• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E. Gadd's Gallery - Luigi Video and Critique thread

Kace Mono

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4OgLsIp3J4&feature=youtu.be
Hey guys, this is a video my friend uploaded of a match we had. I was hoping to get some pointers from more experienced players. I've recently picked up luigi as a second to deal with characters that Greninja cant and would really appreciate some criticism. I realise i roll alot, and am desperately trying to work that out but other than that... Thanks in advance = D

Liwi808

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, this is a video my friend uploaded of a match we had. I was hoping to get some pointers from more experienced players. I've recently picked up luigi as a second to deal with characters that Greninja cant and would really appreciate some criticism. I realise i roll alot, and am desperately trying to work that out but other than that... Thanks in advance = D
Yes, good to realize that you roll too much. I noticed right away, lol. Try dash dancing instead, or doing empty short hops. Also, I noticed that you missed a lot of follow ups, especially during Pika's second stock. You tended to go for the u-air (which is fine at higher percents), but at really low percents d-throw to f-air + f-fair or d-throw to f-air + u-air is almost always better in terms of damage output and combo potential.

Also, you tended to throw out too many smash attacks, which left you open to punishes from PIkachu due to his high mobility. Against slower characters it's not so much of a problem, but you need to be very aware of when you use smashes against a character like Pikachu.

Last thing, I noticed that you used your second jump, and THEN used green missile. This is almost always a no-no. Use green missile first whenever you can, because Luigi is incredibly prone to being gimped, and having that second jump is an absolute life-saver (since it also allows you to gain height with the 'nado easily). In general, its better for Luigi to recover low, then use his second jump + 'nado + SJP; that will let you recover low from the bottom of nearly every stage. However these are just guidelines, and you don't want to make your recovery too predictable (like with any character). I'm sure that if on your last stock (at 4:00), if you had tried to recover lower and saved your jump, you could have had a decent chance of winning that match.

Last edited:

Kace Mono

Smash Cadet
Yes, good to realize that you roll too much. I noticed right away, lol. Try dash dancing instead, or doing empty short hops. Also, I noticed that you missed a lot of follow ups, especially during Pika's second stock. You tended to go for the u-air (which is fine at higher percents), but at really low percents d-throw to f-air + f-fair or d-throw to f-air + u-air is almost always better in terms of damage output and combo potential.

Also, you tended to throw out too many smash attacks, which left you open to punishes from PIkachu due to his high mobility. Against slower characters it's not so much of a problem, but you need to be very aware of when you use smashes against a character like Pikachu.

Last thing, I noticed that you used your second jump, and THEN used green missile. This is almost always a no-no. Use green missile first whenever you can, because Luigi is incredibly prone to being gimped, and having that second jump is an absolute life-saver (since it also allows you to gain height with the 'nado easily). In general, its better for Luigi to recover low, then use his second jump + 'nado + SJP; that will let you recover low from the bottom of nearly every stage. However these are just guidelines, and you don't want to make your recovery too predictable (like with any character). I'm sure that if on your last stock (at 4:00), if you had tried to recover lower and saved your jump, you could have had a decent chance of winning that match.

Thanks Muchly! ill put that into practice ASAP.

USPY.3620

Smash Cadet
Hey all,

Played a set of four friendlies against another guy at a tournament and got it recorded for this thread. I lose most of them, but figure it'd be a good critique video. The guy I played placed pretty high, so I was satisfied with my performance. I played my Luigi in games 1 and 3. (Played my Duck Hunt in game 2 and got whomped, played my Diddy in game 4 and fared pretty well).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc_2e7WN1kc&list=PLIeQRuPxnohI0Uh4uzVV1nee-zFsbqWUr&index=2

0:01-4:34 - USPY (Luigi) vs. SuperTNT (Falco)

9:15-13:06 - USPY (Luigi) vs. SuperTNT (Falco)

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
I've been winning a few big tournaments in Texas.
Luigi is soooo real in this game
I've actually been watching those videos to up my game in preparation for a few upcoming tournaments (along with some videos of Boss). Inspirational **** man.

USPY.3620

Smash Cadet
Yeah dude - good stuff. I like your spacing and your approach game. You play more horizontal than anything, and I like that. It's a good step to playing Luigi competitively.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Went to a custom tournament on Saturday and got 9th out of 39 people. This is the only match of mine that was recorded. Neos is currently #6 in GA. I feel like I definitely held my own but I also made some mistakes. Critique if you can. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9ztVodz50o&index=9&list=PLOIVDZCiJchFhdLjLAajP2Ml8dXAKxZc8
Quick Tip: You keep shielding Aerials and it pushes you back. If you want the punish, then Spot dodge. Also, I'm pretty sure 1311 is our best custom set up

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
What custom set were you running?
I used the default. I'm not a fan of any of Luigi's customs. I don't need Floating Missile because I have no problem recovering from any distance. Quick Missile is well...quick but it has a lot of lag (especially on the ground so accidental side Bs are death). Also, accidental side Bs put Luigi waay offstage. And yeah...the possibility of accidentally using side B isn't really an excuse because I should have my inputs down but still...I'm not perfect.

Quick Tip: You keep shielding Aerials and it pushes you back. If you want the punish, then Spot dodge. Also, I'm pretty sure 1311 is our best custom set up
Thanks for the tip. Question about spot dodges: What's the technique for properly spot dodging? Do you time the aerial or just spot dodge when they approach? It seems like a riskier option because of the possibility to be hit before and after the spot dodge. You're safe from all attacks except grabs with the shield. On the other hand, spot dodges set you up for more punishes because there is no pushback.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
I used the default. I'm not a fan of any of Luigi's customs. I don't need Floating Missile because I have no problem recovering from any distance. Quick Missile is well...quick but it has a lot of lag (especially on the ground so accidental side Bs are death). Also, accidental side Bs put Luigi waay offstage. And yeah...the possibility of accidentally using side B isn't really an excuse because I should have my inputs down but still...I'm not perfect.
Quick missile is hard to explain, but it basically gives me the option to avoid this situation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysGArYIAUBI&t=337
Quick missile would let me punish him for going out to hit me by flying quickly past him. It helped me win against him at the big tournament last Saturday.

Thanks for the tip. Question about spot dodges: What's the technique for properly spot dodging? Do you time the aerial or just spot dodge when they approach? It seems like a riskier option because of the possibility to be hit before and after the spot dodge. You're safe from all attacks except grabs with the shield. On the other hand, spot dodges set you up for more punishes because there is no pushback.
Hold shield and then spot dodge out of shield

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
Hey guys figured I would share some of the vids and tournament footage I've been in so hope you enjoy.

If anyone can notice bad tendencies or lack of optimal options I may not be taking in given situations feel free to point them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY6DpcmjvJc V Hoe4u (Pikachu)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP9IiRzK42I 9:25 V Omega (Rosalina) 21:14 V G~P (Sonic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BftkWS-f6IE V (WF) Luigimitsu (Luigi/Villager)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2UhA4SXuos V (GF) Luigimitsu (Luigi/Villager)

DSD2 was a customs tournament, personally I feel his default set up is the set up I want to go with for multiple reasons.

Customs is not yet a standard ruleset, but one that is under trial.
I have more I want to learn as Luigi in his default set up, I already try to make up for Luigi's weaknesses through playing center stage so I have no need to try and make my recovery quicker I will just be aiming to play well.
If customs become a mainstay, I will pick them maybe on a MU basis but I feel we got lucky as it is... the build we got suits Luigi very well.

Last edited:

Hyper Crasher

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, some big tourneys just happened and I'm to get some critique on my Weegee, but they are taking a bit to upload.
For the time being I'll post some other sets and see if there is anything else I need to improve on besides what I already did like one thing I can think of is using Tornado to recover too high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqodCl74pyc Vs Smasher1001(Mario)(This is a 42 minute long Grand Finals set)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htfz81RA4ss Vs Anther(Pikachu)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db8X_xH8NCo Vs Kipdog(Pikachu)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMLS8TIxOEM Vs Swanky(Diddy)

At this same tourney, I fought 3 pikachus in a row and they were all recorded but Idk what happened to the third video. Maybe not uploaded yet. The matchups I feel like I need some help on are Rosalina and Sheik. Some help on Mario, Ike, and Sonic would be appreciated too. Thanks! and I'm probably gonna be back with more after everything gets uploaded.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
All these Luigi's posting videos of them winning tournaments or placing highly. I need to step my game up haha

Liwi808

Smash Cadet
Well people who place low in tournies or get knocked out in the first two rounds aren't gonna go rushing to post their videos.

Last edited:

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Well people who place low in tournies or get knocked out in the first two rounds aren't gonna go rushing to post their videos.
Why not? It's a critique thread. We're here to pick apart the video and tell them what they could work on. It's actually more beneficial than the Q&A thread because we have visual evidence of their style and can tell them things they might not even notice.

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
Starting from 1:07 I feel you would be better off attempting to walk towards Mario and closing the distance.
Mario could afford to approach you with b-air, his airspeed is amazing as you probably know so jumping as Luigi can be a real commitment that you will regret. It will also give Mario enough time to think about what he would like to do next as we take a fair amount of time to land from a full hop, so it's not a situation you want force yourself into often without having to.

2:15 best d-throw set up you could have done in that situation imo so good decision making, the only thing again I would suggest is walk. I think you would have punished Smasher's shield if you have not dashed past him, I'm not telling you to walk literally everywhere but you will have access to perfect shielding (for projectiles and making your way in it's huge) and it's not such a commitment for you to have to stop momentum.

2:29 - Bad fireball spacing and choice, it's a problem that all Luigi players have gotten punished for, grounded fireballs are mostly for mid-screen poking which gives us time to make our way in. If the opponent gives the fireball TOO MUCH respect then that is when we can begin play around with player habits. In reality the reason why fireball use has to be on point is because the hitstun on a fireball grounded is minimal, the opponent can hit their fastest button and pretty much negate the hitstun. Fortunate for us, as long as we are spaced correctly we still have one of the best jabs in the game so we can play with that when the situation arises.

2:35 - Hyper you did exactly what I was mentioning earlier and made your way through so much easier so from here it looks like you have already adapted.

Woah... A little after you start rolling a lot, as if it's a comfort zone to movement... In time if this happen is not under control it will cost you games.

2:57 - I can't tell if you want that or a reverse fireball but if that had been misfire would have been the game :p I would have laughed and been happy for you.

3:22 - Okay this point I will make is probably the most important so far, I also suffer with this problem at times. Hyper, you gave up so much space and let him come back to stage for free. I really do not think you had to move right so much, I think if you had stayed put you would have kept center stage and given smasher more to worry about but...I can see why you did move as you were probably feeling cautious or at least that is what I think you are thinking at this point.

Good finish to 1st game.

4:48 - Any Luigi who reads this, please try to avoid using u-tilt before 27-29%(roughly) you are basically about to be punished ON HIT and give up your pressure.

Decent use of tilts, you probably use tilts more than I do I prefer use jab because it's quicker and for stage positioning of myself and the opponent. Though you are not being punished as yet and it's decent damage and in this mu as long as Mario not SH'ing it's definitely good use.

5:13- Ahh damn, that was a shield grab opportunity I felt that was a early kill possibility... Gotta make people feel bad for attacking your shield without spacing but this is for future. Playing and watching/critiquing are very different so I hope I don't sound like I am trying to demean you or anything.

5:15 - The jump was a evasion to the fair so I can respect that, the only thing I can suggest is DI first, the jump may have come a little too quick but if there really is no other choice then yeah you gotta do what you gotta do but that was a rough situation to be in landing was always difficult once you had used your jump.

5:41 - For future scenarios like this, jump cyclone catch an air-dodge and kill an opponent ;) I really feel you could have done that, try for yourself against friends/rivals in casual sessions and see if you feel comfortable but I've done it enough to know. U-air was not a wrong choice though, good damage and juggling it's just when you are down taking the stock is what you need but this is just for future cases. Playing the situation safe in a tournament setting is what I usually do but when times are looking grim is when you are forced to start taking risks that are worth the reward.

6:48 - Gotta walk, perfect shield and intimidate smasher. As the commentator said you were losing the neutral fireballs war because Mario can play it better than we can. It's why just dashing all the time is ill-advised, walking is slower but we still have all our options on deck when we want them.

LOL damn Game 3 not much to say or suggest you did your thing :p

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
I'm back with more videos. These are far more recent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ly62iD9TkI (Vs Rayquaza) :rosalina: vs :4luigi: Game 1, Game 2 is a :rosalina: mirror
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6rvQbnrCfg (Vs Smasher1001) :4mario:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwSjJtZgpCE (Vs Serge) :4sheik:

Any and all help is appreciated. :rosalina:is currently a huge problem for me, to the point I think I should go a secondary which most like will be :rosalina:. Thanks!
Sorry for double post!

Yeah I know Rosa doesn't give us much choice, risks are pretty much a thing we have to embrace in this mu.
If you really have to cyclone you have to give the opponent minimal time to shield punish it otherwise it's just a selection punish from Rosa where she can go for raw damage or throw us off the stage and begin to wall us out.

I'm having to watch scenarios multiple times to give you good advice..

1:29 - Challenging Rosa with u-air in your situation probably is not worth it... Luma is waiting and you used your second jump to do it. Simply recovering low will not always be the best bet because Rosa will chase you but I feel you need to wait for Rosa to throw out the dair 1st and then hit her or you have to be so confident that your u-air is gonna make contact before her D-air.

Jabbing *Jab 3 sends Luma into helpless* is a must in this mu, we need to get rid of Luma quickly, if I get a grab I even go for f-throw just so that I do not have Rosa and Luma ready to attack me.

2:35 good series of events from you, just unfortunate the stock was not taken.

Okay... general notes as much as Luigi may feel the need to force things because we know we are gonna spend a majority of a match being walled we have to be patient. Forcing situations is EXACTLY what Rosalina and Luma will destroy us for, so we have to think about what we have on the ground.

Jab combo - Sends Luma into helpless no matter how much damage it has taken.
All smashes - Same effect
Dash Attack-Same effect (HAS to be LAST hit.)
Everything else it starts getting very specific with what can get rid of Luma and when.
I've just been in training mode 3 fireballs fresh, do 18% damage... from here b-air gets rid of Luma no other aerial gets rid of Luma as quick so I am gonna assume Luma dies according to how high a move's base knockback is but I maybe wrong.
What I can tell is that seems to be specific amounts of damage Luma needs to take in order for her to do down, this is something we probably all have known sub consciously but instead of whiffing aerial we need to pretty much do the maths as with this MU is going to be a thing.
Ok even in a real match, if we get Luma with a B-air after hitting 3 fireballs on it...helpless animation.

Against Rosa, I think we need to be on the ground until we get her in a situation we can press in the air, I am gonna do more research as Rosa is definitely difficult for us but we need to do more to figure her out.
Sorry it became both a MU analysis and critique but I hope it helps you and anyone else who reads.

Hyper Crasher

Smash Apprentice
Oh cool JMiller! I was talking to Zinoto about you yesterday at a tourney lol.

The thing with Rosa I'm having a lot of trouble with is she can shut down Luigi pretty well, I play mostly defensive but Rosa shuts down most of my game plan and I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Loe1 and I both agree it's really hard to deal with her, the Rosa mirror went better but I still lost. I'm probably going to have to fight Rayquaza again this weekend, and I'm not too certain on what I'm going to do against him this time. A good thing about fighting Ray is he is very textbook, but he's good at what he does and Rosa can be really dumb. I might try the Rosa mirror again though.

Smasher I feel very confident against, but tips always help. I am definitely going to implement walking more.

Do you have any tips for Sheik as she is another matchup that I tend to struggle a bit with. I really appreciate the help though!

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
I'll try give you advise on that MU tomorrow by watching the video and see if I can help.
Mind me asking what was said when I somehow came up? haha

Hyper Crasher

Smash Apprentice
Zinoto was talking about how he didn't think dthrow down b wasn't a thing and he said that he was never hit by it once, not even JMiller hit it on him. Then I hit him with it multiple times lol. Now he thinks it is a real thing despite a lot of people thinking you can get out of it.
Also thanks for the help!

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
I never got to play Zinoto though :/ I really don't recall getting to play him whist in America at all.
Yeah people really need to wisen up about the set up, we have to judge it well but once we hit it people need to realise it's just down to us not to mess it up.
Nick Riddle lost a stock due to ignorance in tournament vs me because he thought he could mash out of he set up :( Not a way I want or need to win a match.

Hyper Crasher

Smash Apprentice
Zinoto said he fought you, maybe in dubs? I'm not too sure since I didn't go to Apex or anything.
I tend to abuse dthrow down b since it's super reliable, it has gotten to the point where people are starting to hate it and a bandwagon has started to form, but no one in the state is as consistent with it.
It's really good but people are gonna complain no matter what so who cares lol.

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
Zinoto said he fought you, maybe in dubs? I'm not too sure since I didn't go to Apex or anything.
I tend to abuse dthrow down b since it's super reliable, it has gotten to the point where people are starting to hate it and a bandwagon has started to form, but no one in the state is as consistent with it.
It's really good but people are gonna complain no matter what so who cares lol.
Nope I never played doubles at Apex and I would definitely recall playing him as it's something I would have liked. I think he may have got me mixed up with someone else.
Yeah I know there are quite a few people ******** about the set up, it's strong but although we get a strong reward it's just as big of a risk, if we get it wrong there are two opportunities of a punish.
Tech, if we mash incorrectly...opponent hits the floor first whilst we are still in recovery and we either are in line for a hefty punish or maybe a stock loss.
Punish a complete whiff.
It's kinda shocking people don't look things up like this.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Tbh I'm still surprised that some luigis aren't able to do dthrow downb. It's so easy to do imo.

Also I do agree it is punishable if you mess up. But do remember that the hitstun on the move if they fall out is massive so it won't always be a guaranteed punish for them if they fall out too high up.

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
There's also the fact that down throw to down b is very rage dependent. Without rage, some characters can live it well past 150.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
I forget the exact percent I got for DK (one of the heavier chars) but he starts dying to dthrow cyclone at 128% while Luigi is at 0% on fd. Same thing for Bowser, but he starts dying around 117%. Knowing that, most of the cast should definitely be dying to it before 150% even without rage.

It would be more of a stage dependent factor than a rage dependent factor.

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
Maybe that or I may have staled it. This was on battlefield against diddy kong. He lived at 160 to it.

CMonster1221

Smash Rookie
NNID
CMonster1221
Can I get some input on my booty Luigi. First smash game I have tried to get into semi seriously. I come from fighting games so still trying to get an understanding on the quirks of this game.

http://www.twitch.tv/pastimelegends/c/6386646

http://www.twitch.tv/pastimelegends/c/6386744

http://www.twitch.tv/pastimelegends/c/6386765

Still getting used to custom missile. I have def killed myself a few times using it or getting a miss input.

Also if I miss-fire into the wall am I at the mercy of my opponent and have to try to tech the wall or can you mash out quicker?

Last edited:

PXL

Smash Rookie
NNID
nitsugatap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNZ2y5V6LOA
Here is a video of me going against a Falcon in Anthers Ladder. I am somewhat new to the community, so I would please appreciate any feedback. I know this is not the best quality, but you could try to help me as much as I can. (:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Uploaded on terminal and not my gameplay, Luigi vs. Mario: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX9bSSixfmI.

vs. Pit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnLGDqaUgNg.

vs. Villager: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCOa6fcyXoc.

vs. Toon Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUpB9ahOXDs.

Edit: From Great's Channel, Luigi vs. Falco and the third match is Marth vs. Charizard or Lizardon, Charizard's Japanese name: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjmwO1CAFO8.

Edit 2: Edit Harder: CrispyTacoz's Luigi vs. PhoenixD's Mario: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hWqKDsSYAk.

vs. Trevonte's Palutena and Sheik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uFq_D23_IU.

Super Oven's Luigi vs. Solitary's Shulk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQQCqwObYDo.

Nitro's Luigi vs. Scourge's Sonic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feONhqZ8f04.

Last edited:

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Another tournament I was at last Friday. Got 9th out of 22 ppl. My current level seems to be right in the middle of being good and bad. I beat all the lower level players but lose to all the higher level players. Kinda frustrating to always be just out of the mix. Gotta keep working I guess. Please critique if you can.

Round 1 match : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_Z95SVTGBY
This wasn't very difficult. Started getting a little over confident the second game. Costed me a lot of damage and a stock.

Round 2 Winners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cz1qkFdlJ4
I always lose to this guy in tournament 0-2. Might have been in my head a bit. I've had trouble vs Sonic lately. I feel like I shouldn't be getting dominated by Spindash but I do and can never punish him for using it.

No videos of my other matches (at least not yet). Round 1 Losers was against a Wario I went 2-1 against. Round 2 Losers was against a Peach I went 2-0 against. Then I was eliminated in Round 3 against a Mega Man. Seems like a very tough MU for Luigi. Even harder with excessive use of pellets.

Delvro

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I just went to a tournament in MO and would like some tips. This is a custom moves on tournament, and I went 1111.

http://www.twitch.tv/socostreams/b/651268720 (my first match is at 1:48:30)
first match vs Zander's shulk (win)
second match vs Biscuit's Rosalina (loss)

Unfortunately, there were three games in losers bracket that weren't streamed, but here's me in loser's semis and then loser's finals:
http://www.twitch.tv/socostreams/b/651268720 (my match starts at 3:09:00)
first match vs twopac's fox (win)
second match vs ZZZ's Donkey kong (loss)

I had huge problems getting on on rosalina and started rolling too much. I'm not used to the match up and think I can do better next time. Got 3rd place though ! ^_^

Last edited:
Top Bottom