• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Duct Tape Productions Announces Project M Documentary "Rewrite"

Earlier this week, a trailer for the Project M documentary “Rewrite” was released by Duct Tape Productions. This documentary will focus on both the creation and development of Project M, a fan made mod of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and the competitive scene it has garnered over the past 6 years.

Duct Tape Productions is a recently formed indie film studio consisting of Alexandra “The Party” Wallace and Adrian “Blanksy” Nieto. These two are known for their work with the The Balcony tournament series, as well as their work on the “Who the Hell is…?” series and several other projects within the Project M community. The Party will be directing and editing the film, and Blanksy will be filming.

The film itself will focus mainly on the development of Project M, but the filmmakers have expressed that the competitive scene will still be a large part of the film. The film will feature several interviews with Project M developers, streamers and players, including Eric "dantarion" Sheppard, Zach “ZMan” Dicicco, Anthony “Gallo” Gallo and Weston “Westballz” Dennis. It will also feature footage from many tournaments throughout Project M’s life cycle

Due to limited funding, Duct Tape Productions has created a Gofundme campaign with a goal of $2,500. After 3 days, they have raised over $4,000, reaching their goal in just one day. They’ve also met two of their three stretch goals, so along with “Rewrite”, they will be releasing a new episode of the “Who the Hell is…?” series featuring Kyle “Switch” Carlon. The final stretch goal, a mini documentary about the east coast Project M tournament series Supernova, is set at $5,000. A sneak preview of the first fifteen minutes of the film is set to be shown at the next Big Balc tournament. While the event currently does not have a date, it is speculated to happen in May of 2018.

Duct Tape Productions have also released a production vlog, where they’ve given more details about the film, the Gofundme campaign and production.

As of now, “Rewrite” is set to release in 2018, with more details to come.

If you’d like to donate, the Gofundme can be found here.

Louis "L_Pag" Pagillo

Comments

definitely in support of this project, considering it's easily the greatest demonstration of directing a passionate community towards a truly artistic direction.

my primary concern is what happens afterward, considering development ceased specifically because the Dev team had feared a possible C&D or worse from Nintendo directly. the Melee documentary brought quite a bit of attention to the community, and it's very possible that this could have a similar effect.

Last edited:
Im surprised they only needed 2,500$ Even if its short they couldve asked for more but at least they passed the goal since then.

Looking forward to seeing this! Project M is one wonderful game, I'd love to see what the Dev Team are at these days. I'd love to see them get together and build an original game from the ground up!

Looking forward to seeing this! Project M is one wonderful game, I'd love to see what the Dev Team are at these days. I'd love to see them get together and build an original game from the ground up!
Nobody would care for it. We care about those guys for their amazing augmentation and modification of Smash Bros.

Remove them from that context and they revert to being typical programmers.

Im surprised they only needed 2,500$ Even if its short they couldve asked for more but at least they passed the goal since then.
If they aren't taking a salary, they can get a documentary done pretty cheaply, it'd mostly have to pay for airfare for a couple of them to come to Supernova 2, LTC, and Olympus 2. I know they already have some camera equipment, but hitting stretch goals will help them possibly replace it with nicer stuff, or spend more time traveling and getting interviews. I'm guessing they don't own them but I've even seen PM players let them/others borrow a DJI phantom drone for Bigger Balc and Olympus, which got some nice shots for those trailers.

Nobody would care for it. We care about those guys for their amazing augmentation and modification of Smash Bros.

Remove them from that context and they revert to being typical programmers.
Wavedash games

Last edited:
definitely in support of this project, considering it's easily the greatest demonstration of directing a passionate community towards a truly autistic direction.

my primary concern is what happens afterward, considering development ceased specifically because the Dev team had feared a possible C&D or worse from Nintendo directly. the Melee documentary brought quite a bit of attention to the community, and it's very possible that this could have a similar effect.
FTFY

So I checked the GoFundMe page and it appears that over $11,000 was raised towards this endeavor. What was the final product?

Top Bottom