• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Duster, the Thief with a Limp, Joins the Battle!!

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
"Tonda Gossa"

Who is Duster?

That is a very good question! Duster is one of Lucas's party members in the RPG MOTHER 3. Like Lucas, Duster is a resident of Tazmily Village and was trained by his father Wess to become a master thief ever since he was a child. With his signature limp and thief tools, Duster accompanied Lucas and friends on a journey to take down the Pigmask Army, and proved to be one of the most unique and resourceful fighters in the MOTHER series.

What Makes Duster a Unique Fighter?
There is a lot that makes Duster unique in comparison to the rest of the MOTHER universe. For one, he isn't a PSI/PK user like the majority of MOTHER protagonists. But what makes him stand out from other non PSI users are his thief tools, and surprisingly, his ability to kick opponents even though he is handicapped. Duster isn't like Lloyd or Jeff who both use rockets and other machinery in combat, he has a completely different fighting style which could make him one of the most diverse fighters in Smash. Let's go over his abilities in MOTHER 3 and discuss how they could translate into a moveset.

Thief Tools:
  1. Wall Staples - The Wall Staples are Duster's signature technique. Outside of battle, Duster uses his Wall Staples to help Lucas and friends climb vertical inclines, while in battle, they can be used to temporarily paralyze enemies by pinning them down. In Smash, I could totally see Duster being able to create ladders using his Wall Staples, and maybe he could fire them off at opponents to pin them down as a unique grab. Either way, there is a lot of potential and creativity for the Wall Staples and their implementation in Smash.
  2. Siren Beetle - The Siren Beetle is a beetle that emits a loud noise and causes enemies to cover their ears. I could see the Siren Beetle being used as a special that may deal little damage, but the kicker (no pun intended) is that it could stun enemies for a short time like Ness's PK Fire. I don't really have the most creative mind out there but I'm sure there could be fun ways to implement this move into Smash.
  3. Hypno Pendulum - The Hypno Pendulum puts enemies to sleep. There aren't too many characters in Smash who have the ability to make enemies sleep besides Jigglypuff. Like the Siren Beetle, this could be another move to leave enemies susceptible to attacks and combos in Smash. Also, in MOTHER 3, the Hypno Pendulum is used to hear enemies' heartbeats. When you attack at the same time an enemy's heart beats, you could pull off multi-hit combos. This attack system unique to MOTHER 3 would be pretty cool to see in Smash, though I'm not sure how well it could be implemented.
  4. Smoke Bomb - In MOTHER 3, the Smoke Bomb causes enemies to cry, making them unable to attack. Instead of giving Duster yet another way to stun enemies, the Smoke Bomb could instead be used to, well, create smoke and help camouflage Duster so he could escape sticky situations unscathed.
  5. Scary Mask - The Scary Mask lowers an enemies' offense by 20%. I'm not entirely sure how this could be used in Smash, but Sakurai always has tricks up his sleeve. Or maybe this move could just be left out, who knows.
  6. Tickle Stick - The opposite of the Scary Mask, the Tickle Stick lowers an enemies' defense by 20%. I could see Duster using the Tickle Stick offensively, perhaps as a weapon in his smash attacks or tilts. (See Scary Mask explanation).
  7. Rope Snake - Yes, in Smash Lucas uses Duster's R0pe Snake. But that doesn't necessarily deconfirm Duster! In MOTHER 3, Duster uses his Rope Snake to swing across ledges. Also, Duster can latch his Rope Snake on a flying projectile to hang onto it (he used this twice in MOTHER 3 with Lucas and friends). The Rope Snake is an excellent choice for Duster's recover. Like in MOTHER 3, his Smash recovery could involve Rope Snake latching onto a bird cage full of birds and then soaring through the air. Rope Snake could also be used offensively in other attacks like Duster's tilts.
Duster has plenty of tools at his disposal to make him a very diverse and unique fighter in Smash. Not only would he be representing the non PSI users of the MOTHER series, but the more unique side of the non PSI users (since Lloyd and Jeff are almost identical in fighting style). There is so much potential waiting to be explored in this character.

Arguments Against Duster
1. There's no chance of another MOTHER 3 character, it hasn't even been released outside of Japan!

All I have to say is look at Lucas. He made it in, right? Lucas is a Japanese exclusive character outside of Smash. Look at Marth and Roy in Melee. They became super popular characters in the Smash community and Nintendo decided to release Fire Emblem outside of Japan. Just because MOTHER 3 was not released in America means absolutely nothing when it comes to who gets into Smash. Practically ANY video game character is legible for a spot in Smash Bros. If anything, someone like Cloud would have less of chance of joining the roster since he never even appeared on a Nintendo console. But look, he's in Smash now! So I don't really believe this argument holds up too well.

2. There are so many better options than Duster for a MOTHER representative! Ninten, Porky, Kumatora, Paula, Poo, Jeff, Giygas!

Do you notice a common trend among popular MOTHER requests? If you look closely... real close, you'll notice that they are all PSI users (besides Jeff who's already a deconfirmed assist). Characters like Ninten, Ana, Paula, Poo, and Kumatora are all very popular in the MOTHER community, but Ness and Lucas pretty much have them covered in terms of moves. As for other MOTHER characters, Teddy is basically another macho swordsman (don't have too many of those, wink) and Lloyd would play almost the same way as Jeff. And there's no way Lloyd would get in before Jeff does. Porky and Giygas are both the primary antagonists of the MOTHER series and could have pretty unique movesets. They're both PSI users but I could see there being more to their characters in Smash.

However, what separates Duster from all of the options for MOTHER representation is his uniqueness. I mean there really is no other character in the series quite like Duster. He visually looks different, he fights differently with so many diverse attacks, and overall has a lot of depth and personality that couldn't be captured from any other character. Yes, Porky and Giygas would be amazing and probably do have a better overall chance, but something about Duster is just so special and his inclusion in Smash would represent a whole 'nother side of the MOTHER universe.

3. Duster should just be another assist trophy like Jeff. Plain and simple.

This is probably one of the strongest arguments against Duster. If you notice in Ness's new final smash, he is accompanied by Paula and Poo while the last party member (Jeff) is represented as an assist trophy. In Lucas's new final smash, he is accompanied by Kumatora and Boney, while Duster is... NOWHERE? (Again, no pun intended). Unless they haven't revealed him as an assist trophy yet, Duster has yet to make his appearance in Smash Bros Ultimate. In my opinion, if Duster really was an assist trophy, they would have shown him when they were showing off Jeff and the new final Smashes. Why would they just awkwardly reveal him at a completely random time when MOTHER and assist trophies were given a specific focus at E3? This could mean that Duster might not show up period, but it could also indicate that there is more in store for him. Could Duster end up being another assist trophy? Sure. But that would be such a waste of potential.

4. Duster already has representation in Smash!

I guess so. Lucas has Duster's Rope Snake and a Duster alt skin. BUT, Princess Peach had a Daisy alt skin and now Daisy is in the game as an echo fighter! Also, Kirby has a Meta Knight alt and he's an original fighter! So this argument does not really hold up at all.

Closing Statement & Supporter's List
As a Smash Bros fighter, Duster has so much potential when compared to other characters from the MOTHER series. Although he's not the most popular or most well known character, his uniqueness cannot be denied. Duster would definitely stand out amongst the 65-70 characters in the new game and all of his potential should not be shafted for a mere assist trophy. Nintendo, please give us one of the most unique protagonists from the MOTHER series! If you would like to support Duster for Smash, just simply state that you support him or like the post and I'll add you to the supporter's list!

Supporter's List:
1. TheBeastHimself
2. GoodGrief741

3. Frizz
4. Peridorito
5. TheCJBrine
6. Nikes
7. Zack E.
8. NathanD
9. DeKu Skrub
10. ShotoStar

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Duster has so many tools at his disposal, plus the potential for a solely kick-based moveset (how many characters can claim such uniqueness?). And it’d be cool to have an ugly, limping, bad-breathed character like Duster in Smash, just like it was refreshing to have him be a protagonist in Mother 3. So I absolutely support him.

I hope he at least becomes an Assist Trophy, there’s so much he could do.

TheBeastHimself

Exactly, on top of his diverse moveset Duster can also have that even more unique kick movset. That's what I love about this character, all of the potential.

TheBeastHimself

"Tonda Gossa"

Who is Duster?

That is a very good question! Duster is one of Lucas's party members in the RPG MOTHER 3. Like Lucas, Duster is a resident of Tazmily Village and was trained by his father Wess to become a master thief ever since he was a child. With his signature limp and thief tools, Duster accompanied Lucas and friends on a journey to take down the Pigmask Army, and proved to be one of the most unique and resourceful fighters in the MOTHER series.

What Makes Duster a Unique Fighter?
There is a lot that makes Duster unique in comparison to the rest of the MOTHER universe. For one, he isn't a PSI/PK user like the majority of MOTHER protagonists. But what makes him stand out from other non PSI users are his thief tools, and surprisingly, his ability to kick opponents even though he is handicapped. Duster isn't like Lloyd or Jeff who both use rockets and other machinery in combat, he has a completely different fighting style which could make him one of the most diverse fighters in Smash. Let's go over his abilities in MOTHER 3 and discuss how they could translate into a moveset.

Thief Tools:
  1. Wall Staples - The Wall Staples are Duster's signature technique. Outside of battle, Duster uses his Wall Staples to help Lucas and friends climb vertical inclines, while in battle, they can be used to temporarily paralyze enemies by pinning them down. In Smash, I could totally see Duster being able to create ladders using his Wall Staples, and maybe he could fire them off at opponents to pin them down as a unique grab. Either way, there is a lot of potential and creativity for the Wall Staples and their implementation in Smash.
  2. Siren Beetle - The Siren Beetle is a beetle that emits a loud noise and causes enemies to cover their ears. I could see the Siren Beetle being used as a special that may deal little damage, but the kicker (no pun intended) is that it could stun enemies for a short time like Ness's PK Fire. I don't really have the most creative mind out there but I'm sure there could be fun ways to implement this move into Smash.
  3. Hypno Pendulum - The Hypno Pendulum puts enemies to sleep. There aren't too many characters in Smash who have the ability to make enemies sleep besides Jigglypuff. Like the Siren Beetle, this could be another move to leave enemies susceptible to attacks and combos in Smash. Also, in MOTHER 3, the Hypno Pendulum is used to hear enemies' heartbeats. When you attack at the same time an enemy's heart beats, you could pull off multi-hit combos. This attack system unique to MOTHER 3 would be pretty cool to see in Smash, though I'm not sure how well it could be implemented.
  4. Smoke Bomb - In MOTHER 3, the Smoke Bomb causes enemies to cry, making them unable to attack. Instead of giving Duster yet another way to stun enemies, the Smoke Bomb could instead be used to, well, create smoke and help camouflage Duster so he could escape sticky situations unscathed.
  5. Scary Mask - The Scary Mask lowers an enemies' offense by 20%. I'm not entirely sure how this could be used in Smash, but Sakurai always has tricks up his sleeve. Or maybe this move could just be left out, who knows.
  6. Tickle Stick - The opposite of the Scary Mask, the Tickle Stick lowers an enemies' defense by 20%. I could see Duster using the Tickle Stick offensively, perhaps as a weapon in his smash attacks or tilts. (See Scary Mask explanation).
  7. Rope Snake - Yes, in Smash Lucas uses Duster's R0pe Snake. But that doesn't necessarily deconfirm Duster! In MOTHER 3, Duster uses his Rope Snake to swing across ledges. Also, Duster can latch his Rope Snake on a flying projectile to hang onto it (he used this twice in MOTHER 3 with Lucas and friends). The Rope Snake is an excellent choice for Duster's recover. Like in MOTHER 3, his Smash recovery could involve Rope Snake latching onto a bird cage full of birds and then soaring through the air. Rope Snake could also be used offensively in other attacks like Duster's tilts.
Duster has plenty of tools at his disposal to make him a very diverse and unique fighter in Smash. Not only would he be representing the non PSI users of the MOTHER series, but the more unique side of the non PSI users (since Lloyd and Jeff are almost identical in fighting style). There is so much potential waiting to be explored in this character.

Arguments Against Duster
1. There's no chance of another MOTHER 3 character, it hasn't even been released outside of Japan!

All I have to say is look at Lucas. He made it in, right? Lucas is a Japanese exclusive character outside of Smash. Look at Marth and Roy in Melee. They became super popular characters in the Smash community and Nintendo decided to release Fire Emblem outside of Japan. Just because MOTHER 3 was not released in America means absolutely nothing when it comes to who gets into Smash. Practically ANY video game character is legible for a spot in Smash Bros. If anything, someone like Cloud would have less of chance of joining the roster since he never even appeared on a Nintendo console. But look, he's in Smash now! So I don't really believe this argument holds up too well.

2. There are so many better options than Duster for a MOTHER representative! Ninten, Porky, Kumatora, Paula, Poo, Jeff, Giygas!

Do you notice a common trend among popular MOTHER requests? If you look closely... real close, you'll notice that they are all PSI users (besides Jeff who's already a deconfirmed assist). Characters like Ninten, Ana, Paula, Poo, and Kumatora are all very popular in the MOTHER community, but Ness and Lucas pretty much have them covered in terms of moves. As for other MOTHER characters, Teddy is basically another macho swordsman (don't have too many of those, wink) and Lloyd would play almost the same way as Jeff. And there's no way Lloyd would get in before Jeff does. Porky and Giygas are both the primary antagonists of the MOTHER series and could have pretty unique movesets. They're both PSI users but I could see there being more to their characters in Smash.

However, what separates Duster from all of the options for MOTHER representation is his uniqueness. I mean there really is no other character in the series quite like Duster. He visually looks different, he fights differently with so many diverse attacks, and overall has a lot of depth and personality that couldn't be captured from any other character. Yes, Porky and Giygas would be amazing and probably do have a better overall chance, but something about Duster is just so special and his inclusion in Smash would represent a whole 'nother side of the MOTHER universe.

3. Duster should just be another assist trophy like Jeff. Plain and simple.

This is probably one of the strongest arguments against Duster. If you notice in Ness's new final smash, he is accompanied by Paula and Poo while the last party member (Jeff) is represented as an assist trophy. In Lucas's new final smash, he is accompanied by Kumatora and Boney, while Duster is... NOWHERE? (Again, no pun intended). Unless they haven't revealed him as an assist trophy yet, Duster has yet to make his appearance in Smash Bros Ultimate. In my opinion, if Duster really was an assist trophy, they would have shown him when they were showing off Jeff and the new final Smashes. Why would they just awkwardly reveal him at a completely random time when MOTHER and assist trophies were given a specific focus at E3? This could mean that Duster might not show up period, but it could also indicate that there is more in store for him. Could Duster end up being another assist trophy? Sure. But that would be such a waste of potential.

4. Duster already has representation in Smash!

I guess so. Lucas has Duster's Rope Snake and a Duster alt skin. BUT, Princess Peach had a Daisy alt skin and now Daisy is in the game as an echo fighter! Also, Kirby has a Meta Knight alt and he's an original fighter! So this argument does not really hold up at all.

Closing Statement & Supporter's List
As a Smash Bros fighter, Duster has so much potential when compared to other characters from the MOTHER series. Although he's not the most popular or most well known character, his uniqueness cannot be denied. Duster would definitely stand out amongst the 65-70 characters in the new game and all of his potential should not be shafted for a mere assist trophy. Nintendo, please give us one of the most unique protagonists from the MOTHER series! If you would like to support Duster for Smash, just simply state that you support him and I'll add you to the supporter's list!

Supporter's List:
1. GoodGrief741
2. Frizz
3. Peridorito

TheBeastHimself

He could be an assist, but I'm hoping something about him will make him unique enough to be a fighter.

TheBeastHimself

I know this may not be much, but Duster is a spirit! I'm just glad that he wasn't forgotten in the end and that the Mother series is receiving more representation! :grin:

duster.PNG

D

Deleted member

Duster is awesome, he was originally my second most wanted character, and then it was Masked Man, and now it is Ninten :) I am really happy to see that he is represented, I feared the only representation he would receive was the rope snake and Lucas having an alt based on him. However, Ana, Loid, Teddy, Eve, Dungeon Man, Kumatora, Hinawa, and Duster are all spirits, meaning that the Mother series is receiving a lot of representation, next year is the 30th anniversary of the Mother series, making a Mother rep more likely as DLC!

Last edited by a moderator:

NathanD

Smash Rookie
I think Duster represents something really special with his disability and how people viewed him in the game. Add in the awesome potential for his kit. Get the whole gang in for a jam sesh attack for the final smash. It would be the most emotionally charged dlc fighter for me.

D

Deleted member

I think Duster represents something really special with his disability and how people viewed him in the game. Add in the awesome potential for his kit. Get the whole gang in for a jam sesh attack for the final smash. It would be the most emotionally charged dlc fighter for me.
Yeah, Ninten and Duster are my favorite Mother characters :)

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
He's a friggin BA mofo who can kick super fast despite having a limp. Also, y'know, thief tools.

Hey, a boy can dream.

After you use up special, rope snake should get depressed and become unusable for the rest of the stock

D

Deleted member

Wait this exists?! How come nobody told me? I support my boy with all my heart!

TheBeastHimself

I'm glad to see fellow Duster supporters! He's definitely one of my favorite characters from the Mother universe, and I'm a bit disappointed he didn't show up as an AT this time around. Oh well, at least we got a spirit!

Realistically speaking, I don't think Duster is the most likely character we could get in Smash. However, when has that stopped anyone from dreaming? There's lots of Mother characters that I will continue to support no matter what, and Duster is one of them.

ShinyRedUmbreon

Smash Rookie
I’ll gladly support this! Duster is clearly one of the most original characters in the Mother series!

D

Deleted member

I just imagined numerous potential Duster alts. Since Ness has a Fuel alt, any Mother character could have an alt from characters in the other two games.

For instance, I like the idea of Duster having a Mani Mani alt (I don't know why this one came to mind lol).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I just imagined numerous potential Duster alts. Since Ness has a Fuel alt, any Mother character could have an alt from characters in the other two games.

For instance, I like the idea of Duster having a Mani Mani alt (I don't know why this one came to mind lol).
I'd like a Monotoli alt, a Lier X. Agerate alt and a Slot Brothers alt.

These are really random but I think they all have moustaches.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Hey, I'd like to join in too.

As cool as it would be to have all the three main Mother protagonists (or hell, just to have another rep from the series), I personally would prefer a more unique character from Earthbound this time.
I don't exactly know everything about Mother 3, so at first I thought Flint would be the perfect choice for that role, but then you told me that Duster would be way more fitting since he is more relevant to the story and has more interesting abilities at his disposal.
So yeah, if that's the case than he definitely has my support too.

But don't expect that many replies from me, until I get the chance to try out Mother 3.

TheBeastHimself

I feel like no matter what Mother rep we get (if we do get one), there's a wide variety of characters to represent through alts. Ness and Lucas do a great job representing the characters in their games, so who knows what other characters Duster could represent. I'd say a Kumatora would be great, maybe even another one based off Fassad. Oh, and imagine how great it would be defeating your opponents with this outfit as an alt:

Hey, I'd like to join in too.

As cool as it would be to have all the three main Mother protagonists (or hell, just to have another rep from the series), I personally would prefer a more unique character from Earthbound this time.
I don't exactly know everything about Mother 3, so at first I thought Flint would be the perfect choice for that role, but then you told me that Duster would be way more fitting since he is more relevant to the story and has more interesting abilities at his disposal.
So yeah, if that's the case than he definitely has my support too.

But don't expect that many replies from me, until I get the chance to try out Mother 3.
Duster definitely has the more unique arsenal of abilities when compared to Flint. His Thief Tools practically write the move-set for him. The most Flint can really do is just slam his opponents and readjust his cowboy hat...

D

Deleted member

The cool thing with Duster is that, since he's a party member and Mother 3 is already represented in Ultimate, Duster could come with any Mother 3 stage that doesn't have to represent the entire game the best. For instance, he could come with Osohe Castle. He could come with Club Titiboo, and it changes midway to the Attic portion of the club, with the insects, drums, and guitars (heck, they could even add in extra music notes or pizzaz if you accidentally (or intentionally lol) bump into the instruments). He could come with Thunder Tower with the stage split into the area before you fight the extra beefy Pigmask Colonel, the area with all the Screwlooses, Master Porky's room, the area with Mr. Genetor (kept thinking this said "Mr. Generator" for the longest time lmao), and, of course, the top, with banana peels scattered everywhere.

I just love all these options when you don't have to make a tough decision over which stage would represent the game the best.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Any of you have some ideas on what Duster's Final Smash could be?
Or his stage entrance?

D

Deleted member

Any of you have some ideas on what Duster's Final Smash could be?
Or his stage entrance?
I think Duster's final smash could be him and Wess throwing thunder bombs, kicks, secret thief art techniques, and dirty socks all around the stage. For a stage entrance, Duster has this spin in Mother 3 that he does every time right before he puts wall staples on a wall, so I could see him using it for an entrance. He could also appear via smoke from smoke bomb.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I support. They could do a Smash remix of Mind of a Thief, and include more music from the Mother/EarthBound series, including Mother 3. Both originals and new remixes.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I can't believe I never came in here before. I support. It's weird how Duster is the only Mother 3 party member to not be in Lucas' Final Smash and not have a 3D model. I theorized Duster was going to be an Assist Trophy during base game because of his absence from Lucas' Final Smash, but I was wrong. I wish I wasn't though as Duster being Assist Trophy would be better than him just being a Spirit.

Top Bottom