No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
- Mar 15, 2018
- New York
Who is Duster?
Who is Duster?
That is a very good question! Duster is one of Lucas's party members in the RPG MOTHER 3. Like Lucas, Duster is a resident of Tazmily Village and was trained by his father Wess to become a master thief ever since he was a child. With his signature limp and thief tools, Duster accompanied Lucas and friends on a journey to take down the Pigmask Army, and proved to be one of the most unique and resourceful fighters in the MOTHER series.
What Makes Duster a Unique Fighter?There is a lot that makes Duster unique in comparison to the rest of the MOTHER universe. For one, he isn't a PSI/PK user like the majority of MOTHER protagonists. But what makes him stand out from other non PSI users are his thief tools, and surprisingly, his ability to kick opponents even though he is handicapped. Duster isn't like Lloyd or Jeff who both use rockets and other machinery in combat, he has a completely different fighting style which could make him one of the most diverse fighters in Smash. Let's go over his abilities in MOTHER 3 and discuss how they could translate into a moveset.
- Wall Staples - The Wall Staples are Duster's signature technique. Outside of battle, Duster uses his Wall Staples to help Lucas and friends climb vertical inclines, while in battle, they can be used to temporarily paralyze enemies by pinning them down. In Smash, I could totally see Duster being able to create ladders using his Wall Staples, and maybe he could fire them off at opponents to pin them down as a unique grab. Either way, there is a lot of potential and creativity for the Wall Staples and their implementation in Smash.
- Siren Beetle - The Siren Beetle is a beetle that emits a loud noise and causes enemies to cover their ears. I could see the Siren Beetle being used as a special that may deal little damage, but the kicker (no pun intended) is that it could stun enemies for a short time like Ness's PK Fire. I don't really have the most creative mind out there but I'm sure there could be fun ways to implement this move into Smash.
- Hypno Pendulum - The Hypno Pendulum puts enemies to sleep. There aren't too many characters in Smash who have the ability to make enemies sleep besides Jigglypuff. Like the Siren Beetle, this could be another move to leave enemies susceptible to attacks and combos in Smash. Also, in MOTHER 3, the Hypno Pendulum is used to hear enemies' heartbeats. When you attack at the same time an enemy's heart beats, you could pull off multi-hit combos. This attack system unique to MOTHER 3 would be pretty cool to see in Smash, though I'm not sure how well it could be implemented.
- Smoke Bomb - In MOTHER 3, the Smoke Bomb causes enemies to cry, making them unable to attack. Instead of giving Duster yet another way to stun enemies, the Smoke Bomb could instead be used to, well, create smoke and help camouflage Duster so he could escape sticky situations unscathed.
- Scary Mask - The Scary Mask lowers an enemies' offense by 20%. I'm not entirely sure how this could be used in Smash, but Sakurai always has tricks up his sleeve. Or maybe this move could just be left out, who knows.
- Tickle Stick - The opposite of the Scary Mask, the Tickle Stick lowers an enemies' defense by 20%. I could see Duster using the Tickle Stick offensively, perhaps as a weapon in his smash attacks or tilts. (See Scary Mask explanation).
- Rope Snake - Yes, in Smash Lucas uses Duster's R0pe Snake. But that doesn't necessarily deconfirm Duster! In MOTHER 3, Duster uses his Rope Snake to swing across ledges. Also, Duster can latch his Rope Snake on a flying projectile to hang onto it (he used this twice in MOTHER 3 with Lucas and friends). The Rope Snake is an excellent choice for Duster's recover. Like in MOTHER 3, his Smash recovery could involve Rope Snake latching onto a bird cage full of birds and then soaring through the air. Rope Snake could also be used offensively in other attacks like Duster's tilts.
Arguments Against Duster1. There's no chance of another MOTHER 3 character, it hasn't even been released outside of Japan!
All I have to say is look at Lucas. He made it in, right? Lucas is a Japanese exclusive character outside of Smash. Look at Marth and Roy in Melee. They became super popular characters in the Smash community and Nintendo decided to release Fire Emblem outside of Japan. Just because MOTHER 3 was not released in America means absolutely nothing when it comes to who gets into Smash. Practically ANY video game character is legible for a spot in Smash Bros. If anything, someone like Cloud would have less of chance of joining the roster since he never even appeared on a Nintendo console. But look, he's in Smash now! So I don't really believe this argument holds up too well.
2. There are so many better options than Duster for a MOTHER representative! Ninten, Porky, Kumatora, Paula, Poo, Jeff, Giygas!
Do you notice a common trend among popular MOTHER requests? If you look closely... real close, you'll notice that they are all PSI users (besides Jeff who's already a deconfirmed assist). Characters like Ninten, Ana, Paula, Poo, and Kumatora are all very popular in the MOTHER community, but Ness and Lucas pretty much have them covered in terms of moves. As for other MOTHER characters, Teddy is basically another macho swordsman (don't have too many of those, wink) and Lloyd would play almost the same way as Jeff. And there's no way Lloyd would get in before Jeff does. Porky and Giygas are both the primary antagonists of the MOTHER series and could have pretty unique movesets. They're both PSI users but I could see there being more to their characters in Smash.
However, what separates Duster from all of the options for MOTHER representation is his uniqueness. I mean there really is no other character in the series quite like Duster. He visually looks different, he fights differently with so many diverse attacks, and overall has a lot of depth and personality that couldn't be captured from any other character. Yes, Porky and Giygas would be amazing and probably do have a better overall chance, but something about Duster is just so special and his inclusion in Smash would represent a whole 'nother side of the MOTHER universe.
3. Duster should just be another assist trophy like Jeff. Plain and simple.
This is probably one of the strongest arguments against Duster. If you notice in Ness's new final smash, he is accompanied by Paula and Poo while the last party member (Jeff) is represented as an assist trophy. In Lucas's new final smash, he is accompanied by Kumatora and Boney, while Duster is... NOWHERE? (Again, no pun intended). Unless they haven't revealed him as an assist trophy yet, Duster has yet to make his appearance in Smash Bros Ultimate. In my opinion, if Duster really was an assist trophy, they would have shown him when they were showing off Jeff and the new final Smashes. Why would they just awkwardly reveal him at a completely random time when MOTHER and assist trophies were given a specific focus at E3? This could mean that Duster might not show up period, but it could also indicate that there is more in store for him. Could Duster end up being another assist trophy? Sure. But that would be such a waste of potential.
4. Duster already has representation in Smash!
I guess so. Lucas has Duster's Rope Snake and a Duster alt skin. BUT, Princess Peach had a Daisy alt skin and now Daisy is in the game as an echo fighter! Also, Kirby has a Meta Knight alt and he's an original fighter! So this argument does not really hold up at all.
Closing Statement & Supporter's ListAs a Smash Bros fighter, Duster has so much potential when compared to other characters from the MOTHER series. Although he's not the most popular or most well known character, his uniqueness cannot be denied. Duster would definitely stand out amongst the 65-70 characters in the new game and all of his potential should not be shafted for a mere assist trophy. Nintendo, please give us one of the most unique protagonists from the MOTHER series! If you would like to support Duster for Smash, just simply state that you support him or like the post and I'll add you to the supporter's list!
7. Zack E.
9. DeKu Skrub