one day.

Other than these, there's few options but the Champions from BOTW, and BOTW Link as his own character or as a full replacement on Link. I'll tell you straight forward; a full replacement is not the most popular of ideas. And Impa is still in BOTW, yet old, yet important in the past where Link wakes up from 100 years later but magically unaged. Impa could therefore take some creative liberty and take some of Link's abilities from the Sheikah Slate, as Impa is a Sheikah and a pro with magic in all her appearances where she's young.

Mr.ケイ

Smash Apprentice
May I ask why? Especially since some semi clones such as Lucas and Luigi are very different from their source character.
In the case of clone characters, they make balancing a major issue. How do you go about making Ganondorf better? Make him faster? Then he's even more like a C Falcon clone. Dark Pit should never have been added as a clone since the differences between him and Pit are: F-tilt, S-special, N-special...and Final Smash. Lucina makes balancing Marth difficult because now you have to work even harder to not make one obsolete to the other, which is the current issue between the 2 in the current meta.

As far as semi-clones go, they have outdated movesets and some of the same balancing problems that clones have. Luigi functions differently from Mario, but he doesn't fully represent his games. Toon Link is too much like Link in his movesets, when he could be using a variety of his items that normal Link doesn't. Lucas and Falco are better than most semi-clones, but still need minor adjustments and redesigns. All the semi-clones feel too much like their originals, which was Sakurai's intention, but all that means is that we'll never truly get that character properly represented in smash because they've been set in stones as what they are, even Roy could've had the chance for redesign, but Sakurai chose to maintain the clone status rather that make Roy represent his source game.

D

Deleted member

Yes of course.

It's really between Impa, Toon Zelda, or one of the most popular one-offs as Midna or Skull Kid.

Whatever you might think of Vaati doesn't hold any water against these. Midna is from Twilight Princess and is the only ally of Link as developed and even half playable, that and TP is the only game that sort of holds as strong popularity as Ocarina of TIme did. So if Sheik gets to stay because of OOT being legendary, a similar arguement could be made for Midna, yet not as apperant. Skull Kid is from Majora's Mask and has a strong cult following, plus his character makes it easier for him to reappear in the franchise. Though he's still a stretch of course.

Then there's also Ganon, who is the main villain of the whole franchise but like Ridley, he's 2big. He often appears and has strong moveset potential plus importance, but it would be a real hassle to include him. Especially with little popularity to back him up, it might not worth the difficulty.

Impa and Toon Zelda are probably the strongest contenders because they are easier to include than others. Impa has a lot of appearances but not a constant appearance, changing from a young Sheikah ninja / warrior / magicial based monk to a old hag with only some words of wisdom and guidance. Then again, this wisdom and guidance thing IS pretty damn constant and her being a Sage can allow some more creative liberty than what is already possible. Toon Zelda works because of Toon Link and Zelda using the Phantom Slash. She might've been planned even but her model is harder to include than the 3 last clones who got in Smash 4, Toon Zelda doesn't share the body type and would require some similar stat changes to what made Link and Toon Link different.

Either Impa or Toon Zelda and a newcomer I named seem like the strongest contenders. Ghirahim is also a possibility if you are adamant that a Skyward Sword remake will see the light eventually. Which I think it will, one day.

Other than these, there's few options but the Champions from BOTW, and BOTW Link as his own character or as a full replacement on Link. I'll tell you straight forward; a full replacement is not the most popular of ideas. And Impa is still in BOTW, yet old, yet important in the past where Link wakes up from 100 years later but magically unaged. Impa could therefore take some creative liberty and take some of Link's abilities from the Sheikah Slate, as Impa is a Sheikah and a pro with magic in all her appearances where she's young.
Fair enough. I'm not an expert at Zelda so I'm no one to argue. Vaati just has that nice looking Smashified render so I'm using him as a placeholder until I play more Zelda games.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Fair enough. I'm not an expert at Zelda so I'm no one to argue. Vaati just has that nice looking Smashified render so I'm using him as a placeholder until I play more Zelda games.
I understand and I've read your reasoning before. However, as a placeholder Zelda character, Impa makes the most sense. She adds a total new character who isn't Link / Zelda / Ganon to the playable cast who could represent both old and new games with various magic. She at least has the potential to be unique as Wolf, or even a middle ground between the styles of Zelda and Sheik- which is appealing for earlier Smash fans as well.

Oh and Hyrule Warriors would offer Impa a complete new playstyle unique on it's own with either a heavy blade involded with serious agility and jumping skills. But it would probably require a HW-inspired direction for all Zelda characters. Which would be amazing for characters as Link, Zelda and Ganondorf in terms of moveset potential and potency / effectiveness.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Yes of course.

Christ, you could probably get Impa in the game by your undying support of her alone, and I mean that in a sincere respectful way.
I don't think you give Vaati enough credit, he's been a major antagonist of 3 Toon Link games, and he's hardly unpopular. He's got around the same shot as characters such as Midna and Ghirahim, which isn't high at all but still there somewhat.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Christ, you could probably get Impa in the game by your undying support of her alone, and I mean that in a sincere respectful way.
I don't think you give Vaati enough credit, he's been a major antagonist of 3 Toon Link games, and he's hardly unpopular. He's got around the same shot as characters such as Midna and Ghirahim, which isn't high at all but still there somewhat.
Diddy Kong is a user who's posts I anticipate reading when I log in here but, I have to agree with this. Haha

D

Deleted member

Here's my roster without any character unlocked.
o alts Roster.png

The unlockable characters are: :4bowserjr:,:4drmario:, :4tlink:, Vaati*, Ridley, :4darkpit:, Hades, :4feroy:, :4lucina:**, :wolf:, :4jigglypuff:, :4mewtwo:, :4shulk:, :4gaw:, :4rob:, :4wiifit:, :snake:, :4ryu:, Eggman, and Shovel Knight.

PS: Yes, I know the layout is awful, but consider this:

Yeah I know this was only temporary, but so is my layout. ;)

*Might change depending on my final pick. If it's Impa, Sheik is moved to unlockable while Impa would be the starter. ZSS would also be unlockable if that's the case.

**Either her or Ike. Not sure because while Lucina is a mascot of her series, I want to keep alt promotions as unlockables.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
God I hated how the smash 4 starting roster looked. it's so awkward and ugly and makes me wonder if I have OCD because of how much it bothers me.
Brawl and Melee weren't like that were they? their rosters changed shape as you added more characters or something yeah?
I don't know which annoyed me more, the way characters were on different rows to the rest of their series (link, Kirby) or how the clones were all down the bottom, separated from their actual series. I hope the smash 5 Roster (if we get a new game, not a port) is much neater.

having about 20 unlockable characters is good. even if the end result is a starting roster like smash 4. and you picked a good selection for who should be unlockable and who should be there from the get go. although personally I'd have probably made K. Rool, and a Kirby series character unlockable too and maybe added back in Wii Fit Trainer. at least your starting roster is a little neater than the smash 4 one since it doesn't just have 1 random blank square at the bottom right and is more symmetrical.

May have a go at trimming down my current (revised again from the other week) roster to how it may look as a starting lineup later. depending on how ugly it is I may not post it though.

D

Deleted member

I've actually revised my roster yet again:
Smesh Roster.png

I cut Mii Fighters and Hades (reason being that I became more concerned with the roster's size than I should be), leaving it at a total of 76 characters (Green are alternate characters), with 18 newcomers, 3 returning veterans and 3 cuts.
And the starting roster:
o alts Roster.png

I daresay it looks a hell of a lot better than the last one. I placed the random button in the second row because there was an empty space that I had to fill in.
As far as unlockables go, Lucas replaces Hades as an unlockable character, so the unlockable characters are:
:4bowserjr:,:4drmario:,:4tlink:, Vaati, Ridley, :4darkpit:, :4gaw:, :4feroy:, :4lucina:, :wolf:, :4jigglypuff:, :4mewtwo:,:4lucas:,:4shulk:,:4rob:,:4wiifit:, :snake:, :4ryu:, Eggman, and Shovel Knight.
having about 20 unlockable characters is good. even if the end result is a starting roster like smash 4. and you picked a good selection for who should be unlockable and who should be there from the get go. although personally I'd have probably made K. Rool, and a Kirby series character unlockable too and maybe added back in Wii Fit Trainer.
I made all Kirby characters starters because all of the ones we had in Smash so far have been starters, and Bandana Dee being unlockable doesn't sit well with me.
I originally wanted to make K. Rool an unlockable as well, but that would've meant he'd have a late reveal, which would mean less time for people to be hyped.
And as for Wii Fit Trainer, I feel that as a joke character, it makes sense to make her unlockable. I kinda wish that was the case in Sm4sh.

The Smash Nerd II.0.

Smash Journeyman
I've actually revised my roster yet again:
View attachment 134183
I cut Mii Fighters and Hades (reason being that I became more concerned with the roster's size than I should be), leaving it at a total of 76 characters (Green are alternate characters), with 18 newcomers, 3 returning veterans and 3 cuts.
And the starting roster:
View attachment 134192
I daresay it looks a hell of a lot better than the last one. I placed the random button in the second row because there was an empty space that I had to fill in.
As far as unlockables go, Lucas replaces Hades as an unlockable character, so the unlockable characters are:
:4bowserjr:,:4drmario:,:4tlink:, Vaati, Ridley, :4darkpit:, :4gaw:, :4feroy:, :4lucina:, :wolf:, :4jigglypuff:, :4mewtwo:,:4lucas:,:4shulk:,:4rob:,:4wiifit:, :snake:, :4ryu:, Eggman, and Shovel Knight.

I made all Kirby characters starters because all of the ones we had in Smash so far have been starters, and Bandana Dee being unlockable doesn't sit well with me.
I originally wanted to make K. Rool an unlockable as well, but that would've meant he'd have a late reveal, which would mean less time for people to be hyped.
And as for Wii Fit Trainer, I feel that as a joke character, it makes sense to make her unlockable. I kinda wish that was the case in Sm4sh.
It would make more scent if Rex was a unlockable and :4shulk: was a starter.

D

Deleted member

It would make more scent if Rex was a unlockable and :4shulk: was a starter.
IDK, it smells way better the way it is right now :troll:
Jokes aside, a good comparison would be Ike and Marth in Brawl.
Marth and Shulk = Face of their franchise
Ike and Rex = Promote their newest games
Marth was unlockable, while Ike was a starter. I'm following the same logic.

Also, I have a slight update to my roster, but it will take some time to get the icons.

D

Deleted member

Sorry for the double post, but here's my updated roster.
Smesh Roster.png

Changes:
  • Replaced Vaati with Skull Kid. He seems to be pretty popular ITT, and I saw some Hyrule Warriors footage of him that looked pretty cool, so he's the Zelda newcomer right now.
  • Brought back Hades, but sacrificed Dark Pit to make room for him. Now I know you're probably screaming "cutting clones doesn't magically open up slots!!", which is very true, but the original plan to declone him, and I'm limiting slots rather then development time anyway. Don't worry though, Dark Pit won't magically become a Pit alt - it just seems spiteful to me (Though you could argue that I'm being spiteful by removing Dark Pit at the first place)
  • Changed the layout a bit. Heroes are on the left, villains are on the right (Mewtwo counts as a villain), and duplicates are placed next to the "original" character.
Mario + Yoshi
:4mario:(costumes from Mario Odyssey):4luigi::4peach::rosalina::4yoshi::4bowser:(Dry Bowser alt):4bowserjr: (Koopalings alts):4drmario:(further decloned):substitute:
Captain Toad (Captain Toadette alt)

Donkey Kong
:4dk:(boxer outfit):4diddy::substitute::substitute:
Dixie Kong and King K. Rool (Alts of his personas)

The Legend of Zelda
:4link::4zelda: (OoT, SS, BoTW alts):4sheik:(OoT alt):4ganondorf:(Further decloned, FS is a transformation, OoT and WW alts):4tlink:(Further decloned) :substitute:
Skull Kid

Metroid
:4samus:(Moveset overhaul):4zss::substitute:
Ridley

Kirby
:4kirby:(Hypernova FS):4dedede:(Masked Dedede FS):4metaknight::substitute:
Bandana Dee

Star Fox
:4fox::4falco:(Arwing FS):wolf:(Wolfen Walker FS)

Pokemon
:4pikachu:(Detective, Ash, and cosplay alts):4charizard::4jigglypuff::4lucario:(No more counter):4greninja::4mewtwo::substitute: (Shiny alts for everyone)
Decidueye

Mother
:4ness:(Ninten alt):4lucas:

Fire Emblem
:4marth::4feroy::4myfriends::4lucina:(Further decloned, Chrom alt):4robinm::4corrinf:

Wario
:4wario2:(Similar to PM):substitute:
Waluigi (I count him as one)

Kid Icarus
:4pit::4palutena:(Moveset overhaul):substitute:
Hades

Xenoblade Chronicles
:4shulk::substitute:
Rex

Retro
:4gaw::popo::4rob::4duckhunt::substitute:
Takamaru

Other
:4falcon::4olimar:(:4alph:):4villager::4wiifit::4littlemac::substitute::substitute::substitute::substitute:
Inkling (Alt system is similar to Villager), Ribbon Girl, Isaac (Golden Sun, Matthew alt), Tibby (Rhythm Heaven)

Third Party

Konami
:snake::substitute:
Simon Belmont (Trevor, Richter, Julius alts)

Sega
:4sonic::substitute::4bayonetta:
Eg

Capcom
:4megaman::4ryu:

Bandai Namco
:4pacman: (Ms. Pac-Man alt)

Square Enix
:4cloud:

Ubisoft
:substitute:
Rayman

Yacht Club
Shovel Knight

Cuts: :younglinkmelee::pichumelee::ivysaur::squirtle::4darkpit::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:

The starting roster is unchanged.
Rate pls

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
View attachment 134237

Changes:
  • Replaced Vaati with Skull Kid. He seems to be pretty popular ITT, and I saw some Hyrule Warriors footage of him that looked pretty cool, so he's the Zelda newcomer right now.
  • Brought back Hades, but sacrificed Dark Pit to make room for him. Now I know you're probably screaming "cutting clones doesn't magically open up slots!!", which is very true, but the original plan to declone him, and I'm limiting slots rather then development time anyway. Don't worry though, Dark Pit won't magically become a Pit alt - it just seems spiteful to me (Though you could argue that I'm being spiteful by removing Dark Pit at the first place)
  • Changed the layout a bit. Heroes are on the left, villains are on the right (Mewtwo counts as a villain), and duplicates are placed next to the "original" character.
Mario + Yoshi
:4mario:(costumes from Mario Odyssey):4luigi::4peach::rosalina::4yoshi::4bowser:(Dry Bowser alt):4bowserjr: (Koopalings alts):4drmario:(further decloned):substitute:

Donkey Kong

The Legend of Zelda
:4link::4zelda: (OoT, SS, BoTW alts):4sheik:(OoT alt):4ganondorf:(Further decloned, FS is a transformation, OoT and WW alts):4tlink:(Further decloned) :substitute:
Skull Kid

Metroid
Ridley

Kirby
Bandana Dee

Star Fox

Pokemon
:4pikachu:(Detective, Ash, and cosplay alts):4charizard::4jigglypuff::4lucario:(No more counter):4greninja::4mewtwo::substitute: (Shiny alts for everyone)
Decidueye

Mother

Fire Emblem
:4marth::4feroy::4myfriends::4lucina:(Further decloned, Chrom alt):4robinm::4corrinf:

Wario

Kid Icarus
Hades

Xenoblade Chronicles
Rex

Retro
Takamaru

Other
:4falcon::4olimar:(:4alph:):4villager::4wiifit::4littlemac::substitute::substitute::substitute::substitute:
Inkling (Alt system is similar to Villager), Ribbon Girl, Isaac (Golden Sun, Matthew alt), Tibby (Rhythm Heaven)

Third Party

Konami

Sega
Eg

Capcom

Bandai Namco

Square Enix

Ubisoft
Rayman

Yacht Club
Shovel Knight

Cuts: :younglinkmelee::pichumelee::ivysaur::squirtle::4darkpit::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:

Rate pls
The way the sizes of the rows changes bugs me. better if you added back Dark Pit and someone else :p

D

Deleted member

The way the sizes of the rows changes bugs me. better if you added back Dark Pit and someone else :p
It bugged me too initially, but I got over it.
I don't want to add any more characters, but I do actually want to cut Rex for a new character (Or just cut him and leave it at that) after learning that Xenoblade 2 may not appeal to me...
But I digress. What do you think of my current roster overall?

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Things I like
+Captain Toad and Waluigi are good choices for Mario series reps
+the DK sereis really deserves to have both Dixie and K. Rool added
+Bandana Dee.
+No more FE reps (including 1 wouldn't be terrible, but really, they have enough
+The return of Wolf and the Ice Climbers
+Takamaru is the perfect retro rep.

Things I'm indifferent/ mixed about

*The shape of the Layout doesn't bother me, I don't mind odd rows like that
*Decidueye right now is the most likely choice for a Pokemon rep. and it's pretty much a guarantee they'll get another one. which is also why he is on my roster. but if generation 8 comes out before smash 5, I don't see Decidueye getting in.
*Inkling. they're a given, so not much needs to be said there.
*Skull Kid as a new Zelda rep is a decent choice, really it comes down to either him, Impa, Vaati or *shudders* Tingle for the new rep (or maybe Tetra) and as long as it's not Tingle, I'm fine with any new Zelda rep.
*I don't know enough about Rhythm heaven to comment on Tibby, but I know the series is popular enough to warrant a character. so anyone is fine with me.
*Dropping Dark Pit entirely seems a little extreme, although I can also see how people would have issue with him being relegated to being an Alt for Pit. Hades "taking his spot" isn't terrible though.
*Isaac, I've never played Golden Sun but I know it's got a following and Isaac is a popular chocie around here.
*The fact Mr. Game & Watch ends up on the second row while all the other single character series are down lower makes him look a little out of place. but that can't really be helped without adding in another rep for one of the higher up franchises. that's just an OCD thing, so it's not really an issue.
*I'm a little confused by the choice of including Ribbon Girl over Springman. Smash usually goes for the face of each franchise first. although admittedly, Springman isn't the most interesting of the roster. If we do get an Arms character in Smash, I'd personally want it to be Min Min. but Springman feels the most likely.
*I'm going to get a lot of hate for this but personally I'd prefer Ridley not get in Smash, My opinion has softened on him since I actually looked into the Metroid Franchise, played some of the games and learned more about him. knowing he isn't just a giant purple monster dragon and is actually a sentient intelligent creature helps me dislike him as a character a little less. but i still feel he wouldn't quite work in smash. Ridley's size and presence is better suited to a stage hazard or boss character or something than being a playable character. but if he does get in, I won't be too upset. and I know it would make many people happy. Smash isn't just what I want after all.

Things I don't really like

- Your choice to put villains on the right, heroes on the left feels a little awkward to me since it shuffles the characters around a bit. like putting Mewtwo at the end of the Pokemon reps despite him being a Generation 1 Pokemon and originally introduced in Melee. but that's just a personal opinion. It's not actually that bad and I'm sure if this were the real layout I'd get used to it (if i could get used to Smash 4's roster I could EASILY adjust to this)
- I feel that including Toadette, Ninten, Chrom, Matthew, Ms. Pacman and Richter as alts on top of Alph and the Koopa Kids is a bit much. if they are going to go to the trouble of including Matthew, Chrom or Richter in as fully rigged models in the game, I'd rather them be their own characters.
-11 Third Party characters just feels like way too much to me. I can see what each of your third party newcomer choices would bring to smash and think they are good choices. i just think it's a bit too many on top of all the returning veterans

a 76 Character Roster with 19 newcomers is a pretty decent and reasonable size. (18 newcomers if you take out Rex like you said in an earlier post)
all in all I think you've made a decent roster.

8/10

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
View attachment 134237

Changes:
Mario + Yoshi

Donkey Kong

The Legend of Zelda
Skull Kid

Metroid
Ridley

Kirby
Bandana Dee

Star Fox

Pokemon
Decidueye

Mother

Fire Emblem

Wario

Kid Icarus
Hades

Xenoblade Chronicles
Rex

Retro
Takamaru

Other

Third Party

Konami

Sega
Eg

Capcom

Bandai Namco

Square Enix

Ubisoft
Rayman

Yacht Club
Shovel Knight

Rate pls
Why do so many people care about your roster layout? This ain't rate-the-row-size thread. The roster is simply a way to convey the characters to the players anyway, so it shouldn't matter whether or not the roster is a perfect square. You're doing great on the roster layout every time btw, it's clear and every character is grouped together with their series.
On to the characters, I have some concerns about replacing Vaati with Skull Kid. Vaati's got more appearances while Skull Kid is yet another one-off villain that never appeared in the main series again. I feel that Skull Kid's time has passed, though to be fair Vaati's not really that far ahead either. Vaati at least has a clear connection to Toon Link.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Skull Kid is a spooky dude but I love him anyway. <3

I like your roster, Lampy. I'm not gonna rate it, cuz rating deliberately unrealistic rosters is weird, but I'd enjoy playing it. It trimmed the little bits of fat while hitting all the beats for popular and important characters. And I like that you left characters as alts instead of bloating the roster with clones.

Though if you're not adverse to adding one more character, or if you're looking to swap Rex out for someone, I'd suggest an Advance Wars character. It's the only noteworthy Nintendo series left not on your roster. imo

better if you added back Dark Pit and someone else :p
nahhhhhhhhhhh u good

D

Deleted member

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Reply time~

*Decidueye right now is the most likely choice for a Pokemon rep. and it's pretty much a guarantee they'll get another one. which is also why he is on my roster. but if generation 8 comes out before smash 5, I don't see Decidueye getting in.
Decidueye is more of a personal choice really. It's my most wanted character since it's one of my favorite Pokemon of all time.
Also I really don't feel confident about him being in Smash at all... Maybe I'm just pessimistic.

*Dropping Dark Pit entirely seems a little extreme, although I can also see how people would have issue with him being relegated to being an Alt for Pit. Hades "taking his spot" isn't terrible though.
I really dislike turning clones into alts because it's just spiteful. I don't really care about Dark Pit anymore, but I felt that having both him and Hades would be too much, and I felt that Hades should take priority because he's the antagonist (I chose him over Medusa for both uniqueness and personality).
Dark Pit can be DLC if he has enough demand, for all I care. (Decloned of course)

*I'm a little confused by the choice of including Ribbon Girl over Springman. Smash usually goes for the face of each franchise first. although admittedly, Springman isn't the most interesting of the roster. If we do get an Arms character in Smash, I'd personally want it to be Min Min. but Springman feels the most likely.
The way I see it, they're both equally mascots of ARMS, and I originally had Spring Man on my roster, but I decided to replace him with Ribbon Girl for 2 reasons:
A. I prefer Ribbon Girl's design. Spring Man's color scheme is really ugly IMO.
B. For more diversity, AKA muh "female rep"
But really, they're interchangeable. I don't really care which one of them is in.

*I'm going to get a lot of hate for this but personally I'd prefer Ridley not get in Smash, My opinion has softened on him since I actually looked into the Metroid Franchise, played some of the games and learned more about him. knowing he isn't just a giant purple monster dragon and is actually a sentient intelligent creature helps me dislike him as a character a little less. but i still feel he wouldn't quite work in smash. Ridley's size and presence is better suited to a stage hazard or boss character or something than being a playable character. but if he does get in, I won't be too upset. and I know it would make many people happy. Smash isn't just what I want after all.
I respectfully disagree, but I can see your point. Really, my main goal is to stop the controversy. It's logical to think Ridley isn't suitable for Smash, but some people are extremely toxic about it.

- I feel that including Toadette, Ninten, Chrom, Matthew, Ms. Pacman and Richter as alts on top of Alph and the Koopa Kids is a bit much. if they are going to go to the trouble of including Matthew, Chrom or Richter in as fully rigged models in the game, I'd rather them be their own characters.
Idk, I think it's a reasonable amount of alternate costumes. However, I did place a limit of 14 to fill one row only (Along with the random button in the middle).

-11 Third Party characters just feels like way too much to me. I can see what each of your third party newcomer choices would bring to smash and think they are good choices. i just think it's a bit too many on top of all the returning veterans
Eh, I don't really see the point of limiting 3rd parties, as long as they all make sense. But to each their own I guess.

Why do so many people care about your roster layout? This ain't rate-the-row-size thread. The roster is simply a way to convey the characters to the players anyway, so it shouldn't matter whether or not the roster is a perfect square. You're doing great on the roster layout every time btw, it's clear and every character is grouped together with their series.
Some people just care about aesthetics, I guess. (Myself included)

On to the characters, I have some concerns about replacing Vaati with Skull Kid. Vaati's got more appearances while Skull Kid is yet another one-off villain that never appeared in the main series again. I feel that Skull Kid's time has passed, though to be fair Vaati's not really that far ahead either. Vaati at least has a clear connection to Toon Link.
Skull Kid seems to be the most popular choice for a Zelda newcomer, at least from what I've seen in this thread, and I really like his design.
Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he also have a minor role in OoT?

Though if you're not adverse to adding one more character, or if you're looking to swap Rex out for someone, I'd suggest an Advance Wars character. It's the only noteworthy Nintendo series left not on your roster. imo
Fair enough, I'll consider Andy. I never played the series, but when it comes to Smash I usually hear about either him or Sami, but I do know that Sami was planned to be in Project M, but from what I've seen of the unfinished build, she seems like a Snake (Semi) clone.
Thanks for the suggestion.

UserKev

Smash Champion
*Decidueye right now is the most likely choice for a Pokemon rep. and it's pretty much a guarantee they'll get another one. which is also why he is on my roster. but if generation 8 comes out before smash 5, I don't see Decidueye getting in.8/10
Decidueye isn't the most likely Pokémon rep. Smash receiving a new starter is the only thing that can really help its case.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Fair enough, I'll consider Andy. I never played the series, but when it comes to Smash I usually hear about either him or Sami, but I do know that Sami was planned to be in Project M, but from what I've seen of the unfinished build, she seems like a Snake (Semi) clone.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Yeah she was most likely going to be a Snake semi-clone based on her moveset.

I know it's going to sound like i'm very biased with what i'm about to say but Sami isn't nearly as important to her series as Andy is. Even Max is more important than her in the grand scheme of the franchise. That's why i'm very against the idea of Sami being the sole representative of AW in Smash.

Of course that's if the series ever does get a character in the game. *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom