• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DUMB - Brawl Tourney - Winona, MN - 3/29

Seanson

Smash Ace
Hello everyone. It has been a long while since Minnesota has hosted anything big, so hopefully this will jump start smashing in Minnesota. Winona, hosted at Winona State University is proud to present:

Dumb Umb Mb B
D.U.M.B.

Contents:
A. Location / Times
B. Events / Fees
C. Rules
D. Venue Info
E. Housing
F. Food
G. Parking
H. Things I need from you
I. Possible Attendees

A. Location / Times
It will be hosted on the WSU campus in the Student Union building, the Kryzsko Commons. The room we will be using is a generally big lounging area, with a little stage area, and plenty of room if things are spread out.

Enter this address into Google maps or your alternative mapping tool.
W Howard St & Huff St, Winona, Winona, Minnesota 55987, United States
10am-9pm

Use the following link to view the destination via Google Maps in satellite view to get a picture of how it will look. The parking lot is the lot to the direct southeast of the marker, and the building is the long one directly to the right of the marker on the map.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...47368,-91.6456&spn=0.003447,0.010042&t=h&z=17

To get to the area we'll be using, just park in the lot, and go in the front door of the building (will be obvious from the parking lot) and go down the stairs right after you enter. The stairs will be right in front of you. Down the stairs is the room. Hooray.

Signups ideally begin at 10am, and playing will begin around 11am. Use 10am-11am to do friendlies/get warmed up. In the hopes of amazing turnout, we will need to do singles AND doubles pools, so we would like to keep things going.

B. Events / Fees
Brawl Singles - $10 entry
Brawl Doubles - $20 entry ($10 per person)

C. Rules
Taken from a rule sheet I will post on the walls at the event. Some descriptions are to inform possible new people that I may get from a flyer on campus.

3 Stock with 8 Minute time Limit
No items
Each player may ban one stage at the beginning of each set that can not be randomed or counterpicked for the whole set
Life stealing is allowed
Friendly fire ON
Double blind picks may be called (see below for definition)
Advanced slob counter-picking (see below for definition)
Pausing may result in disqualification if not agreed to
BYOC (preferably not wiimotes, will probably have problems with connecting to previously used wiis)

What are double blind picks?
To avoid having someone counterpick your character before the first game (which is supposed to be equally fair), you may call a double blind pick before the first match. A double blind pick where you and your opponent choose characters without knowing the other person’s choice until they have made it. This can be done by one person telling a 3rd person their character choice, then his opponent chooses his character. The 3rd person now confirms the choice of the first person.

What is advanced slob counter-picking?
The loser of the match picks the stage for the next game, then the winner picks their character, then the loser picks their character. These steps must be done in that order. If the loser picks to random a stage (from the neutral stage list) neither player may pick new characters.

Allowed Stages

Neutral (are on random and may be counter-picked):
Battlefield, Final Destination , Delfino Plaza, Yoshi's Island (brawl), Battleship Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Smashville

Counter-pick (may be counter-picked only):
Mario Circuit, The Pirate Ship, Norfair, Frigate Orpheon, Pokémon Stadium 2, Castle Siege, Distant Planet, PictoChat, Hanenbow, Green Hill Zone, Jungle Japes, Rainbow Cruise, Green Greens, Brinstar, Pokémon Stadium, The Bridge of Eldin

Banned:
Luigi's Mansion, Mushroomy Kingdom, Rumble Falls, Spear Pillar, Port Town Aero Dive, WarioWare, New Pork City, The Summit, Skyworld, 75m, Mario Bros., Flat Zone 2, Shadow Moses Island, Temple, Yoshi's Island (melee), Onett, Corneria, Big Blue

D. Venue Info
The venue is a common lounging area. The video game club uses the same space for their meetings (but they aren't that great), and there is lots of room. There is about the same amount of space as FBT3, and there will be provided chairs/tables in addition to the nice lounging furniture already in there. There is a stage and a good space to put finals up onto a screen via projector.

I will be taking pictures and probably video later this week of the venue, it is pretty nice. Here are 2 pictures:
http://studentwebs.winona.edu/STKioski5385/DUMB1.JPG <- one half of the space
http://studentwebs.winona.edu/STKioski5385/DUMB2.JPG <- the other half of the space

Short Venue Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAMUotOZ9fk

E. Housing
Myself and Chexr live in the dorms on campus, and will able to house a few people each (me maybe 3-4 at the max and chexr maybe 2-3 at the max). Slayer may also able to house at his place in LaCrosse (more space than where he lives in Winona). Other than that, there aren't really any free housing options.

There are many hotels in winona, you can get a summary of them from here:

http://www.winona.edu/visit.asp

F. Food
Food will not be provided for you, but there are many options to buy it. There is (I'm guessing for now, research will be done to clarify) a subway, quiznos, taco bell, DQ, McDonalds, and burger king all within 5 minutes of driving.

There are also a few in-building stores where you can buy food, such as the Sub Generation (sub store) and the C-Store, which is pretty much like a gas station in terms of what you can buy (they also have a smoothie/ice cream thing you can buy from too, yum). Those in-building places however don't open until 5pm.

G. Parking
WSU stops ticketing after 5pm on friday and doesn't begin ticketing until monday morning, so parking on a campus lot is free. Since it is a weekend there should be spots available.

The building we're using shares a pretty big parking lot with a dorm building so going from parking to the building will be easy.

Also note there is an alternate side perking ordinance in Winona. I will also find out which days have which side of the street, if you choose to park on a side street.

H. Things I want from you
1. Recording devices
Brawl will be new, and tourney vids will be cool, so I hope some people bring some equipment to record. I don't have anything to record with. Hopefully we can get finals and such recorded. Along with recording devices, I would like someone to bring a video splitter, that would allow finals to be recorded, and played on a tv AND shot out of a projector to allow good playing on the tv but also good watching from the projector.
2. People
Bring your friends and family. Hopefully a LOT more people will be starting up brawl, and this event should draw newcomers! Winona will be putting up flyers on campus to get hopefully a bunch of people that like brawl but aren't necessarily in the scene.
3. Clean
Please use standard anti-smelling strategies. The room is big and has good circulation I think, but lets keep the place in good shape. Don't spill or break anything.
4. SETUPS
As I mentioned above, the Union has 3-4 TVs on carts we can use, but we need WIIS with everything unlocked. Since we cant just unplug a memory card and use it on another setup, everyone has to have everything unlocked on their own wii so we can use it in the tourney.

I. Possible Attendees
This list probably has little accuracy. People with (?) are guesses mostly.

Seanson
Chexr
Toasted_Slayer

SuperDoodleMan (SDM's car)
James Sparrow (SDM's car)
Fluxwolf (SDM's car)
56k (SDM's car)
Mag (SDM's car)
Amished (Amished's car)
Zeus (Amished's car)
Ulti
Lunariss (?)
Bluewolf (Bluewolf's car)(?)
Greenbunny(Bluewolf's car)(?)
Bluewolf's friend #1 (Bluewolf's car)(?)
Bluewolf's friend #2 (Bluewolf's car)(?)
Teflon (Teflon's car)
"Some river falls people" (Teflon's car)
DendyPretendy
Tunuva
Aaron

Zicore
18spikes
Cosmo!
someone else in zicore's car #1 (?)
someone else in zicore's car #2 (??)
someone else in zicore's car #3 (???)
Sync

Some people in a car from Iowa #1 (?)
Some people in a car from Iowa #2 (?)
Some people in a car from Iowa #3 (?)
Some people in a car from Iowa #4 (?)

Nebraska(????)

Ok, this looks like it should be fun. Winona is hopefully in a pretty good spot to capture all of MN, and some WI, and if IA showed up that would rock. Same goes for IL, IN, maybe the dakotas, etc. Lets make this tourney a good one.

PM me with any questions/concerns

tunuva

Smash Apprentice
I will do my best to make this

and get aaron to come with >.>

Chexr

Smash Ace
Chexr supports this thread!

Also IOWA! Get to this ****. I dont think any of us have ever played any of you. Its within easy driving distance for everyone so hopefully we can get all 3 states here at least. Think of it kind of the middle of a triangle between all the big places.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER (not really)

Yeah Aaron should most def. come to this tourney. He was excellent with Young Link in Melee and I think he should play Toon Link in Brawl. Toon Link looks like the best character in the game to me, so Aaron you can win money again! =3

E P I C

Smash Journeyman
Oh lord.. The odds of me coming is slim since Minnesota is like a 5-6 hour drive from Nebraska O.o.. If other Nebraskans wanna go I might come.. :_)..

Zicore

Smash Champion
thats like saying French Canadians are real people...

but WI, we have to show up for this ****. KSSB, TEAMSIES?

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
I'll persuade Iowa coming to this. The venue is too good to pass up plus get to meet Minnesota Smashers. :)

Seanson

Smash Ace
I think it is just the right amount of time after brawl to have a tourney, so everyone has enough time to get familiar, but where it is still pretty close to release. :)

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Yay! =]

Wow it looks like the local scene/interest is already gonna be bigger! It helps that it's in Winona >.>

Top Bottom