• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E3 2020 Countdown- EVENT CANCELLED

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's that time of year again. The time where I post an E3 countdown way too early and possibly in the wrong section.
Countdown timer

This year we know there's 6 characters being added across two years so the most likely time for a the first character of the second pass to be revealed is at E3. Not to mention that Nintendo needs to reveal it's next big game after AC: New Horizons.

What are you looking forward to? What do you think will be shown?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Crash would make the most sense to be revealed. All aboard the hype train!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Crash, Master Chief, Steve.

All makes the most potential for an E3 reveal.

We'll definitely be getting an reveal there regardless to who it is.

Also hopefully we get Rare Replay or remasters of Kazooie and Tooie.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Not to sound impatient, but I think from :ultbyleth:'s release to an E3 reveal at the earliest is a bit too long of a wait. The longest wait we've had in between the DLC cycle is from :ultjoker: to :ulthero:, as they were already in development prior to Ultimate's initial release (at least, sort of).

My main point is that the other 6 DLC characters were confirmed to be in development in the 9/4/19 Nintendo Direct. I know making a character takes time, but I doubt the characters were in development for so long that we have to wait until E3 for FP6 at the earliest.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
A certain recent event I won't name here isn't going to slow down E3 in the slightest, with the organisers keeping in mind that their staff and visitors will be ensured to be safe.
Not to sound impatient, but I think from :ultbyleth:'s release to an E3 reveal at the earliest is a bit too long of a wait. The longest wait we've had in between the DLC cycle is from :ultjoker: to :ulthero:, as they were already in development prior to Ultimate's initial release (at least, sort of).

My main point is that the other 6 DLC characters were confirmed to be in development in the 9/4/19 Nintendo Direct. I know making a character takes time, but I doubt the characters were in development for so long that we have to wait until E3 for FP6 at the earliest.
I think the takeaway is that we'll see the first character on the next general direct, but if the first half or quarter of this year is looking mostly dead aside from select games, we may not hear of the good stuff until later.

Although Ura Ura did mention that 2018 once had a general direct on March, so it's anybody's guess as to what will happen.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
E3 , as a physical event has been cancelled due to Covid 19 concerns. We may get a big summer Nintendo Direct but that's it for E3

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Sad to hear that E3 is cancelled but yet understandable due to the ongoing concerns about the coronavirus situation.

Either ways, I still expect Nintendo to have a Direct in its place.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
This is....heartbreaking. I don't like the idea of E3 being cancelled, but considering how big events like this are how viruses like COVID-19 get spread, it's understandable. Charlie Baker just declared a state of emergency in Mass (where I live) so the threat is very real.

Then again, how big were people's expectations for this year's E3 anyway? Sony is opting out again, and Nintendo has revealed no agenda so far (we have had the longest drought of a full Nintendo Direct in years). Microsoft's presentation last year was beyond boring, and this year they really only have Cyberpunk and Halo (Chief for Smash!) to show. Other than that it's left to the smaller developers and indies, which aside from Ubisoft last year (sort of) haven't had much to show either (Thanks, EA).

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
This is....heartbreaking. I don't like the idea of E3 being cancelled, but considering how big events like this are how viruses like COVID-19 get spread, it's understandable. Charlie Baker just declared a state of emergency in Mass (where I live) so the threat is very real.

Then again, how big were people's expectations for this year's E3 anyway? Sony is opting out again, and Nintendo has revealed no agenda so far (we have had the longest drought of a full Nintendo Direct in years). Microsoft's presentation last year was beyond boring, and this year they really only have Cyberpunk and Halo (Chief for Smash!) to show. Other than that it's left to the smaller developers and indies, which aside from Ubisoft last year (sort of) haven't had much to show either (Thanks, EA).
Plus, this year was planned to focus on online influencers and celebrities just because.

But regardless, people's health is more important. Thanks, COVID-19.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
A certain recent event I won't name here isn't going to slow down E3 in the slightest, with the organisers keeping in mind that their staff and visitors will be ensured to be safe.

I think the takeaway is that we'll see the first character on the next general direct, but if the first half or quarter of this year is looking mostly dead aside from select games, we may not hear of the good stuff until later.

Although Ura Ura did mention that 2018 once had a general direct on March, so it's anybody's guess as to what will happen.
...And most of my comment aged like milk, as usual.

At least we'll get a bunch of not-Directs. Although I'm not expecting Ubisoft to show off anything grand even with that setup.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
...And most of my comment aged like milk, as usual.

At least we'll get a bunch of not-Directs. Although I'm not expecting Ubisoft to show off anything grand even with that setup.
Don't worry about it. We all got comments like that. (RIP Ashley being the frontrunner)

I think they may compile them all together into a big digital event but what would they call it? They can't call it E3 as the 3rd E is Expo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Let's wait and see.
I'll keep the thread open and restart the countdown if there's any announcement.
That'd be wise, yeah. Less chances of doing it too early.

Meanwhile, Limited Run Games will be airing its press conference via Twitch on June the 3rd: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._run_games_will_still_stream_e3_presentations

They can't call it E3 as the 3rd E is Expo.
That kind of thing never stopped anyone.

Last edited:

KahunaLagoona DX

Smash Cadet
It's the 3rd month of the 1st Quarter, I'm more a bit shocked Nintendo hasn't done a Direct yet, and yet here E3 is given the boot.

I'm kinda going to miss all the first impressions from people who play the demos at the booths. But I'll be happy that this time GameFreak isn't going to be there to bail Nintendo out again.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Geoff Keighley after he abandoned E3 way before any of this happened, but realized that this might heavily alter his event:

Screen_Shot_2018-03-07_at_2.08.13_PM.png

It's the 3rd month of the 1st Quarter, I'm more a bit shocked Nintendo hasn't done a Direct yet, and yet here E3 is given the boot.

I'm kinda going to miss all the first impressions from people who play the demos at the booths. But I'll be happy that this time GameFreak isn't going to be there to bail Nintendo out again.
If current rumors are correct, we should be seeing one on the last week of this month. Since people will stay indoors anyway, there likely won't be any further delays.

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
most events just move it to a later date..why can't E3 do that though? just asking out of curiousity.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
most events just move it to a later date..why can't E3 do that though? just asking out of curiousity.
Other people have the convention halls booked.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So with E-3 being cancelled, how will Nintendo announce a new playable fighter? A Direct?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So, just wondering, but is there a thread to talk about the (non)e3 streams and events that are going to happen?

Like, the ps5 stuff is going to be in a few days.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You can talk about that in the Social Thread.
Hmm that's boring. It'd be nice to have a place to specifically talk all of it, and for people to know where to look for the streams and all.
eh. we'll see i guess.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, E3 won't be around until next year but Nintendo Treehouse is still a thing, talking about a big game (Paper Mario) and a new reveal (something from Wayforward)

So business as usual it seems.

Top Bottom