• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Drop your shield! Bayonetta's Fair Mix-up.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
I made this thread specifically for options to counteract grab happy or shield happy characters. As many of you may know, it has become somewhat of a meta to the opposition to believe that the most optimal options against Bayonetta's offense is to wait and shield an attack.

Before getting onto the topic in hand I would like to state that Bayo's grab is not the best, most if not all players know that, and in competitive play the most common approach option (ESPECIALLY ON BAYO) is to run and shield. I would like you guys to test this, run to your opponent, tap shield and buffer the A button for grab, works like 85% of the time for the fact that your opponent has to respect you.

Now back to the topic, characters which rely on a heavy grab game such as Bowser or DK will rely to punish based on your reactions or inputs. Against bigger characters its safe to to say that you can short hop Fair 1 bounce over shields because it was cancel grab if they challenge or you will be safe from grab range. After Fair 1 most opposing players drop their shield to either:

A. Turn around grab
B. Turn around Jab or tilt
C. OoSO (Out of Shield Option)
D. Special move
E. Item (Diddy, Rob, Peach)

These are going to your opponents faster punish options, however Bayonetta has the strongest punish game in all of smash 4 for a reason, which are her follow ups. Fair 1 shield bounce towards (DI towards opponent up to you are behind them) can lead up to angled ABKs, or you cross them up with a regular ABK and proceed with a death combo or optimal damage follow up. With the exception of some OoSO, your opponent with not be fast enough to punish you while they are in a shield drop animation. During shield drop frames bayonetta is fast enough to input ABK.

Another option for OoSO happy players or item tossers is you input witch time a little before you land. It's much more easier against item tossers like diddy because you can see the throw animation, OoSO is going to be based on reads and player habits (Mario up smash, Sheik nair, Bowser's up b). I also recommend the most optimal punish from 40% and higher when closer to the sides is to tap grounded side B to down smash on ledge.

So Fair 1's safe option select punish on shield is:

1. Reset Neutral
2. ABK towards or away.
3. Angle ABK
4. Bair
5. Witch time

Thats all for now if I miss anything let me know. I also did not include witch twist because it isn't as on platform stages but its safer if you can land away safely if followed by an angled ABK.

Tythaeus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX-R4GE-Xx
3DS FC
4038-7179-8613
cant you Fast fall FAir1 into an grab? or play around with the timings with Fair1 and Fair2 to try to trigger an reaction shieldgrab and hit with Fair2
I don't believe you can FF Fair 1 into grab but I have seen people mix up Fair 1 Fair 2 on shields.

ElMoro995

Smash Cadet
FF Fair1 to grab is true when its not on shield, but I do wonder if the shield stun is enough for an grab
Nope, her grab is f7 and fair1 has 14frames of landing lag. To make FF fair1->grab true on shield, fair1 should deal at least 33% (lol)

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Funny, this might be the answer to my DK problem.
Bayos grab really makes me aggressive sometimes. In some MU's it's downright useless aside from a few niche situations, just because of the short range.

Top Bottom