• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dthrow Options/Mix-Ups

chckn

Smash Ace
What has been most effective for you?

I find Dthrow-Dsmash is consistent and use Dthrow-Uair if I anticipate they will mash out.

Any other recommendations/consistent options?

Lypion

Smash Cadet
Downthrow-uptilt is pretty fast if you try to hit them while grounded and is really hard to mash out in time. It also can kill at certain percents.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
What's the best way to punish a quick masher? I missed probably an easy KO today because I picked the wrong option. Is it really as easy as run up-up air?

Handy Man

Smash Ace
What's the best way to punish a quick masher? I missed probably an easy KO today because I picked the wrong option. Is it really as easy as run up-up air?
I like to do down throw to forward air. If they are at a high percent when buried and mash right away, you can immediately go for a full hop forward air, killing at high percents. However, if you punish this way often, the opponent may start air dodging upon escape, giving you different follow up options.

For people who stay buried as a mixup, I agree with Lypion in how effective down throw to up tilt is. It's your most reliable option in that circumstance. Following up a down throw with either down smash or a tilted forward smash is also possible. Both moves can kill earlier than up-tilt, but they are easier to escape.

Last edited:

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Even up tilt can be mashed out of pretty hard. I got a Doc to 170 online and he was consistently getting out of D-throw ----> U-Tilt.

Amity

Sadboi
Switch FC
SW-0822-7258-0511
Even up tilt can be mashed out of pretty hard. I got a Doc to 170 online and he was consistently getting out of D-throw ----> U-Tilt.
Mashed out at 170? O.o that’s insane.. I was getting salty about people mashing out at 140 ahaha

I wait for them to mash out then jump and Dair them. It’s kinda jank, but I works on lots of people I play lolol. I clearly only go for it when I 100 % know that they will mash out of it or utilt won’t kill

Last edited by a moderator:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Remember, down throw has a lot of knockback growth. Past 125%, it's more difficult to mash out of. I typically use up tilt at that point, and from 140% onward I try to land forward or down smash.

I rarely use down throw at low to mid percents because up throw deals much more damage than down throw -> up tilt.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Most of the time I go for Uthrow because it deals 19.2%; Dthrow>Utilt deals 19.8% but you have the risk of mashing. It's only at high %s like 120+I go for Dthrow>Ftilt to kill.

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
At mid percents doing a nair can work, and if they airdoge to the side or to the ground, a hard read with fsmash works for me.
A weird setup I like to do is to try to get a Dthrow while the crown is coming back to cover mash airdoge for an easy fair.
It kind of puts them into a situation like ganon flamechoke, where you wait and punish for sometimes a kill or huge percents.
on bigger characters at 90% Dthrow upsmash can work, and depending on their DI the upsmash can spike them into the stage for a free dash attack. asuming you get the correct hitboxes thats 5+13+11 percent for a grand total of 29%

Top Bottom