• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dropping in for a fight - DeMille for Smash!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I think it was Ness.
Never mind, I looked it up just to be certain, and apparently DeMille possesses Isabelle, who permanently wears a Bunny Hood. Can't imagine that kind of Spirit Battle being finished quick, especially if she's going to keep running away from you...

ShinyRedUmbreon

Smash Rookie
I got a assist trophy idea:Celemo! That one guy who made DeMille’s TV? Basically he is fixing the said TV, but it explodes and anyone nearby gets hurt.

Also I made a stage for Toy Ruins!
http://imgur.com/4yWGWxx
(Not that good btw)

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Never mind, I looked it up just to be certain, and apparently DeMille possesses Isabelle, who permanently wears a Bunny Hood. Can't imagine that kind of Spirit Battle being finished quick, especially if she's going to keep running away from you...
It actually isn't too tough - it takes place on Melee's Yoshi's Island, so you can pretty easily lure her over to the right side and throw her off!

Also, the Tomatrio spirit is against three Kirbys (one green, one red, and one yellow) on the Battefield form of Melee's Yoshi's Island, with Maxim Tomatoes appearing!

I got a assist trophy idea:Celemo! That one guy who made DeMille’s TV? Basically he is fixing the said TV, but it explodes and anyone nearby gets hurt.

Also I made a stage for Toy Ruins!
http://imgur.com/4yWGWxx
(Not that good btw)
That makes sense for an Assist Trophy, actually! Maybe you could also choose to attack him to get him off of the TV, and then throw the TV like a Bob-Omb. Fun idea!

Also, that would be an interesting stage - there aren't too many stages without a center platform or ground to fight on, so that would be a fun layout!

--

Also, AlphaDream has finally started updating their site, adding to their blog and pages! No announcements yet, but their recruitment page still has the new DeMille art. With the Bowser's Inside Story remake finished and released, I think that if the art really is hinting at a remake/sequel for Tomato Adventure, we'll hear about it soon! AlphaDream has no announced games at the moment, after all!

Last edited:

Demarlion

Smash Cadet
Alright.

I'm interested. Didn't think much of DeMille at first but now he has potential. Count me in.

StillwantStarfymorebutheywecanhavebothoneday

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Alright.

I'm interested. Didn't think much of DeMille at first but now he has potential. Count me in.

StillwantStarfymorebutheywecanhavebothoneday
Awesome, good to have you on board! I'm glad the thread managed to sway your opinion. You've been added to the list! (No worries about wanting Starfy more - we've all got our favorites!) That brings us to 16 supporters! :)

Also, I just noticed that DeMille got re-rated in the "Rate Their Chances" thread back in January. Unsurprisingly, opinions were mostly against him (though the posts were less... vicious than the first time) but hey, that's true of a lot of obscure characters. Can't be helped! ;)

Regarding AlphaDream and the possibility of a new Tomato Adventure game, they've now started hiring for a Production Assistant, and the previous three roles - including the one with the Tomato Adventure art - can still be applied for. They've clearly got some project going on... here's hoping! I do think his chances as Smash DLC rest mostly on them working on a new TA game - his best shot is getting added as promotion, similar to Corrin in Smash 4. He's definitely not the most likely, but here's hoping on that front, too!

Last edited:

Demarlion

Smash Cadet
Awesome, good to have you on board! I'm glad the thread managed to sway your opinion. You've been added to the list! (No worries about wanting Starfy more - we've all got our favorites!) That brings us to 16 supporters! :)

Also, I just noticed that DeMille got re-rated in the "Rate Their Chances" thread back in January. Unsurprisingly, opinions were mostly against him (though the posts were less... vicious than the first time) but hey, that's true of a lot of obscure characters. Can't be helped! ;)

Regarding AlphaDream and the possibility of a new Tomato Adventure game, they've now started hiring for a Production Assistant, and the previous three roles - including the one with the Tomato Adventure art - can still be applied for. They've clearly got some project going on... here's hoping! I do think his chances as Smash DLC rest mostly on them working on a new TA game - his best shot is getting added as promotion, similar to Corrin in Smash 4. He's definitely not the most likely, but here's hoping on that front, too!
Aw, thanks dude!

Yeah, obscure characters always get the "Who cares about them?" attitude from fans. But still, we can't back out.

And interesting! If they ARE making a new Tomato Adventure game, they should bring it here, alongside the first game.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
And interesting! If they ARE making a new Tomato Adventure game, they should bring it here, alongside the first game.
Yeah, agreed! It's also possible that the art could be for a remake rather than a sequel, promoting a new mode (like Bowser's Minions!) or new post-game content (similar to how Pokémon ORAS had promotional art for its post-game Delta Episode!) Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what's in store! Even if it turns out to be nothing, it's cool to see the team hasn't forgotten the game... though I definitely hope they're working on something! We'll find out whenever we hear about their next projects, I guess! :)

hposter

Smash Apprentice
I'd never heard of this little guy before this thread but he looks like he'd be an absolute joy to play. I support.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
I'd never heard of this little guy before this thread but he looks like he'd be an absolute joy to play. I support.
Awesome! I'm glad to hear you think so. :) You've been added to the list, bringing our total up to 17 supporters!

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
I'm all for obscure characters in Smash! I would love this to be a thing.

DeMille, along with Sukapon and Ayumi Tachibana are three Japan-only characters I would really want to see in Smash.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Been outta loop a bit, but a new Tomato Adventure-game? Am I hearing things right?

Welcome back to the thread! :)

A new game isn't guaranteed yet, but it's looking like there just might be one on the horizon! Basically, AlphaDream started recruiting graphic designers last year, alongside two other positions. (One more has been added since then!) This wasn't too interesting in itself, except that the icon they used for the graphic designer recruitment link was this:

And this is, of course, art of DeMille and Pasaran, both with brand-new designs and drawn in a brand-new art style! DeMille, for example, is wearing a dress shirt with a pink tie, rather than the blue shirt with white sleeves he had in the original. Pasaran's also got black leggings now. And the whole thing is drawn in a new style - besides looking more advanced than the original's art, they've also changed the designs of the characters overall - most notably, their feet are far smaller than before.

Additionally, there was an interview done with AlphaDream a while ago where they said they'd be interested in working on original games again (as in their own original concepts rather than only Mario and Luigi games), indicating that it isn't out of the question! So while there's no official announcement yet, it does seem like a new one may be in the works! Their recruitment pages say they're working on Switch projects, and they currently have no known projects in the works.

I'm all for obscure characters in Smash! I would love this to be a thing.

DeMille, along with Sukapon and Ayumi Tachibana are three Japan-only characters I would really want to see in Smash.
Thanks for the support! :) I like a lot of obscure characters too, so I know how you feel. I'm glad DeMille's one of the ones you want to see!

Your support brings our total up to 18 supporters!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
A new game isn't guaranteed yet, but it's looking like there just might be one on the horizon! Basically, AlphaDream started recruiting graphic designers last year, alongside two other positions. (One more has been added since then!) This wasn't too interesting in itself, except that the icon they used for the graphic designer recruitment link was this:

And this is, of course, art of DeMille and Pasaran, both with brand-new designs and drawn in a brand-new art style! DeMille, for example, is wearing a dress shirt with a pink tie, rather than the blue shirt with white sleeves he had in the original. Pasaran's also got black leggings now. And the whole thing is drawn in a new style - besides looking more advanced than the original's art, they've also changed the designs of the characters overall - most notably, their feet are far smaller than before.
Can't believe I'm seeing this all with my own eyes!

Could this be...?

Additionally, there was an interview done with AlphaDream a while ago where they said they'd be interested in working on original games again (as in their own original concepts rather than only Mario and Luigi games), indicating that it isn't out of the question! So while there's no official announcement yet, it does seem like a new one may be in the works! Their recruitment pages say they're working on Switch projects, and they currently have no known projects in the works.
So this, combined with the lack of new projects for Mario & Luigi-series for last years now and explaining the remakes to fill in that gap...

Well well well. I'm completely convinced now.

Yet, the implications of all this just sounds... highly astonishing.

Because, if this actually comes to be true, it'd have Demille and his gang do something very unheard of for their series of such obscurity.

As in, they would essentially become - and I never thought I'd have to say this - the very first lesser-known Nintendo-characters to break through the C-List Hiatus Ceiling without any outside marketing support... such as Smash Bros. That's just incredibly rare today.

For a reminder, most of the obscure Nintendo IPs can't exactly claim for this as a lot of them kicked the bucket after getting one more game, since being featured in Brawl as Assists: such as Starfy, Isaac, or Saki Amamiya.

In contrast, Tomato Adventure getting a possible revival after being practically underground for years upon years, already having been Japan-only on top before... that sounds like an insane miracle enough to rival likes of ever-going dream of Mother 3's localization - and says quite a lot about AlphaDream as a company. :colorful:

Heck, it'd be crazy to imagine how Kid Icarus and F-Zero are still given cold shoulders on any interests to new games, while AlphaDream's just kicking it away with working on a new installment of the very first IP they did for Nintendo, even long after having become the "Mario&Luigi Company".

Woah. I really hope this becomes a reality.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Could this be...?

So this, combined with the lack of new projects for Mario & Luigi-series for last years now and explaining the remakes to fill in that gap...

Because, if this actually comes to be true, it'd have Demille and his gang do something very unheard of for their series of such obscurity.

As in, they would essentially become - and I never thought I'd have to say this - the very first lesser-known Nintendo-characters to break through the C-List Hiatus Ceiling without any outside marketing support... such as Smash Bros. That's just incredibly rare today.

For a reminder, most of the obscure Nintendo IPs can't exactly claim for this as a lot of them kicked the bucket after getting one more game, since being featured in Brawl as Assists: such as Starfy, Isaac, or Saki Amamiya.

In contrast, Tomato Adventure getting a possible revival after being practically underground for years upon years, already having been Japan-only on top before... that sounds like an insane miracle enough to rival likes of ever-going dream of Mother 3's localization - and says quite a lot about AlphaDream as a company. :colorful:

Heck, it'd be crazy to imagine how Kid Icarus and F-Zero are still given cold shoulders on any interests to new games, while AlphaDream's just kicking it away with working on a new installment of the very first IP they did for Nintendo, even long after having become the "Mario&Luigi Company".

It would really be unprecedented for a series like Tomato Adventure to make a comeback, in whatever shape or form.

Like, even as a budget, Japan-only, digital-only title, it would still be majorly surprising. The closest thing I can imagine was Murasame Castle's port being released worldwide, and that's not a new game.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman

Could this be...?

Yeah, I really hope it ends up happening, too! Even a remake of the original game would be fantastic - it came out in 2002, so beyond the Wii U Virtual Console release, it's been a long time since the game last saw the light of day. It also gives me a bit of hope for DeMille joining Smash - if he gets a new game, and it's been in the works for a while now, he could realistically have been in the talks for DLC! It'd be awesome all around. :) Maybe he won't join regardless, but it's fun to think about!

It would really be unprecedented for a series like Tomato Adventure to make a comeback, in whatever shape or form.

Like, even as a budget, Japan-only, digital-only title, it would still be majorly surprising. The closest thing I can imagine was Murasame Castle's port being released worldwide, and that's not a new game.
Yeah, I agree! But if AlphaDream were to return to their old IP, their options are only between Tomato Adventure and Koto Battle. So it's not impossible!

Last edited:

Demarlion

Smash Cadet
Welp, I have to say I'm adding DeMille to my fighting game project on my DeviantArt, where Me and Friend make normal fighting game moveset for Nintendo Stars.

Also I have watched Tomato Adventure. DeMille's been bumped up to my second most wanted Smash Newcomer (And I have 10 newcomers I want)

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Welp, I have to say I'm adding DeMille to my fighting game project on my DeviantArt, where Me and Friend make normal fighting game moveset for Nintendo Stars.

Also I have watched Tomato Adventure. DeMille's been bumped up to my second most wanted Smash Newcomer (And I have 10 newcomers I want)
Awesome! If he’s beating out 8 of your 9 other picks, then that’s pretty fantastic! I’m glad to hear it!

Be sure to let us know when you add DeMille to your project! I’d love to see it, and I’d be happy to give a link to it in the opening post. :)

Last edited:

Demarlion

Smash Cadet
I need a little help. I'm making a Death Battle Bio/Respect Thread for DeMille, but I can't figure out the names of all the Gimmicks because I can't read Japanese. A little help would be nice!

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
I need a little help. I'm making a Death Battle Bio/Respect Thread for DeMille, but I can't figure out the names of all the Gimmicks because I can't read Japanese. A little help would be nice!
Sure, I'd be happy to help! Do you have specific ones you need names for, or do you need a full list?

--

Also, I've got some updates to share!

First up is something I thought was really cool. Forest of Illusion, a preservation site dedicated to Nintendo, recently got their hands on a bunch of unreleased iQue GBA games! If you're unfamiliar with iQue, it's essentially the Chinese name for many Nintendo consoles - for example, the Nintendo 64 was released there as the "iQue Player", the DSi was released as the "iQue DSi", and so on.

But the GBA never released there. So these are official Chinese versions of a handful of GBA games that never ended up getting released! Among them? An official Chinese localization of Tomato Adventure, available right here! I haven't played around with it yet, but it's so cool to me that this got released!

Second, AlphaDream has already stopped hiring for Production Assistants! That one didn't stay up long, but the other three are still there, as they have been for almost a year. Neat!

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Is there still no way to enjoy this game in English? Even if it's just a script. I really want to play Demille's game but I have no ability to understand Japanese.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Is there still no way to enjoy this game in English? Even if it's just a script. I really want to play Demille's game but I have no ability to understand Japanese.
I think Clyde Mandelin did a translated Let's Play, but there's no way to actually play it translated, I think.

Demarlion

Smash Cadet
Also, I would like it if the Gimmicks were listed down in the order DeMille acquired them, to avoid confusion.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
A full list! Mainly only all of DeMille's gimmicks.
Also, I would like it if the Gimmicks were listed down in the order DeMille acquired them, to avoid confusion.
Right then, here you go! DeMille's Gimmicks, in order of when they're obtained. Japanese names are included so you can reference them if you're looking at a list or something:

Gear Yo-yo (はぐるまヨーヨー)
Magnet Hand (マグネハンド)
Angry Volcano (いかりかざん)
K-Woof Woof (Kワンワン)
Snea-Car (スニー・カー)
Chomper (カミカミ)
Tail Wag (しっぽブンブン)
Banana Snowboard (バナナスノボー)
Turtle Shell Glove (きっこうグローブ)

In addition, there are a selection of optional Gimmicks you can obtain from a character named Kaizo - he becomes available once you enter the third Super Kid's town. You don't need to get all of them, or even any of them, but they're given to you in a specific order if you choose to do so. Here are those optional ones! I don't remember with 100% certainty the order they come in, but I've put them in the order I THINK you get them in.

Linear Glove (リニアグローブ)
King Meow (ニャンかんおう)
Noisy Face (かおケンケン)
Pyramet (ピラメット)
Paper Crane (かみかみ)
Rolling Riceball (ローリングむすび)
Double Dragon Strike [not 100% sure on this one] (にとうりゅう)
Dragon Fire [not 100% sure on this one] (かりゅうほう)
Heartpounding Train (ドキドキドレイン)

You can see all of his Gimmicks (minus the Tail Wag) in action in this video! And the Tail Wag is in this video.

Also, just in case you want to use this as well, DeMille's party has six Extreme Attacks. DeMille is always in battle and cannot be removed, but you choose your partner - each of the three other characters have two Extreme Attacks that they perform alongside DeMille. They aren't Gimmicks, so to speak, but they are attacks DeMille can perform, so...

Aresa:
Mecha-Mecha Panic
Tomato Robo Mk. II

Sofubi:
Sunny Sometimes??
Gulp Choco

Rereku:
Mole Rush
Pasaran's Song

There you go! Hopefully this helps you out!

GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 is correct - at present, there's no English patch for the game's script. There is the live translation series he mentioned, though. But in addition to that, there's also an English menu patch they released after the live translation series had finished, available right here! It translates menus, though the script is still untouched. Hopefully a full translation gets made at some point!

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Right then, here you go! DeMille's Gimmicks, in order of when they're obtained. Japanese names are included so you can reference them if you're looking at a list or something:

Gear Yo-yo (はぐるまヨーヨー)
Magnet Hand (マグネハンド)
Angry Volcano (いかりかざん)
K-Woof Woof (Kワンワン)
Snea-Car (スニー・カー)
Chomper (カミカミ)
Tail Wag (しっぽブンブン)
Banana Snowboard (バナナスノボー)
Turtle Shell Glove (きっこうグローブ)

In addition, there are a selection of optional Gimmicks you can obtain from a character named Kaizo - he becomes available once you enter the third Super Kid's town. You don't need to get all of them, or even any of them, but they're given to you in a specific order if you choose to do so. Here are those optional ones! I don't remember with 100% certainty the order they come in, but I've put them in the order I THINK you get them in.

Linear Glove (リニアグローブ)
King Meow (ニャンかんおう)
Noisy Face (かおケンケン)
Pyramet (ピラメット)
Paper Crane (かみかみ)
Rolling Riceball (ローリングむすび)
Double Dragon Strike [not 100% sure on this one] (にとうりゅう)
Dragon Fire [not 100% sure on this one] (かりゅうほう)
Heartpounding Train (ドキドキドレイン)

You can see all of his Gimmicks (minus the Tail Wag) in action in this video! And the Tail Wag is in this video.

Also, just in case you want to use this as well, DeMille's party has six Extreme Attacks. DeMille is always in battle and cannot be removed, but you choose your partner - each of the three other characters have two Extreme Attacks that they perform alongside DeMille. They aren't Gimmicks, so to speak, but they are attacks DeMille can perform, so...

Aresa:
Mecha-Mecha Panic
Tomato Robo Mk. II

Sofubi:
Sunny Sometimes??
Gulp Choco

Rereku:
Mole Rush
Pasaran's Song

There you go! Hopefully this helps you out!

GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 is correct - at present, there's no English patch for the game's script. There is the live translation series he mentioned, though. But in addition to that, there's also an English menu patch they released after the live translation series had finished, available right here! It translates menus, though the script is still untouched. Hopefully a full translation gets made at some point!
It's a shame, really, that we have a translated script but not an actual patch. All it would take is for somebody to take that script and apply it into code and the game would be playable in English. If I had knowledge of coding I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Or even if they just transcribed that live translation down, it would be easy to play through. I found it annoying trying to play along with them. That being said I graduate from college next week for computer science and I've been super interested in learning about rom hacks and the like. Maybe I'll look into how to do it. The GBA is a pretty commonly hacked type so bound to be lots of tutorials and references and the script is out there. Who knows a few years from now people will be playing my patch. Or it'll be like all the other dead projects and abandoned projects on the site.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Or even if they just transcribed that live translation down, it would be easy to play through. I found it annoying trying to play along with them. That being said I graduate from college next week for computer science and I've been super interested in learning about rom hacks and the like. Maybe I'll look into how to do it. The GBA is a pretty commonly hacked type so bound to be lots of tutorials and references and the script is out there. Who knows a few years from now people will be playing my patch. Or it'll be like all the other dead projects and abandoned projects on the site.
Congrats on graduating college! And I hope a few years down the line I'll be playing your patch.

Demarlion

Smash Cadet
Thanks! Though I may have to leave the Extreme Attacks out, since those technically qualify as outside help (Aresa, Sofubi, and Rereku are more like a Luigi gig; capable as counting as their own combatants, unlike the idea of Cappy, who simply give a power-up boost or so)

Though possibly not Pasaran's song, since he did get it before Rereku joined

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
It's a shame, really, that we have a translated script but not an actual patch. All it would take is for somebody to take that script and apply it into code and the game would be playable in English. If I had knowledge of coding I'd do it in a heartbeat.
It wouldn't be quite that simple - since their translation series is just a regular playthrough, and not a 100% run or anything like that, there's lots of stuff like side quests and areas they never explored that are left untranslated for their series. It would certainly be a big help, though! Best of luck if you do decide to give the project a shot.

Thanks! Though I may have to leave the Extreme Attacks out, since those technically qualify as outside help (Aresa, Sofubi, and Rereku are more like a Luigi gig; capable as counting as their own combatants, unlike the idea of Cappy, who simply give a power-up boost or so)

Though possibly not Pasaran's song, since he did get it before Rereku joined
Oh, I see! Didn't quite get how it worked. Either way, I'm interested to see what you make! :)

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It wouldn't be quite that simple - since their translation series is just a regular playthrough, and not a 100% run or anything like that, there's lots of stuff like side quests and areas they never explored that are left untranslated for their series. It would certainly be a big help, though! Best of luck if you do decide to give the project a shot.
Yeah, I'm aware that it doesn't cover everything but that's a similar problem most games without full patches suffer from. A rudimentary patch that at least covered the main scenario would at least make the game accessible.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
So...anyone got any ideas on how DeMille's reveal trailer would go?
I always picture it starting with Kirby cooking up some stuff in his cooking pot, with a pile of three or four Maxim Tomatoes next to him. The camera would pan back and forth as he grabs one, puts it in the pot, stirs it in, and repeats. When he reaches for the last one, though, a foot stomps down on the tomato and crushes it - the camera pans up to reveal, "DeMille Drops In!"

Then it'd be a gameplay reel showing off his abilities. I think it'd be cool if, in one scene, he faces off against Mario and Luigi, where they knock him around a bit, and then he retaliates with his Final Smash, where he would call on his own allies! A cool callback to how DeMille's game inspired the combat of Mario and Luigi. It'd be especially cool if Mario and Luigi attacked from the left side of the screen, while DeMille stood on the right, in reference to the battle systems of M+L vs Tomato Adventure.

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
I'd absolutely love DeMille in Smash, I support!
Awesome! Thanks for the support! That brings us to 19 supporters! :)

--

The Hero and Banjo-Kazooie are officially in. Would anyone here like to say congratulations? I’ve already said mine!
It's been a while since I last popped onto the site, so I missed the chance to say congrats before the Hero got released... but congrats to both! DQ and Banjo-Kazooie are both excellent, so they're both awesome to have. :)

--

On another note, AlphaDream played some role in the development of the recently released Kedama no Gonjiro: Fit and Run, which seems to be an auto-runner game for mobile devices. I looked into it a bit, and Gonjiro looks to be a fairly new mascot character for kids in Japan - he just got an anime series, has a bunch of merchandise and stuff, and this game seems to be a tie-in of sorts with the anime. I guess they're aiming to be the next fad. :p

I point this out because this is the first new project we've seen from AlphaDream since they posted that new Tomato Adventure art back in July of last year (wow, a whole year already!) So this game might be one of the mobile projects they were hiring for. Either way, we still know nothing of the console projects they've said they're working on! So... maybe those are on the horizon now, too? :)

Also, to keep the thread posted on all of their updates, they recently made another blog post. Nothing too special, seems to talk about how to propose new game ideas at the company. And in case anyone's curious, that new art is indeed still up!

Last edited:
Top Bottom