• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Drastic Improvement

Codey

Smash Rookie
Wow started ******* around on smashboards and ended up reading this whole post. Great writeup, a lot of helpful tips. Is it just me or is #3 directed at M2K? XD

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
So I just read this during a decently long busride and felt like being the 47th person to comment on the only having 1 character.

I agree that having 1 main is best (though I believe 2 is doable) but I don't agree on only playing said main. If I main marth and I struggle with the sheik matchup something that can help tremendously is playing sheik and figuring out her weaknesses. I feel that feeling the characters weaknesses first hand works a lot better than someone just telling that her movement sucks for example.
Multi-maining is good for games like PM or Smash 4 where there's a lot of characters to main all in different tiers. Melee isn't as good since there's like 8 viable characters and the rest are really just laughable at best. For example I main Shulk and Pac-Man in Smash 4, but I stick to Marth in Melee. It's just really on how the MU is built around the game and it's charicters...

D

Deleted member

Multi-maining is good for games like PM or Smash 4 where there's a lot of characters to main all in different tiers. Melee isn't as good since there's like 8 viable characters and the rest are really just laughable at best. For example I main Shulk and Pac-Man in Smash 4, but I stick to Marth in Melee. It's just really on how the MU is built around the game and it's charicters...
i have known jason for a very long time, and it is not direct at him or anyone. if i wanted anything directed at jason, it would be #1 anyway.

Jam+

Button presser
This was a great read, and increbily helpful. Thank you!

Tilting (and subsequently losing focus and potential learning opportunities) has been an issue for me in my quest to improve.

My mindset was truly horrible (and indeed, detrimental); I would beat myself up, get salty after losing a braindead game from focusing to heavily on execution in the early stages of muscle memory development, gripe internally about what I perceived to be a lack of skill (or devotion to a higher standard of 'correct' play) from my opponents.. ya know, basically nothing conducive to actually improving.

Removing emotion from my play was a huge leap forward for me, and though it's not a toggle, keeping a postive mindset and just generally being more relaxed has helped my focus and quality of play tremendously.

TL;DR 11/10, would introspect again. :3 <3

D

Deleted member

i intend to finish this for good by the end of the year since theres only a little bit left that ive been putting off forever

i'd also like the finished version to be re-stickied for maybe 2-3 months into 2016, but it can be removed again after

BuTR

Smash Rookie
This is such an amazing read. As someone who's been very much wanting to improve, this really helped a lot with how to think about the game as a whole. I can see myself coming back to this post frequently to reread and further understand the information.

D

Deleted member

Okay guys, this is it. To the mods, I'm breaking the rules for the year+ necro and posting, but please leave this as an exception.

This thread is the closest thing I have to my own "personal space" on smashboards. I am posting here to say that I am packing it in and quitting the game and community permanently. Smash has been something I've carried with me for more than half my life- I lurked smashboards in 2000 for 2 years before joining in 2002. I would have been 14 years old, and I'm 30 now. All things considered, it's been a good run. But my life is taking a different turn going forward and I need to respect that without looking back. I'm selling everything I own, including my video games stuff. If anyone wants anything off me before I go, here's this:

http://erie.craigslist.org/tag/5988880978.html

Sooner is better, I'll definitely be gone by April but likely before then as well. Feel free to text me work something out, **** talk me, say goodbye, whatever.

@Dr Peepee I would like you to permanently ban my account and lock this thread.

It's been real guys, good luck out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I played you at Apex. You're a good Roy. Have a good life. I'm probably going to do the same. Probably. Plus I used this guide religiously. Thanks for your contributions to the community.

Last edited:

StudebacherHoch

Smash Rookie
Max, you beautiful *******. You've given so much time, so much energy to this community. Tirelessly, sarcastically, Umbreon-esquely. I see you as the initial point of my betterment. Not only in your guide, but as a friend.

Find me in AK, brother.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Peace! A true OG of smashboards and smash. Hope to see you if you roll through upstate

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
I'm just gonna post here before the thread gets locked.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
I know this is about PLAYING smash, but what the developers could have done to drastically IMPROVE the DESIGN of smash was to
MAKE KICKS HIGHER SO THEY DON'T COMBO BREAK!!!111111!!1!1!!!!11!

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
Great guide highly recommend this guide for anyone looking to improve quickly!

YashiWins

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4650-5745-8993
Wow, this topic is so relevant. I am looking at this from a Smash Ultimate standpoint and it is beyond valuable. Thanks so much!

Top Bottom