• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E. Gadd's Gallery - Luigi Video and Critique thread

PXL

Smash Rookie
NNID
nitsugatap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx-VJ7YC9Gc
okay, so i recently got into a smash tournament,and well, i thought I got it in the bag, but all of a sudden he pulls out his falcon and gets 3 wins in a row, thus causing me to lose the set. The person sitting in grand finals was pretty easy to beat (I beat him in a money match)so if I won losers, i could have won grand finals. COULD SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT WENT WRONG. i constantly rewatch my video, but dont see much mistakes. I would truely appreciate your help, thanks!

Delvro

Smash Ace
okay, so i recently got into a smash tournament,and well, i thought I got it in the bag, but all of a sudden he pulls out his falcon and gets 3 wins in a row, thus causing me to lose the set. The person sitting in grand finals was pretty easy to beat (I beat him in a money match)so if I won losers, i could have won grand finals. COULD SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT WENT WRONG. i constantly rewatch my video, but dont see much mistakes. I would truely appreciate your help, thanks!
Hi there! I like your luigi and I think you have a lot of things going for you. I'm no expert in the matchup, but I have a few thoughts based on what I saw:

The captain falcon took advantage of your landings in disadvantaged state and got big combo strings on you. When he hit you and you're coming back to the stage, he grabbed you or dash attacked you a lot. I think it would help for you to mix up your options when you're trying to get back to the stage from above and he's waiting for you.
1 Land with down b and hit him as he's dashing toward you
2 land with down b and go away from him to the ledge
3 land with a back air as he's dashing toward you
4 land and dodge/roll

4 is a good option but you use it almost exclusively and with captain falcon's speed he can grab you as you're landing. 1 is really risky but if you use it even once in a match successfully he'll think twice about dashing toward you as you land and you can start using 4 again. 2 is the safest but you give up huge stage control and put yourself in not so great a spot. 3 depends on spacing but can be nice sometimes.

Anyway hope this helps.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Very start, you rolled in toward him. Don't approach with rolls.
At 1:13, you roll twice to get behind him, please don't roll
At 1:16 you did d-throw -> down b when he was no even close to kill%, use Bair/ Uair/ Nair next time
At 1:24 you did this again ^ =/ Learn when Luigi will kill, if there are no guides, teach yourself
At 1:49 you did d-throw -> bair when he was at 37% when you could have done Dair -> Nair/ Fair -> Uair or Uair -> Uair
You then let him get on for free :l
Please stop rolling/ dodging when he's not in a situation to hit you, if you're on stage below him, you have the advantage, don't be scared =/

Game 2, 24 seconds in is just a bunch of cross up rolls =/

3:22 Lucina hits your shield with Fair. You roll toward her, Jab and then roll away when you could have jabbed Oos
3:33 You are now dead because of a fair string you jumped into, jumping immediately when you're offstage is bad, it is why you died. You are Luigi, you can recover from the blastzone

You try to cross up roll a lot, please stop. Please stop rolling when you miss a move.

3:53 You go for a hard read d-throw -> up b, trying to read the dodge when Bair would have killed Lucina =/ That airdodge read is only good between 65% -> 85%, after that, it's not really worth it.

3:59 You had the trump advantage, could have down smashed. You rolled away... twice, even though getting the read, the roll away twice wasn't necessary

Again, please stop rolling

3:59-4:53 was a bunch of rolls and jabs, and flubbed edgeguards. Not much to say.
4:54 Lucina was at 128%, D-Throw -> Down B would have easily killed, Same as Bair, maybe Nair.. but you went for a dair for maybe getting a flashy spike on stage ? You had the kill and wasted it =/

4:59 You missed a Nair, Down B is a lot easier, especially at this damage

You can argue you got the kill 27 seconds later, but I can argue if you got the kill far earlier, you could have been comboing her for those 27 seconds. And these are the games you won =/

Please use d-throw bair when it will kill, not when it won't =/
7:25 Bair, would have kill but you went for dair.. 3 times and then died
I'm not even going to comment on how you lost your second stock game 3
And then you got stage spiked

That's all I'm watching.

Your recovery needs work, your strings need work, you need to stop rolling, and you need to pick your options better

PXL

Smash Rookie
NNID
nitsugatap
Very start, you rolled in toward him. Don't approach with rolls.
At 1:13, you roll twice to get behind him, please don't roll
At 1:16 you did d-throw -> down b when he was no even close to kill%, use Bair/ Uair/ Nair next time
At 1:24 you did this again ^ =/ Learn when Luigi will kill, if there are no guides, teach yourself
At 1:49 you did d-throw -> bair when he was at 37% when you could have done Dair -> Nair/ Fair -> Uair or Uair -> Uair
You then let him get on for free :l
Please stop rolling/ dodging when he's not in a situation to hit you, if you're on stage below him, you have the advantage, don't be scared =/

Game 2, 24 seconds in is just a bunch of cross up rolls =/

3:22 Lucina hits your shield with Fair. You roll toward her, Jab and then roll away when you could have jabbed Oos
3:33 You are now dead because of a fair string you jumped into, jumping immediately when you're offstage is bad, it is why you died. You are Luigi, you can recover from the blastzone

You try to cross up roll a lot, please stop. Please stop rolling when you miss a move.

3:53 You go for a hard read d-throw -> up b, trying to read the dodge when Bair would have killed Lucina =/ That airdodge read is only good between 65% -> 85%, after that, it's not really worth it.

3:59 You had the trump advantage, could have down smashed. You rolled away... twice, even though getting the read, the roll away twice wasn't necessary

Again, please stop rolling

3:59-4:53 was a bunch of rolls and jabs, and flubbed edgeguards. Not much to say.
4:54 Lucina was at 128%, D-Throw -> Down B would have easily killed, Same as Bair, maybe Nair.. but you went for a dair for maybe getting a flashy spike on stage ? You had the kill and wasted it =/

4:59 You missed a Nair, Down B is a lot easier, especially at this damage

You can argue you got the kill 27 seconds later, but I can argue if you got the kill far earlier, you could have been comboing her for those 27 seconds. And these are the games you won =/

I'm not even going to comment on how you lost your second stock game 3
And then you got stage spiked

That's all I'm watching.

Your recovery needs work, your strings need work, you need to stop rolling, and you need to pick your options better

Alright, thanks for the tips. Usually, I DONT have rolling habits, but then again it was my first tournament into losers finals. It was the tournament jitters I'm guessing. lol. I know my luigi needs work, and thats why I am here. I am trying the best I can to get better. And, for luigi, dthrow into bair is a really safe combo, almost unpunishable. I think that follow up brings you great stage control and racks up some decent damage. I'm a momentum based player, I try to do these flashy stuff, and for the most part, they work... when I'm not in tournament... It's different being in tournament and knowing that most of your opponents know how to DI correctly , and punish properly. I have a lot to work on. I now noticed ALL my mistakes, thanks to you. Thanks for the critique.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Alright, thanks for the tips. Usually, I DONT have rolling habits, but then again it was my first tournament into losers finals. It was the tournament jitters I'm guessing. lol. I know my luigi needs work, and thats why I am here. I am trying the best I can to get better. And, for luigi, dthrow into bair is a really safe combo, almost unpunishable. I think that follow up brings you great stage control and racks up some decent damage. I'm a momentum based player, I try to do these flashy stuff, and for the most part, they work... when I'm not in tournament... It's different being in tournament and knowing that most of your opponents know how to DI correctly , and punish properly. I have a lot to work on. I now noticed ALL my mistakes, thanks to you. Thanks for the critique.
Just because something is flashy and looks cool, and works outside of tourney matches, does not mean it's better.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR8Dhx2gxhg

just noticed this got uploaded. It's a 2-hour wifi session with Raziek, Luigi vs. Robin. Even though it's online and he's using a certain custom moveset, i hope it sheds some light on what to do/not to do against Robin. if it helps anyone, i'm happy.

so much luigi talent these days. i can't even begin to compete. keep up the good work guys!

<3 zhao

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Go For Broke videos finally got uploaded to youtube along with videos from Bar Battles X so I'll relink Go For Broke because twitch sucks.

-Go For Broke
vs Vincessantly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRsNKJSklfo

vs Kingtoon (LFs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8IZlC0yPCw

vs Unknown (GFs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFAtNumFc0o

-Bar Battles X
vs Eazy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyAF7ywooDk

vs Moosh (WFs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feVl5kuLdNI

vs Eazy (GFs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDe7FHFrjw0

shadowdude

Smash Apprentice
You air dodged to much and got badly punished for it.also you didn't use fire balls enough so it allowed him to play his game with no worries.You should try to space with fire balls and keep him out,falcons like to rush you a lot so you have to put fire balls in there way and react based on what he does. Also you should NEVER use Luigi's up special unless you know it will hit,you lost a couple of stocks because you tried to hit it unnecessarily

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
I know this post is a bit old but I just felt I had to say a couple of things
I usually go for a down throw and down air instead of back air under 90% when my opponent is offstage from a down throw. Sometimes through 70-100 I will up b. Above 90 percent I will start using the cyclone trying to kill.
Down throw air dodge reads are good to about 105 against heavies, I found ganon EXTREMELY hard to kill with down throw down b last time I played him.

Shoyo James

believe in the buge
Played in another local tourney last night and managed to grab 2nd place next to Nakat. Their tournament also has a few notable players too such as Keitaro, Blue, Moose, and Tokyo. When I first played Tokyo it was a very strange battle because I had no idea how to fight Ness. At all.... :(
https://youtu.be/cqiVqXhvs3A This is my match against Tokyo. Critique would be appreciated.

https://youtu.be/BNHM9EdV0o4 aaaand this is my match against Nakat. It went alright at first, then I got completely destroyed hehe. (6 stocked!) Critique would be INCREDIBLY appreciated because dang I got bopped hard by Ness

wertyou2

Smash Cadet
These are two matches I've had on Anther's with people who are at or below my ranking (Bronze I). (I'm sorry for potato quality; if it's preferred that I don't have such low quality, just tell me. I don't have any other way to make a better video though. sorry)

Me vs. Falcon, which is a character that I've fought incessantly since day 1 and yet still have a huge amount of trouble with (this is one of the very few instances in which I've won a set against Falcon; I believe I ended up losing the set)

Me vs. WFT, and this is (I believe) only the second time I ever fought WFT.

First off, I want to know if I even did a good job, and then after that I want fundamental tips, and then character stuff, if that's okay. If you don't want to do that though, that's fine to. I just want to know how to not suck so much. And please be honest.

veritron

Smash Cadet
These are two matches I've had on Anther's with people who are at or below my ranking (Bronze I). (I'm sorry for potato quality; if it's preferred that I don't have such low quality, just tell me. I don't have any other way to make a better video though. sorry)

Me vs. Falcon, which is a character that I've fought incessantly since day 1 and yet still have a huge amount of trouble with (this is one of the very few instances in which I've won a set against Falcon; I believe I ended up losing the set)

Me vs. WFT, and this is (I believe) only the second time I ever fought WFT.

First off, I want to know if I even did a good job, and then after that I want fundamental tips, and then character stuff, if that's okay. If you don't want to do that though, that's fine to. I just want to know how to not suck so much. And please be honest.
I think the three big things are:
1. You're spending too much time in the air. Fast-fall more. This is your big problem in the Falcon fight, Falcon's just getting under you after points when you don't fast fall.
2. Your spot-dodging is very predictable, and it's harming your game. Powershielding is not difficult to do in smash4 and it gives all the benefits without keeping you in place for 30 frames.
3. You're using fireballs as a defensive tool by rolling away and throwing them to cover your escape. You should consider using fireball as a gap closer/approach tool instead, and also prefer canceling your dash with shield and switching direction to rolling away whenever possible.

wertyou2

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3du_m6WXJFQ&feature=youtu.be Me vs. Lucina

In this fight, did I win because I did a good job, or because my opponent did a bad job? And also what in general can I fix? I feel like i shouldn't go for down b so much at lower percents, and I should work on throwing out my moves faster, but I want to know what everyone else thinks. If that's ok, i mean.

Hyper Crasher

Smash Apprentice
I'd appreciate some critique on this set I had earlier today, I didn't feel on top of my game but this definitely felt achievable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXFm6bFRhy0
(1-2 vs jjrockets who is a :4diddy:from Chicago)
Game 3 I felt like I played pretty terrible in, probably nerves or anxiety got to me or something. Any help would be appreciated.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Here's a couple of sets from about a week ago from my Luigi, tell me what you think!

DialNouns

Smash Cadet
NNID
NiallDownes95
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWDGpK8C5ck&index=6&list=PLU277s-t8KNLuyMQGLasPomcAbzNqliKD games 2 and 3 are My :4luigi: vs :4megaman:. First time playing a decant Megaman and i felt i really struggled in neutral particularly in game 3 ;_;. Any advice/critiques would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht_Iw7W1Ns0 vs:4villager:/:4marth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Iw2fZv6vI8 vs :4peach:/:4sheik:

Hey everyone, make sure to just turn off the last vid after game 1, I just body him repeatedly and no one needs to see that. (pls)

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
^ I saw both videos and my comments are provided down below. I'm not exactly savvy with Luigi's optimal combos or frame data but these are just a few tips I could provide.

My first recommendation is to not rely on Green Missile as an attack due to it's lower chance of misfire, how easy it is to shield, and how open it leaves you. It wasn't a problem in these matches but it will certainly haunt you against other players who can capitalize off of this. Secondly, be stingy with your Smash attacks as you fight. Again, you weren't in any danger against your two opponents but they do leave you open for counterattack.

I'd also recommend making good use of Luigi's insane grabs. . Down throw -> Fair -> Uair is a good example of an easy combo Weegee's grab can lead to.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Do you have time to spare? Are you that bored? Do you need a green spark in your life? Then watch 19 matches and an hour of Luigi vs. Dr. Mario that was uploaded on terminalkai: https://youtu.be/mr164uYSIr4. Different players duke it out over the ultimate question of does school really matter. Can you get by with only high school and some college like Luigi or do you need to go through and get a degree like the Doc? Find out as you give up an hour of your life. Oh, and critique away as they're all different players. Timestamps help too. :p

Top Bottom