• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E3 2014 - Super Smash Bros. Invitational - Players/Rules Announced

Showmethesmash

Smash Rookie
wait guys... so if items are on what happens once the smash ball pops up?

:colorful::bluejump::colorful:
They get busy, that's what. I think what nintendo is doing here is fantastic. We all get a good look at the game being played by a great bunch of pros. It's a chance for us all to learn more about the mechanics in a fun way. Great addition to their E3 arsenal. They will use it for something cool too.... An hour unaccounted for.... There will be something fun in there.

NewGuy79

Smash Journeyman
They get busy, that's what. I think what nintendo is doing here is fantastic. We all get a good look at the game being played by a great bunch of pros. It's a chance for us all to learn more about the mechanics in a fun way. Great addition to their E3 arsenal. They will use it for something cool too.... An hour unaccounted for.... There will be something fun in there.
I can just imagine the chaos that'll erupt once it shows up, and once some one gets it and pull off a final smash... the whole stream will be consumed by hype

Prototype

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a casual player, but I'm actually pretty happy about FFA and items being on for the initial stages of the tournament. What other time will we get to see this?

We'll get a look at movesets and mechanics, stage hazards and potential competitive stages and the overall game-speed and fluidity.
Items and hazardous stages will appeal to the casual community, as well as the things mentioned above.

So there's really something for everyone. I'm sure the majority of competitive players started out with Smash casually, so making the game look as entertaining as possible to everyone is important right now.

The players chosen are pleasantly surprising, and although there may have been prejudice when selecting the players, I'm happy that they are relatable to a wide audience.

E3 can't come sooner. :colorful:

D

Deleted member 245254

I honestly don't foresee our beloved Smash professionals pulling out anything super magical at this tournament.

Even with some time to practice with the game, the kind of time they put in to the previous iterations to get to the level they are at is a phenomenal amount of time that is both necessary and crucial to reaching the level they play at. I just do not see them showing us a similar level of play in the new game, given time to practice or not, with changed mechanics and all.

Think about it...we're looking at a directly confirmed approx. 25% difference in general game speed from both Melee & Brawl. That's a rather huge difference in fundamentals necessary to perfect your spacing, your pace, and timing. Add to the fact that many of the returning characters have brand new moves that they will have to, although I don't it past them to do so, we're looking at several hurdles to over come that simply must be over come by more than simply having an affinity for all the previous Smash games.

I'm excited to see how they tackle it, the players I mean, but I'm honestly not really expecting to see magic up there. I truly expect to see pretty average play that maybe even a lot of us would be able to compete with (give or take a few good intuition moments).

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
On the one hand Geoff Keighley is an insufferable ass, but on the other hand it is comforting to know that he really only cares about the money if he is working for a company that he has gone on record numerous times for hating. Maybe they'll have a Reggie-Geoff grudge match.

RollWithEm

Smash Rookie
So I sincerely hope the first round will be seeded (despite the fact that there will likely be a random selection process). So if you organize the players into tiers based on overall Smash ability and investment into all games at this point in these players' respective careers, you'd have 4 basic tiers like these...

1) PPMD, HBox, Zero, aMsa
2) DJNintendo, PPU, MacD, KDJ
3) HugS, Toph, Ken, milktea
4) Rapture, PeachyHime, Lilo, Crismas

I would choose one player from each tier to be in each of the 4 first round FFAs. Also, Nintendo will probably want to split the female players up to give them the highest likelihood of advancing. So it might look something like this...

FFA1 - PPMD vs. KDJ vs. milktea vs. Rapture
FFA2 - HBox vs. MacD vs. Ken vs. Peachyhime
FFA3 - Zero vs. PPU vs. Toph vs. Lilo
FFA4 - aMsa vs. DJNintendo vs. HugS vs. Crismas

I know it's unlikely, but I hope they pick the match-ups in some sort of logical fashion like that.

Prototype

Smash Apprentice
So I sincerely hope the first round will be seeded (despite the fact that there will likely be a random selection process). So if you organize the players into tiers based on overall Smash ability and investment into all games at this point in these players' respective careers, you'd have 4 basic tiers like these...

1) PPMD, HBox, Zero, aMsa
2) DJNintendo, PPU, MacD, KDJ
3) HugS, Toph, Ken, milktea
4) Rapture, PeachyHime, Lilo, Crismas

I would choose one player from each tier to be in each of the 4 first round FFAs. Also, Nintendo will probably want to split the female players up to give them the highest likelihood of advancing. So it might look something like this...

FFA1 - PPMD vs. KDJ vs. milktea vs. Rapture
FFA2 - HBox vs. MacD vs. Ken vs. Peachyhime
FFA3 - Zero vs. PPU vs. Toph vs. Lilo
FFA4 - aMsa vs. DJNintendo vs. HugS vs. Crismas

I know it's unlikely, but I hope they pick the match-ups in some sort of logical fashion like that.
You don't think they listed the matchups when announcing the players in the video?
i.e
milktea, HugS, Ken, KoreanDJ
Lilo, DJNintendo, Toph, PeachyHime
etc..

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Invitational is 4:00-6:30 PM PST (7:00-9:30 PM EST). It is 1 sitting, although there might be intermissions, ads or a half time show or something.

Its 8 matches. 7 of those matches are 4 player FFA's, items on, random stage selection, 4 stocks with 5 minute timers, the top 2 players advance to the next round. Grand finals is a 1v1, no items on Battlefield, 4 stocks, 8 minutes.

Matches will be played 1 at a time, and taking into account organization time of 5 minutes between matches (cheering, player rotation, hype creation, character selection, etc) it gives tournament about 80-90 minutes, so there is a whole hour unaccounted for. We will see what Nintendo is planning.
Check the website again -- there's a "people's choice" tournament running concurrent with the invitational, where the crowd votes on 1-2 people to enter a special bracket per round, etc.

There's your extra hour, most likely.

D

Deleted member

IGNORE THIS I'M DUMB WHY CAN'T YOU DELETE POSTS

Last edited by a moderator:

DarthLuigi36

Smash Cadet
NNID
CmonBlueFalcon
3DS FC
3823-8676-0627
I'm curious if there will actually be 3000 attendees, what with E3 also happening and people not wanting to miss that. I can't afford E3 though, so I'll be at the tournament. Anyone else going?

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
HBox will be picking Mario.
Only if he actually has the chance to pick it :p

I have a feeling people will go for Little Mac right off the bat. He looks like he's going to be a complete terror.
Rosalina, Villager (and maybe Greninja) users may have problems getting used to their playstyle though :<

And not to mention we get to confirm some final smashes :3

(list of unconfirmed Final Smashes that are in the tournament for ref)
Bowser
DK
Fox
Link
Mario
Marth
Pikachu
Olimar
Sonic (Hopefully still super sonic)
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus

silvR1995

Smash Journeyman
NNID
silvRboLt1995
3DS FC
0834-0571-4339
The main reason I say no Mario is
1) Most people here doubt Sakurai's balancing on Mario unfortunately
and 2) There are far more interesting characters to be quite honest
and lol there probably will be one person ballsy enough to pick Link after a trashy 3 game streak of low tiers xD
If I were there, that person would be me XD

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Donkey Kong, Zelda, Olimar, and WFT.
Has anyone expressed interest in Sonic? I'd put him there before WFT or Zelda, since one of the players expressed interest in Zelda.

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
Link, DK, Pikachu and either Sonic or Olimar
Nah Pikachu may not get rejected he had some high tiers in previous games. He might get picked after the more popular characters are off

The newcomers look to be fairly popular especially Greninja lol. Although Villager and Rosalina may have some steep learning curve
I would see Link, DK, Sonic and possibly Fox being rejected (EDIT: Oh yes and Mario too)
People might pick Pit because he was completely (3 Specials) changed.

So I'm gonna have some fun and speculate why the rest of the characters are not yet available for the Invitational demo (which most likely will be the Best Buy demo too):

-Ike: This one is easy, too early in development and not ready.
-Charizard: A bit more finished than Ike, but still not ready (funny how Greninja is already complete. Guess they want to show the newcomers more).
-Yoshi: Hopefully going through some heavy balancing so he can be more than lowish tier this time.
-Sheik: ZSS is ready and not Sheik? Perhaps the new specials need more polishing.
-Diddy Kong: They realized the bananas are OP? Or perhaps he has a connection with other future newcomers like Dixie or K. Rool that causes its delay.
-Lucario: Too many testers died at full aura upB. Aura too strong.
-Dedede: Working on him to make him even sexier. Or balancing Gordos.
-Toon Link: Hopefully they are changing some of his moves to reference Wind Waker and make him less of a Link clone. PLEASE?!.
-Peach: Don't have much here. But I heard someone said that they are changing her Bneutral to something else to make Toad a playable character.
-Luigi: In the end, Luigi and perhaps others here are planned for secret characters and they want to mantain some sort of mystery to them by not making them playable still. Also, polishing the new Final Smash.

Just did this for fun. And probably the reason all of these characters not being in the demo is just that they are not ready yet.
I think they are doing at least 1 member per represented universe (Including Sonic), the original 8 and newcomers

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I think they are doing at least 1 member per represented universe (Including Sonic), the original 8 and newcomers
That sounds probable. Even though Bowser and Zelda are there too, making 2 character from the Mario and Zelda universe (reasonable since, after all, they are Mario and Zelda).
Also, Yoshi is missing, and he was of the original 8 (from SSB64). It really annoys me how much he is being neglected in this Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
That sounds probable. Even though Bowser and Zelda are there too, making 2 character from the Mario and Zelda universe (reasonable since, after all, they are Mario and Zelda).
Also, Yoshi is missing, and he was of the original 8 (from SSB64). It really annoys me how much he is being neglected in this Smash Bros.
Oh yes Yoshi I forgot about him. Perhaps he's still WIP.
I am certain they put in at least one character for every universe though
EDIT: Btw was Yoshi that OP in Brawl?
Now he has the rainbow trail on his egg throw so might be more visible than before :/

I'm wondering which characters are gonna get left out :o
huh what do you mean "left out"?

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
huh what do you mean "left out"?
Since only 16 characters can be chosen out of the pool of 20, 4 get to sit by the sidelines and cry.

Sonic, DK, Link and Olimar is my bet. 100%.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Since only 16 characters can be chosen out of the pool of 20, 4 get to sit by the sidelines and cry.

I was thinking Link and DK are likely not to be chosen even though they seem to have some changes made, the player's will likely be wary of them still. Olimar, on the other hand, was pretty high tier in Brawl. I can't see the number of Pikmin changing that too much.

This really hinges on if they get to play at all prior to the tournament.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I was thinking Link and DK are likely not to be chosen even though they seem to have some changes made, the player's will likely be wary of them still. Olimar, on the other hand, was pretty high tier in Brawl. I can't see the number of Pikmin changing that too much.

This really hinges on if they get to play at all prior to the tournament.
Actually come to think of it, doesn't HBox play Olimar some, or am I thinking of someone else? He might pick him, unless he's set on Villager or Mario.

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658

hmmm the first three is understandable but Olimar? :/

The player might just need to get used to sacking Pikmin for recovery I think ._.

How about Mario?

OgiEthan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
OgiEthan
3DS FC
2766-9108-2825
I don't wanna see olimar. :( hated him more than anyone in brawl lmao

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
How can you hate Olimar?! Though, he WAS annoying in Brawl with those OP Smashes. But with this new, very balanced Smash, I have high hopes for, well, Balance. And I love Olimar, hehe.

OgiEthan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
OgiEthan
3DS FC
2766-9108-2825
Man I don't wanna see fox not get picked. I know he's been in every game, but I want to see how much has changed! And everything about olimar was ridiculous in brawl. :l

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Actually come to think of it, doesn't HBox play Olimar some, or am I thinking of someone else? He might pick him, unless he's set on Villager or Mario.
Hbox plays Olimar and Mario in PM. He might potentially pick one of them, as the basics appear to stay the same.

Toukans

Smash Rookie
Anyone know if 3000 spots will really be filled?
My buddies and I are planning to get there like an hour early to secure our wristbands. Anyone know if that's even necessary? Will there really be a huge line for something like that?
Since wristband distribution is at 9:30 and the Nintendo DEvent starts at 9...... I'd hate to miss the live DEvent but I need my wristbands!

Morbi

Scavenger
Anyone know if 3000 spots will really be filled?
My buddies and I are planning to get there like an hour early to secure our wristbands. Anyone know if that's even necessary? Will there really be a huge line for something like that?
Since wristband distribution is at 9:30 and the Nintendo DEvent starts at 9...... I'd hate to miss the live DEvent but I need my wristbands!
I am sure you will be fine, according to the website: 3,000 wristbands are available to Nintendo fans on a first-come, first-served basis, while supplies last. Fans are requested to not line up prior to Tuesday morning. I highly doubt that 3,000 people are going to be lined up to watch the tournament live (especially as it sounds as though they are not going to pass them out to people that line up prior to Tuesday morning).

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Who will be left out?

Sonic, DK, Olimar, and Link. I'm sure that's what most of you have said already.

Top Bottom