• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dropped Characters

D

Deleted member

He was weak in SSBB too. I think that most PT players prefer the SSBU PT over SSBB PT.
I do too. A lack of stamina mechanics and type-effectiveness is always nice, but I haven't had much success with him. Squirtle's too weak for me, so I almost never use him unless me or my foe has low %, while Charizard no longer has Rock Smash, making him more risky.

I still get rare victories with Pokemon Trainer however.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Why would they care about balance of a game that isn't even theirs to work on?

Even if they did care, could they really do anything about it now that the game is out?
Squeenix gave Nintendo barely anything to work with when designing FF representation in Smash. Cloud being one of the best fighters (and arguably the best in doubles) in Smash 4 may or may not have been an unintended consequence. Now that Cloud's viability is being challenged, with only 2 songs and no rights given to Nintendo for an English VA, Squeenix may be left with barely any legitimate claims in Smash.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Now that Cloud's viability is being challenged, with only 2 songs and no rights given to Nintendo for an English VA, Squeenix may be left with barely any legitimate claims in Smash.
Yeah, I understand the whole thing about Square being stingy with their content as well as the two broken DLC fighters screwing with the balance of Smash 4, but you kind of lost me with this phrase at the end.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Yeah, I understand the whole thing about Square being stingy with their content as well as the two broken DLC fighters screwing with the balance of Smash 4, but you kind of lost me with this phrase at the end.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say.
Squeenix better step their game up if they want people to appreciate their content.
SEGA, Capcom, Bamco and Konami gave us a ton of ton of content. Squeenix gave us the bare minimum, not even the rights to a English VA. I find it hard to believe that we're getting another Squeenix rep when this is all we've gotten from arguably Squeenix's brain child.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Smash 64:

:link64: - Ever since I've been introduced to Link from the LOZOTT, I've been fascinated by him as a character. For a while, Mario and Diddy Kong were my favorite characters. Even though Link was clearly a bad character, it really didn't matter to me since I would be playing FFA with my friends and I was not aware of the competitive scene back then. If Link didn't appear in Smash, I probably would have mained Mario instead.

Melee:

:linkmelee: - A few years after Smash 64 went by and Link was still by far my favorite Nintendo character. His playstyle felt similar to the smash 64, but with a upgraded recovery on going able to grapple on the stage made me want to stick this character around. I've dabbled with Young Link, but I ultimately chose to go with Link, due to having superior range and strength.

:marthmelee: - When I saw Marth for the first time, he was a brutal character to fight against to unlock the character. His attacks came out quick and dealt so much knockback. After unlocking Marth and trying him out, he quickly became my main and I enjoyed the fact that he speaks in Japanese and its a character that I was unfamiliar with at the time. Shiek gave Link major problems, so I figured I can use Marth to combat against fast characters like Fox and Sheik. Plus, he had that anime appearance, so I wanted to keep that tradition going. From there, I just became a Marth main and would randomly bust out Link for fun. Again, I wasn't aware they had tournaments, so I played the game casually.

Brawl:

:pit:- My first reaction when I saw Pit was "wow, this is a Link with projectiles, anime appearance, but with an amazing recovery". I quickly fell in love with the character and his playstyle fit well for me for a while. Then I realize that he had trouble killing, which lead to some issues against characters that are heavy and play a really strong ground based game, where most of Pits attacks are all aerials.

The whole "Pit and Zero Suit Samus" meme really got me more invested in maining the character when a situation like that happened in real life. I had the appearance on having a really young face for my age (in comparison to other college kids that have a much older face) inspired me to main Pit and my maturity back then was much younger.

When I tried Link, everything that made Link "decent" had all been lost in translation, such as the semi-spike on his up B, tether grab replacing the ability to grapple on the walls for possible recovery mixup options, his attacks felt slower, and his movement overall felt sluggish. Therefore, I decided to completely abandon him for Pit.

:diddy:- Diddy was a character I wanted to explore, but was hesitant to try because I heavily invested on Pit. During the GameBattles Ladder (Wi-Fi battles), I would get decent results with Pit, but it wasn't enough for me to place top 32 in the playoffs with a high win record. So i wasn't really sure on where to turn. One day my brother and I played Donkey Kong Country during the early Brawl days. Because he was older, he would play DK, and me being the younger brother played Diddy and I actually liked Diddy as a character and I enjoyed watching the Donkey Kong Country show. Also, Diddy was my main in Diddy Kong Racing. In doing some research, I stumbled upon a really good Diddy player at the time, Nanerz, who was an amazing Diddy Kong player with the ability to use the bananas to its fullest potential got me invested to try out Diddy and to apply the techniques I watched. When I played Diddy on the GameBattles Ladder, I had gotten much better results and it became clear that Diddy should be my main and leave Pit in the dust and only bust him out on matchups Diddy would struggle in (or janky stages). I felt like the results I had at offline tournaments really paid off with Diddy from GameBattles and he actually was the character that helped me develop some friendships through winning several tournaments.

Smash 4:

:4greninja:- Greninja intrigued me when I saw the trailer and what a badass MOFO he is. I chose him as my starter from X and Y and the character himself naturally clicked with me. After they heavily nerfed Greninjas tools that made him good caused me to find a new character to work on. I thought of using Diddy, but with the nerf on pulling out one banana instead of two and the fact they disappear after hitting the opponent limited my creativeness on his banana game, plus his recovery felt weird just made me not to invest my time on Diddy. The whole time I mained Greninja, I had Pit as a secondary, so I decided to devote all of my attention on him.

:4pit:- Pit was a character I always enjoyed on a personal level and the reasons are exactly the same from Brawl Pit. Playing the Kid Icarus Uprising Series has gotten me to maintain my interest in him throughout all the years. Despite his playstyle being different from Brawl, his simplicity on using him really clicked with me. Through the first few years, Pit was able to keep up with stride. However, when DLC's came out, it made the job that much more difficult for Pit to keep up with the meta, not to mention that players started to get better with their neutral games along with improving their combo game. If I would have used anyone else, I probably would have given up that main a long time ago and just used the DLC. Because Pit is my favorite Nintendo character, I wanted to stick him out through the end. At that point, I pretty much retired from going to Smash tournaments, so I decided to stick with Pit until the end, despite the recent challenges the fallen angel had to face.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Touch :ultgnw: for a little bit and stop afterwards. People think he'll carry with the improve bucket alone, but the rest of his kit feels like he's steadily returning to Melee status.

Slowly dropping :ultrichter: (and :ultsimon: I guess) since I'm not liking their recovery options.

Having issues with :ultisabelle: since she's not as setup savvy as :ultvillager:, but I don't plan on dropping her.

I would drop :ultsamus: for :ultdarksamus:, but I like both so I won't.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I haven't dropped any characters but I found Zelda to be stout in this one. I never played Metaknight but I had a hard time playing with him in the Classic Mode.

D

Deleted member

Wolf feels completely different from Brawl, and I just can’t enjoy using him as much as I used to.

Ike’s playstyle worked with Sm4sh’s more defensive playstyle, but he just isn’t working in Ultimate, which is a more aggressive game.

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
In Melee I dropped the characters I enjoyed (:mewtwomelee::nessmelee::linkmelee::dkmelee:) for :falconmelee: because I actually wanted to play the game and you can't do that with the fun characters.

Brawl I stuck with :snake::rob::wario::dedede:.

Smash 4 I picked up:4marth: but dropped him when starting ultimate because winning with him is boring and easy. I wanted so much to main :4pacman: in smash 4 but he just didn't click with me. Had a brief stint with :4shulk: but I wasn't really feeling it.

In Ultimate I am dropping :ultwario: because they changed 2 of the most important things for me, his dash attack and bike. I just don't click with him anymore.

I'm thinking of dropping :ultlittlemac: and :ultkingdedede: because they get ****ed by the popular picks (:ultpikachu::ultsimon::ultchrom::ultkrool:) so hard that its near unplayable for someone at my skill level.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
I felt like Captain Falcon started to suck more and more in later Smashes.

I keep saying its me who starts sucking but in earlier games, i can kick out enemies with ease at low % but in later Smashes, i seem to have grown old.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In Smash 64, I choose Pikachu and DK exclusively. It where the characters I bonded with most. And their play style was cool with me as well.

In Melee, I initially kept on playing Pikachu for a while. I didn’t stuck with DK at first. The lack of Diddy in Melee made me sour or so. I much later picked up DK thanks to Captain Jack (RIP bro). For the most part, Mewtwo was my main. Dropped him cause I discovered he was Bottom Tier much later. Pikachu was dropped due to its aerial game changing wayyyy too much from 64. Thunder also felt weaker.. and I just didn’t feel for the character at much no more.

In Brawl, I stuck with the Kongs most of the time. Diddy first, DK second. Played tons of characters for fun as well. Ike became a solid secondary since.

In Smash 4 I dropped nobody. Picked up Mewtwo again. Picked up Ness. Tried Pikachu but no. Lucian became a secondary, and still is. Toon Link suddenly perfectly clicked with me too.

In Ultimate, I have tons of fun with literally all before mentioned characters. Still a Diddy main. Picked up a little K.Rool but shame to say, I can’t do much with him. My love for Pikachu is back again. And I love the Links, and play all FE Sword Lords for fun. Diddy is Munich 10000% ever main, DK, Mewtwo and Ike loyal secondaries. Ness, Lucina, any given Link I feel like playing and Pikachu are sort of tertiary characters.

I kinda dropped Sheik since Ultimate cause the Needles suck and her overall flow doesn’t feel nice. Also, Impa as a Sheik Echo didn’t happen, and that was a reason for me to pick Sheik up in 4.

So in short, I never really drop characters. And if I do, it’s not forever.

Last edited:

DodgerAkame

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
DODG#897
Switch FC
SW613227413825
In Brawl, I've picked Lucas (but was playing kind of serious casual). He was like one of my favorite gameplay, so I've stuck to him.

When Smash 4 was announced, I've wished for him to come back, and we'll, it was an emotional ride. But he felt good after this experience in Brawl, and I could use him in competitive play, so I kept him.

For Ultimate, I had planned to surely keep him as a second as I thought he wouldn't get too much changed. Hah. Didn't check what changes he got. When I got him unlocked, I went to training mode to see if he's still the Lucas I know and expected, and the surprise that all the things I knew were gone. Ye I still have some good stuff, but I feel it's like learning a new character again, and I don't want to. I kept my Smash 4 main, my real old smash 4 second, and got a new second and a pocket, but Lucas is for freeplay now, I don't like how he was changed.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
While I keep :ultpit: as my main while having :ultinkling::ultpiranha::ultdarkpit::ultsonic: as side piece mains and :ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ulttoonlink: as subs (with :ultlink::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultroy::ultchrom::ultyounglink: being for fun), I had to drop :ultmario: as a main/sub and just use him for fun and subs...something about him in Ultimate doesn’t feel right to me. Maybe it’s because I’m too used to Pit’s playstyle or some sort of new bad-luck charm after years of mostly using Mario in every game he’s playable in, but I can’t get many wins with him outside of WoL or Spirit Battles...

...sad yet still loyal

Top Bottom