• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E3 Countdown- Dawn of a New Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
E3's lined up nicely for me this year. I normally don't watch MS but with Sony not being there this year and MS increasingly showing more stuff that I'll buy for other consoles, I guess I'll watch them.

As for Smash, I'm hoping for two characters but wouldn't be surprised if we got only one. For Nintendo in general, the rest of the year from them is already good, so I'm hoping for some surprises for 2020 and Retro to finally show up.
Retro has to show the project that they were working on. E3 is gonna be make it or break it for this game that they were working on for so long..

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm keeping my expectations low for Nintendo's showing this year, given how Smash Bros took up the bulk of the Direct last time. They might end up doing the same for Pokemon or something.

D

Deleted member

If they were going to announce two of the DLC characters in a near-E3 Smash direct (like last time), who would you want or expect to see revealed?

It'd never happen but if Crash and a Rhythm Heaven character both got revealed and at the same time I'd EXPLODE.
Hoenstly someone like Mettaton/Undyne would work.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If they were going to announce two of the DLC characters in a near-E3 Smash direct (like last time), who would you want or expect to see revealed?

It'd never happen but if Crash and a Rhythm Heaven character both got revealed and at the same time I'd EXPLODE.
Anyone that hasn't been seen coming, if only to get at least one person to shut up. I just want the collapse of this forum community to be stopped at this point.

Probably some first-party, I guess, I don't know. :dk:

I'm keeping my expectations low for Nintendo's showing this year, given how Smash Bros took up the bulk of the Direct last time. They might end up doing the same for Pokemon or something.
Probably the case, seeing as Pokémon seemingly hasn't gotten any major news at all this month.

D

Deleted member

Ignoring potential deconfirmations, who do you all think could be the biggest bombshell DLC newcomer announcement at E3?

I personally want Master Chief, and it would be great to see that alongside Halo Infinite, but some say he's deconfirmed, so I'm just crossing my fingers at this point.
Definitally an Undertale/deltarune rep. No one would expect it(especially considering only Deltarune is on the switch)

D

Deleted member

Trying to keep it low but here are my E3 hopes (no particular order):
  • Wario Land
  • Dr. Mario
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
  • Rare Replay Switch
  • Hype Smash DLC character(s)
  • F-Zero
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy
  • Shantae 5
  • Punch-Out!!
  • Pokémon Sword & Shield
Probably not much will come true
Honestly I'm only hoping for a Dlc reveal, and MAYBE Pokemon, but I don't really care that much

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Never say nothing is impossible with Nintendo.
You're only deluding yourself if you think something that is both completely unprecedented and a terrible business decision has any chance of happening. If you truly, honestly believe a world exists where Luigi gets into an "all star" roster and Mario doesn't, then you obviously have no idea how this all works.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm starting to question if we will actually get 2 characters at E3.

According to Sakurai, the reason Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were released together was because the Nintendo 3DS limited the total amount of updates a game could receive (likely the same reason Corrin and Bayonetta were released together too).

But of course only time will tell.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

According to Sakurai, the reason Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were released together was because the Nintendo 3DS limited the total amount of updates a game could receive (likely the same reason Corrin and Bayonetta were released together too).

On the flipside, there is a deadline of February for the pass itself next year, so all characters must be released by then. Nearly half of the year is done and only one character's out.

No more ballot in the foreseeable future's a bummer though. All those suggestions that were wasted on anime and cartoon characters, I don't even...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There's a feeling I got where if they do 2 reveals at E3, we're going to be in for a rougher drought of DLC info for the 4th and 5th Fighter Packs.

The whole Brave fiasco has been going on for over half a year now, but at least we got a codename to theorize on for the time being. Meanwhile, we have 0 info on fighters 4 and 5, and we only know that the 3rd Fighter Pack is being worked on alongside the 2nd. If both of them are revealed and released on the same day, we're probably going to be in for at least 4 months of nothing but leaks with little to no credibility behind them.

Other than that, it's probably not going to be on Nintendo's E3 show, but I wonder if Rocksteady finally has something to show at E3. I've only heard they're working on a new project about a year ago, and there hasn't really been any other news since.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Meanwhile, we have 0 info on fighters 4 and 5, and we only know that the 3rd Fighter Pack is being worked on alongside the 2nd. If both of them are revealed and released on the same day, we're probably going to be in for at least 4 months of nothing but leaks with little to no credibility behind them.
I wouldn't expect them both to be released at the same time. That wouldn't be in the game's best $$$ interests. They want to space them out such that people don't lose interest in the product.

I expect the identities of 2 and 3 to be revealed. 2 will drop at or shortly after E3 while 3 will just have an identity and maybe a trailer, a la Plant's many-months-early reveal.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm expecting Edrick after the show and the 3rd character to come in October.

But my gut feeling's never been good at E3 predictions.

D

Deleted member

I'm expecting maybe 2 fighter announcements, but Nintendo always surprises good or bad.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
There's a 16 month period between the Fighter's Pass announcement and its expected finishing deadline. Assuming the last one is announced months before its release, which could be as late as the deadline month, we're essentially half way through the period and we've still only got one character known. And E3 is prime for such big announcements, especially if they're announcing some of the crazier ones first (maybe like the base game, they'd generate the most interest by showing off the most impressive ones first?). Plus there was that note from Skaurai saying they worked on fighter 2 and 3 alongside Joker, apparently.

Sure they could space out the reveals, but they could also actually give us a good idea of the Fighter's Pass content by now? Plus they may not be releasing at the same time anyway, so they'll still get their focus as one releases months after the other.

I just wonder if there'd be space to do two trailers if it's truly just the Nintendo direct at E3 this year. Would we get the two trailers without Sakurai's DIRECT commentary and other stuff like more Mii costumes? Only time will tell I suppose.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Pokemon Direct has been announced for the 5th of June.

Well, there goes any fears of the main E3 Direct being nothing but Pokemon. I guess that's Game Freak and TPC asserting their dominance over the IP again.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
WatchMojo posted their top 10 predictions.

10. The return of Dino Crisis
9. Reggie's special appearance
8. Rocksteady Studios new DC game
7. Starfield trailer
6. xCloud launch date
5. Halo: Infinite gameplay reveal
4. Square Enix's Avengers game
3. Nintendo announces two Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC characters
2. Final Fantasy VII remake gets a release
1. Cyberpunk 2077 gets a 2020 release date

Honorable Mentions: "Rare Replay" Announced for the Nintendo Switch, Mother 3 port release

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Pokemon Direct has been announced for the 5th of June.

Well, there goes any fears of the main E3 Direct being nothing but Pokemon. I guess that's Game Freak and TPC asserting their dominance over the IP again.
At this rate the only things left now are Animal Crossing and maybe Luigi's Mansion 3. Really makes me wonder how many surprises they're saving up for this.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
At this rate the only things left now are Animal Crossing and maybe Luigi's Mansion 3. Really makes me wonder how many surprises they're saving up for this.
30 minute talk about Three Houses?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, a lot of people seem to forget just how much there is left to cover for Three Houses, especially taking the leaks into account. I'm expecting a final big trailer to push the game, plus substantial Treehouse Live coverage.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I doubt they'd want new E3 info to just be about 3 Houses...Maybe 10 minutes at most.
Yeah, ten minutes sounds about right. I'm kind of expecting a full on story trailer.

Basically, notable games that we know exist that we'll probably see:

Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Luigi's Mansion 3
Animal Crossing
Astral Chain
Diablo Ex Machina
Maaaaaybe another look at the Star Link DLC
Link's Awakening remake
Super Mario Maker 2

I don't think we'll see Prime 4 or Bayonetta 3. I don't remember when Ultimate Alliance comes out so that may or may not be there. I'm predicting we'll see a Pikmin 3 port and MAYBE the Prime Trilogy ports here, too. Plus one or two new announcements.

D

Deleted member

You're only deluding yourself if you think something that is both completely unprecedented and a terrible business decision has any chance of happening. If you truly, honestly believe a world exists where Luigi gets into an "all star" roster and Mario doesn't, then you obviously have no idea how this all works.
I ****ed up the spelling. I was trying to say that trying to guess what Nintendo will do is frankly impossible(at least accuratly), and we should wait for official sources before anything else.

On a different note, I feel that Sans isn't the best choice for a Undertale Dlc figher, because his playstyle(and motivations) would have to revolve around Papyrus in some way(he only fights you in genocide, and if you kill Papyrus, he doesn't reappear until the end of the game)

Last edited by a moderator:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Yeah, ten minutes sounds about right. I'm kind of expecting a full on story trailer.

Basically, notable games that we know exist that we'll probably see:

Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Luigi's Mansion 3
Animal Crossing
Astral Chain
Diablo Ex Machina
Maaaaaybe another look at the Star Link DLC
Link's Awakening remake
Super Mario Maker 2

I don't think we'll see Prime 4 or Bayonetta 3. I don't remember when Ultimate Alliance comes out so that may or may not be there. I'm predicting we'll see a Pikmin 3 port and MAYBE the Prime Trilogy ports here, too. Plus one or two new announcements.
I could probably see Nintendo have a Mario Maker reveal at the tournament it's getting. But there's so much you listed and they still need time for new reveals (both 1st and 3rd party).

Of course they could save some stuff for the Treehouse.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
On a different note, I feel that Sans isn't the best choice for a Undertale Dlc figher, because his playstyle(and motivations) would have to revolve around Papyrus in some way(he only fights you in genocide, and if you kill Papyrus, he doesn't reappear until the end of the game)
A Smash character doesn't need "motivations."

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
If they do announce a Smash direct before it's too late, that'll give even more space for the direct. And even then, this being Nintendo, they could skip over talking about certain games anyway...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm not so certain. If we get SMM2 content at E3 it would be very minor. We just go a huuuge direct for it.
I'd say floor demo and if there's DLC coming for it that'll be seen.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm not so certain. If we get SMM2 content at E3 it would be very minor. We just go a huuuge direct for it.
They still haven't announced the other special mode they're hiding. I'm banking on it being saved for E3.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I think Mario Maker 2 is for a much bigger audience than Fire Emblem is. Fire Emblem is more comparable to Animal Crossing in terms of mass appeal in the West.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I think Mario Maker 2 is for a much bigger audience than Fire Emblem is. Fire Emblem is more comparable to Animal Crossing in terms of mass appeal in the West.
I agree but for a different reason. Mario Maker 2 is basically doing what Smash Ultimate couldn't: It's visually providing us with all of the awesome upgrades from the previous game rather than mentioning them but not showing us. So I feel like SMM2 will have a bigger audience than FE3H, but only right now because it presentation (and marketing) has been so much better and more effective.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Oddly enough, Mario Maker 2 seems like two different games packaged into one.
One half Mario Maker 2 which inmproves the original 4 in numerous ways
one half Super Mario 3D World Maker

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Speaking of Mario Maker 2, one of the speculated extra themes is Super Mario Bros 2. As an extra theme, it would be standing on its own, like 3D World is. I know 3D World being its own thing means many of its features (like clear pipes or the car) are not available in the older themes, but how does that work vice-versa? Like how many of the features available in regular themes are also available in 3D World?

I'm asking this because it would affect how well a Super Mario Bros 2 theme could stand on its own, without features from other games. I haven't played SMB2 in years, but does it have enough of its own features that it would be sufficient for an engaging level builder in its own right? SMB and SMB3 would be considerably more limited if they couldn't use features from other titles and I don't know whether the same is true for SMB2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom