• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dungeons & Dragons

Skler

Smash Master
Yoshi and shy guy are so bright and colorful.

Also, the dice in the top right look pretty awesome. The first dice I got were the starter set dice, and they look like crayola colors.

On a side note, maptools actually isn't that tough to understand. The super fancy features are a little difficult (line of sight/fog of war, mostly), but the dice roller and actual play are pretty simple.

Sensai

Smash Master
Well, we should try it out, at least try to get a connection going. Worst case scenario, we can't...and then we're exactly where we are now.

Also, Mic, those figurines are awesome. Color me jealous.

On the subject of dice, where do you guys get your's?

Skler

Smash Master
I got mine from www.rpgshop.com, ordered one of their "pound o dice" bags and got 7 full sets (only one matching) + an insane amount of D6, D12 and D10s. I even got some of those crazy D4s that aren't triangles! I don't use them because they frighten me, but I've got them! There was even a golf D6 included, with things like "200 yrd drive" and "on the green" written on it.

I'll never need to buy dice for anything ever again.

Also, when should we try out a connection for maptools? I'd be down for whenever since I've got to do a lot of work this weekend.

Sensai

Smash Master
I dunno. I suppose I'm good with whenever. Do you perhaps have Steam? I'm seldom on this site and even less on AIM or anything like that.

Pretty much always on Steam.

Sensai

Smash Master
SUCCESS!

We have figured out MapTools to the extent that we could easily run a session on it.

With that in mind...anyone interested?

Skler

Smash Master
I'm interested!

I think we should have sessions one weeknight each week. Something like Wednesdays at 8:00 pm est.

Spife

Smash Master
Interested as long as I can play a drow rogue who dual wields thanx. Otherwise...meh.

I need to look up 4e rules too, I'm use to NWN and all.

Skler

Smash Master
Sensai, we need to see if you can connect to the server again now that I downloaded all the fancy tokens and whatnot. We should try and do that today/tomorrow. This way we'll know if people who want to join in will need to DL the fancy tokens or not.

Edit: It's D&D!

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Skler: Sure. I'm up for playing later today...probably after 7 or so. I'll get on AIM when I'm up for it.

@ Spife: NWN is 3.5, if I recall correctly. 4E has changed things quite a bit.

Spife

Smash Master
I thought NWN was 3rd edition but yeah 3.5 sounds right. I was going to research some stuff and all. I also have a fetish for dual wielding rogues of the drow variety.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Spife: Actually, it may be. I may be thinking of NWN2. Sorry 'bout that.

And you can dual wield as a Rogue...it just doesn't really add much IIRC. I think you need a few feats for it to do anything besides be flavor, but I'm not sure. Don't quote me on that.

Spife

Smash Master
@ Spife: Actually, it may be. I may be thinking of NWN2. Sorry 'bout that.

And you can dual wield as a Rogue...it just doesn't really add much IIRC. I think you need a few feats for it to do anything besides be flavor, but I'm not sure. Don't quote me on that.
Again with the NWN knowlege, You can at level one but without...ambidexterity and two weapon fighting increases your ab by like, 4/10.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Spife: Jeah...all that AB and stuff is completely gone in 4E (which is what I was talking about earlier, if there was any confusion). Characters only get one attack per round (except in certain cases).

Spife

Smash Master
@ Spife: Jeah...all that AB and stuff is completely gone in 4E (which is what I was talking about earlier, if there was any confusion). Characters only get one attack per round (except in certain cases).
*insert big frownyface here* I liekd all that stuff
There's a lot to learn

Skler

Smash Master
The ranger is a lot better at dual wielding than the rouge, the rouge can get some bonuses for it but the ranger can get multiple attacks for doing it.

You could multiclass to get some dual strike powers + the ranger's damage bonus thing or multiclass to get sneak attack damage + some rougeish stuff. They're both dexterity based so it all works out pretty well no matter which way you slice it.

Spife

Smash Master
The ranger is a lot better at dual wielding than the rouge, the rouge can get some bonuses for it but the ranger can get multiple attacks for doing it.

You could multiclass to get some dual strike powers + the ranger's damage bonus thing or multiclass to get sneak attack damage + some rougeish stuff. They're both dexterity based so it all works out pretty well no matter which way you slice it.
Cannon wise, Spife isn't makeup or a ranger (lol rogue not rouge).

Yeah the ranger was better in NWN too but no harm done. The drow (tbh) wasn't good, or at least on a server I played on, -3 to con right off the bat and no good bonuses made me a sad Spife. I had to go grey elf or some nonsense like that.

Skler

Smash Master
Rogues are so sneaky I can't spell their class name right. It doesn't help that rogues wear rouge to disguise themselves.

Drow get a +2 to dex and +2 to cha (I think) in 4e, so they're beastly rogues and rangers.

What class you start with depends on what you want to focus on, rangers are stab happy with two weapons at once whereas a rogue would throw daggers and stab really hard with just one weapon at a time. You'd still have two weapons, one would just be more for defense and throwing.

Sensai we still need to figure out if the server will work!

Sensai

Smash Master
Oh. Right. ****...totally forgot about getting on AIM.

I'll do that tonight. Sometime. Dunno when. Look for me.

[Edit:]

Yo. Got online for a few minutes to see if you were up for it Skler, but it doesn't seem like you're on. I need to go write a paper, so I'm signing off.

Sometime this weekend?

Skler

Smash Master
This weekend I'll be on a bit, since I've got a bunch of work to do again.

In other news one of the co-creators of D&D, Dave Arneson, died Tuesday. :(

Skler

Smash Master
Then how about we meet up tonight!

At 7:00 or something. I'll be on around 7-8, then again from 9-??? (because you know it's a party when it ends at ???).

Skler

Smash Master
It's a great game, though it depends a lot on the people you're playing with.

If you want to learn the rules we should try and get a game up and running soon. I'm still not good at maptools, but I know enough about it to move things around/make terrain.

The rules are pretty simple, a one-shot adventure should be enough to learn the essential rules. We're getting a group together on smashboards if you're interested (just in case you didn't see all our talk about it on the last page).

Edit: In case I sounded experienced, I've never played any table top RPGs before. Other people know more about things than I do.

Sensai

Smash Master
I will be getting online tonight as soon as I get home (~30 minutes). I'm not making promises that I'll be at my computer the whole time, but I'll at least be on AIM so we can correspond.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Guys, back on topic or leave the thread alone. You have a PM system as well as a visitor's messaging feature for things like these.

Expect infractions if this continues.

Skler

Smash Master
Roger that.

We've figured out you don't need to download anything except maptools to be able to play, so getting a session together is very doable. Anybody who wants to play should post or something like that. We'd run a short learning adventure first just to get everyone used to maptools and the rules.

In other news, Arcane Power comes out Tuesday! I've been following its release because wizards kind of aren't as good as other classes at their job (except with dailies, Wizard dailies are the greatest).

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I'm trying to make a Prestige Class based around punching dudes in the junk. I call it the 'Groin Puncher.' However, I have extremely little experience in D&D, let along making classes, so advice would be appreciated!

Here's what I got so far:

Alignment: Chaotic any.

Level_Base Attack Bonus_Saving throws(fort/ref/will)_Specials_Unarmed Damage_AC Bonus
1_+1_+2/+2/+2_Bonus Feat,Unarmed Stike, Groin blow_1d6_+0
2_+2_+3/+3/+2_Bonus Feat_1d6_+0
3_+2_+3/+4/+2_---_1d6_+0
4_+3_+4/+5/+2_Evasion, Ki Strike_1d6
5_+4_+4/+4/+3

Groin Blow: The Groin Puncher's signature move, he drives his fist into the crotch of his enemies with great force. Does +3 against males.

Am I doing it right? Too broken? Too weak? I can't tell.

Skler

Smash Master
I have no idea Zook, but there is something similar for 4e though...

On the subject of it taking too long to learn, it depends on which edition you played I guess. It took everyone I play with an hour or two to get a good understanding of the basics. Setup doesn't really take long for us either, just whip out the laptop (I only have pdfs) and get the dice/tiles out. It probably takes less time than setting up Monopoly.

Skler

Smash Master
Arcane power came out a while ago, any thoughts on that?

Wizards got a whole lot of love in it, which is great because I love me some wizards. I want to play but stupid end of school business gets in the way of everything ever.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
My friends and I have been playing this a lot lately, and it's a blast, I tell you. I made this race right now for 3.5, but I'm not sure if it's broken. Thoughts?

Race: Peanutbutterite

History: Centuries ago, when peanut butter was first invented, a group of humans became obsessed with the new food. They devoted their lives to try to become one with peanut butter. Eventually they discovered the magic to do so and became one with peanut butter. They flourished and now live amongst the other races.

Physical description: Peanutbutterites appear to be human from afar; closer inspection reveals that they are completely mader of peanut butter. They lack bones and can assume any shape they want, but males generally stay in the shape of a male human, and females stay in the shape of a female human. Their faces are featureless, much like peanut butter, but can be sculpted to look like any face. Variations in this species include chunky and smooth peanutbutterites.

Alignment: Peanutbutterites can be of any alignment.

Lands: Peanutbutterites live in urban areas because animals eat them.

Language: All peanutbutterites speak Common, and are capable of learning most languages.

Religion: Peanutbutterites worship the diety George Washington Carver, the one who created peanut butter.

Racial Traits:
- Medium
- Base Land Speed is 20, climb speed of 20. They're sticky and have trouble moving quickly, but can climb walls.
- +2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma, +2 Strength. Peanutbutterites are high in protein and calories, but are clumsy and tend to be annoying.
- +2 racial bonus to Ride: They stick to their mounts.
- -4 penalty to Handle Animal: Animals are attracted to the Peanutbutterite's peanut butter coating and will often try to eat it.
- +2 bonus to Grapple: Peanutbutterites are sticky.
- Immune Swallow Whole: Peanutbutterites get stuck in the throat of beings, and are unable to be swallowed whole without a large glass of milk.
- As a free action, peanutbutterites are able to smear peanut butter on anything within 5 feet. Anything that is smeared with peanut butter is afflicted with Attract Animals with Peanut Butter (See below) and loses this condition by getting something to lick it off or by spending a full turn licking it off. As a full turn action, a peanutbutterites can smear a lot of peanutbutter on something. Anything that is smeared with a lot peanut butter is afflicted with Attract Animals (See below) and loses this condition by getting something to lick it off twice or spend 2 turns licking it off.
- They have Attact Animals with Peanut Butter.
- Attract Animals with Peanut Butter: Any animal that activates within 30 feet of anything with Attract Animals with Peanut Butter must make a Will save (DC 11). If the animal fails, it is overcome with the urge to eat peanut butter and charges. Once close enough, the animal makes a biting/licking attack, dealing 1d4 damage.
- Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (Other than secret languages).
- Favored Class: Any.

Top Bottom